HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers work overtime to Conquer Pittsburgh

Old
11-16-2010, 09:51 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
My math came out to, since the lockout - in Pittsburgh

Powerplays:

Bettman: 110
NYR: 85

Sad, but not surprising

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:55 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
My issues were

- The missed hook on the Dubi breakaway

- The Crosby slash on Girardi

- The Malkin dive

- The Gaborik penalty

With regards to the Crosby trip on Lundqvist i am really not sure if he meant it but one thing i will say is that if it was a trip on Fleury it would most certainly have been called. I have to say also that i didn't think Crosby was as whiny as usual, i think he has most definitely matured but when things happen like they did last night it only increases my hatred of the Pens.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:57 AM
kovazub94

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Boogaard didn't play last night, chief.
Oops it was MDZ.

Sorry, good lesson not to post with a head cold and a fever going.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:58 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

What's funny is that after the first period was over, I thought to myself that officiating was actually good. The 3rd period, in particular, really changed that.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:00 AM
pwoz

The go-ahead goal was offside, just like the Hossa winner in round 2.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:27 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

It not the ratio so much as WHEN the refs seem to give the Pens the "advantage"

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:35 AM
John Torturella

My favorite was when Avery got a minor for unsportsmanlike. He did not do anything there. Avery is the only player who gets in trouble for simply talking.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:36 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
My favorite was when Avery got a minor for unsportsmanlike. He did not do anything there. Avery is the only player who gets in trouble for simply talking.
No. Avery served the penalty for Lundqvist.

11-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
No. Avery served the penalty for Lundqvist.
I think he referred to the off-setting minors to Cooke and Avery in the 1st period.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I, for one, would rather focus on the positive, the WIN.

This is the way our team will have to do it, so shrug it off and move on to the next battle.

The ice is always going to be tilted the wrong way. Come to terms with it, and leave it at that. The victories will be that much sweeter.

We have the makings of a great team. A team that battles every game. I'm going to enjoy it.

I hereby dismiss all negativity: No throwing our players under the bus as long as they wear Ranger Blue, let the coach deal with players. No booing any Ranger players. No griping about offciating, we can't do anything about it anyway. No *****ing about Sather, we have what we have, let's make the most of it.

If this team continues to play this way, I will be a loyal fan.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
I think he referred to the off-setting minors to Cooke and Avery in the 1st period.
Exactly. If Crosby had done the EXACT same thing Avery did there, I'd bet any amount of money you wouldn't see Crosby in the box.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:08 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Exactly. If Crosby had done the EXACT same thing Avery did there, I'd bet any amount of money you wouldn't see Crosby in the box.
What does that matter though? The refs handed out 2 penalties on the incident.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Go Lundqvist:

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz15RpKRTSe

He's right. Finally someone said it outloud.
M.Richards basically said the same thing Lundqvist did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmgT15PTUjA

This is NYR thread but I think it's relevant. (kind of?)

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
What does that matter though? The refs handed out 2 penalties on the incident.
It doesn't matter. I'm just making the point that certain players are treated differently.

Old
11-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
The league should just make the Pens their own "special Cup" and let them parade that all year round and let Cindy be happy that way. Can't stand the special treatment they get. I wonder about that 3rd in the league stat in minor penalties, are the majority some make up calls at the end of a game when the game is almost over. Im Still at a lose how Malkin did not get suspended in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals for instigating that fight in the final 19 seconds of Game 2.
didn't malkin get away with an incredibly obvious slew foot on paul mara in the playoffs a few years ago?

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:41 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi17 View Post
didn't malkin get away with an incredibly obvious slew foot on paul mara in the playoffs a few years ago?
Yep. No punishment for that either. Malkin is dirty, dirty player.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:41 AM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

the lundqvist penalty at the juncture of the game it was called was beyond ridiculous. the crosby slash on dg was a bad miss. the refs were channeling their inner bill mccreary

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Ice Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Frankly, that tells me nothing. I'd like to see the amount of penalties called, 1) in Pittsburgh, 2) in the 3rd period, and 3) when Pittsburgh is tied or down a goal. Spouting generalities means absolutely squat, and hardly addresses the matter.
me too. pittsburgh gets away with more than their opponents when i watch them.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:44 AM
DutchShamrock

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not out to get you."

This isn't a conspiracy, but that doesn't mean the refs aren't doing a bad job, it doesn't mean they aren't biased, and it doesn't mean they aren't influenced by the environment.... things they should all be above but clearly are not.

There was a study a few years ago about home vs away and the penalties called. Basically the home team truly does have an advantage. So factor 1 is there. Factor 2 is you have Malkin and Crosby, the league/officials obviously let them have a buffer. The NBA is the most blatant, but we have it too. These two were the worst last night, but the star factor helped them out. That's why this is so glaring, Pens at home with Malkin/Crosby doing the most outside of the rules.

Factor 3 is us. I'm not saying its a conscious thing, but there is some bias against us. Maybe its AVH with the Kovalev/Quebec thing. Maybe it's Bettman and the Sakic offer sheet. Maybe it was our UFA and trade deadline acquisitions that just sat poorly with guys. But we've been victims of double standards for the better part of a decade. Be it NJ getting calls that we don't. Be it the Pens. Be it anyone frankly, we used up our karma points years ago and I think there is this perception about the Rangers that kills us.

The simple fact that its been 3 season since we last were denied a powerplay in a full tilt and the fact that the Pens are the 3rd most penalized team shows you how rare this really is. There were obvious penalties. You watch any other game and a team gets a 4 or 5 penalty hole, you start seeing phantom equalizers. It almost always gets closer to even than -7.

I watch a lot of Flyer games. It seems like a strategy at this point. They go out in the first and take a ton of penalties. Roughing, slashing, high sticks... they get in a hole quick. Maybe its for intimidation, but eventually the refs stop calling it because the Flyers have been in the box so much. By the end, the Flyers get their own run of pp's and the refs are giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Last night, the refs were gift wrapped opportunities to kill the bias/lopsided tag. They not only ignored those opportunities, they seemed to get more ticky tac with our infractions. With Campbell in the news, you can no longer dismiss the calls of biased personel. There is some credence here.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:46 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Henrik is the man. Just wanted to say that.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Henrik is the man. Just wanted to say that.
Agreed

Old
11-16-2010, 11:47 AM
MikeGartner22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but two more blatant non-calls that stuck out to me were Crosbaby running into Lundqvist, and when DZ was battling in the corner a Pens player went down (forgot who) and was holding onto DZ's stick for a good 5 seconds. I was watching the game online so it went in and out at certain points.

edit: and the call on Gaborik too
Additionally, prior the the matching roughing minors to MDZ and Evgeni "slew foot" Malkin, the big man gave MDZ a monster elbow to the chops right in front of the net. Malkin sure dives alot.

MikeGartner22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:53 AM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not out to get you."

This isn't a conspiracy, but that doesn't mean the refs aren't doing a bad job, it doesn't mean they aren't biased, and it doesn't mean they aren't influenced by the environment.... things they should all be above but clearly are not.

There was a study a few years ago about home vs away and the penalties called. Basically the home team truly does have an advantage. So factor 1 is there. Factor 2 is you have Malkin and Crosby, the league/officials obviously let them have a buffer. The NBA is the most blatant, but we have it too. These two were the worst last night, but the star factor helped them out. That's why this is so glaring, Pens at home with Malkin/Crosby doing the most outside of the rules.

Factor 3 is us. I'm not saying its a conscious thing, but there is some bias against us. Maybe its AVH with the Kovalev/Quebec thing. Maybe it's Bettman and the Sakic offer sheet. Maybe it was our UFA and trade deadline acquisitions that just sat poorly with guys. But we've been victims of double standards for the better part of a decade. Be it NJ getting calls that we don't. Be it the Pens. Be it anyone frankly, we used up our karma points years ago and I think there is this perception about the Rangers that kills us.

The simple fact that its been 3 season since we last were denied a powerplay in a full tilt and the fact that the Pens are the 3rd most penalized team shows you how rare this really is. There were obvious penalties. You watch any other game and a team gets a 4 or 5 penalty hole, you start seeing phantom equalizers. It almost always gets closer to even than -7.

I watch a lot of Flyer games. It seems like a strategy at this point. They go out in the first and take a ton of penalties. Roughing, slashing, high sticks... they get in a hole quick. Maybe its for intimidation, but eventually the refs stop calling it because the Flyers have been in the box so much. By the end, the Flyers get their own run of pp's and the refs are giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Last night, the refs were gift wrapped opportunities to kill the bias/lopsided tag. They not only ignored those opportunities, they seemed to get more ticky tac with our infractions. With Campbell in the news, you can no longer dismiss the calls of biased personel. There is some credence here.
Wow excellent post! Something really has to be done about the officiating in this league. I especially love how Crosby takes Lundqvist's skates out and that incidental contact. A few games ago Fedetenko skates near the crease and the defender knocks into his own goalie and somehow that's a penalty on Fedetenko. It's just frustrating because there is absolutely no consistency with calls from game to game.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 12:36 PM
OverTheCap

We saw it in the 2008 playoffs when Lundqvist was shutting down the Pens in Game 3... when Crosby and Malkin can't score, they get extremely frustrated and undisiciplined. Even if they dominate territorially, they will lash out in frustration, at times in the offensive zone.

It happened once again last night and it is beyond comprehension how the refs can turn a blind eye to it. Malkin's elbow on DZ. Crosby taking out Lundqvist's skates. When these calls are continually overlooked while the Rangers are penalized for lesser transgressions, time and time again, it's hard to say it's just bad officiating.

And I understand that stars get the benefit of the doubt with officiating, but then how come Gaborik and Lundqvist weren't afforded the same courtesy for their respective penalties?

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
We saw it in the 2008 playoffs when Lundqvist was shutting down the Pens in Game 3... when Crosby and Malkin can't score, they get extremely frustrated and undisiciplined. Even if they dominate territorially, they will lash out in frustration, at times in the offensive zone.

It happened once again last night and it is beyond comprehension how the refs can turn a blind eye to it. Malkin's elbow on DZ. Crosby taking out Lundqvist's skates. When these calls are continually overlooked while the Rangers are penalized for lesser transgressions, time and time again, it's hard to say it's just bad officiating.

And I understand that stars get the benefit of the doubt with officiating, but then how come Gaborik and Lundqvist weren't afforded the same courtesy for their respective penalties?
They're not big enough stars, duh!