HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The New and Improved Lounge Thread (Contains a list of OT sections)

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2010, 02:38 PM
ScopeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
That's too young to get married I find. But hey, that's just me...
One of the top regrets of middle aged people is not starting a family at a younger age.

I got married at 23 and now I'm 28 and have a 1 one year old kid. If I could, I would have gotten married even younger and had kids earlier.

The main argument for not getting married young is that you lose your 'freedom', but as one ages and gains in wisdom, one discovers that happiness lies in love and not in freedom. May sound corny, but it's true. Fortunate are those who realize this at an early age.

Old
11-16-2010, 02:48 PM
coolasprICE

Rogers cell customer? Get unlimited calling!

After getting yet another $200 + phone bill I called rogers to cancel.

My contract has expired so I'd be able to back out without charges.

The rep forwarded me to customer retention...

Here is what they offered:

unlimited local calling for $35

value pack that included voicemail, caller id, and 2500 text messages (for $10

total = $45 plus taxes ( best part, not making take a new contract -- using my existing phone)

This is an offer you can only get at the 'customer retention' center

My plan before:

200 Minutes
unlimited after 6pm and wkends
only 75 text msgs, unlimited incoming text, caller id/ voice mail

I was paying 55$ plus tax

I'm saving 10 $ plus getting unlimited calls

I know that other phone companies are now offering unlimited calling ; but in case you want to stay with Rogers and getting ripped off with there 200 minute / free evening / wkend scheme -- call now and get unlimited calls for probably cheaper than what you are already paying.... And DO NOT accept a new contract of 3 years.

Old
11-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Lucius

Pretty much every service based company has these deals if you threaten to quit.

But yes, good advice.

Old
11-16-2010, 02:57 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
One of the top regrets of middle aged people is not starting a family at a younger age.

I got married at 23 and now I'm 28 and have a 1 one year old kid. If I could, I would have gotten married even younger and had kids earlier.

The main argument for not getting married young is that you lose your 'freedom', but as one ages and gains in wisdom, one discovers that happiness lies in love and not in freedom. May sound corny, but it's true. Fortunate are those who realize this at an early age.
I agree but only to some extent. Some people find happiness in other avenues, it's one of those to each their own kind of scenarios I guess. Some people are genuinely happy being single/dating and not being locked down

In personal experiences I kind of agree though, would have been nice to already be married 5 years ago, already be getting paid better than I am 5 years ago, have kids now, etc.

I don't want to be 50 when my kids are like 18... I can definitely see the benefits to teenage pregnancy

Seriously though you're like 34 and your kid is 18... wow... girlfriend has a co-worker like that.

Old
11-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Pedro McGuire*

are you in the wrong forum or something?

Old
11-16-2010, 02:59 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tenorman View Post
are you in the wrong forum or something?
na, i just look out for the interest of my fellow hab fans... besides, i could be helping out a Leafs fan if post elsewhere, which is against my value system

Old
11-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

There's a $50 with unlimited Canadian and US long distance and testing as well.

Old
11-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

just got a sweet deal on my new iphone4 w/rogers
also from the retention department

Old
11-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Latendresse too had a wife and a kid at 21...
Had is pretty much the key word here..

I saw Lats personally mingle with the ladies at Opera while he was married.
It wasn't just him. Koivu tried to hook up with a friend of mine at Med.

Fame and Money generally don't match well with being faithful, especially if you add being young.
Quote:

Well, congrats, but what's good for you isn't necessarily good for the rest.

Also, I have no idea where you got the idea that the top regret of men is to not have started a family sooner. I'm guessing it's coming straight out of your arse, no offense.

I was curious about that because it seemed rather crazy to me and found this:
http://sunny1043.radio.com/2010/03/2...regret-really/

It states the opposite of what you're saying. Getting married too soon is the #6 regret.

In this day and age, where ''sex sells'', thinking about marriage and kids at such a young age is becoming more and more rare.
I mean, if having a girl to settle down with and have babies is what you want, then great. But this isn't the norm anymore, not that young and not in our society. Most educated people want to experience new things, travel, meet new people, have fun and make money. Building a family isn't as high as it used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Seriously though you're like 34 and your kid is 18... wow... girlfriend has a co-worker like that.
Wow, for not a good reason. Having a kid while being a teenager just getting out of puberty is idiotic.

I wouldn't want to start living my young life at 34, when it's pretty much dead and over with.

Old
11-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Peacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
just got a sweet deal on my new iphone4 w/rogers
also from the retention department
I got one like a month ago (an iphone 4 from rogers) howd you pull off getting a deal? de-tails

Old
11-16-2010, 03:46 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Wow, for not a good reason. Having a kid while being a teenager just getting out of puberty is idiotic.

I wouldn't want to start living my young life at 34, when it's pretty much dead and over with.
Well it's equally idiotic as people who end their young life at 34. Also I find people who have kids at 50 even more idiotic. You're going to still have a kid at home when you're 66! 50 isn't so bad I guess to have a 16 year old but 65+? I'd rather have a 16 year old son at 34 than be 65 with a 16 year old son haha.

Don't get me wrong though, I agree it is stupid to have a kid prior to being ready but if you're lucky enough to be a professional athlete you can start having kids a 20-21, not like you're going to be around much even if you're 30 anyways.

Old
11-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Well it's equally idiotic as people who end their young life at 34. Also I find people who have kids at 50 even more idiotic. You're going to still have a kid at home when you're 66! 50 isn't so bad I guess to have a 16 year old but 65+? I'd rather have a 16 year old son at 34 than be 65 with a 16 year old son haha.

Don't get me wrong though, I agree it is stupid to have a kid prior to being ready but if you're lucky enough to be a professional athlete you can start having kids a 20-21, not like you're going to be around much even if you're 30 anyways.
Sorry, but I'm just not down with that idea.
What's wrong with ending your young life at 34?..You probably have experienced all the things you wanted by then, you should be well into your career, you should be set financially and mentally. I think it's the perfect time.
Yes, getting a kid at 50 isn't great, but that's not what we're talking about here.

I also don't see how having a kid at 20-21 when your an athlete is good. Having a kid when you have to cope with new found fame, new millionaire status and being gone for half the year isn't quite the ideal scenario.

Old
11-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Zeroknowledge*

I've had the Rogers unlimited plan maybe a week after Videotron's cell phone plans came out, I don't think they give it to just anyone but it's not hard to get it if you're eligible.

Old
11-16-2010, 04:16 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:

I don't want to de-rail the thread but I plan on following the same logic.

The only people who wait until they're 30 to start life are the ones who couldn't start it before that time anyway. Who wants to be 60 years old and be raising teenagers, or 80 and have really young grandkids.

Eller's 21 and he's making almost a million bucks a year, usually money prevents people from getting married young and that definitely isn't a problem for him.

Old
11-16-2010, 05:05 PM
x-bob

Quote:

This is very true. i may still be rather young (21 years old) but I have experienced enough to agree with this statement.

Old
11-16-2010, 05:46 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
The only people who wait until they're 30 to start life are the ones who couldn't start it before that time anyway. Who wants to be 60 years old and be raising teenagers, or 80 and have really young grandkids.
Math!

Old
11-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

It's all about retention.

I got hooked up at bell cause I know the girl who works there, she wrote all this stuff down and dialed retention directly for me, so I got my phone for free (The Samsung galaxy S) with 200 mins, unlimited nights/weekends/texting, voicemail, caller ID, 500MB, basically everything for 45 a month.

Old
11-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
This is very true. i may still be rather young (21 years old) but I have experienced enough to agree with this statement.
It has nothing to do with losing your freedom. This is an old retarded cliché that means very little. You don't have any more ''freedom'' when you're in a relationship, but not married.
Marriage=Family. It's as simple as that. When you're ready to build a family, then you get married and start making some young ones. You have to be mentally and financially ready for that. Starting a family in your early 20's solely because you don't think it would be cool to be 50 while your son is 10 is utterly retarded. You need to put a lot more thought into it.

Not everybody goes through the same things in life, not everybody has the same upbringing, goals and ambitions.

Personally, I think the people that willingly start a family young is because they don't have much of a social life, or they are way ahead in their life.

Old
11-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

I found this post funny. You postulate that people are increasingly regretting not getting married earlier, however the average age for people getting married for the first time has been going up for years now.

Middle aged people have regrets, but in my circles and amongst people I know and work with, suggesting they would be happier if they got married earlier would be welcomed with hearty laughs and snickers.

Old
11-16-2010, 06:59 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Had is pretty much the key word here..

I saw Lats personally mingle with the ladies at Opera while he was married.
It wasn't just him. Koivu tried to hook up with a friend of mine at Med.

Fame and Money generally don't match well with being faithful, especially if you add being young.

Well, congrats, but what's good for you isn't necessarily good for the rest.

Also, I have no idea where you got the idea that the top regret of men is to not have started a family sooner. I'm guessing it's coming straight out of your arse, no offense.

I was curious about that because it seemed rather crazy to me and found this:
http://sunny1043.radio.com/2010/03/2...regret-really/

It states the opposite of what you're saying. Getting married too soon is the #6 regret.

In this day and age, where ''sex sells'', thinking about marriage and kids at such a young age is becoming more and more rare.
I mean, if having a girl to settle down with and have babies is what you want, then great. But this isn't the norm anymore, not that young and not in our society. Most educated people want to experience new things, travel, meet new people, have fun and make money. Building a family isn't as high as it used to be.

you know what the problem with this mentality is?

birth rate.

Canadians dont have kids anymore. So what happens is that the government is having to open the flood gates to immigration because not enough people are around to cover the available jobs (this will be seen in greater numbers in the near future as the baby boomers are set to retire and there are not enough people to take over their jobs).

Not making kids is starting to be a real problem in Canada, because of what you wrote.

Old
11-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Maxpac

Now that Limewire has been shut down, does anybody know another program that downloads music?

Old
11-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Now that Limewire has been shut down, does anybody know another program that downloads music?
yeah of course but I don't think we are allowed to talk about it here...

speaking of legality, I'd say you should buy Limwire Pro

Old
11-24-2010, 12:47 PM
GoodKiwi

Anyone here lives around Papineau & Rachel? How's the area? Any major grocery stores close by?

Thanks.

Old
11-24-2010, 12:53 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Anyone here lives around Papineau & Rachel? How's the area? Any major grocery stores close by?

Thanks.
You have a Loblaws on Rachel, between Frontenac and St-Michel.

Old
11-30-2010, 02:15 AM
DJFP
Registered DJ

Funny Laraque Page

http://www.georgeslaraque.com/default.asp?mn=1.39.80

If you go to his site and click on business you'll see a shining example of professionalism in the world of business

Closed Thread