HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Botta: WHERE IS THE FRANCHISE-TURNING TALENT? We interrupt this coaching change for a

Old
11-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Sammy2010*

vCash: 500
Botta: WHERE IS THE FRANCHISE-TURNING TALENT? We interrupt this coaching change for a

I have to respect Botta for speaking the truth, over being concerned with what the Isles management thinks of him.

WHERE IS THE FRANCHISE-TURNING TALENT?
We interrupt this coaching change for a reality break

"There’s one significant long-term problem with the Islanders’ rebuilding program, and I believe the organization - deep down - knows it, too. A lot of it has to do with luck and timing. But yes, one of these days the Islanders have to start running the franchise like a professional outfit - not a mom-and-pop store where a few good friends make decisions and tell themselves they can’t wait to prove everybody wrong…one of these years!"

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...reak/#comments

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Today, they merely used a coaching change to change the subject from the bigger picture - how the Islanders are rebuilding, and how the Islanders are run
Does a bear go #2 in the woods?
Yes it does.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:38 PM
JKP

It's awfully early to tell, isn't it, whether the three or four prospects he mentioned pan out. Are they slam dunks like the studs he mentioned? No. But how many teams have those? Sounds a bit like some sour grapes maybe on his part.

Now, I can see asking questions about how they're being developed (lack of surrounding them with some support, rushing Bailey to the NHL, etc.).

But just a couple days ago none other than Pierre McGuire was raving about the young core. It's easy to be down on the team today. But the cupboard certainly isn't as bare as Botta makes out, imo.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
It's awfully early to tell, isn't it, whether the three or four prospects he mentioned pan out. Are they slam dunks like the studs he mentioned? No. But how many teams have those? Sounds a bit like some sour grapes maybe on his part.

Now, I can see asking questions about how they're being developed (lack of surrounding them with some support, rushing Bailey to the NHL, etc.).

But just a couple days ago none other than Pierre McGuire was raving about the young core. It's easy to be down on the team today. But the cupboard certainly isn't as bare as Botta makes out, imo.
we have great young players like bailey, nino, okposo, de haan, hamonic (in no particular order) but none of those are on tavares's level and they need another player on his level whether its on offense or defense.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:51 PM
lacunacoil777

Botta said the other days Rangers and devils give him season media pass. Islanders won't. He has to request one for each game. The ownder and GM wont do a interview with the only media member that covers them besides for Newsday.
Clearly Botta got tired of being disrespected. His blog will be better off now that he doesn't owe them anything. At the end of the day the truth has come out, Wang is "eccentric" at best, most players agents tell the players "wang Is "that strange man down the street" that is just not normal." Every time Wang does an interview it is clear the man is not "normal". Nothing wrong with being "different" but if it ruins my Favorite Hobby (isles) for decades on end..then I have a problem with it.

lacunacoil777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Fan101

Where are the franchise turning fans?

Let's face it, I think management knows that the fans to support a potential winning franchise are not there. True the team has fans in NYC and NJ but they rely on the Nassau-Suffolk geographic area for support. Just like the old Brooklyn Dodgers they have a tradition but no modern facility to play in. I admire Wang for taking on this franchise but it's been a losing battle:

Not enough financial support for a full NHL cap payroll.
No support from an "amateurish" political machine.
Lack of support from a young fan base.
Lack of interest from an aging 80's Glory days fan base.

I believe Wang is committed for another 4 years, but with this roster I doubt any real interest will be there from the fan base or politicians.

Fan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
but none of those are on tavares's level and they need another player on his level whether its on offense or defense.
Tavares isn't even on Tavares' level. He's got a long way to go to prove he can consistently produce in this league, because up to now he just hasn't.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:07 PM
seabass45

To be honest, I kinda expected another high draft pick this upcoming year, and perhaps all of this is for the better. The elite teams all went through at least three years of crappiness and as many as five. Washington got back up quickly with Ovechkin and they certainly helped themselves out with savvy FA pickups. Then again, they could basically market themselves as "Hey, play with a once in a generation talent!" Los Angeles, Chicago, and Pittsburgh were all terrible at one point. All eventually filled their rosters with legit veteran talent to take them to the next level. Of course, all these locations were friendlier to free agents.

On a separate note, it's possible that St. Louis and Columbus are back after some bad years... two other teams that could be back from mediocrity/crappy years.

Since Garth's experiment with overpaying for top defensive talent last year didn't work, he's probably going to have to overpay even more or make a trade... so who should be the top targets? Who can we trade away?

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:10 PM
redbull
respect, earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post

Good post JKP. I must agree with you. I have no problem with the drafting and the prospects, I think they're pretty solid and look promising.

With proper expectations of course.

I won't cry about not having a Crosby or Ovechkin - these players are rare and we don't deserve one just because we suck. Tavares is as good a prospect as we've seen for a #1 overall, no reason to whine about it.

I don't expect Nino or Petrov or Bailey to be superstars but so what. It doesn't mean they can't be the NYI versions of a solid group of forwards that many perpetually good teams build around. That's good enough for me.

Your point about development and surrounding these players with enough support to maximize their potential cannot be overstated - absolutely critical IMO.

Major disappointment there - that's for sure.

I'd love to see the line-up of whiners if Snow had taken Duchene at #1 (as I wanted at the time) and watched Duchene struggle for a year and a half as Tavares won the Calder last year and probably has 12 goals and 25 points so far this year on that team.

I cannot criticize Snow's drafting whatsoever - but it's still early to give him an "A" as well. The drafting is encouraging even though few have "panned out".

It's the rest that's a complete disaster.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:58 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Hmm, his entry sounds eerily similar to something I posted yesterday in the "Is it too early to start thinking about the draft?" thread.

Slowly, as I lose faith in this season, I turn to a top-3 pick.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
The three Bills discussed the Isles' situation on NHL Overtime on Versus earlier -- it's definitely not just the coaching that needs to be looked at but the management, as well. While it's completely okay for a franchise to go through a rebuild, there's a proper way to do so and playing the kids is great -- but if you're not surrounding them with proper influential vets and creating an environment of failure, you're simply doing those young players and the fans a disservice. I really do hope they get this all settled but I fear the worst, especially knowing where Wang stands in terms of his wallet and expenditures. Top-3 picks are great, but how long before an environment is too toxic for them to properly develop?

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 03:01 AM
2LeftSkates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Berry Crunch View Post
Top-3 picks are great, but how long before an environment is too toxic for them to properly develop?
I think we are past that point. The "kids" will be signing elsewhere, first chance they get.

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 06:17 AM
Dice on Ice

Botta continues to be butt-hurt. Shame.

Dice on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Fan101

Too Much Competition

The Isles not only have to compete against two other local NHL teams for fans, but the area has five other major league MLB, NFL and NBA sports teams with high power spending and promotion machines to compete with. With extension of the playoffs and offseason interest in those sports, the Isles barely make it to the table for fan and media interest.

Fan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Isles1

Sorry, I don't buy it one bit. if their is a region that can support 3 teams...this is definately it..

Just look at how the coloseum was packed just a few years ago during the playoffs in 2007 when we filled that place.... and it was loud as hell.

The fans are there, the product on the ice, and the debacle of management has kept them all away.....and I am one of them.

Isles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 12:42 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan101 View Post
The Isles not only have to compete against two other local NHL teams for fans, but the area has five other major league MLB, NFL and NBA sports teams with high power spending and promotion machines to compete with. With extension of the playoffs and offseason interest in those sports, the Isles barely make it to the table for fan and media interest.
Would you buy a Yugo if you owned one before? Would you buy a house from the raltor who screwed you? Would you spend the money on ANY product that has been a disappointment?

Now if GM took over Yugo and made it a far superior product line, would you consider it?

I'd kick the tires and give it time but if it passed muster, the thing I hoped to like and hated could again be something I could get behind.

Of course, I wouldn't blame the lack of sales before that on Ford and Toyota.....the Yugo was a Yugo we can't forget.

STEP 1: fire EVERYONE responsible and sell the company.
STEP 2: address the reputation and quality.
STEP 3: earn the public's trust.

Nowhere in there does it say to blame Ford or Subaru for being there.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Would you buy a Yugo if you owned one before? Would you buy a house from the raltor who screwed you? Would you spend the money on ANY product that has been a disappointment?

Now if GM took over Yugo and made it a far superior product line, would you consider it?

I'd kick the tires and give it time but if it passed muster, the thing I hoped to like and hated could again be something I could get behind.

Of course, I wouldn't blame the lack of sales before that on Ford and Toyota.....the Yugo was a Yugo we can't forget.

STEP 1: fire EVERYONE responsible and sell the company.
STEP 2: address the reputation and quality.
STEP 3: earn the public's trust.

Nowhere in there does it say to blame Ford or Subaru for being there.
Awesome! Every word true. I bought into this rebuild **** storm at first thinking garth had earnest intentions. It's becoming easier to notice the fact that the rebuild was an awesome way to not spend much (until we get a clear sign the lighthouse is going anywhere) while keeping the wolves (fans) at bay (distracted) long enough that they could give us a **** on ice product and we'd eat it up.

The truth is, without KO and Streit the team is a bottom-feeder at it's best and an AHL team at it's worst. The rebuild excuses is starting to lose the interest/credibility of the fan base and Wang is forced to move as there are no signs of the light house going anywhere.

I still go to the games idk why. I still buy merch idk either. I feel so frustrated I want to sell all my isles **** and start rooting for another team, just so I can be on the other end of the joke one time. Or so I can watch my team in the playoffs every couple of years.

Not argue with people about what was our best moment of the last decade a:

A penalty shot in the opening round of the playoffs

Or a poke check made by a backup goaltender in the last game of the season to barely scrape an eighth spot.

**** this!!!

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 03:09 PM
okie21

I think the part about this that makes it toughest, obviously, is the fact that we've been so bad for so long. If this team had won a few rounds in the playoffs and given us something to really cheer about in those 3 years (02-04) when we had playoff hockey then it might be a bit easier to swallow right now. If we weren't heading into the 18th straight year without winning a playoff series it might give people more patience to see what these kids become when they even just hit there early 20's, to see what becomes of the Kirill's situations and actually wait and see what DeHann, Hamonic and Nino become after a few seasons of the NHL under their belt. This is really just the third season of this rebuild, and unless you really hit the jackpot early you probably won't see much results so quickly. The Blackhawks went from 01-02 till 08-09 without making the playoffs, where as the Islanders made it 4 times in that same time period. The Caps went from 00-01 till 07-08 with no playoffs, the Pens 00-01 till 06-07 and the Kings 01-02 till last season, to point out the 4 teams Botta pointed out. Those teams all went at least 6 years without a playoff berth while rebuilding, we are in year 3. It is very tough, and not knowing what the future holds as far a building and funding makes it more frustrating, but as far as getting young talent and building a core, i don't think i can honestly say we're behind schedule as far as the Snow rebuild goes.

okie21 is offline   Reply With Quote