HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Any love for Holmgren now?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-16-2010, 04:20 PM
  #326
BernieParent
HFB Partner
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,488
vCash: 500
I'd also like to underline the FA goaltenders most of us, to varying degrees, were coveting:

– Chris Mason .897 SV%, 3.90 GAA in 13 games
– Marty Turco .911 SV%, 2.74 GAA in 15 games
– Evgeni Nabokov .896 SV%, 2.72 GAA in 16 games
– Dan Ellis .900 SV%, 2.53 GAA in 10 games

It's a bit of a strawman to compare them to Bob's stats (.934 / 2.01), but it's somewhat reassuring that through the Leighton misadventures, the Flyers came out so far with far and away the best goaltender. Turco, I think, is pretty much exactly where we would expect him to be (ie, not spectacular, but strong and dependable) and he would certainly have a better GAA behind the Flyers D.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 04:23 PM
  #327
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'd also like to underline the FA goaltenders most of us, to varying degrees, were coveting:

– Chris Mason .897 SV%, 3.90 GAA in 13 games
– Marty Turco .911 SV%, 2.74 GAA in 15 games
– Evgeni Nabokov .896 SV%, 2.72 GAA in 16 games
– Dan Ellis .900 SV%, 2.53 GAA in 10 games

It's a bit of a strawman to compare them to Bob's stats (.934 / 2.01), but it's somewhat reassuring that through the Leighton misadventures, the Flyers came out so far with far and away the best goaltender. Turco, I think, is pretty much exactly where we would expect him to be (ie, not spectacular, but strong and dependable) and he would certainly have a better GAA behind the Flyers D.
Any of those guys would have better numbers behind the Flyers defense. Bob's been awesome, but let's be practical here. We also need to consider we're at the tail end of the warm-up period...lots of things could drastically change over the next month or two.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 04:23 PM
  #328
BernieParent
HFB Partner
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Taxes are a LOT higher in Montreal. The value of that contract is higher here in Philly than the one Montreal offered.
Don't I know that!! It would have been tempered somewhat by the then-higher difference between US and Canadian dollars, with Bri่re being paid in the former and spending towards the latter. But taxes is a significant factor. Plus, Bri่re's quote about expecting the media to be going through his garbage in Montreal.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 04:26 PM
  #329
BernieParent
HFB Partner
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Any of those guys would have better numbers behind the Flyers defense. Bob's been awesome, but let's be practical here.
Of course, but the ≤.900 SV% are pretty bad, especially for Nabokov in the KHL. I specifically mentioned Turco because of the relatively high GAA for his SV%.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 04:48 PM
  #330
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'd also like to underline the FA goaltenders most of us, to varying degrees, were coveting:

– Chris Mason .897 SV%, 3.90 GAA in 13 games
– Marty Turco .911 SV%, 2.74 GAA in 15 games
– Evgeni Nabokov .896 SV%, 2.72 GAA in 16 games
– Dan Ellis .900 SV%, 2.53 GAA in 10 games

It's a bit of a strawman to compare them to Bob's stats (.934 / 2.01), but it's somewhat reassuring that through the Leighton misadventures, the Flyers came out so far with far and away the best goaltender. Turco, I think, is pretty much exactly where we would expect him to be (ie, not spectacular, but strong and dependable) and he would certainly have a better GAA behind the Flyers D.
You left out Nitty in SJ who is doing pretty darn good while Niemi is riding the pine....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 04:54 PM
  #331
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
This arguement has gotten really ridiculous but it's fun. That's what these boards are for, obviously.

Regardless of what you think about what Homer has done there is good and bad that can be picked out. That can be said for every GM in the league.

The bottom line is facts are the facts. This team while not yet winning the cup has been very successful in Homer's three years and they have a ridiculously bright future. The things I like about Homer is that he doesn't make the same mistakes continually (did Giroux or Carter get NMCs?) and when he identifies a need he goes out and fills it. Briere, Hartnell, Kimmo, Lavi, Carle. Regardless of how obvious they are he fills them.

The Rags have needed scoring for a decade and didn't get Briere. Did the Caps fill their need on D by trading for Pronger? All teams have obvious needs that don't get filled.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 05:02 PM
  #332
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
This arguement has gotten really ridiculous but it's fun. That's what these boards are for, obviously.

Regardless of what you think about what Homer has done there is good and bad that can be picked out. That can be said for every GM in the league.

The bottom line is facts are the facts. This team while not yet winning the cup has been very successful in Homer's three years and they have a ridiculously bright future. The things I like about Homer is that he doesn't make the same mistakes continually (did Giroux or Carter get NMCs?) and when he identifies a need he goes out and fills it. Briere, Hartnell, Kimmo, Lavi, Carle. Regardless of how obvious they are he fills them.

The Rags have needed scoring for a decade and didn't get Briere. Did the Caps fill their need on D by trading for Pronger? All teams have obvious needs that don't get filled.
Well, Giroux is incapable of getting a NTC... and Carter did get a full one for a few years, and then a limited one.

I'm also not sure on the whole Rags not getting stuff... they show remarkable persistence in grabbing crap when they feel it will fill a need. The Caps, I don't get why they didn't make a move for a D this past offseason... but they are also coming off a President's Trophy.

Homer's teams have yet to earn home ice.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 05:04 PM
  #333
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Of course, but the ≤.900 SV% are pretty bad, especially for Nabokov in the KHL. I specifically mentioned Turco because of the relatively high GAA for his SV%.
Turco is who I wanted 'em to try and get for a couple years to maybe be the guy this year, and then split time with Bob heading into next year (assuming Bob worked out, which obviously he has thus far).

Chicago has fallen a long way from last year's heights as far as team play. Though, I've only seen a bit of them in games thus far.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 05:28 PM
  #334
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, Giroux is incapable of getting a NTC... and Carter did get a full one for a few years, and then a limited one.

I'm also not sure on the whole Rags not getting stuff... they show remarkable persistence in grabbing crap when they feel it will fill a need. The Caps, I don't get why they didn't make a move for a D this past offseason... but they are also coming off a President's Trophy.

Homer's teams have yet to earn home ice.


I would rather have a team make an ECF and a SCF two of the past three years.

I am surprised how engrained your dislike is for Homer. You are often the one to point out that facts and figures are more important then observations because observations can be skewed by our predjudices. I agree with you there.

You make the point that we shouldn't just look at the team's success and say Homer is doing a great job because he has made mistakes that have cost the team. However, at the end of the day the guy still has a lot of chips on the table to play with.

I manage a lot of people. I know you can't just manage to results. Sometimes people are successful because they do the right things, sometimes because they are fortunate, and sometimes people work hard and do the right things but still aren't successful. That's why I believe you should manage to best practices because over time whether you are hot or not, or whether you are lucky or not, if you are doing the right things consistently you will be successful.

Homer has done enough good things that he has been able to overcome mistakes and still ice a really solid squad that has been a cup favorite last season and is looking like one again this season.

The guy does a good job of evaluating draft picks and unsigned FAs so when he makes a mistake like Klotz his team isn't drastically affected. All teams have scouts that think they see something in a player that others don't from time to time. Usually you end up with a Klotz but if you are doing a good job drafting otherwise you can take a shot from tim to time. When you have a squad made of of young guys like Richards, Carter, Giroux, JVR, Coburn, etc you can afford to sacrifice some draft picks to take a shot at the brass ring.

People say he got lucky with Bob but the whole point of building his team the way he did was that they could win with almost anyone in net behind their D so it's not really just dumb luck. The fact that Bob is playing lights out makes it that much sweeter but even if his play drops a notch this team's d will help carry most goalies.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:16 PM
  #335
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'd also like to underline the FA goaltenders most of us, to varying degrees, were coveting:

– Chris Mason .897 SV%, 3.90 GAA in 13 games
– Marty Turco .911 SV%, 2.74 GAA in 15 games
– Evgeni Nabokov .896 SV%, 2.72 GAA in 16 games
– Dan Ellis .900 SV%, 2.53 GAA in 10 games

It's a bit of a strawman to compare them to Bob's stats (.934 / 2.01), but it's somewhat reassuring that through the Leighton misadventures, the Flyers came out so far with far and away the best goaltender. Turco, I think, is pretty much exactly where we would expect him to be (ie, not spectacular, but strong and dependable) and he would certainly have a better GAA behind the Flyers D.
Quick/Bernier or Schneider would have been my choice, but it meant moving a player.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:25 PM
  #336
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 34,211
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Quick/Bernier or Schneider would have been my choice, but it meant moving a player.
but whoever would you trade!?




if i had to guess...Shelley.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ฉ2014 All Rights Reserved.