HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

411 on Jack Hillen

Old
10-21-2010, 03:05 PM
anjoo

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to anjoo
411 on Jack Hillen

Hello from the Oilers board!

This is a fantasy based question.

What's going on with Jack Hillen - I thought with the injury to Streit, he would possibly play a more prominent role especially after averaging over 20 minutes a game last season.

What's happened with him?

Thanks!

anjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 03:09 PM
hgo

Unfortunately for Hillen the Islanders made significant upgrades to their defense this season (and yes, Eaton and Wisniewski count as significant upgrades). As a result he's been pushed out of the main rotation in favor of bigger guys like Eaton and Jurcina. We don't know if Hillen will make his way back into the lineup soon. You have to figure that Martinek will get hurt at some point though.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Renbarg

I don't know if pushed out explains it all. If he played like he did the first half of the season he would have had a spot in the lineup, to me it seems like he is in the doghouse. If Hillen goes back to playing at his top level he is better than Jurcina. Also there may be an issue of size between Hillen and Jurcina and what Gordon prefers.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 04:48 PM
KH1

Frankly, I think that a lot of Isles fans overrated Hillen last season. He's got good vision and is usually well positioned, but he takes a ton of stupid penalties and his lack of size is a serious detriment to him.

I think that he's probably better than Jurcina or Chef Bruno, but clearly he's not shown the coaching staff enough to get himself into the lineup.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Dice on Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
Frankly, I think that a lot of Isles fans overrated Hillen last season.
I disagree. I think Hillen will recover his stock once playing time opens back up, not unlike how Comeau did it last season. They badly need him on PP2, also.

Dice on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 05:23 PM
isleman100

Hillen is better in so many areas than Jurcina, Mottau and Wiz. He'll find his way back into the lineup.

isleman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 05:24 PM
DPSNAGS

hillen didnt start with the team last year either....when he finally got his shot, he didnt lose his spot...i believe the same thing will happen this year

when i think of hillens potential...i think of the game last year against the rangers where he completely shut down gaborik while gabs was on an incredible hot streak...hillen has the potential to be a great dman and well see it soon

DPSNAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 05:49 PM
CodeE

From a fantasy hockey standpoint, you're best off dropping Hillen for another defenseman. Doesn't really matter who's available.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:53 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Frankly, I think that a lot of Isles fans overrated Hillen last season. He's got good vision and is usually well positioned, but he takes a ton of stupid penalties and his lack of size is a serious detriment to him.

I think that he's probably better than Jurcina or Chef Bruno, but clearly he's not shown the coaching staff enough to get himself into the lineup.
+1! Hillen's taken Park's (who took Martinek's) role of being the extremely overrated player on the Islanders. Seems we always have one haha.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:50 AM
Dice on Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
+1! Hillen's taken Park's (who took Martinek's) role of being the extremely overrated player on the Islanders. Seems we always have one haha.
In what universe are Martinek and Hillen overrated? Have you seen Martinek lately?

Old
10-22-2010, 06:18 AM
It Was 4 to 1*

depending on the injury to macdonald he could be seeing some time now

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:53 AM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice on Ice View Post
In what universe are Martinek and Hillen overrated? Have you seen Martinek lately?
For years now Islander fans act like Martinek is a top 2 defensemen. He's a low level top 4 dman at best. Hillen's similar-Isles fans get all giddy about him just because he's young. But for every good thing he does on the ice-he causes 2 turnovers.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:43 PM
hgo

Quote:

I agree with this. Hillen's always struck me as a bottom-pairing guy at best (although I must admit, I didn't give him a chance when he first got here to even be that). It's more of a testament to the Isles' depth on defense this year that he's on the bench.

Rompus Rex has it right, though - Hillen should fill in for MacDonald now. They're pretty similar players. MacDonald is better, though.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Dice on Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
For years now Islander fans act like Martinek is a top 2 defensemen. He's a low level top 4 dman at best. Hillen's similar-Isles fans get all giddy about him just because he's young. But for every good thing he does on the ice-he causes 2 turnovers.
List of players Martinek has had the bulk of responsibility to shut down through 7 games:

James Neal (zero points)
Marian Gaborik (one assist)
Alex Ovechkin (goal and assist)
Sidney Crosby (assist on a BS power play goal in overtime)
Evgeni Malkin (assist on a BS power play goal in overtime)
Paul Stastny (one assist)
Matt Duchene (zero points)
Phil Kessel (one goal)
Steve Stamkos (one assist)

So let's recap this: the Isles have faced 8 players of star or superstar talent through 7 games. These players have a grand total of 2 goals and 6 assists for 8 points, and the Isles are 4-1-2. Martinek's ATOI is 22 minutes, and he's a +3. He also has a goal and an assist.

That's a top-pairing defenseman.

Old
11-15-2010, 03:05 PM
anjoo

Send a message via MSN to anjoo
I really want to see your franchise thrive.. it's a real shame what's happening with your team as it deserves much better.

With that being said, I know Hillen's been playing a lot more now, how has he been?

anjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:05 PM
redbull
respect, earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoo View Post
I really want to see your franchise thrive.. it's a real shame what's happening with your team as it deserves much better.

With that being said, I know Hillen's been playing a lot more now, how has he been?
been awful. he's out with the flu, not sure about tomorrow but if he's on any fantasy team that doesn't reward healthy scratches, get rid of him.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 03:10 PM
isleman100

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
been awful. he's out with the flu, not sure about tomorrow but if he's on any fantasy team that doesn't reward healthy scratches, get rid of him.
Hillen has not been awful at all. Considering he has been given only 12 mins/night on the 3rd pairing, he has played very well. Last game he was in, an Isles loss, he was +1 and had an assist. As active Isles defensemen go, he is -5 (on a team with all minus players), and is ahead of Wiz (-12), Mottau (-11), Eaton (-7), and tied with Martinek (-5). Perhaps under Capuano he will be given more minutes, especially on one of the PPs. If he gets more minutes he will get more points than the other D except Wiz and will be a good additon to a fantasy squad.

For some reason Go Go Gordon had him buried. Maybe Caps will play him more.

Last edited by isleman100: 11-16-2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: spelling and addition
isleman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Ziggy16

hillen was never sick, he had a concussion and is Out

http://twitter.com/nyislanders

Ziggy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:40 PM
redbull
respect, earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleman100 View Post
Hillen has not been awful at all. Considering he has been given only 12 mins/night on the 3rd pairing, he has played very well. Last game he was in, an Isles loss, he was +1 and had an assist. As active Isles defensemen go, he is -5 (on a team with all minus players), and is ahead of Wiz (-12), Mottau (-11), Eaton (-7), and tied with Martinek (-5). Perhaps under Capuano he will be given more minutes, especially on one of the PPs. If he gets more minutes he will get more points than the other D except Wiz and will be a good additon to a fantasy squad.

For some reason Go Go Gordon had him buried. Maybe Caps will play him more.
sorry, you're wrong. watch the games, don't look for stats to support a non-argument.

we'll see how long a career hillen has once he's dropped by the laughable islanders.

he's 7th on the depth chart even with streit injured. Guess what happens when hamonic and dehaan and maybe larsson get here?

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:56 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

he is not good. Don't waste your time or pick on Hillen.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote