HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which player can "patch" the Habs' lack of physical toughness

Old
11-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Hugo Sham

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Eller Superstar View Post
I'm happy we grabbed IAN SCHULTZ in the Halak trade , he will come handy in 2 years
yeah but what about monday? lol

Hugo Sham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:58 PM
ScottFC

I wish we had signed todd bertuzzi 2 years ago imo with him in the lineup this team would be spectacular

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Lars Eller Superstar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
yeah but what about monday? lol
, we are doomed monday

Lars Eller Superstar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Habs are a team that relies on smarts, from the first line to the 4th, therefore they cannot afford to have a dumb goon who can barely skate/play taking a spot on one of those lines, that would take away the rythm this team establishes on a nightly basis rolling 4 balanced lines (see Laraque's fiasco).

Furthermore, and regardless of what people who prefer seeing grown men pound the bejebus out of each other as a measure of their toughness level think, this team IS tough. When you pay the price to take a check, when you go into heavy traffic no matter how much it's going to hurt, when you get back up, always, when you don't let any team intimidate you, you're tough, and this is the kind of toughness this team has. They don't need to rough it up, they just need to get back up. Winning' still the ultimate goal in this sport right?

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:27 AM
LyricalLyricist

Ryan O'byrne?

No, but seriously, which the above statement has some value I think it's more of a team thing. We need to start drafting top 6 forward who can take care of themselves. It's all fine and dandy to have an enforcer but an enforcer who plays 5 minutes a game can't protect anyone.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:24 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
exactly conboy's not a heavyweight nor is schultz. bonneau is but can't play in the NHL...which leaves henry as a legitimate heavyweight
Schultz could become a pretty good middleweight fighting 3rd liner with scoring touch though. I have a bit of hope in him. He dominated in junior in fights and didn't do too bad in his AHL fight if I recall correctly. Hopefully he progresses on his weaknesses much like Ryan White did.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:30 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Schultz could become a pretty good middleweight fighting 3rd liner with scoring touch though. I have a bit of hope in him. He dominated in junior in fights and didn't do too bad in his AHL fight if I recall correctly. Hopefully he progresses on his weaknesses much like Ryan White did.
white's going to be needed monday and i suspect he'll be recalled. henry too

Hugo Sham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:37 AM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

Quote:
white's going to be needed monday and i suspect he'll be recalled. henry too
I actually wouldn't mind Henry being recalled. I recall him being a leader during the preseason. He's 6'6'', can drop the gloves and play on the PK.

As of now, I think White is being recalled (considering Halpy may be inured). I wouldn't mind a guy like Schultz or Conboy (who's more of an agitator, rather than a fighter) on the 4th/3rd line, but I wouldn't be ready to scratch anyone there. Another guy I like is Jimmy Bonneau. He's a true heavyweight, but I'm not even sure he's on a contract

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:45 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Teams are gonna come after the habs, that's just a fact. The key is that the habs dont get away from their gameplan, and they have done a pretty decent job of that.

The habs have shown good composure and focus so far. They havent de-railed no matter how hard the opponent has tried to get them off their game.

Toughness is not a huge issue to me. The big teams havent deterred the habs from playing the way they like to play.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:52 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Ever watched a full game of those days lately??..Hockey has become a lot more entertaining nowadays due to the fact the game opened up a lot more for skilled players.

I don't want anybody added to this team for the sole purpose of being more aggressive every time we play the Flyers.
Wait, are you saying McPhee and Corson weren't talented? Nilan was a goon, but a lot of our skilled players could go any way the other team wanted to. Skrudland, Muller... we had teams very similar to what Philly ices today, and I do miss it.

I guess thats why I have a soft spot for Moen, I like the role player as much as the sniper.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:57 AM
Adriatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Toughness is not a huge issue to me. The big teams havent deterred the habs from playing the way they like to play.
Did you watch last years playoffs series against the Flyers..cause that's exactly what happened and it will happen again if we face them. In the playoffs there are less power plays and the play is much more physical and tight, and will Flyers would crush us again because Habs just can't respond physically. It was embarassing tonight that no one did anything when Flyers were going after PK, you gotta protect young talent like that.

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:59 AM
ChoseLa

ApThe flyers don't have heavy weight either. White and Moen should be enough.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:04 AM
Adriatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
ApThe flyers don't have heavy weight either. White and Moen should be enough.
Please, Richards Hartnell Carcillo Odonell Pronger Shelley are all tough sob's that would drop them against anybody.

Old
11-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Patrice Brisebois

I'd really like to see Henry play on monday.

After tonight's game and Richards' threats, I have a bad feeling.

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:24 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
Please, Richards Hartnell Carcillo Odonell Pronger Shelley are all tough sob's that would drop them against anybody.
Richards' toughness is overrated.

Sean O'donnell isn't what he once was.

Pronger lost to Willie Mitchell last year.

So, that leaves Hartnell, Carcillo and Shelley. 1 is a top 6 forward, 1 is a bottom 6 5 minutes a game and one shifts between playing 10-13 minutes and being a healthy scratch.

As for the whole, we'll keep scoring goals. Kinda hard, whenever your team gets taken out. Though, ****** enforcer who can't play isn't the answer.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:26 AM
Plekanov

Pacioretty

Plekanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:39 AM
JustAHabFan

Bring up Henry and pair him with Subban on Monday.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:19 AM
Adriatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

So, that leaves Hartnell, Carcillo and Shelley. 1 is a top 6 forward, 1 is a bottom 6 5 minutes a game and one shifts between playing 10-13 minutes and being a healthy scratch.

As for the whole, we'll keep scoring goals. Kinda hard, whenever your team gets taken out. Though, ****** enforcer who can't play isn't the answer.
Whatever dude..you can break it down the way you want, bottom line is they all play and they all intimidate the habs, just watch any playoff game the last 2 series we played them. We can't respond and it shows..they made us look like a peewee team in the playoffs.

Old
11-17-2010, 07:13 AM
habs24

White and Conboy cannot fight their way up Crescent Street on a windy day. The best fighter the Habs have is Bonneau, by far. The Habs need to bring in someone legit. This is getting ugly. Good for Lappy for answering the bell but he got pounded and is definitely no deterrent

habs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 07:26 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs24 View Post
White and Conboy cannot fight their way up Crescent Street on a windy day. The best fighter the Habs have is Bonneau, by far. The Habs need to bring in someone legit. This is getting ugly. Good for Lappy for answering the bell but he got pounded and is definitely no deterrent
Forget about it, Bonneau isn't even signed by the Habs, only Hamilton, and Martin does not want pure goons that can't skate enough to follow the system we have in place. That's why White is perfect for us.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 07:28 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

WTF!

I've seen biased and making excuses for what we lack before, but might as well suit up 5 cotton balls next monday with the way you're talking...

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 07:44 AM
habs24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Forget about it, Bonneau isn't even signed by the Habs, only Hamilton, and Martin does not want pure goons that can't skate enough to follow the system we have in place. That's why White is perfect for us.
Ya I know Bonneau is on an AHL contract but they have to do something soon. I just can't see it with Martin at the helm. The thing with White is, he isn't a very good fighter. He would do fine against a guy like Powe but what if it was Chris Neil doing that? White would get beat as bad as Lappy did last night.

habs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:29 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Whitey is a gutsy guy who will hit anything and drop them with anybody but I'm not sure he would be that much better at this level than Lappy was. This weekend against Grand Rapids White went with their captain Tardiff whose not the toughest guy and got whacked around pretty good. Henry went at it with Amadio a rugged dman and the fight was over in about three/four punches most of them Henry's.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:53 AM
tiz

We need to call up Henry as #7. Play him opposite Subban against teams like the Flyers when the score is out of hand. Insurance policy. We can't lose Subban and Markov.

tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Somebody will get hurt soon by getting smashed.

Who can come to our rescue?
Other than Colin Campbell, I don't see anybody else. Phillie has a couple players that are dangerous, short of having somebody crack a stick over their heads on the first shift, it won't stop them.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote