HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Dislodging stuck blade from shaft?

Old
11-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

vCash: 500
Dislodging stuck blade from shaft?

I have a blade that is stuck in a shaft. Tried the heat gun and two people pulling a few times but it wouldn't budge. Any ideas or things to try to get it out?

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 12:00 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I have a blade that is stuck in a shaft. Tried the heat gun and two people pulling a few times but it wouldn't budge. Any ideas or things to try to get it out?
Is it difficult because:

1) The blade broke close to the shaft so you don't have much to grab or
2) It seems to be pinched in there

If the first, drill a long screw into the middle of the hosel and use pliers to pull it out.
If the second, you might have to tap the shaft lightly with a hammer to reshape it so you can will the blade out of there.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 12:11 AM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
Is it difficult because:

1) The blade broke close to the shaft so you don't have much to grab or
2) It seems to be pinched in there

If the first, drill a long screw into the middle of the hosel and use pliers to pull it out.
If the second, you might have to tap the shaft lightly with a hammer to reshape it so you can will the blade out of there.
It's number two. So heat it up again and give it a few taps and attempt to pull it out?

Old
11-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

That didn't really work. It took some time to get it in the shaft in the first place. Was originally a one-piece SE and the blade was cut off. First standard blade I put in fit with no problem. Swapped it out for older Si-Core which took effort. Not it wont even move.

Edit: The blade stuck is a composite blade, otherwise I'd try cutting it at the heel, screwing it to the broken piece, and standing on it to pull up.

Last edited by Splitbtw: 11-16-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old
11-16-2010, 12:52 AM
ponder

Haven't tried this personally, but I've heard of people having success really heating it up, then using a piece of rebar down the shaft to knock the blade loose. Let someone who knows more about equipment/2-piece sticks comment before trying that though!

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 01:04 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Haven't tried this personally, but I've heard of people having success really heating it up, then using a piece of rebar down the shaft to knock the blade loose. Let someone who knows more about equipment/2-piece sticks comment before trying that though!
Good idea, if that doesn't work, can you grab any of the blade, if so put it in a vice and pull on the shaft. Next blade, flip the shaft and put the blade in the other end of the shaft, unless you need an extension.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 01:16 AM
doobie604

cut the blade off where it meets the shaft, drill few holes where you cut the blade, heat it up and the pieces would just fall out.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Steelhead16

If you can get the top end open (if you have a plug or extension in the top end) the rebar down the shaft should work. You need to make sure the shaft is secure in something like a vise so that it doesn't move when you hit the rebar with a hammer. Even two guys pulling can't apply enough "instant" pressure to break the seal. Make sure that someone is heating the bottom end of the shaft while you do it.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

I don't have a vice grip so I'll have to head to a shop for that. will home depot or lowe's hav a piece of rebar cheap that's cheap and long enough? my shaft without the extension is probably 55" long.

The entire blade is intact.

Old
11-16-2010, 03:00 PM
BlackDog13

Quote:
I don't have a vice grip so I'll have to head to a shop for that. will home depot or lowe's hav a piece of rebar cheap that's cheap and long enough? my shaft without the extension is probably 55" long.

The entire blade is intact.
You'll pay about 5 bucks for a 10 ft. piece of rebar at Home Depot/Lowe's.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 03:36 PM
doobie604

not sure why you want to go spend extra money when i've already made a free suggestion if you already have a saw and drill. it works for me, teammates, and users on modsqud. rebar works as well, but what's the point if you don't have to spend extra money.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie604 View Post
not sure why you want to go spend extra money when i've already made a free suggestion if you already have a saw and drill. it works for me, teammates, and users on modsqud. rebar works as well, but what's the point if you don't have to spend extra money.
I don't have a drill nor a saw.

Old
11-16-2010, 08:40 PM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
I had a similar problem getting a blade out of my 8K shaft. Would NOT budge no matter how hard I pulled. I eventually sawed off the blade and screwed it to the hosel to give myself some place for my feet. After heating I then pulled on the shaft while pushing away with my feet on the blade and it popped right out. Not sure if you're able to attach anything to the hosel but this worked for me anyway. I'd only recommend this if you don't mind tearing up the blade.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I had a similar problem getting a blade out of my 8K shaft. Would NOT budge no matter how hard I pulled. I eventually sawed off the blade and screwed it to the hosel to give myself some place for my feet. After heating I then pulled on the shaft while pushing away with my feet on the blade and it popped right out. Not sure if you're able to attach anything to the hosel but this worked for me anyway. I'd only recommend this if you don't mind tearing up the blade.

I actually saw this when I googled my problem. no drill. however I did just get a piece of rebar for $5 and had it cut so there was like 6"-12" of it hanging of the shaft. I used the floor as a hammer and heated up the shaft and banged down in short bursts. worked like a charm. thanks guys

Old
11-16-2010, 10:48 PM
ponder

Sweet, glad the rebar trick worked! Plus now if you ever need to pour some reinforced concrete you're part of the way there

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Sweet, glad the rebar trick worked! Plus now if you ever need to pour some reinforced concrete you're part of the way there
I'm just saving it for whenever the One95 blade I put in decides to call it quits. Or the shaft does I guess. The Synergy Elite makes for a really, really light shaft.

Old
11-17-2010, 12:50 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

...or you could swallow the spider to catch the fly.

Old
11-17-2010, 01:14 AM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
...or you could swallow the spider to catch the fly.
cut the shaft to get the blade?

Old
11-18-2010, 01:19 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
cut the shaft to get the blade?
Yep, or anything that ends up taking more time/money than it would have been just to replace it. Sometimes I get so caught up in my projects by the time it's all said and done, I have to sigh and wonder if all the trouble was worth it.

But it sounds like you won this battle. Glad it worked out for ya!

Old
04-03-2014, 01:54 PM
pughater

I tried the dumbest thing but it worked. I heated the shaft with the lodged blade then quickly went outside and ran the blade over with the car on a flat surface. Then went and pulled the shaft and the two came apart. And extra couple hundred pounds on the other end did the trick

pughater is offline   Reply With Quote