HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Reactions to Legal Clean hits

Old
11-17-2010, 12:58 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
The problem is that at game speed players don't know if it is a clean hit or not.

Going back to the Artyukhin hit on Doughty a couple years ago. The players on the ice didn't know it was a knee-on-knee...it looked like a clean hit at first glance. Nothing was done about it and I recall Murray and Lombardi both being unhappy about it.

The players tend to err on the side of dirty hit, because you don't want to be "that guy" on the ice not sticking up for a teammate.

Players are going to fight first and ask questions later just so they aren't labeled with a "bad teammate" tag, because most of the time the players aren't watching the hit.
I agree completely with everything you said. The bolded part in particular is what troubles me. If you're not sure whether a hit is dirty or not, why fight? And why should that affect a player's reputation negatively (as far as not being a "team player")? It's like a referee calling a high sticking penalty when a guy throws his head back without seeing the stick hit his face.

If anything, I think you talk it over on the bench, find out whether it was clean or not, and if it was dirty, try to lay an equally heavy hit on that player later in the game or stir him to drop the gloves.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:26 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
I agree completely with everything you said. The bolded part in particular is what troubles me. If you're not sure whether a hit is dirty or not, why fight? And why should that affect a player's reputation negatively (as far as not being a "team player")? It's like a referee calling a high sticking penalty when a guy throws his head back without seeing the stick hit his face.

If anything, I think you talk it over on the bench, find out whether it was clean or not, and if it was dirty, try to lay an equally heavy hit on that player later in the game or stir him to drop the gloves.
Exactly, this going after people just cause they laid a solid check on someone is going to turn the NHL into a circus. Where every single Decent check is met with a 20 min delay cause each team is rioting.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:36 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCorona View Post
If someone smacks you good, shrug it off and smack him back the next time he touches the puck -- legally. Posterizing someone with a good hit is 10 times as satisfying, IMO.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:03 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
You can thank the Automatic Boarding calls for that. I think it's ridiculous that Forwards can basically play head down all the time now.
Eventually an NHL player will have his neck broken on a play like that and the rule will be changed. A lot of these hits where guys get destroyed the player getting hit is completely clueless that they are being tracked down. Perron was completely unaware that Thornton was coming out of the box despite his own goalie slamming his stick on the ice. Perron is basically skating up ice with his head turned backwards-he deserves to get hit. He isn't smart enough to have a running clock in his head remembering there is a player getting out of the box and then he gladly accepts a bad suicide pass from his defensemen. That's just bad hockey and he was rewarded by getting Joe Thornton suspended. There has to be some sort of rule adjustment in place where if the player is skating with his head down there is more leniency for the hitter. If you want to stare at your passes for 3 seconds you're going to get smoked. It's always been like that, the difference is those players were just out of the league quicker than players who could play the game at high speed with their heads up aware of who is on the ice and where they are.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote