HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

$64.3M Upper Limit for '11-'12

Old
11-17-2010, 07:58 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
$64.3M Upper Limit for '11-'12

Was looking at the numbers yesterday.

Salary commitments for next season. If the cap stays in the same range,Rangers will have nearly $18 million to spend. 13 players signed for next season.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Sean Avery ($1.937m)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m)
Brandon Prust ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
Michal Rozsival ($5.000m) / Marc Staal ($3.975m)
Daniel Girardi ($3.325m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) /Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $41,850,000; BONUSES: $212,500
CAP SPACE (13-man roster): $17,762,500

Remember that there will be no bonus cushion for 2011-12 because the CBA expires in September 2012. Can't rollover bonuses into a season which isn't covered in the CBA. Rangers are currently using bonus cushion but they can make the proper adjustments before the season ends to not have money rollover to next season. That cushion won't exist unless a new CBA is agreed upon prior to next June. No chance

Free agent list

http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.p...All&FAType=All

Key group II-Ryan Callahan,Brandon Dubinsky,Artem Anisimov,Michael Sauer and Brian Boyle. All of them are arbitration eligible except for AA. Callahan and Boyle are one year away from group III so if they sign a 1 year deal,they become Group III's in 2012.

Looking at Callahan-Patrick Sharp is a good comparable. Signed a 4 year extension which kicked in for 2008-09. $15.6 million. $3.3 million as a group II. Last 3 years are group III. $3.9 million cap hit.

$3.3 million
$4 million
$4.1 million
$4.2 million

Not easy to find a comparable for Boyle but there is David Steckel. Signed a 3 year deal as a group III for $3.3 million. Somewhere in the $1 million range for Boyle.

Dubinsky is a 2 years away from group III. Have to figure close to $4 million per. Depending upon how he plays,could be more than $4 million. His agent Kurt Overhardt will have the hammer this time. He wanted $4 million per last summer. Overhardt got Travis Zajac 4 years/$15.5 million which includes 1 year of group III. Overhardt got Kesler $5 million per. 6 years. $30 million. Last 4 years are group III years.

$1-$1.3 million for Sauer. 3 years away from group III.

AA is 4 years away from group III. 2 year worth close to $2 million per or more money in a longer term deal. Claude Giroux got David Krejci money when both players were not eligible for arbitration. 3 years/$11.25 million. Gotta figure Dubinsky is looking at those contracts as the minimum for him. AA too.

$12 million(ballpark) to sign all 5 players. It will probably be more than $12 million. They would still need to fill out the roster.

Besides Erik Christensen,have to figure all of the signed players will be back. Not that many cap casualty candidates. Chris Drury has a NMC and Michal Rozsival($3 million salary in 11-12) has a limited NTC. Both players are in the last season of their contracts in 11-12. For the Rangers to be free agent players this summer,one of them will have to be moved. Drury isn't going anywhere with the NMC. The Rangers would have to replace Rozsival's 20 plus minutes a game and the replacement won't be cheap. The Rangers are better off keeping Rozsival. Let the two contracts expire when the CBA is close to expiring. The Rangers have the space to re-sign all of their key free agents and probably add a free agent winger on a 1 year deal similar to Alex Frolov. Maybe it's Frolov if can click with Marian Gaborik and its another soft market next summer. CBA will expire and the rules will change. Sign all of the key players. Have the expiring contracts coming off the books after 2012.

Chart by Tawnos:

Forwards
NameCap HitTypeDays
Marian Gaborik7,500,000One-wayN/A
Brad Richards6,666,667One-wayN/A
Wojtek Wolski3,800,000One-wayN/A
Sean Avery1,937,500One-wayN/A
Artem Anisimov1,875,000One-wayN/A
Mike Rupp1,500,000One-wayN/A
Ruslan Fedotenko1,400,000One-wayN/A
Brandon Prust800,000One-wayN/A
Erik Christensen925,000One-wayN/A
Derek Stepan875,000Two-wayFull
Mats Zuccarello940,860Two-way100
John Mitchell440,323Two-Way126
Kris Newbury93,683Two-way34
Dale Weise81,317Two-way25
Chad Kolarik16,935Two-way6
Ryan Callahan2,400,000QON/A
Brandon Dubinsky2,000,000QON/A
Brian Boyle577,500QON/A
Andreas Thuresson30,605QO9
Total33,860,390

Defensemen
NameCap HitTypeDays
Wade Redden6,500,000One-wayN/A
Marc Staal3,975,000One-wayN/A
Dan Girardi3,325,000One-wayN/A
Michael Sauer1,250,000One-wayN/A
Michael DelZotto689,919Two-way118
Ryan McDonagh684,946Two-way98
Total16,424,865

Goaltenders
NameCap HitTypeDays
Henrik Lundqvist6,875,000One-wayN/A
Martin Biron875,000One-wayN/A
Cam Talbot4,839Two-way1
Chad Johnson140,753QO40
Total7,895,592

Buy-outs
NameCap Hit
Chris Drury3,716,667
Total3,716,667

Totals
Cap HitCap Ceiling10% CushionCap Space
$61,897,514$64,300,000$70,730,000$8,832,486

Last edited by nyr2k2: 07-12-2011 at 09:40 PM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Miller Time NYR
HFBoards Sponsor

Don't forget the $15 million dollar cap raise from espn

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:29 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers would have to replace Rozsival's 20 plus minutes a game and the replacement won't be cheap. The Rangers are better off keeping Rozsival. Let the two contracts expire when the CBA is close to expiring. The Rangers have the space to re-sign all of their key free agents and probably add a free agent winger on a 1 year deal similar to Alex Frolov. Maybe it's Frolov if can click with Marian Gaborik and its another soft market next summer. CBA will expire and the rules will change. Sign all of the key players. Have the expiring contracts coming off the books after 2012.
Why just let Rozsival's contract expire when you can get something for him? Yes, 20 minutes is difficult replace, but we're not talking about Lidstrom here. Even if you take a step back on the blueline for a season, you can't just lose him for nothing.

The Rangers will be a top suitor for Richards this summer if they know what's good for them, and they'll have to trade Rozsival to do so, which is fine. The 2012 free agent class stinks. No center comes even close to Richards' level in 2012. You can get a tolerable replacement for Rozsival at half the cap hit on the free agent market for a year or two. You've got Valentenko coming up, you've got McDonagh coming up.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:36 AM
BrandNewDream

Patrick Sharp is a good comparable? Maybe in the current projections, but I just can't see Cally scoring the way Sharp has. It's true that Sharp has been a benefactor of playing with that Chicago roster, but Sharp >>>>> Callahan, and it's not even close.

Also, Sharp's extension was signed in January of 2008, while he was in the midst of what turned out to be a 36 goal season. If Cally's got 20 by January, then maybe it'll be comparable, but I doubt both of those things.

Last edited by BrandNewDream: 11-17-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Edit: Sharp extension
BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

This offseason will certainly be interesting because of the fact that Redden will count against our summer cap.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If the cap goes to 64 million or so, as projected, Redden's summer cap wont matter much. We can go 10% over, 10% of 64 mil is 6.4 million.

I agree. Provided Slats doesn't trade Dubisnky/let him go, we will not have the money to sign a Brad Richards this offseason.

We may need to pick up a new LW, though. You look and see

X-Stepan/EC-Gaborik
Dubi-AA-Callahan
Avery-Drury-X
Boogaard-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Rozi
MDZ-Girardi
X-Sauer

So we have 3 anticipated holes, and it's likely that we carry more than just the roster minimum 20 players.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:47 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
This offseason will certainly be interesting because of the fact that Redden will count against our summer cap.
This as well. If he DOES go to Europe, or refuse to report to the AHL, it won't be until August-September. Definitely hampers the Rangers' summer situation even more. Hopefully the cap has a decent bump, if we do decide to go shopping outside of our own organization.

Old
11-17-2010, 10:01 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
If the cap goes to 64 million or so, as projected, Redden's summer cap wont matter much. We can go 10% over, 10% of 64 mil is 6.4 million.

I agree. Provided Slats doesn't trade Dubisnky/let him go, we will not have the money to sign a Brad Richards this offseason.

We may need to pick up a new LW, though. You look and see

X-Stepan/EC-Gaborik
Dubi-AA-Callahan
Avery-Drury-X
Boogaard-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Rozi
MDZ-Girardi
X-Sauer

So we have 3 anticipated holes, and it's likely that we carry more than just the roster minimum 20 players.
Hopefully, one (or two) of those holes can be filled internally. I would think that at least the D spot could be assumed by V-Tank or McD. Perhaps Grachev is ready? Remains to be seen.

Either way, I think this shows that we've got some pieces to be moved should an attractive deal propose itself. Judging by this lineup, those holes won't all be filled by Grachev, MZA, etc. Consider that Kreider, Hagelin, Werek, Horak, etc. are all coming also. Drury re-signing for cheap is a likely possibility. Too many pegs, not enough holes.

Then again, that could have been said about Sauer as well. Don't mean to drag this OT, just discussing.

Old
11-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
X-Stepan/EC-Gaborik
Dubi-AA-Callahan
Avery-Drury-X
Boogaard-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Rozi
MDZ-Girardi
X-Sauer

I think you have to anticipate at least one of Zuccarello or Grachev and one of McDonagh or Valentenko making the team next year.

Old
11-17-2010, 10:06 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
I think you have to anticipate at least one of Zuccarello or Grachev and one of McDonagh or Valentenko making the team next year.
I agree, see above. While it's possible, I can't see them being an extra like Voros or White. Sink or swim, IMO.

Old
11-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Well, i'd like to hope so. But you cant promise that MZA will be here next season, or next week for that matter. Grachev is still at 4th line grinder level in the NHL, and Hagelin will very likely need a season of AHL. As a LWer, there is no way he would be right for Gaborik's wing right away.

Plus, this organization doesnt tend to freebie hand prospects NHL spots unless they have just lit up a year in the AHL like Dawes, Callahan, or Anisimov.

I'd like to think that the LD will be a rookie. But we may very well re-sign Eminger, I get a bit of a feeling if he keeps playing like he has been.

We will definately need a LW in free agency. Preferrably a good one, as I dont want to have to bump Avery to 2nd line role. I almost wonder if we could fit Semin with everyone else.

Semin-Stepan-Gaborik
Dubi-AA-Callahan
Avery-Drury-Zuccarello/Weise
Booaard-Boyle-Prust

EC

Staal-Rozi
MDZ-Girardi
Vtank-Sauer
Eminger

Lundqvist
Biron

Old
11-17-2010, 10:18 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Well, i'd like to hope so. But you cant promise that MZA will be here next season, or next week for that matter. Grachev is still at 4th line grinder level in the NHL, and Hagelin will very likely need a season of AHL. As a LWer, there is no way he would be right for Gaborik's wing right away.

Plus, this organization doesnt tend to freebie hand prospects NHL spots unless they have just lit up a year in the AHL like Dawes, Callahan, or Anisimov.

I'd like to think that the LD will be a rookie. But we may very well re-sign Eminger, I get a bit of a feeling if he keeps playing like he has been.

We will definately need a LW in free agency. Preferrably a good one, as I dont want to have to bump Avery to 2nd line role. I almost wonder if we could fit Semin with everyone else.

Semin-Stepan-Gaborik
Dubi-AA-Callahan
Booaard-Boyle-Prust

EC

Staal-Rozi
MDZ-Girardi
Vtank-Sauer
Eminger

Lundqvist
Biron
It's questionable as to how many true suitors there will be. Teams are running out of cap space like crazy. Young guys getting locked up earlier and earlier, and for longer term (Backes, Carter, Giroux, etc....and that's just the past 2 weeks).

Scanning the league quickly in my head, I can only see Toronto, Washington, Phoenix, L.A., Colorado, and the Islanders as the teams with the cap space to do it.

Toronto would likely make a go of it, they need offense, BADLY.

Washington may well re-sign Semin. Chances are he's seen what Kovalchuk went through this past off-season and he may learn that teams may not line up for him. Also, teams could be reluctant to sign a longer-term deal with the uncertainty of the CBA. Washington knows what he can be, he's best friends with the captain, and the Capital is a place where he has fit reasonably well. Does Washington want to risk letting him go, and the depth that he provides? Who else could they sign with his $6M? I can't think of ANY real options out there. (Should they go down in the playoffs this year, could they target a veteran Jerome Iginla? Just guessing.)

Phoenix would have the cap space, but there's no telling what their internal budget will be. Should Hulsizer (sp?) succeed in buying the team, come in, and want to make a splash, it could happen.

L.A. wants a star, and Semin CAN BE a star, when he wants to be. But do they want to go down that route again? They could learn from the Devils' mistake (so far, at least).

Colorado will have the space, and a top flight winger certainly would help their depth. But they seem committed to going with youth. Their attendance situation hasn't been the greatest, so the likelihood of them approaching the ceiling is low.

Lastly, the Islanders. They'd have to overpay like crazy, and their arena situation is still going to haunt them until its resolved. If Snow gets aggressive, Semin might become Yashin part II.

Old
11-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I'm not necessarily advocating it but it could be a possibility.

If Washington re-ups him it will officially be the worst free agent class since the lockout. And with a potential cap rise that means more Finger, Hainsey, Redden contracts and we should stay completely out of the market.

The best UFA contracts, coincidently, occurred the year the cap didnt rise at all.

Old
11-17-2010, 10:24 AM
pwoz

Dubi is going to ask for at least 5m/y.. Cally at least 3.5.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:37 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Dubi is going to ask for at least 5m/y.. Cally at least 3.5.
If Dubi hits ~65 points this year, he may well get it. Look at Plekanec. He had a little more history on his side, but it's not a far off comparison, stats wise.

Old
11-17-2010, 10:38 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:

Semin-Stepan-Gaborik
Dubi-AA-Callahan
Booaard-Boyle-Prust

EC

Staal-Rozi
MDZ-Girardi
Vtank-Sauer
Eminger

Lundqvist
Biron
Shame, if Drury were coming off the books a year earlier, I'd say we'd be able to sign him. With the way things are looking in terms of raises for the young guys and such, though, I just don't see it being terribly viable as things stand.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:47 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Patrick Sharp is a good comparable? Maybe in the current projections, but I just can't see Cally scoring the way Sharp has. It's true that Sharp has been a benefactor of playing with that Chicago roster, but Sharp >>>>> Callahan, and it's not even close.

Also, Sharp's extension was signed in January of 2008, while he was in the midst of what turned out to be a 36 goal season. If Cally's got 20 by January, then maybe it'll be comparable, but I doubt both of those things.
when sharp signed that contract he had produced equal or less than callahan had in his career up until that season. he was also playing with toews and kane. sharp's contract was based on projections for rest of that season in which he did score 36 points. if u used projections right now cally is on pace for about 70 points.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:

Semin-Stepan-Gaborik
Dubi-AA-Callahan
Booaard-Boyle-Prust

EC

Staal-Rozi
MDZ-Girardi
Vtank-Sauer
Eminger

Lundqvist
Biron
That's a tight fit, without EC and Eminger.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Semin ($6.000m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.250m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.100m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.400m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Evgeny Grachev ($0.816m)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m) / Brian Boyle ($1.000m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Michal Rozsival ($5.000m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Pavel Valentenko ($0.950m) / Mike Sauer ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,702,667; BONUSES: $375,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $72,333

Old
11-17-2010, 10:51 AM
ecemleafs

Backes would probably be a good comparable for contracts in terms of Dubinsky. backes had more UFA years bought out by that deal, but dubinsky is younger and will probably have a better season going into contract negotiations than backes did.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:52 AM
pwoz

Are Ranger players EVER extended during the season? I can't remember the last one...

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:53 AM
PawelW007

Please people no more big names and lavish contracts. Thats not what we need as a team. We need consistent scorers but not for 7+ mil a year, just like the guy who thought Kovalchuk was a once in a 10 year Free Agent, look whats going on over in NJ. Learn from your mistakes, keep building from within and sign a modest/consistent 20 goal scorer.

PawelW007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I think the cap is supposed to go up 2 or 3 million this offseason. That would give us some breathing room for extra players.

Of course the problem is that with Semin's great year so far, a lock of good UFAs, and a cap increase, who knows what kind of contract he might get. He aint on the Kovalchuk, Hossa, Gaborik level but hes the next best thing.

Old
11-17-2010, 10:59 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
I think the cap is supposed to go up 2 or 3 million this offseason. That would give us some breathing room for extra players.

Of course the problem is that with Semin's great year so far, a lock of good UFAs, and a cap increase, who knows what kind of contract he might get. He aint on the Kovalchuk, Hossa, Gaborik level but hes the next best thing.
That's what's gotten us into this cap mess in the first place.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:01 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawelW007 View Post
Please people no more big names and lavish contracts. Thats not what we need as a team. We need consistent scorers but not for 7+ mil a year, just like the guy who thought Kovalchuk was a once in a 10 year Free Agent, look whats going on over in NJ. Learn from your mistakes, keep building from within and sign a modest/consistent 20 goal scorer.
Yeah, look what's going on... Because that's all a result of the Kovalchuk signing. Give me a break.

The last thing this team needs is another 20 goal scorer.

We've never had big names. Scott Gomez and Chris Drury are not big names. Big names are worthy of lavish contracts. There is nothing wrong with signing great players from the free agent market. The problem is when you overpay players who aren't great.

This team is SORELY in need of a legitimate puck distributing playmaker at the center ice position, and this just happens to be one of the rare instances when one of the best playmakers in the league is in his prime and available as a free agent. This is an opportunity that this team can ill afford to pass them by. Brad Richards gives us a GREAT first line, and gives us one of the better second lines in the league, as well. Brad Richards turns this team into a Stanley Cup contender next season, the season after that, and the season after that. I can't foresee any way the same can be said if we don't make any major additions in the very near future (and there is no one else even close to as good as Richards that will be a free agent in the near future).

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Imagine if we could get rid of rozi's contract this summer...

FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Brad Richards ($7.500m) / Alexander Frolov ($2.850m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.250m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.250m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.000m)
Petr Prucha ($1.000m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Sean Avery ($1.937m)
Brian Boyle ($1.000m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m)

DEFENSEMEN
Mike Sauer ($0.500m) / Marc Staal ($3.975m)
Daniel Girardi ($3.325m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
Matt Gilroy ($1.500m) / Pavel Valentenko ($0.825m)

GOALTENDERS

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote