HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Richards calls out Subban

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2010, 12:41 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
A real mouthpiece who won't put his money where his mouth is.
Sean Avery School of Hockey?

Old
11-17-2010, 12:42 PM
captainpaxil

the captain just called this guy out its time for the team to respond on monday. follow through every check and run the score up see how cocky the kid is then. seriously run the first unit power play till the clock runs out and i dont wanna see anybody laying off a guy cuz he was in a bad position, tell them to complain to subban about it.

Old
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
is it that boring over on the Habs board that they have to stay over here?
Apparently. Habs fans are like a bad rash...you get one, and you just can't get it to go away. And then it spreads. And then you want to die just so it's over, because that seems like the only to get it to go away.

Old
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Sean Avery School of Hockey?
Subban reminds me more of Terrel Owens without the talent.

Sure he's got talent, but he's not going to be a top NHL defenseman like Terrel Owens was the top WR. That's what makes his chatter even that much more annoying to other players in the NHL.

Old
11-17-2010, 12:44 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Honestly, he'd never survive in Lavi's "team-first" system.
What do you mean? He's survived in junior, he survived for team canada, he survived in the AHL and he's surviving very well in the NHL. And "survive" is an extreme understatement in all of these cases.

He's even been praised throughout his career for being a character, leader and team player...

I don't get all the hate -- I mean, we hab fans don't deny that you guys have some amazing talent that we'd love to own...

Once in awhile other teams will have some players you'd love to have -- no need to mask that with hate.

Old
11-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Richards was asked about Subban. It's not like he went to the media and said, "Here. Jot this down."

Honestly, Subban is the one who is handling himself incorrectly. He's a finesse player acting tough in a league where he isn't anywhere near the toughest. There's going to be some guys going after him if he continues to act like he does.

It's just the way the NHL works. It'd be better if he quieted down a tad. He can still be outspoken but make sure he's doing it the right way.
Yeah the media plays it for sure. They also asked Subban about Richards.

Subban was more concerned about the win than anything. Then he did what I believe to be the right thing to do as a man and hockey player and acknowledge that "I'm only a rookie I haven't even played 20 games yet" and "Mike Richards is a great player and I have tons of respect for him".

Talk is talk and talk is weak. The game should be played on the ice if you ask me. Maybe we just don't see it the same way I guess.

And I won't touch the lack of talent stuff you're mentionning because it's absolutely wrong and you and me both know it. I know you are more knowledgeable than that as a hockey's future staff member and you're playing that card to draw reactions.

Old
11-17-2010, 12:48 PM
facts

He spends more time hyping himself. He is always chirping and trying to get into a scrum after ht e ref is in. He shakes his gloves like he is going to drop them and does his litttle dances in warm up (notice me notice me). We only see him four times so he will perform more and more, but he won't do that stuff against a confernce team like boston, Lucic or Chara will end him and pk knows that.

Old
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Yeah the media plays it for sure. They also asked Subban about Richards.

Subban was more concerned about the win than anything. Then he did what I believe to be the right thing to do as a man and hockey player and acknowledge that "I'm only a rookie I haven't even played 20 games yet" and "Mike Richards is a great player and I have tons of respect for him".

Talk is talk and talk is weak. The game should be played on the ice if you ask me. Maybe we just don't see it the same way I guess.
Then you should be supporting Richards not Subban.

You know Richards is going to back up his words.

Subban's nonsense about Mike Richards to the media sounds a little insincere considering he spent the entire game talking trash.

Old
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Subban reminds me more of Terrel Owens without the talent.

Sure he's got talent, but he's not going to be a top NHL defenseman like Terrel Owens was the top WR. That's what makes his chatter even that much more annoying to other players in the NHL.
Better analogy.

And I love the Canadians board thread. Apparently through their logic, Richards calling out Subban means we're trashy fans. I know some women that follow that logic too!

Old
11-17-2010, 12:49 PM
thewall

funny that u call Subban a little punk but Carcillo is the man.. Carcillo is 10x worst then Subban.. U only wish to have him on you team... same thing i feel about Giroux.. wish he was a Hab...

comming from the mouth of the dirtiest team in the league this is just irony.....

love the Plekanec celebration ala Daniel Biere.. Fist Pump baby..

can't wait for monday's game!

Flyers will goon it up.. Habs will score 2 PP goals and escape with another win!

Old
11-17-2010, 12:50 PM
habaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Good point. Either that or the world just ended.

Subban is a punk. Although I've never been a fan of puckhogs and hotdogs, he is a talented punk.

Off the ice, he's apparently a great kid. On the ice, it's another story entirely.
I find it ironic that Flyers fans are calling an opposing player "punk" when they themselves cheer a team that probably has the roster with the most, what was that word again? PUNKS.

Carcillo, Hartnell and Pronger are considered to be 3 of the dirtiest players in the league year in year out. Richards, as great a player as he is, has clearly demonstrated a knack for headhunting, Powe is as dirty as they come but Subban is a punk for being a little chattery...r u kidding me?

Old
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
What do you mean? He's survived in junior, he survived for team canada, he survived in the AHL and he's surviving very well in the NHL. And "survive" is an extreme understatement in all of these cases.

He's even been praised throughout his career for being a character, leader and team player...

I don't get all the hate -- I mean, we hab fans don't deny that you guys have some amazing talent that we'd love to own...

Once in awhile other teams will have some players you'd love to have -- no need to mask that with hate.
I agree with you to an extent. His character is not an issue. What becomes an issue is that he takes it too far. The Flyers' leadership would correct that fairly quickly if he was in Philadelphia. I have no doubt about that.

Still, I would rather have a number of young defensemen before Subban. By a number, I mean it's something like 5-10, maybe more.

Old
Jigger77

Quote:
Then you should be supporting Richards not Subban.

You know Richards is going to back up his words.

Subban's nonsense about Mike Richards to the media sounds a little insincere considering he spent the entire game talking trash.
I hope so. Richards is a very, very dangerous offensive threat. And if Subban as a rookie manages to take him off his game and get him thinking about other stuff than scoring goals all the better for us.

Old
11-17-2010, 12:52 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Honestly PK has some great skill and speed, and he should turn into a great D man soon enough.

But he really does have some serious ego problems.

Old
11-17-2010, 12:54 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I see the mods are going to have some more cleaning up to do. the children have arrived from across the street.

EDIT: Advice for my fellow Flyer fans, dont get baited into the comments on this thread by the Habs fans. No need to go down that road.

Old
11-17-2010, 12:55 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
I hope so. Richards is a very, very dangerous offensive threat. And if Subban as a rookie manages to take him off his game and get him thinking about other stuff than scoring goals all the better for us.
Richards is never thinking about just scoring goals. He is a complete package that shows he can handle any aspect of the game, even if he needs to fight/agitate.

Old
11-17-2010, 12:55 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post

He's been a me-first puckhog since his first day in the OHL. We saw glimpses of it in the WJC as well. Not in his attitude towards his team, but in his play. PK simply forgot that he had teammates on the ice at times.

That may have changed a bit in the AHL (I only saw him play once), but it was definitely his game.

I've not been a fan of his - which has nothing to do with which jersey he's wearing. I just don't like that style of play. I'm not a big fan of rookies constantly yapping, but that's part of his game. It is what it is. Has nothing to do with hate.

He's talented, no doubt. I don't believe he's ever going to be considered one of the top defenders in the league, but that's something we'll have to wait to see.

Old
11-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Richards was asked about Subban. It's not like he went to the media and said, "Here. Jot this down."

Honestly, Subban is the one who is handling himself incorrectly. He's a finesse player acting tough in a league where he isn't anywhere near the toughest. There's going to be some guys going after him if he continues to act like he does.

It's just the way the NHL works. It'd be better if he quieted down a tad. He can still be outspoken but make sure he's doing it the right way.
According to whom? You? Because he's the type of players piling up points, that doesn't necessarily make him a finesse player. Subban is multidimensional and will try punishing hits at his blue line anytime; he's a lot more than a finesse player.

Old
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
With the compete level of Richards and the fact that the young core of this team seems to follow his example (good or bad) on the ice before following Pronger or even Laviolette at times, Richards is probably the last player you want making it a point to show up against you game after game.

Old
BringBackStevens

Habs fans are becoming beyond annoying on this forum. They gloat like mad and attack other teams and fans over nothing. It's getting irritating

Old
11-17-2010, 12:57 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Meh. I'd love to have him on this team. He was taken two spots after the Flyers took Marshall.
Yeah but Marshall is part of that deep and rich in talent defensive core currently playing on the phantoms.

He must have said something Richards didnít like at all for him to respond as he is usually the high road guy.

Old
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
According to whom? You? Because he's the type of players piling up points, that doesn't necessarily make him a finesse player. Subban is multidimensional and will try punishing hits at his blue line anytime; he's a lot more than a finesse player.
Okay, so I made an over-generalization about Subban's play.

That said, what is he closer to, a finesse game of Kimmo Timonen (not that Timonen isn't somewhat physical) or a pound it out game of Chris Pronger.

For our intents and purposes, Subban is far more finesse than physical.

Old
Anderson55

Richards does seem to complain/whine quite a bit, especially after a loss, and he has the nerve to call people like Crosby a whinner?
what does Richards know about respect? ask David Booth

Old
11-17-2010, 12:59 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Habs fans are becoming beyond annoying on this forum. They gloat like mad and attack other teams and fans over nothing. It's getting irritating
My ignore list has gotten heavier since last night.

Old
11-17-2010, 01:00 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson55 View Post
Richards does seem to complain/whine quite a bit, especially after a loss, and he has the nerve to call people like Crosby a whinner?
what does Richards know about respect? ask David Booth
Not only did Richards start letting up on open-ice hits after David Booth (in the very next game against Florida he had a chance to clock somebody and completely let up) even before the league made them illegal, but he answered a fight not only their captain but also Booth when Booth returned. He certainly didn't have to do that.

Richards is a competitive player, not a dirty player. There is a difference.

Closed Thread