HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers who did not like playing for the Flyers ?

Old
11-15-2010, 12:47 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Kinda off topic I suppose but whatever happened to Danny Markov and Vladamir Malakhov I always liked the 2 for what ever reason

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:01 AM
Bill_Meltzer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Mark Pederson was sent to San Jose. He went to Europe about a year later.
Funny thing about Pederson was that he really clicked on a line with Rod Brind'Amour and Kevin Dineen in the second half of the 1991-92 season -- averaged almost a PPG over that span. Not that long thereafter he was out of the league entirely. He was too one-dimensional as a player. Scoring was still very high around the league at that time, so he certainly wasn't missed in that area and he didn't do anything else to distinguish himself.

BTW, Pederson is now coaching in Japan.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:18 AM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

did kevin hatcher not like it during his brief time here or did he just suck? or, third option, was he having trouble finding a dealer he trusted in the delaware valley?

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:26 AM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Kinda off topic I suppose but whatever happened to Danny Markov and Vladamir Malakhov I always liked the 2 for what ever reason
Markov partied too hard, and Malakhov wanted to get paid.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:43 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
Funny thing about Pederson was that he really clicked on a line with Rod Brind'Amour and Kevin Dineen in the second half of the 1991-92 season -- averaged almost a PPG over that span. Not that long thereafter he was out of the league entirely. He was too one-dimensional as a player. Scoring was still very high around the league at that time, so he certainly wasn't missed in that area and he didn't do anything else to distinguish himself.

BTW, Pederson is now coaching in Japan.
I think you nailed it with "one-dimensional player." We had a topic recently of disappointing players and he was close to the top on my list. He showed flashes at times. I was unaware about him coaching in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
did kevin hatcher not like it during his brief time here or did he just suck? or, third option, was he having trouble finding a dealer he trusted in the delaware valley?
Kevin Hatcher was never with the Flyers. Derian Hatcher is currently the team’s Player Development Coach.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 04:33 AM
Komarov47

can we say Ray Emery?

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 05:01 PM
CTU2fan

When Paul Lawless was traded here (for Lindsay Carson) he got here out of shape and Mike Keenan ripped him publicly for it. Paul is a pretty low-key guy and really couldn't deal with Keenan. I don't think had any particular dislike of Philly or the Flyers organization but I know he wanted out ASAP because of his clashing with Keenan. I think he only lasted a handful of games before being moved on to either Toronto or Vancouver.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:41 AM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
Kevin Hatcher was never with the Flyers. Derian Hatcher is currently the teamís Player Development Coach.
brain fart... i meant kevin stevens

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Didn't Mike Bullard want no part of Philly, Flyers team play and the like? I liked him, too, as he had some talent, and when he wanted to, could take over a game. But I remember him bolting for Europe instead of re-signing with the Flyers. And it wasn't a Metro I-like-Europe kinda thing. Hope I am wrong, but that's what I remember.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:05 PM
jb**

Vaclv Pletka didnít feel he was given a chance and though he should have been in the nhl. Donít know if hate is the correct word but maybe he felt slighted.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Kyle Calder didn't exactly enjoy his time here. But he is a ****** in general. 20 goal talent, 0 goal determination.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:41 PM
ashamsmashem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Kyle Calder didn't exactly enjoy his time here. But he is a ****** in general. 20 goal talent, 0 goal determination.
still can't believe we gave up handzus for that piece of ****.

ashamsmashem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashamsmashem View Post
still can't believe we gave up handzus for that piece of ****.
The deal made a great deal of sense... what is remarkable is how Calder's career completely fell apart after he was dealt by Chicago.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 04:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
It probably had to do with Clarkie shooting from the hip...

"Roger went goofy on us"

and

"Roger got cancer, that wasn't our fault, we didn't tell him to go get cancer"

My feelings would be a little hurt too.
Nielson was never the fault of Clarke, he was always painted with a bad brush because of how he put it, which isn't unlike Clarke.

Nielson wasn't brought back because the doctors wouldn't clear him, so Clarke wouldn't let him come back. Roger Nielson was the only one who thought Roger Nielson was ready to return to coaching. Nielson later said that Clarke did the right thing.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 05:13 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
brain fart... i meant kevin stevens
Stevens fell out of favor with Craig Ramsay and lost his role on the team. He was a healthy scratch nearly half the games under both Ramsay and Bill Barber. His best game was in Barber's initial game as head coach -- I think he had three points, so he had the chance for a fresh start. There was a report that Stevens was caught drinking (in Colorado, IIRC) while under the NHL's Substance Abuse policy. He was traded not soon thereafter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
Didn't Mike Bullard want no part of Philly, Flyers team play and the like? I liked him, too, as he had some talent, and when he wanted to, could take over a game. But I remember him bolting for Europe instead of re-signing with the Flyers. And it wasn't a Metro I-like-Europe kinda thing. Hope I am wrong, but that's what I remember.
He had a prior arrest, drunk driving (car hit people -- minor injuries), when he played for Pittsburgh. In Philly, he had a run-in with Holmgren (head coach) in the locker room (breaking curfew during the playoffs) and Mark Howe said something to effect of "I thought Holmgren was going to kill him." He played for five teams in five years (as I recall) and the Flyers didn't issue his a contract so he went to Switzerland for a season.

Old
11-17-2010, 06:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Kevin Stevens was traded for John Slaney, which for someone who was strictly an AHL Superstar, was about as good of a trade you could get for someone who was never going to contribute in the NHL on a regular basis.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:50 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Nielson was never the fault of Clarke, he was always painted with a bad brush because of how he put it, which isn't unlike Clarke.

Nielson wasn't brought back because the doctors wouldn't clear him, so Clarke wouldn't let him come back. Roger Nielson was the only one who thought Roger Nielson was ready to return to coaching. Nielson later said that Clarke did the right thing.
Yea, I know. I wasn't bashing Clarke, just sharing Roger's pov. I enjoyed Clarkie, GM.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Beastieboy

Quote:
Keenan's methods have been well-documented but some players have admitted he was the best coach for whom they played. It was a huge burden for some in a short period of time. Ron Sutter had a sour taste because Keenan would often use him to get to Rich Sutter, not one of Keenan's favorites. Some, like Derrick Smith and Ron Hextall, were generally supportive.
Hextall is my all time fave... when I went to the dinner where he was inducted into the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame 2 years ago he made a speech. I believe he thanked Keenan and Clarke but no other NHL coaches or GMs were mentioned. I thought that was interesting. Guess Keenan brought out the best in him and 86-87 was such an incredible year.

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 05:05 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post
Hextall is my all time fave... when I went to the dinner where he was inducted into the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame 2 years ago he made a speech. I believe he thanked Keenan and Clarke but no other NHL coaches or GMs were mentioned. I thought that was interesting. Guess Keenan brought out the best in him and 86-87 was such an incredible year.
Sounds like a fun night.

I heard someone say recently that Tocchet was asked of Keenan "one night I loved playing for him, the next night I wanted to kill him." Probably says it all.

Old
11-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Normand Lacombe

Ted Harris
Dennis Ververgaert
Thomas Eriksson
Jiri Latal
Dan Quinn
Jiri Dotipa

Somebody mentioned Brad McCrimmon. I think he liked playing here it was just he and Clarke despised each other personally.

Normand Lacombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 06:03 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normand Lacombe View Post
Ted Harris
Dennis Ververgaert
Thomas Eriksson
Jiri Latal
Dan Quinn
Jiri Dotipa

Somebody mentioned Brad McCrimmon. I think he liked playing here it was just he and Clarke despised each other personally.
Eriksson was homesick the first time around and returned home. He had two tours with the Flyers. The second time, as I recall, a shot smashed his knee and he never played again.

About Normand Lacombe... he was suspended by the Flyers for not accompanying the team on a road trip and eventually a hearing involving the NHL, Glen Sather and Bobby Clarke, among others, took place because Lacombe, unknown to the Flyers, suffered from a pre-existing condition of chronic shin splints and required postseason surgery on both legs to correct chronic exertional compartment syndrome. He played in March, 1990 the same month NHL president John Ziegler ruled in favor of the Oilers. Lacombe played the following season but the Flyers bought out the 1991-92 part of his contract.

Old
11-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normand Lacombe View Post
Ted Harris
Dennis Ververgaert
Thomas Eriksson
Jiri Latal
Dan Quinn
Jiri Dotipa

Before there was Pat Falloon, there was Dennis Ververgaert. Keith Allen actually tried several times to acquire Ververgaert (who had a huge season in '75-'76 and was never able to live up it to again) before he finally was able to get him. Just didn't work out.

Thomas Eriksson didn't dislike playing for the Flyers so much as that he couldn't stand Mike Keenan. The first time Eriksson went home to Sweden (after his rookie pro season, one game into year two) was that he was homesick and didn't feel ready for the NHL yet. When he came back, he was more ready for the adjustments and was fairly happy under Bob McCammon but hated Keenan.

Dopita didn't dislike playing for the Flyers but was indifferent to the NHL in general. Not sure about Latl except that he didn't live up to his potential. Martin Hostak and Vaclav Pletka were unhappy here. Divisek liked it, but shoulder injuries did him in as an NHL prospect.

Quinn had two stints here. I know he was thrilled to come here the second time around after starting the season with a bad Ottawa team, but Terry Murray soured on him.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote