HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Eklund: Setoguchi for Beauchemin

Old
11-17-2010, 12:40 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Eklund: Setoguchi for Beauchemin

Eklund: New Rumour Blog Up> Rumour: Setoguchi and a 3rd for Beauchemin

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Holy overpayment, batman!

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Kitten Mittons

Yeah, Eklund.....

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:50 PM
DPyro

Beauchemin and Brent were simply taking a day of recovery. Wilson said both are going to be in against New Jersey.
mirtle

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:53 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Hold the Pickles

Doesn't work cap wise.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Injection

So I guess it would be a no from a Sharks' perspective..

How has Setoguchi looked this year? Just curious as a Leaf fan, only seen one Shark game so far this season.

Injection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:05 PM
SonomaShark
SJ Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles View Post
Doesn't work cap wise.
Seto = 1.8M
Beauchemin = 3.8M

Current Cap Space = 1.5ish

So send Joslin back to Worcester and it's a squeaker.

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:07 PM
DPyro

I think it could be a fair deal give or take. Setoguchi could bounce back, or end up like Cheechoo.

Old
11-17-2010, 01:13 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

I'd entertain the idea... But, i just think the Sharks just aren't going to trade Seto. His cap hit is very accommodating, even for a depth 3rd liner as he's being played at the moment.

He's also RFA. If he plays to his potential, he's going to be very valuable at the end of the season. If he doesn't play to his top-line potential, then he's still going to be a valuable depth forward in the playoffs.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Gormo
Holupchi

Sharks would have to be insane

Seto is 7 years younger.
Much higher potential.
Beau makes 2.3 million more.
And frankly, Setoguchi is just a much better player.
Lastly, he is most certainly NOT another Cheechoo.

I think it would work if Setoguchi was a flame, because of the Daryl Sutter factor.

Gormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

vCash: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injection View Post
So I guess it would be a no from a Sharks' perspective..

How has Setoguchi looked this year? Just curious as a Leaf fan, only seen one Shark game so far this season.
Seto has essentially looked like **** thus far this season. You can see in the games that he is making the effort; strong push towards the puck, battling for position, setting himself up in shooting lanes. But this doesn't take away from the fact that he is trying TOO hard to achieve ie; forcing shots, taking bad penalties, being gassed, and other signs of obvious frustration.

It's too early in the season to take rumors of Seto's departure seriously, at 1.8M cap hit he's a bargain player with a high ceiling. Though if the current trend continues, I wouldn't be surprised to hear his name pop up numerous times toward Deadline.

Chaotic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Injection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic8 View Post
Seto has essentially looked like **** thus far this season. You can see in the games that he is making the effort; strong push towards the puck, battling for position, setting himself up in shooting lanes. But this doesn't take away from the fact that he is trying TOO hard to achieve ie; forcing shots, taking bad penalties, being gassed, and other signs of obvious frustration.

It's too early in the season to take rumors of Seto's departure seriously, at 1.8M cap hit he's a bargain player with a high ceiling. Though if the current trend continues, I wouldn't be surprised to hear his name pop up numerous times toward Deadline.
Thanks for the update. Beauch has been the scapegoat for Leafs fans so far. He gives away the puck way too much. Otherwise he's pretty solid defensively. Not worth his cap hit though.

Was surprised to see many fans in this thread call it a fair deal, I thought Setoguchi was more valuable than that.

Injection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:01 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Its a trade that would have seemed less than ideal in the summer. But now with Seto playing below our expectations for a second season, its less of a stretch. Cap wise its doable and it gives us a top 4 defenseman we need - but is he THE top 4 defenseman we need? Boyle with the long deal and Beauchemin with a few years remaining makes for an aging top tandem.

I am concerned more about trading the speed in Seto for the below average speeed of Beauchemin, and trading out a player in Seto who signed a bargain one year deal being a good soldier - then management using that bargain deal as a trading chip in sending him off to another team. Might handcuff management later when they ask players to take one for the team financially. And clearly Seto has more upside while Beauchemin has reached his peak and might be trailing off a bit now.

As straight up transaction, I'd probably pass on the deal today. Ask me in December/January and I might change my mind. We are not an elite team with the defense we have and this might be the last year of the window for this core to win the Cup. So either way, something will need to be done and Seto, Mitchell, Huskins, McGinn are the most obvious chips for a trade. Someone will leave when we do pull the trigger. The time will be more apparent if one of the 3rd line players or a call-up starts to assert themselves. That will make it easier to let a forward go when that happens. But its not the right time IMO.

11-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

*Reads thread*
*see's Eklund*

NOPE

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Its a trade that would have seemed less than ideal in the summer. But now with Seto playing below our expectations for a second season, its less of a stretch. Cap wise its doable and it gives us a top 4 defenseman we need - but is he THE top 4 defenseman we need? Boyle with the long deal and Beauchemin with a few years remaining makes for an aging top tandem.
Then the key point here is that your expectations are unrealistically high. And anyone else's expectations who expect Seto to be a consistent and significant scoring threat.

He's 23, in his 3rd season, played a good chunk of last season injured or recovering from injury, and has obviously been working on other aspects of his game to be a more all-around player. Just as Patty struggled for years for any sort of consistency, and Clowe had his issues, as did JT, Seto will have his slumps and his down times. And even if he's not scoring right now, he is doing everything else a 3rd-liner is expected to do. And he's being paid like a 3rd-liner.

So adjust your expectations one an all. If his consistency improves, he'll be back to being a 2nd-liner. If it doesn't he'll get paid like a 3rd-liner again next year and he'll stay on the 3rd line until he develops more. Having Seto as a 3rd-liner is hardly a terrible proposition.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:11 PM
baydrake
gutless performance

AND a 3rd?

plzno

baydrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:12 PM
AnderFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBaySharksFan View Post
Seto = 1.8M
Beauchemin = 3.8M

Current Cap Space = 1.5ish

So send Joslin back to Worcester and it's a squeaker.
So Beauchemin would take Joslin's spot on the roster but then you'd need someone to take Setoguchi's spot and that's at least another $500K.

AnderFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:35 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Seto has not been playing bad - he's been getting chances, using his speed and last time i checked was leading the team in hits. The only "problem", if there is one in Setos game is that his offensive output is some what lower that expectations at this time. I'm sure he'll end up around 40-50 points this season.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:35 PM
TheSandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post

I am concerned more about trading the speed in Seto for the below average speeed of Beauchemin, and trading out a player in Seto who signed a bargain one year deal being a good soldier - then management using that bargain deal as a trading chip in sending him off to another team. Might handcuff management later when they ask players to take one for the team financially. And clearly Seto has more upside while Beauchemin has reached his peak and might be trailing off a bit now.

As straight up transaction, I'd probably pass on the deal today. Ask me in December/January and I might change my mind. We are not an elite team with the defense we have and this might be the last year of the window for this core to win the Cup. So either way, something will need to be done and Seto, Mitchell, Huskins, McGinn are the most obvious chips for a trade. Someone will leave when we do pull the trigger. The time will be more apparent if one of the 3rd line players or a call-up starts to assert themselves. That will make it easier to let a forward go when that happens. But its not the right time IMO.
I don't understand what you mean by this......Marleau, Thornton, Heatley, Pavelski, and Boyle are all under long-term deals. Even the older ones in that crop still have a few years of their prime left.

I am all for trading Seto, and I do like Beachemin.....but I'd rather see Seto moved as part of a package for a a higher caliber defenseman, and maybe a younger one.

TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:39 PM
DPyro

Exactly what higher caliber younger defencemen are available?

Old
11-17-2010, 02:42 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
I think it could be a fair deal give or take. Setoguchi could bounce back, or end up like Cheechoo.
His speed alone will never make him like Cheechoo. Unless you are just looking at point totals and not on-ice performance.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:42 PM
TheSandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
Exactly what higher caliber younger defencemen are available?
Some of the proposals around Letang or Burns seem appealing to me. That being said, I don't know who's actually available. I do know that if the right deal isn't on the table then that doesn't mean that the Sharks should make a move anyway.

TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:46 PM
DPyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
His speed alone will never make him like Cheechoo. Unless you are just looking at point totals and not on-ice performance.
I was only commenting on point totals. I haven't actually seen enough of setoguchi to comment on other parts of his game.

Old
11-17-2010, 02:46 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post
Some of the proposals around Letang or Burns seem appealing to me. That being said, I don't know who's actually available. I do know that if the right deal isn't on the table then that doesn't mean that the Sharks should make a move anyway.
I'd love Coburn or Burns. Coburn probably won't be available since Philly has the best chance at the Cup in the East, and he's a pretty integral part of their core now.
Burns, possibly as a deadline trade, but it'd take a pretty huge overpayment.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote