HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Which player can "patch" the Habs' lack of physical toughness

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-17-2010, 11:59 AM
  #76
Bronn
Registered Sellsword
 
Bronn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Highest Bidder
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
Don't mind recalling White but he'll not get to play over Pyatt IMO. JM likes him and to be fair he's an important part of the PK. But if Halpern can't go and seeing how Boyd has fallen out of the picture, White's energy and grit would be welcomed, and not just against the Flyers.
I said Pyatt but maybe Darche should be scratched instead. He has played well so far but scratching him wouldn't hurt the PK as much as scratching Pyatt would and could be an option.

Pouliot - Halpern - White ? Sounds good to me and we keep Pyatt in the lineup. The more i think about it , the more i think it would be a better option.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:01 PM
  #77
Aurel Joliat
Registered User
 
Aurel Joliat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,609
vCash: 500
I am agree with some people here.
Recall White and Henry.
I don't know if Gorges and Halpern will be healthy and if yes, scratch Pyatt and Picard.

I really hope we will finally recall White

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:02 PM
  #78
ikelechien
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Braeshore
Country: Canada
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz View Post
We need to call up Henry as #7. Play him opposite Subban against teams like the Flyers when the score is out of hand. Insurance policy. We can't lose Subban and Markov.
Yes, I agree the team needs some more size and grit to play against certain teams and more importantly to be succeesful for the playoffs.

One player is not the solution, a guy like Henry could provide some help. However, more importantly, I would like to see some 4th line size and grit - White is ready, Pacioretty could be soon if he is not already (even if he doesn't want to play 4th line).

In summary, a team like Philly will target our best players and pick them off one by one (like their Captain, Mike Richards, is suggesting they do with Subban) if we stand pat. The status quo even with our winning streak is not the answer. A concerted effort to beef up our team is needed before the playoffs - most of what is needed is already available in Hamilton. That means certain players currently on the roster will have to sit or be sent down or moved e.g. Boyd, Pyatt (he provides a good PK and a good effort but is small and not hard enough to play against).

ikelechien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:54 PM
  #79
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz View Post
I don't think he's a liability. He brings 0 offense, but he's not a liability defensively.
Really? I'm not sure Henry can get back as a forward to do anything defensively. Or that he generates any forecheck or other defensive benefits as a forward.

As a defenseman, I agree that he's not a liability... not what I've seen of him yet, anyway. He becomes something like Hal Gill, or Jay Leach, or some other mobility-challenged types we've seen, who nevertheless know their limitations and play within them. He's not Hal Gill, otherwise he'd be running for 1000 NHL games too, but I doubt he'd get burned too much more, and he brings aggressiveness that Gill totally lacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
And I maintain that trying to play the Flyers' game by fighting toughness with toughness is a slippery slope. We don't have the ressources to play that game no matter how you slice it. We play the way NJ and Detroit have the past few years. We're not about aggression, like it or not, that's not how this team was built.
Oh yeah, I totally don't think we do it as a specific response to Philly or with any illusion that it truly changes our team or our style in any way. It's just that right now we've got 21 players, 6 D, you have to add *somebody* and there are a variety of reasons why it could be Alex Henry. He might not even dress most nights, not necessarily even against Philly. But if you start looking at moves, from recalls to trades to new signings, then it probably makes sense to consider ones which address things the team lacks, at least as a consideration, weighed against all other factors involved.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:55 PM
  #80
kassian
Registered User
 
kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikelechien View Post
Yes, I agree the team needs some more size and grit to play against certain teams and more importantly to be succeesful for the playoffs.

One player is not the solution, a guy like Henry could provide some help. However, more importantly, I would like to see some 4th line size and grit - White is ready, Pacioretty could be soon if he is not already (even if he doesn't want to play 4th line).

In summary, a team like Philly will target our best players and pick them off one by one (like their Captain, Mike Richards, is suggesting they do with Subban) if we stand pat. The status quo even with our winning streak is not the answer. A concerted effort to beef up our team is needed before the playoffs - most of what is needed is already available in Hamilton. That means certain players currently on the roster will have to sit or be sent down or moved e.g. Boyd, Pyatt (he provides a good PK and a good effort but is small and not hard enough to play against).
I like Pac, but he's just a hitting dummy. Last year he averaged like 1.5 hits / game (received). I wouldn't risk playing him in a game against the Flyers. If you want to bring to AHL forwards to be gritty against that punk team, might as well recall Jimmy Bonneau or Ian Schultz.

For me, White is a lock. Henry should be in discussion.

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:01 PM
  #81
ikelechien
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Braeshore
Country: Canada
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeronne View Post
I like Pac, but he's just a hitting dummy. Last year he averaged like 1.5 hits / game (received). I wouldn't risk playing him in a game against the Flyers. If you want to bring to AHL forwards to be gritty against that punk team, might as well recall Jimmy Bonneau or Ian Schultz.

For me, White is a lock. Henry should be in discussion.
It is not just about hitting; it is about size too, Pacioretty adds to our size and keeps the skating of Pyatt - I am not sure Martin will take him though after his recent comments. Bonneau and Schultz are barely AHL material at this stage and are unlikely to be of benefit this season although there is some hope for Schultz down the road.

ikelechien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:02 PM
  #82
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground And Pound View Post
Scratch Pyatt and Picard and recall Henry and White.

White is more suited than Pyatt to play physical teams like the Flyers and can play on the PK too even if he may not be as effective. Ditto for Henry - Picard.

Then again maybe it would be wise to not try to play the Flyers game and just keep the status quo since it worked pretty well last night. On the other hand we should expect the Flyers to go all out on Monday , especially in Philly. Adding more toughness may not be a bad thing.
That would be my plan also. Pyatt and Picard for White and Henry.

I would send Pyatt down permanently anyway so White can stay here.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:09 PM
  #83
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,195
vCash: 500
Same thread year after year. Don't hold your breathe, managment will sit back and let teams take liberties with our guys all season long. We have no answer to guys like Powe.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:12 PM
  #84
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
I am agree with some people here.
Recall White and Henry.
I don't know if Gorges and Halpern will be healthy and if yes, scratch Pyatt and Picard.

I really hope we will finally recall White
Why scratch Picard. The guy plays pretty well and doesn't make many mistakes. Also he has been dressed for 2 of our 3 shutouts, last night and in Ottawa.

White is another Moen, great energy type of player but he can't go against heavyweights

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:14 PM
  #85
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Same thread year after year. Don't hold your breathe, managment will sit back and let teams take liberties with our guys all season long. We have no answer to guys like Powe.
Well we did sign Laraque cvouple of years back, didn't turn out too well

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:22 PM
  #86
Bronn
Registered Sellsword
 
Bronn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Highest Bidder
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
That would be my plan also. Pyatt and Picard for White and Henry.

I would send Pyatt down permanently anyway so White can stay here.
I'm not sure i would do that (send Pyatt down permanently) since he's pretty effective on the PK but i think that in the long run White could become just as effective with more experience and if molded in the right way.

This is a guy that seem to have no problem sacrificing himself for the team a la Begin , Gorges ect (block shots) ect and that can be a huge asset on the PK.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:31 PM
  #87
Lars Eller Superstar*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
Is Brendon Nash physical ?

We need Alex Henry

Lars Eller Superstar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:35 PM
  #88
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Same thread year after year. Don't hold your breathe, managment will sit back and let teams take liberties with our guys all season long. We have no answer to guys like Powe.
Every team has guys like that, we have Lapierre. Do you think the Flyers board are pondering callups to "shut up" Lapierre and Subban? Phillie is a greasy team, having 4 goons dressed won't prevent them from doing that. Do you honestly think that little Pow will fight Henry who's 6'5" 230lbs?

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:35 PM
  #89
Bronn
Registered Sellsword
 
Bronn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Highest Bidder
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Eller Superstar View Post
Is Brendon Nash physical ?

We need Alex Henry
I haven't seen much of him but he seems to be more of a reach/stick guy than a physical guy.

I could be wrong though so maybe someone more knowlegeable about him may answer you better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Every team has guys like that, we have Lapierre. Do you think the Flyers board are pondering callups to "shut up" Lapierre and Subban? Phillie is a greasy team, having 4 goons dressed won't prevent them from doing that. Do you honestly think that little Pow will fight Henry who's 6'5" 230lbs?
I wonder if Richards watched his buddy Carcillo when he debuted in the NHL ? He was ten time worse as far as thrash talking goes and much more dirty than PK. He didn't give a **** about respect for the veterans or whatever.

I don't understand why it's such a big deal with PK. Frustration i guess


Last edited by Bronn: 11-17-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:46 PM
  #90
phoque taupe
Registered User
 
phoque taupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 900
vCash: 500
Eller in Hamilton for White (because i like Eller so much i want him to develop with 20min TOI)

Recall Henry for those rivals trying to headhunt PK.
We should be good.

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:52 PM
  #91
Aurel Joliat
Registered User
 
Aurel Joliat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Why scratch Picard. The guy plays pretty well and doesn't make many mistakes. Also he has been dressed for 2 of our 3 shutouts, last night and in Ottawa.

White is another Moen, great energy type of player but he can't go against heavyweights
White will not fight Shelley. But he can drop the gloves against O'Donnell, Richards, Hartnell.

Against the Flyers Henry would be more effective than Picard. I have nothing against Picard but that's the reality.

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:58 PM
  #92
ChristosCUP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
plllleasse dont scratch pyatt... He is one of the reasons our PK is where it is! yes we do need to toughen up, but how many times have the habs lost due to being bullied? Come on guys, smarten up.

ChristosCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:59 PM
  #93
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground And Pound View Post
I'm not sure i would do that (send Pyatt down permanently) since he's pretty effective on the PK but i think that in the long run White could become just as effective with more experience and if molded in the right way.

This is a guy that seem to have no problem sacrificing himself for the team a la Begin , Gorges ect (block shots) ect and that can be a huge asset on the PK.
We have many other guys that can play the PK. I'm sure White could do it. And he'smore gritty than Pyatt.

I don't think Pyatt is necessary at this point.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:06 PM
  #94
ChristosCUP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
i dunno bud... hes is a sure thing on the PK.. but you are right about white. Defends all his teammates and can actually defend himself. At this point though, i think i would rather see Darche sit a couple of games.. not because he isnt doing his job, but to add the grittyness that white brings.. but i would prefer pyatt staying in the lineup..

ChristosCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:06 PM
  #95
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,585
vCash: 500
Ideal line-up for Now

Cammy-Plek-Gio
Pouliot-Eller-Andrei K
Moen-Halpern-Darche
White-Lappy-Conboy

Hammer-Spacek
Gill-Gorges
Henry-Subban

Price
Auld

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:08 PM
  #96
alexstream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,396
vCash: 500
was looking for that on the UFA front and I stumbled upon :

Kariya
Lang
Kozlov

would make a good 4th line / excellent 2nd PP unit... no need to tough it up if we can get a 40% PP rofl!!

more seriously though, there is nothing on the UFA market besides frikkin Artyukin LOL!!
McGrattan might be easily available from Boston
talking about boston, they will have to clear caproom, so a guy like Shawn Thornton might become available? only making 800k.
or we could try to offer a bit to get guys like Carcillo (not doing so well this year) or Clarkson (NJ might want to get rid of his 2.3M contract or just shake things up)
we could call up our own Alex Henry or Jim Bonneau or Conboy
or ****disturber Ryan White

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:09 PM
  #97
ChristosCUP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
DUDE! lol you cant just sit gomez right now...lol thats a complete overhaul of our team.. and were sitting in 3rd..

ChristosCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:38 PM
  #98
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Ideal line-up for Now

Cammy-Plek-Gio
Pouliot-Eller-Andrei K
Moen-Halpern-Darche
White-Lappy-Conboy

Hammer-Spacek
Gill-Gorges
Henry-Subban

Price
Auld
How the heck would that be an ideal line up? Do we want to lose more consistently?

We are 2nd or 3rd in the NHL but we should start benching guys for AHLers...faking priceless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
White will not fight Shelley. But he can drop the gloves against O'Donnell, Richards, Hartnell.

Against the Flyers Henry would be more effective than Picard. I have nothing against Picard but that's the reality.
I'm not a Picard fan, but adding a slower guy against Phillie would be a big step backwards. They are possibly the fastest team in the NHL, so taht would be a dumb move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
We have many other guys that can play the PK. I'm sure White could do it. And he'smore gritty than Pyatt.

I don't think Pyatt is necessary at this point.
Why sit Pyatt who's helping us have a great PK for a guy that will throw 3-4 more hits in a game?


Last edited by habsprospects: 11-17-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:39 PM
  #99
alexstream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,396
vCash: 500
I'm terribly disappointed in Moen on that front though.

We don't pay him 1.5M to score goals.

I love the guy, he plays good, etc... but Halpern is more than 50% $ for the same job, same with Pyatt, etc.
I thought Moen would be more of an Ass.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:43 PM
  #100
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Every team has guys like that, we have Lapierre. Do you think the Flyers board are pondering callups to "shut up" Lapierre and Subban? Phillie is a greasy team, having 4 goons dressed won't prevent them from doing that. Do you honestly think that little Pow will fight Henry who's 6'5" 230lbs?
Are you seriously comparing Lapierre and Subban to Powe, Carcillo, Richards etc? The flyers arent calling anyone up to stop Lapierre because the guys is all mouth. Big deal they will headshot Pleks in the corner next shift or maybe run Cammalleri, it's not like we have anyone that plays with that edge and we certainly don't have anyone willing & able to fight with them. Lapierres fight was pathetic, might aswell left his hands in his pockets.

Is Henry gonna take someones head off or is he just another lumbering heavy weight who wont grab someone smaller like Richards and take him to town? We don't need some lame staged fight with another plug we need to show that liberties will not be taken BEFORE we lose someone important. When we recieve a headshot the other team should know they will recieve one aswell.

We don't need a goon we need a talented player who is tough and willing to play on the edge.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.