HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

-2010 Subway Series-

Old
11-10-2010, 11:42 PM
SDig14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
This Russian team continues to impress me, I can't wait to see them against the OHL and WHL.

Couturier, wow he's so big and strong, I want this kid in an Oilers Jersey.
I was watching the PIT/BOS game, did Kitsyn play well again or did he pull a disappearing act?

Also, I assume it was 2 different goalies tonight? No Roy? I remember he only got 30 mins last year out of 2 games, so assume it's the same this year...

Furthermore, can anyone give me a really quick Couturier recap? strengths?

SDig14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
I was watching the PIT/BOS game, did Kitsyn play well again or did he pull a disappearing act?

Also, I assume it was 2 different goalies tonight? No Roy? I remember he only got 30 mins last year out of 2 games, so assume it's the same this year...

Furthermore, can anyone give me a really quick Couturier recap? strengths?
I'd be lying if I said I was watching closely, but Courturier is just everything you want. He's big, strong, fast and very skilled, to steal a line from Bugg, he's a 5 tool player.

Kitsyn did seem to be a bit less noticeable, but I wonder if he was even dressed. Not a shot at him, I just wonder if they are rotating because it's a long series. The Russian are quick, skilled and play very hard. They are fun to watch, their kids really have passion.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 12:08 AM
SDig14

Quote:
I'd be lying if I said I was watching closely, but Courturier is just everything you want. He's big, strong, fast and very skilled, to steal a line from Bugg, he's a 5 tool player.

Kitsyn did seem to be a bit less noticeable, but I wonder if he was even dressed. Not a shot at him, I just wonder if they are rotating because it's a long series. The Russian are quick, skilled and play very hard. They are fun to watch, their kids really have passion.
I watched a bit last night, but couldn't really tell because I caught a lot of PP time, but what is Couturier's skating like? I have heard that is maybe his only weakness, that his skating is not bad, but not amazing either...something similar to Eberle? Tavares? Quick, but not blazing fast?

Old
11-11-2010, 12:11 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
I watched a bit last night, but couldn't really tell because I caught a lot of PP time, but what is Couturier's skating like? I have heard that is maybe his only weakness, that his skating is not bad, but not amazing either...something similar to Eberle? Tavares? Quick, but not blazing fast?
Yeah he doesn't have Hall speed, but his skating is actually pretty effortless. It's one of those long strides.

Old
11-11-2010, 12:23 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Yeah he doesn't have Hall speed, but his skating is actually pretty effortless. It's one of those long strides.
Thornton? Vinny? Less-skilled Malkin?

Old
11-11-2010, 12:33 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
He's a lot closer in style to Thornton than Lecavalier or Malkin. He's not the skater Vinny is, nor is he as good with the puck.

I know you don't draft for need, but he's everything this team doesn't have. He's a big body who's going to set up shop in front of the net on the powerplay. He's a terrific faceoff man, he doesn't have to have the puck on his stick to be effective, and he's always in good position. He's kind of a Dustin Penner+ who plays center, and like Penner, he'll never be confused for Pavel Bure.

The Russians pretty much had two guys on him all night, and he still managed to do pretty well.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 12:42 AM
misfit

Quote:
Tavares is the guy I wanted to compare his skating to, but I think Tavares gets off the blocks a little better. Eberle's first few strides are better as well. Couturier has a pretty good stride, but it's the quickness that's the problem.

Old
11-11-2010, 12:43 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
He's a lot closer in style to Thornton than Lecavalier or Malkin. He's not the skater Vinny is, nor is he as good with the puck.

I know you don't draft for need, but he's everything this team doesn't have. He's a big body who's going to set up shop in front of the net on the powerplay. He's a terrific faceoff man, he doesn't have to have the puck on his stick to be effective, and he's always in good position. He's kind of a Dustin Penner+ who plays center, and like Penner, he'll never be confused for Pavel Bure.

The Russians pretty much had two guys on him all night, and he still managed to do pretty well.
Ya just from the 5 shifts I watched from him last night I think I saw as much energy than I have from Penner all year lol...I would be fine if he was a Thornton-lite or a centre penner as long as he plays hard like he did last night, cuz he seemed to win lots of battles and was always pursuing the puck, never giving up

The more I think about things, I think I am leaning towards Couturier if we pick #1 again...so much harder to acquire a 1C once you are ready to contend as opposed to dealing for a big d-man or ufa signing

Also, just takes SO long for a d-man to develop...guys like Doughty are a rare mold, who can step right in and contribute at a high level at 19 years old

Old
11-11-2010, 12:45 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:

Penner + is selling the kid short, he's better then that. He's a legit #1C prospect.

Old
11-11-2010, 01:04 AM
misfit

Quote:
Penner + is selling the kid short, he's better then that. He's a legit #1C prospect.
It was more a comparison of style and how he'd be used on this team than anything. I may be overrating Penner if anything, but Dustin is still a 1st line player, and a better version of him at center would be a #1C in my books. Maybe I should've used 2 +s, but I've always struggled with my hockey player time tables.

If I had the first pick in the draft, I'd take Couturier. That said, he's not Joe Thornton either.

Old
11-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
It was more a comparison of style and how he'd be used on this team than anything. I may be overrating Penner if anything, but Dustin is still a 1st line player, and a better version of him at center would be a #1C in my books. Maybe I should've used 2 +s, but I've always struggled with my hockey player time tables.

If I had the first pick in the draft, I'd take Couturier. That said, he's not Joe Thornton either.
No he's not, but he's easily a better all-around player at the same age.

Old
11-11-2010, 01:22 AM
misfit

Quote:
No he's not, but he's easily a better all-around player at the same age.
I don't even know how you can say he's better, nevermind "easily".

Old
11-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

You guys must not have watched very closely or a lot of the game. Number 13 from Russia was a threat constantly. Created and jumped on multiple scoring chances. His puck movement, shot, passes and vision were fluid all game. #10 and 29 from Russia were equally as dangerous. 10 looked extremely fast and skilled out there. I believe his name was Kalinin. Looked like a young Afinogenov of sorts. Really impressed by his offensive play. He even showed great defensive strengths in picking Couturier's pocket and almost scoring on an end to end rush that he transitioned from it.

Aubry(14) from the Q was pleasant to watch. Really good on the draw. It was quite amusing when the linesman had to physically push him back because he was cheating in behind him on the draw. He had his leg pressed right up against the back of the linesmens. Like one half of a slough foot. He got adjusted and still won the draw cleanly. Played a real physical game and extremely well defensively. As good as Couturier if not better... Still looks a bit lanky and awkward though. Hasn't quite adjusted to his body. Skating seemed a little bit off edge. Reminded me a lot of Martindale. Couturier was dominant in all facets.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Martindale will be competing in his first and only game in the Subway Series. It's on Sportsnet One at 5:00PM MT. Half an hour before the Oil.

Old
11-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Martindale just posted his first assist on a give 'n go in the neutral that led to a two on one and a goal.

Old
11-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

OHL and Russia are playing on Sportsnet W. Russian tending star Bobkov is starting again. Top prospects Murphy and Strome are suited for the O.

Old
11-15-2010, 09:26 PM
tv14

Team WHL named captains and assistants today. Both Hamilton and Schaber will be wearing an 'A' in the 5th game of the series (first WHL game).

tv14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 03:11 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

OHL with the 2-1 win via Shootout. Kitsyn had a dirty dangle and flaunted it to the crowd with a little jig after the goal in response to the crowds pre-shot booing. He spoke to soon though. Hometown player and Sabres draft pick Foligno has what I believed to be the best all around performance for any OHL player. He was physical, an offensive threat and added a SO goal along with Hishon to seal it for the OHL. Bobkov was stellar and Anderson has done nothing but impress me since the Young Stars tourney. Kassian showed a lot of offensive prowess tonight as well. He is a big body with a suprising amount of skill and stickhandling. Looks like a shoe-in the show for next year. Could fit a top six or bottom six role easily. Consider him a Penner with edge and grit. Who knows, he could end up in the A but I believe he'll be a standout at camp and in pre-season next fall.

Strome didn't see much PP time unfortunately. Nor a SO shot. But he set up a lot of scoring opportunities all night. Very creative on the draw. Looked a lot bigger than I thought he was. Showed his physical side with a solid sandwich in the first and consistent checks finished. He will be an all around stud once he develops. Not too sure about his defence but his offense and hockey skill is elite.

Their is a re-run of the the game tonight on TSN2 for anyone interested...

WHL plays Wednesday. Both Schaber and Hamilton will be making their sole appearances in that game. Oil Kings Mark Pysyk will play. Interesting prospect Ryan Murray will also play. I'm not certain but he is if not the only one players that aren't draft eligible until 2012. His birthdate misses the deadline of September 10 by 17 days. Game takes place at 6:00PM CT.

Old
11-16-2010, 04:15 AM
puckfan13

Couldn't catch the Q games unfortunately, how does Eric Staal sound as a comp for Couturier, I always liked that one.

Excited to hear Hamilton got an A. Obviously HC has him on their radar and maybe Kevin Prendargast has an inkling of familiarity with him from before his departure. He'd probably be slotted in a bottom 6 spot but maybe he can explode a little more before selection camp even and play a role like Brett Sonne or Jamie Benn did in 2009.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 04:28 AM
ThePresent83

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Couldn't catch the Q games unfortunately, how does Eric Staal sound as a comp for Couturier, I always liked that one.

Excited to hear Hamilton got an A. Obviously HC has him on their radar and maybe Kevin Prendargast has an inkling of familiarity with him from before his departure. He'd probably be slotted in a bottom 6 spot but maybe he can explode a little more before selection camp even and play a role like Brett Sonne or Jamie Benn did in 2009.
He doesnt have the natural goal scoring talent that Eric Staal has... alot more people compare him to Jordan Staal.

ThePresent83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 04:33 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post

I think Bruce Hamilton and Stu Mac are pretty good buds. He's a Mac type of player. Can't see Prendregast having anything to do with this selection.

I think Couturier's two-way game and physical nature remind me more of Jordan Staal. Despite the difference in production at their stage. If I were to make a comparison offensively I would suggest Thornton because of his positonal play, great vision, passing and his knack for collecting rebounds. He certainly doesn't quit on the play and makes an effort in all zones. His skating isn't fast but he shows a strong stride, quick stick and high hockey IQ that make this skill less debilitating as it could suggest.

Old
11-16-2010, 04:47 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
I think Bruce Hamilton and Stu Mac are pretty good buds. He's a Mac type of player. Can't see Prendregast having anything to do with this selection.

I think Couturier's two-way game and physical nature remind me more of Jordan Staal. Despite the difference in production at their stage. If I were to make a comparison offensively I would suggest Thornton because of his positonal play, great vision, passing and his knack for collecting rebounds. He certainly doesn't quit on the play and makes an effort in all zones. His skating isn't fast but he shows a strong stride, quick stick and high hockey IQ that make this skill less debilitating as it could suggest.
Sounds exciting, having him feeding Hall in the not too distant future would be awesome.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Just a reminder for anyone interested. The WHL game featuring Oil prospect Curtis Hamilton and tryout Chase Schaber will be on Sportsnet at 6:00PM CT.

Old
11-18-2010, 05:27 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Hamilton had a solid two point performance in a 7-6 loss via shootout tonight. I actually thought he got a second assist on the Weal goal. He backchecked initially to cover for a changing d-man and intercepted the puck and entered the zone with a smooth pass. Looked to deflect the shot that ended up squeaking through Garipov and getting poked home by Weal. Showed a good nose around the net and tremendous all around awareness. He really exemplified his strong two way play and high hockey IQ. He was a big body out there constantly finishing checks, playing strong positionally, anticipating plays and making great passes and first touches all game. Really impressed overall but mostly impressed by his hockey sense and conscious effort in all areas. Responsible. I think he will be a perfect for the WJC team. He'll bring a high energy leadership role. He was calling plays like a QB tonight. Directing teammates verbally and through hand signals in the defensive zone and constantly supporting plays. He will be a solid two-way NHL player in the near future.

Stefan Elliot had a very strong showing. Ripped a beauty, top cheddar shortside in the first. Sounded like the shot hit a pane when it actually hit the back bar on a pin point release from the top of the circle. Carried the puck a lot and influenced a ton of puck movement with outlets and taking the onus upon himself to take it up ice. Looked good and consistent defensively too. Really digging his play.

From Russia Kitsyn showed his elite offensive ability again. As well as Kalinin who I noticed in another game and commented on his fast and elusive playing style.

RNH didn't do anything to impress me further. Although he did little things neatly. Deflecting pucks and making seemingly non opportune plays dangerous scoring chances. Models his own play after Datsyuk. Great model but lacked to make a real impact despite the flair he showed briefly with his flashy speed and hands. Lots of promise and potential though. Quick, agile and thinks the game at the next level. Not sold on him as a top two selection though. Very High potential.

Last edited by Grod: 11-18-2010 at 07:46 AM.