HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#20: Lightning @ Flyers - Thursday, Nov. 18, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Yeah, really, I'd take Meszaros every day of the week at this point over Carle. I never understood the love Carle got.
Carle is a good d-man, took his lumps when he came to Philly but has shown he belongs. Meszaros and he are pretty much equal players, Meszaros just makes more money.

Old
11-18-2010, 11:28 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Meszaros and Carle are not equals. Meszaros is way more well rounded. He is physical, has a great shot and is a real 2 way D man. Only thing Carle does better than Meszaros is passing

Old
11-18-2010, 11:32 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Do you mean the trade which brought him to Philly? I am sure they still could have made a deal to get him. It was Eminger(toss away), Downie(prospect), and a 2009 4th rounder for Carle(unwanted in TB, and a cap hit) and a 2009 3rd rounder(Bertilsson). I am sure that a similar deal could have been made to satisfy both teams at the time.
Yeah, I mean we could have still gotten Mesz down the line, it would be Carle that we wouldn't get if we kept our 1st in the first place and kept Downie. I think Tampa had their sights set on Downie. TB had just traded Boyle for Carle a few months earlier, and it was very early in the season when that trade went down. I don't think they were feeling the pressure of his cap hit yet.

Old
11-18-2010, 11:41 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Meszaros and Carle are not equals. Meszaros is way more well rounded. He is physical, has a great shot and is a real 2 way D man. Only thing Carle does better than Meszaros is passing
Beat me too it. Nice post, Hov.

Old
11-18-2010, 11:48 AM
fully spectrumed

Ritola suspended 2 games for hit last night.

Old
11-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Jtown

Philly.com is reporting that BOB is in net for tonight

Old
11-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Garbage Goal

Laviolette better be planning on playing Leighton once he comes back because this is starting to get ****ing ridiculous. Even ignoring the fact that he’s a rookie with only a couple professional seasons to his name, neither of which were in the NHL, and a career high of 35ish games played, goalies that have played heavy work-loads in the regular season the last few years have appeared tired come playoff time. Just look at last year if you want. Playing any goalie around 70 games is never a good idea, let alone a rookie. Probably worth mentioning that Boosh will be as cold as ice the next time he plays and he’ll probably get crucified for it despite it not being his fault.

Old
11-18-2010, 11:59 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Quick is a good example from last year. He was burnt out in the playoffs
or maybe he played like a goalie in his first playoff

Old
11-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Yeah, really, I'd take Meszaros every day of the week at this point over Carle. I never understood the love Carle got.
Carle is a competent defenseman but it's only Pronger that makes him a first pairing kinda guy.

Old
11-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Meszaros and Carle are equals, Carle does not have the size as Meszaros. Meszaros has shown more than I expected but he and Carle are equal players on defense.

Old
11-18-2010, 12:11 PM
jb**

Quote:
The team is playin well and you may not want to change things. Mezaros at some point though needs to be moved up to see if he can handle the load and pressure. This way you know what you have if you decide to move another dman down the line. He has it made now on the bottom pairing with little pressure and facing lesser players. Carle has at least shown he can handle the role he is in currently.

Old
11-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Laviolette better be planning on playing Leighton once he comes back because this is starting to get ****ing ridiculous. Even ignoring the fact that he’s a rookie with only a couple professional seasons to his name, neither of which were in the NHL, and a career high of 35ish games played, goalies that have played heavy work-loads in the regular season the last few years have appeared tired come playoff time. Just look at last year if you want. Playing any goalie around 70 games is never a good idea, let alone a rookie. Probably worth mentioning that Boosh will be as cold as ice the next time he plays and he’ll probably get crucified for it despite it not being his fault.
Laviolette is not going to play Bobrovsky 70 games, but points in Nov are just as important as in April so it is important to give these guys the best chance to win. Once Leighton comes back you will see more starts being split. At this point it is a lack of confidence in Boucher over an overconfidence in Bobrovsky.

Old
11-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Meszaros and Carle are equals, Carle does not have the size as Meszaros. Meszaros has shown more than I expected but he and Carle are equal players on defense.
Defensively speaking, Carle is more inconsistent. Anyways, they're not the same players at all. They are both, what I would describe as, second pairing d-men though.

Old
11-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Laviolette is not going to play Bobrovsky 70 games, but points in Nov are just as important as in April so it is important to give these guys the best chance to win. Once Leighton comes back you will see more starts being split. At this point it is a lack of confidence in Boucher over an overconfidence in Bobrovsky.
I know he won't get played 70 games (or at least I hope not), but I was making a point.

We're a playoff team short of everyone on our team having a deteriorating hip bone disease. We can afford to have our backup play a game every once in while. That's why he's there.

Old
11-18-2010, 12:19 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 691
An update on Tampa Bay's lineup:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...ension/1135034

Quote:
Tampa Bay Lightning left wing Mattias Ritola was suspended two games by the NHL for his hit Wednesday on the Islanders' Matt Moulson.

Ritola left his feet to check Moulson from behind into the side boards at Nassau Coliseum and elbowed Moulson in the back of the head.

Also, defenseman Matt Roy and center James Wright were recalled from AHL Norfolk. Roy likely was called up because of an injury to defenseman Victor Hedman, who missed the first six-plus minutes of Wednesday's second period with an upper body injury.

Old
11-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Garbage Goal

...So they're going to be missing Lecavalier, Gagne, Ritola, and Hedman? If we don't win this then wow.

Old
11-18-2010, 12:30 PM
MrHockey1982

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...g_tonight.html

Bob in net.

Old
11-18-2010, 12:37 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

The same scheduling this year and last year allows teams to go with their starter as often as they wish early in the season. Last season I didn't have a problem using Emery most nights early because he had suitable rest... often due to the bizarre stretches of days off the Flyers had in the first couple of months.

This season isn't nearly as bizarre, but it's been a comfortable enough schedule that Bobrovsky can play nearly every game. The schedule tightens up again as we get closer to the end of November... a lot of 3 games in 4 nights and/or 4 games in 6 nights for the rest of the season. He certainly won't be able to start all the games in those stretches.

Out of necessity, Boucher or Leighton will be getting regular starts. For the meantime, I might go with Bobrovsky until the Calgary game (which is 4 more starts, including tonight) before I give him a rest.

Old
11-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Defensively speaking, Carle is more inconsistent. Anyways, they're not the same players at all. They are both, what I would describe as, second pairing d-men though.
What has Meszaros been over the last two years? Kid has been horrible. They are equal players with some different skillsets.

Old
11-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
I know he won't get played 70 games (or at least I hope not), but I was making a point.

We're a playoff team short of everyone on our team having a deteriorating hip bone disease. We can afford to have our backup play a game every once in while. That's why he's there.
I get you, but I really think that Laviolette does not have ANY confidence in Boucher and most likely will give a majority of the starts to Bobrovsky. I am OK with that, once Leighton is back Bobrovsky will get some split games and then carry the load down the stretch.

Old
11-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
What has Meszaros been over the last two years? Kid has been horrible. They are equal players with some different skillsets.
So we're not talking about how they're playing now, with us?

Old
11-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Lavi knows what he is doing. Good decision imo.

Old
11-18-2010, 01:05 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
He was also forced to be a top-pair d-man, something he's not, on a terrible defense for the last two years.

Old
11-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
He was also forced to be a top-pair d-man, something he's not, on a terrible defense for the last two years.
with out real head coach or managment.

I am very impressed with Mesz.. I thought he was a much softer player. Against Habs he registered 8-9 hits a game before 4 hits. I am impressed.

Old
11-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Garbage Goal

I didn't really know all that much about Mez over the off-season so I wasn't a fan of the trade, but now that I've seen him play and know his game I don't think it's nearly as bad.

He's pretty good in terms of two-way play. Hard, accurate shot, decent puck-moving ability, a big body, and smart defensively. He just doesn't seem like the kind of guy that can anchor a top pairing though or possibly even a second pairing. That's what I'm guessing his biggest problem in Tampa was, being relied upon too much. The better coaching and management (until this season I guess now that they have Boucher and Yzerman) probably helps too.

Meszaros I could possibly see anchoring a second pairing. Carle, I cannot. That, along with Meszaros' better two-way play, makes Meszaros superior to Carle in my eyes. For now at least. Still relatively early in the season.

Closed Thread