Old
11-18-2010, 12:07 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

vCash: 500
Falk Re-assigned to Houston

Quote:
Russostrib Michael Russo
#mnwild has assigned D Justin Falk to AHL Houston, says sources. Scandella sticks, Stoner sticks. - for now
Sort of shocked...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's surprising. I sure hope this doesn't bite us in the ass like it did with Sheppard and Gillies.

Falk looked good to me, Scandella did look better. Barker and Stoner are worse than Falk though.

Guess we're in desperation / win-now mode.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:15 PM
mnwildgophers

I sort of feel bad for Falk, he had a great camp and good start to the year, and now he finds himself back in Houston after Fletcher told him he could find a place here.

Well, I guess that's the business though. He will be back up here again I'm sure, but Scandella has been playing great, and if he struggles, there's always the option to send him down. We will have that option for this whole year and next for Scandella, so it's quite a bit different than Sheppard.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Sorry, not sure how it actually works, does Falk have to pass through waivers?

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Guess this mean's Stoner will be he routing healthy scratch. No way does Barker or Scandella sit. I suppose it's better to have Falk playing lots of minutes in Houston though, and he's on a 2-way.

Falk won't have to go through waivers.

Old
11-18-2010, 12:23 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Fletcher told him he could find a place here.
This.

That is why I am shocked. Wasn't it just a couple of weeks ago when Falk was told to find a place? Hmmm. Way to build a reputation, Mr. Fletcher...

Old
11-18-2010, 12:23 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Sorry, not sure how it actually works, does Falk have to pass through waivers?
No. He doesn't meet the criteria.

Old
11-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
This.

That is why I am shocked. Wasn't it just a couple of weeks ago when Falk was told to find a place? Hmmm. Way to build a reputation, Mr. Fletcher...
I'm sure Fletcher isn't the first GM to do this, and Falk isn't the first player that this has happened to, and neither of them will be the last. It's unfortunate, but who knows? Maybe it'll just be for a week while Fletcher finds a trading partner for Barker

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:41 PM
nickschultzfan

If Falk doesn't have to go through waivers, that was the reason he was sent down.

If he does have to go through waivers, this is a horrible, horrible decision. Falk has played great and should be part of this blueline for years to come.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:42 PM
nickschultzfan

I also just don't like this decision.

I want Scandella to continue to develop an offensive game. He could probably do that better in Houston.

Old
11-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Jbcraig1883

I am a little bit surprised as well. I know he had a few rough games recently but he was arguably the most consistent d-man the first few weeks. He is still plenty young but after having such a good camp and playing very well overall for a rookie, I am surprised that a few bad games did the trick.

I get the business part. I understand that they aren't going to sit Barker. I understand that they will keep Scandella due to his play.

I don't get keeping Stoner. Yes, he requires waivers and is on a one-way. But, Falk came into camp in shape, ready to play, worked his butt off and has outplayed Stoner easily. Falk has shown he has the mobility and physicality to play in the NHL. But, he is young and will go through growing pains. I'd rather Falk be rewarded for a few months of hard work and go through those growing pains here.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Dr Jan Itor

But how would he be rewarded? All Stoner is going to do is get scratched every game. I don't want Scandella or Falk sitting and watching, so if Scandella is going to be up here, I'd rather have Falk down in Houston and playing. I just hope the disappointment of getting sent down doesn't change his attitude or hurt his confidence.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:58 PM
BuddyMcCormick

I am neither shocked nor appalled by this. They gave him a taste of the big leagues. He's struggled as of late, why not send him down to the minors to give him some time to regain his confidence and work on things he may need to improve on.

None on us know what was said behind closed doors either.

I am disappointed that I won't be able to hear "Big Justin Falk" anymore. /rollseyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
But how would he be rewarded? All Stoner is going to do is get scratched every game. I don't want Scandella or Falk sitting and watching, so if Scandella is going to be up here, I'd rather have Falk down in Houston and playing. I just hope the disappointment of getting sent down doesn't change his attitude or hurt his confidence.
I think he meant Falk was rewarded by being called up to the Big's

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:59 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
This.

Per Russo
Quote:
As far as #mnwild telling Falk to get a pad, that's #nhl rule (28 days in hotel)

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd rather have Falk and Scandella playing and Stoner sitting. Sounds like we might see these two go up and down a bit this year.

Old
11-18-2010, 01:08 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
I don't get keeping Stoner. Yes, he requires waivers and is on a one-way. But, Falk came into camp in shape, ready to play, worked his butt off and has outplayed Stoner easily. Falk has shown he has the mobility and physicality to play in the NHL. But, he is young and will go through growing pains. I'd rather Falk be rewarded for a few months of hard work and go through those growing pains here.
We are keeping Stoner because he is a league-minimum #7 Dman on a one-way contract, who has maxed out his development in Houston and he's actually been decent after a rough start.

That's kind of exactly the type of guy you want as a #7. A guy who can step in for injuries and who doesn't hurt the team when he's sitting in the pressbox.

Old
11-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
You are right.

I responded before actually thinking rationally about the situation. He will be back up before the end of the season. And, as many of you have mentioned, it's better for him to play in Houston than sit here.

I have a soft spot for Falk...never rated high, played two years in the AHL that weren't all that eye-popping, then comes into camp and plays quite well for the first month of the season. But, he will be back. He and Scandella will be some big mobile defenseman for the Wild future.

Last edited by Jbcraig1883: 11-18-2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: first response knee-jerk emotional response
Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:15 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i kinda thought this might happen when i posted my caution to not start bowing down to Scandella...i kinda feared that richards would react much the same way. oh well...i guess it could just as easily turn out for the better.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:16 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
We are keeping Stoner because he is a league-minimum #7 Dman on a one-way contract, who has maxed out his development in Houston and he's actually been decent after a rough start.

That's kind of exactly the type of guy you want as a #7. A guy who can step in for injuries and who doesn't hurt the team when he's sitting in the pressbox.
totally agree.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:23 PM
nickschultzfan

Russo said Falk and Scandella might swap again soon. This was probably just rewarding Scandella.

Old
11-18-2010, 05:26 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

A little surprised but not really. Both don't require waivers and Scandella's playing better. We're also talking about third-pairing defensemen, which in all fairness to what they can or will become, are pretty interchangeable.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 06:31 PM
saywut

Scandella's the better d-man. Yeah, its tough to send Falk down when he's arguably better than Barker/Stoner, but like Russo says, Falk has a 2-way and doesn't need waivers, so it makes the choice obvious. You don't want to bring up a first-year pro for 3 games anyways, so its nice to see Scandella stick. Its up to him to continue playing well enough to keep Falk in Houston.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 06:46 PM
State of Hockey

Stoner's contract, irresponsibly handed to him, bails him out. The guys that should be sitting (Stoner and Barker) aren't simply because of their contracts.

Hope you didn't find a good place yet, Justin.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 06:52 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I think you mean that they are staying with the big club because of their contracts because they can have popcorn duties (and have had them) regardless of the money being made.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 07:05 PM
saywut

I'd be fine with Falk eating popcorn in the pressbox, but at the same time he can go down and get game action affecting nothing. Stoner's contract doesn't really bother me because ideally you want your #7 making 600k or less, and be just a fringe-NHLer so you have cap to spend elsewhere. Barker's the problem. It seems like every 3rd post I make on this board goes back to that fact. I've defended alot of players between here and the WMB of old, but I can't defend Barker. He's that disappointing.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote