HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Inline/Roller Hockey Thread

Old
11-17-2010, 10:45 AM
WickedWrister

vCash: 500
The Inline/Roller Hockey Thread

I've been browsing this forum for a while and I've always felt that we needed an Inline/Roller Hockey thread. I guess the purpose of this thread will be to discuss any and all things Roller Hockey, because we all know which sport is better

Anyway, I'll guess I'll start it off.

I play at a semi-competitive level of roller hockey (Local college league, B level house league). I've never used any type of girdle, elbow pads, or cup. My teammates think I'm crazy, but I don't like the extra weight or padding as I feel it restricts my skating. Tell me, am I flirting with disaster here? And if so, what are some cheap, light, inline girdles that I can purchase.

Mods:If you feel this threads not necessary, please remove.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:57 AM
**** Farise

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
I've been browsing this forum for a while and I've always felt that we needed an Inline/Roller Hockey thread. I guess the purpose of this thread will be to discuss any and all things Roller Hockey, because we all know which sport is better

Anyway, I'll guess I'll start it off.

I play at a semi-competitive level of roller hockey (Local college league, B level house league). I've never used any type of girdle, elbow pads, or cup. My teammates think I'm crazy, but I don't like the extra weight or padding as I feel it restricts my skating. Tell me, am I flirting with disaster here? And if so, what are some cheap, light, inline girdles that I can purchase.
To hell with girdle and elbow pads...always felt those were for people who didn't know how to take a fall...and older guys haha. But no cup? Yea I'd say that's certainly flirting with disaster.

I used to just use the plastic mylec street hockey shin guards when I played club roller hockey...then I tore a few ligaments in my knee and decided I'd better protect it after the reconstruction haha. Played with a guy who just used soccer shin guards...he was nuts haha.

I bruised my ribs at one point this past season, and had to wear a chest protector for one game...felt like a real ****** in that one haha.

**** Farise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Black Label

I played with a guy that was too cool to wear any padding at all. He took a shot to the groin and ruptured a testicle. At least wear a cup.

Black Label is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:12 PM
FiveHole23

I play in a roller league here in Columbus. I play in the middle league but its called "D" league. Been playing for 3 years (I am 24) I love it. To busy to take on another night right now but I do want to try ice.

I am surprised your league let's you play without elbow pads they are required in our league. I could be wrong but elbow pads arnt just there to protect you but to protect other players as well.

I wear a roller girdle(cup built in), shins, elbows, full cage. I wear all of because I pay to play not making money if I score another goal so I wear the stuff and be safe. My hips and elbows will thank me later in life. Oh and you are crazy to not wear a cup.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:24 PM
FiveAndAGame

I always wear a cup during games. Other then that, the only protection I have is my helmet+cage, gloves, and shin pads. My league is pretty relaxed when it comes to what you can and can't wear. If you want to wear nothing, then you only have yourself to blame if/when you get hurt. But you are definitely crazy for not wearing a cup. I saw a guy on my brothers team take a one-timer right to the groin(he was wearing a cup, otherwise he would've been missing some important parts...)

Does anyone here follow any pro roller hockey leagues?

FiveAndAGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:34 PM
FiveHole23

And to answer your question the inline girdle I wear is the mission thorax. Its great lightweight and can slam into the boards or fall on the concreate and hardly feel a thing. Its more lightweight than it looks on hockeymonkey

Old
11-17-2010, 01:55 PM
**** Farise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
I am surprised your league let's you play without elbow pads they are required in our league. I could be wrong but elbow pads arnt just there to protect you but to protect other players as well.
My league has them as 'mandatory' but it's not something that gets checked often. And I'm a fairly built guy so it makes it pretty easy to get away with. In 1.5 years at that specific league I've only been thrown off and told to put on elbow pads once. And that was cuz I almost had a collision with a ref and he put his hand out to brace the impact, and felt my pad-less elbow. I'd imagine getting elbowed with a hard-capped elbow pad is worse than getting a regular elbow.

Old
11-17-2010, 02:18 PM
dick341

i was the same way a couple of years ago. i only wore a helmet, shins, and gloves, but then i found a nice set of elbow pads that didn't restrict movement and a cup that fit. Now i don't play so timid anymore. I still can't stand wearing a girdle because it feels too restrictive.

FiveAndAGame Re: Does anyone here follow any pro roller hockey leagues?

Are you talking about A NARCh or A MLRH type league?

dick341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:48 PM
WickedWrister

So you are saying I should look for a girdle that has a cup built in or something? You guys are scaring me about the whole cup thing. I've got a game tomorrow, I'll probably go out and buy one tonight .

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty naked out there. Helmet with no cage or visor, really light shin pads, and gloves. That's it.

Anyway, enough about me and my groin. How are your leagues set up? We do 4v4 on an NHL sized rink w/ no offsides or icing. Roller puck.

Oh, and Itan Chavira is God!

Old
11-17-2010, 02:55 PM
BlackDog13

You need to protect your most important pieces of equipment...your head and your Johnson. Get a cup!!!

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:09 PM
dick341

Quote:
So you are saying I should look for a girdle that has a cup built in or something? You guys are scaring me about the whole cup thing. I've got a game tomorrow, I'll probably go out and buy one tonight .

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty naked out there. Helmet with no cage or visor, really light shin pads, and gloves. That's it.

Anyway, enough about me and my groin. How are your leagues set up? We do 4v4 on an NHL sized rink w/ no offsides or icing. Roller puck.

Oh, and Itan Chavira is God!
Yeah just go get mesh short jock.

FYI Gerry O is better

Old
11-17-2010, 04:08 PM
FiveHole23

Our league is 4 on 4 no offsides or icing 2x24 minutes. And a 3 goal player cap rule, goalies arnt required to wear skates but most do. I think that's about it that is out of the ordinary.

We play in a old warehouse converted to a rink with boards and all. Also there is a quarter rink of synthentic ice there where some training goes on. Can see pictures at http://www.columbusrollerhockey.com

Old
11-17-2010, 07:39 PM
FiveAndAGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick341 View Post
Are you talking about A NARCh or A MLRH type league?

NARCh, PIHA, any of those big ones. I come from Long Island, so roller hockey is huge out here.

As for format, 5v5 with a puck, no icing, and no neutral zone(unfortunately the rink that I play at the most is VERY small, and has no neutral zone. Makes games much more interesting.) 3 periods, 15 minutes each.

And yeah, Itan Chavira is pretty sweet... the kid has out of this world skill.

FiveAndAGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:44 PM
dick341

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveAndAGame View Post
NARCh, PIHA, any of those big ones. I come from Long Island, so roller hockey is huge out here.

As for format, 5v5 with a puck, no icing, and no neutral zone(unfortunately the rink that I play at the most is VERY small, and has no neutral zone. Makes games much more interesting.) 3 periods, 15 minutes each.

And yeah, Itan Chavira is pretty sweet... the kid has out of this world skill.
I play at the same rink as the Cyclones so I do follow those guys closely.

We play 4v4 no offsides, no icing with three 15 minute periods in our A division. All of the other divisions play offside icing here.

Old
11-17-2010, 11:00 PM
quesosauce

i scored my first ever hat trick tonite in my roller league, also added an assist and scored the shoot out winner!

my first ever hat trick!

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 01:09 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Mission makes this hybrid jock girdle that I really like. It's really light. It has plastic inserts and says Thorax on it. It's saved me from a few blasts.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 07:56 AM
**** Farise

Quote:
Our league is 4 on 4 no offsides or icing 2x24 minutes. And a 3 goal player cap rule, goalies arnt required to wear skates but most do. I think that's about it that is out of the ordinary.

We play in a old warehouse converted to a rink with boards and all. Also there is a quarter rink of synthentic ice there where some training goes on. Can see pictures at http://www.columbusrollerhockey.com
Wait...they don't allow players to score more than 3 goals? Like it won't count towards your teams score if someone puts up a 4th? Or they just don't count it towards their stat-line?

I play in a 4on4 league, no offside no icing, 3x15 running time periods (unless within 2 goals in last 3 mins of 3rd). And you can score all you want...they generally stop putting goals up on the scoreboard if it gets outta hand, but they keep track. Just this season I've had a 7 goal game and a 6 goal game haha.

Old
11-18-2010, 09:22 AM
FiveHole23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPass2Rolston View Post
Wait...they don't allow players to score more than 3 goals? Like it won't count towards your teams score if someone puts up a 4th? Or they just don't count it towards their stat-line?

I play in a 4on4 league, no offside no icing, 3x15 running time periods (unless within 2 goals in last 3 mins of 3rd). And you can score all you want...they generally stop putting goals up on the scoreboard if it gets outta hand, but they keep track. Just this season I've had a 7 goal game and a 6 goal game haha.
Yea no play can score more than 3 goals in one game. It is to keep teams from bringing a ringer. It might sound like a bad rule but it really keeps alot of the games close. Hardly ever are there blow outs.

Old
11-18-2010, 11:27 AM
WickedWrister

Quote:
Yea no play can score more than 3 goals in one game. It is to keep teams from bringing a ringer. It might sound like a bad rule but it really keeps alot of the games close. Hardly ever are there blow outs.
That's a pretty ******** rule IMO. If they want to crack down on ringers, implement a system that forces players to sign in or something.

So if I already have a hat trick, and the games tied, and I'm on a break away, what the hell am I supposed to do?

Old
11-18-2010, 11:36 AM
FiveHole23

Quote:
That's a pretty ******** rule IMO. If they want to crack down on ringers, implement a system that forces players to sign in or something.

So if I already have a hat trick, and the games tied, and I'm on a break away, what the hell am I supposed to do?
Pull up and wait for support lol.

Typical when someone gets 3 goals on your team you move them to defense. The reason this is a rule is because the owner of the rink doesn't take the time to move players that should be in higher leagues out of the lower ones. I know it sounds like a bad rule but in our league is pretty evenly matched and if you scoring 3 goals on a nightly basis you are probably to good for the league.

Old
11-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
I played with that rule once. It was hardly ever actually used though, for example I scored 4-5 goals on several occasions. Nobody really payed attention to it.

As to the OP, I never wear a girdle or elbow pads for the same reason and have never really been hurt. I block shots all the time and drive the net and screen. Been hit so many times, but I find that puck used in inline doesn't hurt at all. At least wear a cup, though.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

I'd say at least the cup. If you don't go down to block many shots and don't get bumped around too much you probably don't need any of the other stuff. My league requires roller pants (or anything that covers your shin guards really), shin guards, elbow pads, gloves, and helmet.

Obviously, that's what I wear (plus a cup). I think that's probably what I'd roll with anyway even if it wasn't required. I drop down to block shots a lot and play in front of the net in the offensive zone so I'd want the little bit extra protection. Elbow pads probably saved me a broken arm last year, took a hard slapper on the bottom part of the pad (closer to your hands) and had a huge welt and trouble moving it for a few days. I'm sure glad I was wearing them cause that would have sucked to take that shot where there is no padding haha

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Randall Ritchey
TFP Correspondent

I play with a girdle with a built in cup so that kills two birds with one stone.
I play defense so I do block shots a bit. So it helps. No elbow pads, chest protectors or anything like that. Just the girdle, shin pads, helmet and gloves. Thats it.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Brizz5

I play in a high school league. It's now in-house because the old high school format fell through after last season. The teams were organized by school, but the schools did not officially "claim" or support the teams. It was more of an unofficial high school league. Now it's players mixed in an in-house format.

We play 5x5 with no-touch icing and offsides. Pretty much an ice hockey game. It's a no-hit league, but they do let alot of contact go. Depends on the ref and severity if there is a call. It's a pretty competitive league, but not ridiculous for a somewhat average player like me.

I don't wear a girdle. I do block alot of shots using my shinguards, but if it's a slapper I try to catch him as he winds into it and slide at the puck. It seems to work effectively without the bruises.

I do wear elbow pads, and you bet a cup.

Brizz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:31 AM
WickedWrister

Bump!

When do I know when my wheels are no longer fit for playing? Indoor wheels, there are some small cracks in the wheel but no chipping yet.

Last edited by WickedWrister: 07-07-2011 at 09:48 AM.