HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What does everyone do for a living?

Old
11-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
Like Degrassi? Oh, how I do love that show, especially when drunk.

"You do have a weird thing for Canadian melodrama."
"I have a weird thing for girls who say aboot."

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:27 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Now I know who to blame.

You Ameros could have benefitted from the relatively conservative lending structure used by Canadian banks. None of the major banks in Canada are/were in danger during the recession.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:24 PM
97FlyersKing18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
what sort of history did you focus on? i focused on medieval/roman

Very cool, I have wanted to take a history of Rome for my European/Mediterranean history prior to A.D. 1500 requirement, but it has not fit into my schedule the past 4 years. I covet that class, I have heard really good things about it, but whenever I have had the option to take it, I had to take an Economics, Accounting or Geography course for my minor.

Rome is one of my favorite cities (went in summer 2007) because there are amazing ruins like the Colosseum, the Forum, and the Pantheon alongside a pretty rowdy night life. I feel it is great to experience the history I read about and have been to Hong Kong, Germany, France, England Italy, Greece and Switzerland. I will be going to Turkey this winter to view mainly Byzantine ruins (thanks for the trip and flier miles Dad haha).

I will get my degree in American History and I have been mostly focused on Post World War II to Desert Storm history, but I am interested in the analysis of the Great Depression and its consequence/causes. I am unsure if I want to continue pursuing History as a professor/researcher, but I am happy with my major decision because I have learned some really interesting trends and done some societal analysis. Currently, I am taking a Senior Seminar course about the October Crisis in Quebec dealing with nationalism and it is a pretty interesting course. Before this course, I had no grasp on Canadian history outside the French and Indian War.

I bet your bookshelf is amazing and stocked with medieval and roman classics and primary/secondary sources.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
Very cool, I have wanted to take a history of Rome for my European/Mediterranean history prior to A.D. 1500 requirement, but it has not fit into my schedule the past 4 years. I covet that class, I have heard really good things about it, but whenever I have had the option to take it, I had to take an Economics, Accounting or Geography course for my minor.

Rome is one of my favorite cities (went in summer 2007) because there are amazing ruins like the Colosseum, the Forum, and the Pantheon alongside a pretty rowdy night life. I feel it is great to experience the history I read about and have been to Hong Kong, Germany, France, England Italy, Greece and Switzerland. I will be going to Turkey this winter to view mainly Byzantine ruins (thanks for the trip and flier miles Dad haha).

I will get my degree in American History and I have been mostly focused on Post World War II to Desert Storm history, but I am interested in the analysis of the Great Depression and its consequence/causes. I am unsure if I want to continue pursuing History as a professor/researcher, but I am happy with my major decision because I have learned some really interesting trends and done some societal analysis. Currently, I am taking a Senior Seminar course about the October Crisis in Quebec dealing with nationalism and it is a pretty interesting course. Before this course, I had no grasp on Canadian history outside the French and Indian War.

I bet your bookshelf is amazing and stocked with medieval and roman classics and primary/secondary sources.
1) If you can, you should take it. It's good to mix things up at least once. I broke my Old Stuff trend by taking two semesters of Civil War, and it was a refreshing change of pace, since I really hadn't touched US since AP. Overall I think my Alexander the Great class was the most badass. That guy was...well, great.

I was also in Rome in summer 2007, from June 21-28. Did you drink the black Fanta? I hope you didn't, that **** tastes like doom. Seeing Rome and other such things gave me such a massive history boner, it might have been seen from space.

2) I have a feeling that GD analysis will look really good in some interviews in today's economic times. Godspeed with that.

As for teaching...good luck. It seems everyone I know who didn't get a menial job out of college or continue to grad school got their teaching degree. Apparently the market is saturated, and they're having trouble getting jobs in places that aren't Grundy or Roanoke County. I know one person who has a grad degree and teaching degree and she works in the damned daycare of a school, watching 3 year olds. There's always TFA, but i strongly recommend against it...they present themselves well, but almost everybody who's doing it will tell you it's a hell on earth.

3) You're right about my book collection. I've got loads of stuff on the Republic, the Principate, and the Dominate onwards to 1453. I've also got tons of stuff on European Diplomacy and history and that sort of thing. As for primary sources, I think I left that stuff at my parent's. I kept my Byzantine and Venetian source books, because there are some pretty amusing things in there. I'm set to inherit a carload of US history books, which is a welcome change. It's nice to read about something different every now and then.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 05:35 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

You Ameros could have benefitted from the relatively conservative lending structure used by Canadian banks. None of the major banks in Canada are/were in danger during the recession.
But then how would the US GDP grow? God knows you can't ask Americans to actually work harder.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Bryz4shiz

I'm a student at UMASS Amherst

Bryz4shiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 08:06 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
Figure this would be the best thread to post in, but anyone know a decent job listing site that is not monster.com? I am graduating in the spring with a major in Sports Management and minors in Business and Communications, but it seems like that site doesn't have much of anything posted.
A lot of sports leagues use this site:

http://www.teamworkonline.com/

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 10:04 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Pretty much thats it. Protons accelerated to 2/3 the speed of light in a cyclotron and then targeted to within a millimeter or so accuracy using giant bending and focusing magnets. As ours comes on line I think there are 8 or so such sites in the country now. Cool stuff. BTW, the contractor you may be thinking of is Belgian.
Is there a setting to accelerate van Riemsdyk? Right now, he's moving at 2/3 the speed of lose.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 10:08 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
I was also in Rome in summer 2007, from June 21-28. Did you drink the black Fanta? I hope you didn't, that **** tastes like doom. Seeing Rome and other such things gave me such a massive history boner, it might have been seen from space.
My wife and I went to Rome for our honeymoon, which was luck on our part, as my company sent me to Florence to cover an AIDS conference, and we combined the two. I know, how romantic! But, anyway, just standing in the Coliseum blew me away. We dare to call 200-year-old buildings in North America part of the old section of our towns. This building beats them by more than a factor of 10!

Old
11-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
My wife and I went to Rome for our honeymoon, which was luck on our part, as my company sent me to Florence to cover an AIDS conference, and we combined the two. I know, how romantic! But, anyway, just standing in the Coliseum blew me away. We dare to call 200-year-old buildings in North America part of the old section of our towns. This building beats them by more than a factor of 10!
ha, yeah. when i was driving back to richmond from the philly airport when i got back, i saw a historic marker in maryland that said "early church." i found that amusing, since that church cant be more than 350 years old...and i had just seen a couple actual early churches that were built sometime around 350 AD.

Old
11-18-2010, 11:58 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
ha, yeah. when i was driving back to richmond from the philly airport when i got back, i saw a historic marker in maryland that said "early church." i found that amusing, since that church cant be more than 350 years old...and i had just seen a couple actual early churches that were built sometime around 350 AD.
I guess one of the few spots to beat Rome would be Egypt. I've never been close, and given the occasions where a busload of tourists are blown away, I'm not in a rush to go, but just to stand at the base of a building that goes way back to the cradle of civilization.

Old
11-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Richyrich

I'm a student in my final undergrad year studying Finance and Marketing

I play cards to supplement my income

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:22 PM
97FlyersKing18

Quote:
1) If you can, you should take it. It's good to mix things up at least once. I broke my Old Stuff trend by taking two semesters of Civil War, and it was a refreshing change of pace, since I really hadn't touched US since AP. Overall I think my Alexander the Great class was the most badass. That guy was...well, great.

2) I have a feeling that GD analysis will look really good in some interviews in today's economic times. Godspeed with that.

As for teaching...good luck. It seems everyone I know who didn't get a menial job out of college or continue to grad school got their teaching degree. Apparently the market is saturated, and they're having trouble getting jobs in places that aren't Grundy or Roanoke County. I know one person who has a grad degree and teaching degree and she works in the damned daycare of a school, watching 3 year olds. There's always TFA, but i strongly recommend against it...they present themselves well, but almost everybody who's doing it will tell you it's a hell on earth.

3) You're right about my book collection. I've got loads of stuff on the Republic, the Principate, and the Dominate onwards to 1453. I've also got tons of stuff on European Diplomacy and history and that sort of thing. As for primary sources, I think I left that stuff at my parent's. I kept my Byzantine and Venetian source books, because there are some pretty amusing things in there. I'm set to inherit a carload of US history books, which is a welcome change. It's nice to read about something different every now and then.
Sorry for getting back to you so late, I had back to back exams and couldn't even watch the Phi vs. TB 8-7 football...er i mean hockey game last night.

That is funny that we were both in Rome at around the same time, I remember being in Greece on July 1 when the Flyers signed Briere and traded for Smith/Lupul and Timonen/Hartnell in some shady internet cafe. I did not try the black fanta, that doesn't even sound good haha.

The GD was a major drop percentage wise of GDP along with credit based speculation, which didn't fully recover until the middle of WWII...unfortunately it can be related to the current economic situation.

Thanks for the wise words on being a teacher. My mother is an elementary teacher, luckily she has tenure at her school, but it is a hard market. Teaching would be rewarding most of the time, but I am not sure I could handle 20-30 new children every single year teaching the same exact lectures.

I am very jealous of your books, I am most interested in primary documents because they were written at the time without full knowledge of other aspects of society. Plus, I like reading books with old deteriorated covers, it must mean the book is important if it has survived all these centuries and got good use during its prime.

Thank you for your book list, I will check them out at the library. I have been pretty much living at the Wisconsin Historical Society over the past few months doing research and what-not, so I should be able to find your top cuts.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

If you really want a good Rome fix, read "Cicero," "Augustus," and "Hadrian." They're by the same author, and do a good job covering three different periods of the Empire. John Norwich has an epic trilogy of Byzantine/late Roman history, that covers pretty much everything.

As for teaching, it depends on where you want to teach, every market is different. But the main problem with us, is that teaching seems to be the go-to move for History and English majors. It sucks, but oh well.

And yeah, primary sources rule. I used to translate Latin sources but I've sort of forgotten how in the last couple years. If you can use microfilm, you should see what your library has on file. Virginia Tech has the entirety of the Richmond Dispatch during the Civil War, and it's interesting stuff.

edit: you can always teach overseas. Last I checked, the military is always looking for people to teach kids on base.

Old
11-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach J View Post
On the note of employment....I'm on my way in today for part 1 of the interviews for my boss' old job. It's a 15 minute presentation on a subject I wont get to know until I get to HR. It should be interesting...if I land the job I jump up 5 pay grades for an extra $6/hour and 5 more hours of work per week grossing me an extra $17k/ year. Here's hoping!
Update:

And then There were Two...

After the first round of testing it's down to me and 1 other applicant. I've gotta believe that I blew him away in the testing...the question was right up my alley and decidedly not down the other guys.

I'm on to the formal interview portion. 60 minutes to determine $10k of take home pay for the next year.

What I have in my favour:
- Top applicant after the testing by a sizable amount
- I have far more practical work experience in the rink environment
- I have more experience in rinks period
- I've been responsible for a lot of the user/event related work for the last year

What the other guy has in his favour:
- Has more work experience overall and has the education on paper the position is asking for (degree in recreation management)
- Has been acting in this position for the last 3 months (out of convinience IMO)
- Can ******** with the best of them
- Has seniority on me (meaning I need to beat him by 11% in the scoring to actually get the job)

My interview is Wednesday morning. I would imagine that I would hear about their decision by Friday.

Hah...I'm a little horrified to tell you the truth.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote