HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Yannick Weber recalled

Old
11-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
Weber can play fourth line forward and take the blueline on PP. They have done it before.
Yes, of course they've done it before, but when was the last time we called up a d-man with 6 healthy D ahead of him? If Weber plays tonight it will be an extremely proactive move by management, one that they don't usually make. Especially since we've won the last four games. Honestly i would be extremely surprised if he plays.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
IMO Carle is better right now and St. Denis is as good. I know neither possess the shot Weber has, I'm talking as puck moving dmen and they are better play makers. As for waivers I never totally understood how it works. I only know from reading boards that Weber is the only guy that doesn't have to worry about them other than the two rookies and neither of them are close yet.
Weber, Carle and St. Denis can all be recalled without waivers.

Carle is the only one who would have to clear if sent back (although I believe he can be up for up to 30 days before that kicks in).

...and given Carle already passed through waivers this year, I sincerely doubt he'd get claimed.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:11 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Yes, of course they've done it before, but when was the last time we called up a d-man with 6 healthy D ahead of him? If Weber plays tonight it will be an extremely proactive move by management, one that they don't usually make. Especially since we've won the last four games. Honestly i would be extremely surprised if he plays.
Oh I dont really have any thoughts either way on the likelihood of his being played, I was just pointing out that he could be used with 6 healthy D ahead of him, by simply not using him as a defenseman. If he were being used in Halpern`s spot during 5 on 5, and only at the blueline on the PP I dont see how whether or not there are six healthy D is relevant. Not saying that is what will happen.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Stradale

I don't know why but this is the first time I'm excited to see Weber called up.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:14 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Yeah I don't think Weber would play ahead of Picard either.

Personally I'd try it, but I don't think the habs management would.

That said, it's possible one of our D could be a question mark (flu, nagging injury, etc) for tonight. Who knows ?

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:15 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
Oh I dont really have any thoughts either way on the likelihood of his being played, I was just pointing out that he could be used with 6 healthy D ahead of him, by simply not using him as a defenseman.
true that, definitely not disagreeing with you there. I was just hoping that someone would comment on what i posted earlier. I get frustrated easily on these boards when i bring up what i think is an interesting insight and nobody responds. It's like i'm talking to myself half the time on here.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:15 PM
la25ecoupe

Weber + Subban = Cup Stanley

la25ecoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:16 PM
la25ecoupe

Will we see Weber and PK on the PP?

la25ecoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:19 PM
ChoseLa

Remember when we thought that Weber and Subban were on the same level?

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:23 PM
neofury*

He's been working hard and imo deserves a chance to play. We need offense on the back end. Let him and Picard duke it out, not saying Picard is bad but if Weber can play well and add offense he deserves a shot.

Plus Gorges/Halpern could be injured.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:31 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
One note I just thought of:

I now believe the team either plans to use him, or thinks Gorges being out is possible.

Why?

Teams NEVER call guys up before 5pm unless they have to. They now have to pay him an NHL salary today, which means he counts more against the cap than he would if called up at 5:01pm (officially he wouldn't count until tomorrow).

It sounds absurd, but that's become a pretty common practice.

If they were just calling him to be our 7th D, they'd have likely waited until 5pm.
This is true and a little curious. I think the Habs are trying to save every dime possible until they have a prognosis on Markov and the Habs are playing at home the next couple of nights while the Bulldogs are not that far away. It's why I think they didn't called him up right away.

So I guess it's possible we'll see Weber and Picard? Maybe Gorges can't go or someone else is under the weather?

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
He's been working hard and imo deserves a chance to play. We need offense on the back end. Let him and Picard duke it out, not saying Picard is bad but if Weber can play well and add offense he deserves a shot.

Plus Gorges/Halpern could be injured.
His AHL numbers don't justify sitting one of our top 6 guys, definitely not with the team winning and barely givining up any goals.

It's ridiculous the amount of people willing to mess with success just to get their favorite prospect/enforcer in the lineup. What kind of message would that send? We just shut out the hottest/highest scoring team in the NHL but we think player X or Y should sit for a guy we just called up anyways.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:47 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
I would have recalled Bonneau and Conboy for Monday nights game against the Flyers and tell them to run at Richards, Briere, Carter and any other good Flyers players. Maybe they'd shut up about Subban after that.
Conboy is injured and we don't own the NHL rights to Bonneau.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:52 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
His AHL numbers don't justify sitting one of our top 6 guys, definitely not with the team winning and barely givining up any goals.

It's ridiculous the amount of people willing to mess with success just to get their favorite prospect/enforcer in the lineup. What kind of message would that send? We just shut out the hottest/highest scoring team in the NHL but we think player X or Y should sit for a guy we just called up anyways.
Yeah but if somebody might not be able to play I really don't see the reason why people are QQing.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Conboy is injured and we don't own the NHL rights to Bonneau.

White and Henry will be fine then.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

Welcome back Vebaire.

Now show us your bomb.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:07 PM
phoque taupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedawg View Post
Welcome back Vebaire.

Now show us your bomb.
damnit
u almost pulled a brunet!
I was wondering about who he was talkin when he was talking about ouais-beurre

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:07 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Apparently the -5 rating happened in the span of 3-4 bad games in a row, and he just hasn't been able to bring that number back up. It should be noted also that the Bulldogs have had a really hard time getting 5-5 on goals lately so it's his negative rating has more to do with how the team is playing than how he's playing.
He's only been a + player in 3 games this season. He's a -5 in his last 4 games

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
Its a measure of how good you are 5 on 5 which is the way the game is played most of the time. I've seen all home games this year and unless the Habs are using Weber because of waiver issues they didn't pick the best dman in Hamilton.
I assume the Habs are looking at it from the prespective of them needing help on the PP and he's the best option for what the Habs need (and only option, no one comes close to that shot) Waivers should not be an issue here at all as no one has to worry about waivers in Hamilton unless their stay was more longer term.

I think St-Denis has picked it up, impressed with his defensive play, although aside from last game, the Dogs have been in a little rut so it's hard to say who's been the best D in Hamilton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Weber is almost as big as Subban, 200lbs.
Weber is not almost as big as Subban, Subban is not tall but very compact with good strength, Weber is a little shorter in height but lacks the mass and strength. Subban clearly is very strong lower body, Weber is not.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Yeah but if somebody might not be able to play I really don't see the reason why people are QQing.
There is a huge difference between Weber replacing an injured Gorges and sitting Picard to play him...and I'm not a big Picard fan.

Old
11-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
There is a huge difference between Weber replacing an injured Gorges and sitting Picard to play him...and I'm not a big Picard fan.
I'd argue that if they were just looking for a healthy body, that's why god invented Alex Henry.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:59 PM
OneSharpMarble

I don't know why they would recall him if he wasn't going to play. I think he will get some time and give less minutes to Hamrlik, Gill, Spacek.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
While i admit Weber was pretty decent in his final couple of preseason games, and has been putting up pretty good numbers in the AHL, i rly dont care about the -5

i still would of prefered Alex Henry, and paired him up with subban.

Whos going to help subban monday...?

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I'd argue that if they were just looking for a healthy body, that's why god invented Alex Henry.
I think if they recalled him he goes on Re-entry waivers and they could lose him, plus be on the hook for a 250k cap hit.

Old
11-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
While i admit Weber was pretty decent in his final couple of preseason games, and has been putting up pretty good numbers in the AHL, i rly dont care about the -5

i still would of prefered Alex Henry, and paired him up with subban.

Whos going to help subban monday...?
Put him with Gill, at 6'8" 250lbs I don't think too many would mess with him.

Old
11-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Toro

I was hoping that Carle would get the first D call up as he has earned it(over the years and this season) and has a good all around game. But i guess Management couldn't pass up Weber's 8 goals.

My guess is Weber is insurance if Gorges can't go.

Weber needs more AHL time and to get stronger, Carle is ready and i think he is on a level with Picard. Picard stoll his job. Hope Carle gets a shot at some point, feel bad for him.

Also like some have mentioned, St.Denis has really improved the last few years. He started out a whipping boy being thrown all over the lineup on Forward and on D but mostly in the pressbox. Now he is a solid contributer in all situations.

Then there is Nash who is intriguing now with his size but could use some more development in Hamilton and will be a solid prospect/potential player for Montreal in the next few years.

Last edited by Toro: 11-18-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote