HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#20: Lightning @ Flyers - Thursday, Nov. 18, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-18-2010, 04:12 PM
  #101
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Meszaros couldn't be the go-to guy as a defenseman, that was his issue.

Meszaros is anchoring his own pairing, so if one says he and Carle are even, Meszaros gets the nod for that alone, while Carle has to get Pronger
At 22 years old, turning 23, the Lightening, who were a pretty bad team already, depended fully on Meszaros to be their... Timonen/Pronger. He was playing on the top pairing for the most part, top pp and pk, all at 22/23. He was WAY over his head, having to anchor a line at his age. In Ottawa, he was playing next to Chara. In Tampa he was playing next to who, Paul Ranger? Thats a huge difference for a young player.

Personally, I was VERY skeptical when Homer traded for the guy. Right now though, I am starting to become his fan. I really like how he is playing. I remember Tampa fans saying he played a soft game. He is playing with confidence and force right now. I will go as far as saying he has been our 3rd best d-man right now.

I think in a year or two, if he is easily pushed into the role, Mez could be a solid top 4 player.

sa cyred is offline  
Old
11-18-2010, 04:14 PM
  #102
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,805
vCash: 500
Great job MSE - thank you!!

I'm hoping to see a good game, and I'd rather not see Stamkos anywhere on the scoresheet!

LET'S GO FLYERS!!

CharlieGirl is online now  
Old
11-18-2010, 04:15 PM
  #103
Flyersfan139
Registered User
 
Flyersfan139's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Exton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,966
vCash: 500
Is Bobrovsky starting again?

Flyersfan139 is offline  
Old
11-18-2010, 04:17 PM
  #104
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,361
vCash: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan139 View Post
Is Bobrovsky starting again?
He has been named the starter.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now  
Old
11-18-2010, 04:17 PM
  #105
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,361
vCash: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Great job MSE - thank you!!

I'm hoping to see a good game, and I'd rather not see Stamkos anywhere on the scoresheet!

LET'S GO FLYERS!!
You were right about him from day one.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now  
Old
11-18-2010, 04:20 PM
  #106
mypunkrock
Registered User
 
mypunkrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
This is the game I surprised my mom with. Whole family is going. Section 213,, maybe 218. If you're behind the visiting goalie net, facing the ice, we're in the section to the right, on the upper level.

I've got some crazy sideburns. Stop by, say hi!

mypunkrock is offline  
Old
11-18-2010, 04:23 PM
  #107
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,597
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
At 22 years old, turning 23, the Lightening, who were a pretty bad team already, depended fully on Meszaros to be their... Timonen/Pronger. He was playing on the top pairing for the most part, top pp and pk, all at 22/23. He was WAY over his head, having to anchor a line at his age. In Ottawa, he was playing next to Chara. In Tampa he was playing next to who, Paul Ranger? Thats a huge difference for a young player.

Personally, I was VERY skeptical when Homer traded for the guy. Right now though, I am starting to become his fan. I really like how he is playing. I remember Tampa fans saying he played a soft game. He is playing with confidence and force right now. I will go as far as saying he has been our 3rd best d-man right now.

I think in a year or two, if he is easily pushed into the role, Mez could be a solid top 4 player.
Yeah, i considered his acquisition a bad move based on what TB fans told us, but he has really been great. I wasn't expecting him to be pure garbage since the D isnt all on him, but he has still surpassed my expectations.

that contract is a shame though.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
11-18-2010, 04:24 PM
  #108
Cleary84
Registered User
 
Cleary84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,424
vCash: 500
I would hope your seats were facing the ice

Cleary84 is offline  
Old
11-18-2010, 04:28 PM
  #109
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,597
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post
I would hope your seats were facing the ice
I suppose those would be the extra-cheap seats

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
11-18-2010, 04:38 PM
  #110
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,528
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
This is the game I surprised my mom with. Whole family is going. Section 213,, maybe 218. If you're behind the visiting goalie net, facing the ice, we're in the section to the right, on the upper level.

I've got some crazy sideburns. Stop by, say hi!
Cool, I forgot about that story HAve fun tonight

GO FLYERS

bennysflyers16 is offline  
Old
11-18-2010, 04:40 PM
  #111
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
This is the game I surprised my mom with. Whole family is going. Section 213,, maybe 218. If you're behind the visiting goalie net, facing the ice, we're in the section to the right, on the upper level.

I've got some crazy sideburns. Stop by, say hi!
Have a fantastic time!! I'm so excited for your Mom - she's going to have a great time!

CharlieGirl is online now  
Old
11-18-2010, 04:41 PM
  #112
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
You were right about him from day one.
He's better now than I expected him to be, to be honest. The kid is unreal. It's a bigger feather in Kitchener's hat that they were able to shut him down too!

CharlieGirl is online now  
Old
11-18-2010, 04:43 PM
  #113
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!
 
orange and black48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fairless Hills, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,509
vCash: 500
LETS GO FLYERS!
Should be a good game. Watch out for that Stamkos guy, I hear he is pretty good!

orange and black48 is offline  
Old
11-18-2010, 04:43 PM
  #114
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,054
vCash: 500
Keith Jones said last year, IIRC, that he could see Stamkos out-scoring Ovechkin eventually. I actually agreed with him then. Still agree with that. Stamkos is much younger and watching him last year, there's probably not another player's shot that I fear more then his. He's also still extremely young.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
11-18-2010, 05:11 PM
  #115
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,468
vCash: 500
Bob starting again. Jesus. Lavy has me concerned about his goalie decisions.

Also Mez is a tank. Very strong guy. He has been solid and i think he will get better.

Alchemy is offline  
Old
11-18-2010, 05:42 PM
  #116
DenverBoone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Meszaros couldn't be the go-to guy as a defenseman, that was his issue.

Meszaros is anchoring his own pairing, so if one says he and Carle are even, Meszaros gets the nod for that alone, while Carle has to get Pronger
I'm pretty sure Carle could anchor a 3rd pairing. Plus Carle has to play back more than he'd like due to the fact that Pronger is slower than ****. Nevertheless, we have a great defense and wouldn't want to change it at all.

DenverBoone is offline  
Old
11-18-2010, 05:50 PM
  #117
nevermore
Cap space since 2005
 
nevermore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Austria
Posts: 11,865
vCash: 500
Why is Boucher even on the team? I'm starting to think that without Bobrovsky, Laviolette would've started Backlund over Boosh.

nevermore is offline  
Old
11-18-2010, 05:54 PM
  #118
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,597
vCash: 156
yeah, i'd kind of like to see Bob rested.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
11-18-2010, 05:56 PM
  #119
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,361
vCash: 1431
Randy Jones has been scratched.

Hedman and Roy are among the blueliners playing.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now  
Old
11-18-2010, 05:58 PM
  #120
ozo
Registered User
 
ozo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Latvia
Posts: 2,751
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
yeah, i'd kind of like to see Bob rested.
Maybe just because I'm neutral spectator, but I want to see Bobrovsky being really tested by Stamkos.

ozo is offline  
Old
11-18-2010, 05:59 PM
  #121
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Do you honestly believe that giving him one game off in the week is going to rest him? wow.......

Spongolium* is offline  
Old
11-18-2010, 06:01 PM
  #122
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
it's true. there were a lot of games where the offense didn't look good, but there were also a lot where they looked great and the goaltenders looked better. It was a perfect storm.
This. I remember last year, how the flyers were throwing everything, including the kitchen sink at teams, and usually back up goaltenders were standing on their heads against us. It seemed to be every keeper too. Boosh was quite fantastic during the streak. keeping a GAA under 2 pretty much the whole way.

Spongolium* is offline  
Old
11-18-2010, 06:01 PM
  #123
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,597
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Do you honestly believe that giving him one game off in the week is going to rest him? wow.......
no. I wanted him rested against MTL on monday as well.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
11-18-2010, 06:03 PM
  #124
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,597
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
This. I remember last year, how the flyers were throwing everything, including the kitchen sink at teams, and usually back up goaltenders were standing on their heads against us. It seemed to be every keeper too. Boosh was quite fantastic during the streak. keeping a GAA under 2 pretty much the whole way.
it's all boosh's fault though

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
11-18-2010, 06:07 PM
  #125
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Randy Jones has been scratched.
Awww, no fair.

CharlieGirl is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.