HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#20: Lightning @ Flyers - Thursday, Nov. 18, 2010

Old
11-18-2010, 09:17 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I have to say, I think people are hugely overreacting to this game.

I mean, right now, this team is the best ES team in the NHL with a 1.62 GF/GA ratio.

The MTL game, we give up a 5 on 3 goal, absolutely pepper Price (who was absolutely amazing in that game), Bob lets in a weak one, it's suddenly 2-0 going into the 3rd period against a goalie who's on fire. Games like that happen.

This game was fluky in a lot of respects, the PK (which had been 10th coming in), was pretty horrific, couple bad defensive plays, a couple horrible goals let in, couple guys had off nights, **** happens.

But I mean, this team is still 2nd in the Eastern Conference, still the best ES team in the NHL, and still a very tough game for anybody on the NHL schedule.

While I think some things will get tougher (we aren't going to keep up a .924 save percentage), this team is still pretty stacked and has still put together a pretty impressive stretch of 15 or so games.

You can't play your best game every night. NHL season is too long for that. There's no need to panic though.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:22 PM
CTU2fan

When did the league ban the hip check?

Meszaros throws a beauty, clearly connected with the thigh and not the knee...and gets 2, and 2 for unsportsmanlike with nothing to the TB guys who went after him. Pretty clear "F-U" call by the official there.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
You mean Flyers were unable to close tired injured team after a day off, took a bunch of penalties and generally looked like ****??

I mean who cares about stats right now? We are talking about a single game here.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:24 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

The only thing that really drove me crazy this game is when Boucher gave up that horrible rebound, then the defense didn't clear it, then it got dunked.

Mother of god.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:25 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
The only thing that really drove me crazy this game is when Boucher gave up that horrible rebound, then the defense didn't clear it, then it got dunked.

Mother of god.
The Flyers players dont like Boosh lol.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:26 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Not much he can do on the 4th line.
That, and he had 6:36 TOI. He was a ghost because he literally wasn't on the ice for 89% of the game.

I go out to a bar because of my hockey teammate moving to Florida and come back to a team that scored 7 goals and lost? Christ, I should have drank more.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Flyerfan4life

well i can tell you nothing about Bouchers play tonite will have helped his cause to earn the backup slot..

thats for sure...

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
That, and he had 6:36 TOI. He was a ghost because he literally wasn't on the ice for 89% of the game.

I go out to a bar because of my hockey teammate moving to Florida and come back to a team that scored 7 goals and lost? Christ, I should have drank more.
Very true, alot of the game was special teams though

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The Flyers players dont like Boosh lol.
I've been sure of this since December of last year. Doesn't surprise me if we're seeing more instances of it. It's one of the reasons Leighton did so well last year, IMO, the players seemed more willing to take **** to help him out.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
StandingCow

Man, I missed a hell of a game, sucks they get no points.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:31 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

But really who do you take off the top 9? Zherdev is finally producing even if he is playing 9 minutes a night. Nodl is scoring goals. Even Powe has that one "nice play" of the night that turns into an assist. Only guy I can think of is Powe, but even then I dont know if JVR would hustle enough on that line that needs hustling.

Old
11-18-2010, 09:32 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I've been sure of this since December of last year. Doesn't surprise me if we're seeing more instances of it. It's one of the reasons Leighton did so well last year, IMO, the players seemed more willing to take **** to help him out.
I do think that is one of the many reasons Lavy has been playing Bob so much. Personally I think he is just waiting till Leighton is back and then Bob wont be playing these 14 games in a row.

Old
11-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
I do think that is one of the many reasons Lavy has been playing Bob so much. Personally I think he is just waiting till Leighton is back and then Bob wont be playing these 14 games in a row.

i hope this is true..

Old
11-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Villedelphia*

holy **** just saw the score, pissed I missed this one. too bad they lost in reg but hey what can you do, just one game, we have a great team and I assume Bouch started.

were either goalies pulled?

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
holy **** just saw the score, pissed I missed this one. too bad they lost in reg but hey what can you do, just one game, we have a great team and I assume Bouch started.

both were pulled early..

UGLY game all around..very ugly actualy..

Old
11-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
The best thing that will result from this game are the films, you can bet every coach in the NHL will review this game closely.. Not so much for the Flyers or goaltending but the Guy Boucher led Bolts.

Guy Boucher is an experiment in the NHL, he brings an offense new to the NHL-basically, everyone attacks the net. He is taking the post lock out free wheeling game to the extreme! Back to the 80's were no one checked so to speak.

In my opinion is all one needs to do to stop Guy Boucher and his buddies Stamkos and St. Louis is hard core hitting and checking.. Keep an eye on Tampa.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:40 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post

Actually, Bob started. Got pulled after the 1st. Ellis started for tampa, got pulled late in the 1st, Both goalies were pulled after giving up 4 goals.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Jumping

I wish we had gone for the two point conversion after we scored the touchdown...

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Villedelphia*

oh ****, thats awfully disheartening. Poor kid, have to agree with this:

Quote:

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:48 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
Guys, just relax. You guys are still having a great season. Try being a fan of the team I follow (Leafs) and then you'll have something to be upset about. The flyers are my Eastern pick to go far in the playoffs this year and you guys will beat the Caps next game. Caps have skill, but look for Richards to shut down Ovechkin like he did so well in Vancouver.

I think the Flyers will meet the Caps in the playoffs at some point this year and I see you guys coming out on top. Players like Richards have too much heart and the Flyers are a team with too much size and physicality to be taken down by the Caps. Good luck the rest of the way.
Thanks. Nice win against the Devils tonight. We can always say "At least we're not the Devils."

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:51 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
Meszaros throws a beauty, clearly connected with the thigh and not the knee...and gets 2, and 2 for unsportsmanlike with nothing to the TB guys who went after him. Pretty clear "F-U" call by the official there.
I disagree. Meszaros went way too low, he practically went full fetal at him, and lined him up that way in the process. It was a nothing play, and Meszaros had all the time in the world to just finish his check normally. That was all on him, not the ref, IMHO.

Old
11-18-2010, 09:56 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
So, who starts vs. Caps?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:56 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

I mean, right now, this team is the best ES team in the NHL with a 1.62 GF/GA ratio.

The MTL game, we give up a 5 on 3 goal, absolutely pepper Price (who was absolutely amazing in that game), Bob lets in a weak one, it's suddenly 2-0 going into the 3rd period against a goalie who's on fire. Games like that happen.

This game was fluky in a lot of respects, the PK (which had been 10th coming in), was pretty horrific, couple bad defensive plays, a couple horrible goals let in, couple guys had off nights, **** happens.

But I mean, this team is still 2nd in the Eastern Conference, still the best ES team in the NHL, and still a very tough game for anybody on the NHL schedule.

While I think some things will get tougher (we aren't going to keep up a .924 save percentage), this team is still pretty stacked and has still put together a pretty impressive stretch of 15 or so games.

You can't play your best game every night. NHL season is too long for that. There's no need to panic though.
You're probably right. However, the Canadiens game left a bad taste in everybody's mouth with the shenanigans that went on, and being shut out. Now, the Flyers decide to play some shinny with soccer nets against TBay, a team they should handle relatively easily. And one of the great strengths of the past great run - ie, team discipline - went out the window tonight.

I don't want to be Chicken Little, but we saw last year how, all of a sudden, this team couldn't beat anybody. Now they are facing Washington, who can score a bit, and the same Montreal team. Thank goodness that Price looked merely mortal tonight in a 3-0 loss to Nashville.

Old
11-18-2010, 10:00 PM
RoDu

what happened to the team that was ripping things up the other week?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Just got home and I don't even know what to say about this game.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote