HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#20: Lightning @ Flyers - Thursday, Nov. 18, 2010

Old
11-18-2010, 11:06 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
The Habs game Price was huge.

I just got handed tickets to Monday nights game. Can't ****ing wait.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:06 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
what happened to the team that was ripping things up the other week?
Nothing really. They blasted 41 shots on Price and scored 7 goals tonight. Well, nothing except that the PP and PK both went stale :X

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:10 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
It's a long season, this stuff is going to happen.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:11 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I thought Timonen in an interview after a game during an intermission said it best...."when we play our game we can beat anybody in this league, when we don't play our game and play undisciplined we are average at best." Tonight they showed that....

As Pronger has said.. true contenders don't lose more than 2 games in a row very often. The next two games they need to show they can be a true cup contender even if it's early. Big test especially considering both teams have beat them and in the case of Montreal showed them up a bit.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:13 PM
BernieParent

The thing is, how many of those 41 shots were excellent scoring opportunities? The Flyers buzzed around the net, but Price had clear viewing of most point shots. There was a lot of perimeter stuff, too, but no highlight-reel, highway-robbery stops. There was 1 golden scoring opportunity, where Price slid across to block a wrister from just inside the dot. Apart from that, the Canadiens had more missed excellent chances than the Flyers, to be quite honest.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
They had three separate two-goal leads, which happens in a game about as often as both teams score 7 goals.

Even with 7 goals, poor special teams can still kill you. How many games do people wonder how the game isn't 7-7 through 2 periods, for whatever reason, just this time it was.

Halfway through the game they scored 7 goals and had 2-goal lead, and couldn't close the deal.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Amateur Hour

Tonight never happened.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Tonight never happened.
if only that were true..

hard to beleive after we were up 2-0 early it would end up being a 8-7 loss..

DAM...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:41 PM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
if only that were true..

DAM...
Yeah that pretty much sums it up.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:42 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 929
Post-game quotes regarding Bobrovsky:

http://www.csnphilly.com/11/18/10/La...737&feedID=695

Quote:
However, Bobrovsky admitted on Monday that the workload has gotten “tougher” on him and he didn’t have any idea of how many games he played consecutively in Russia last season. Only that he played 35 games overall.

“On one hand, physically it’s a little tougher,” Bobrovsky said via a translator after Monday’s win over Ottawa. “But on the other hand, with each game, you get into the game much faster. So I prefer to [play] as often as possible.”

Laviolette said Bobrovsky has not asked goalie coach Jeff Reese or himself for a breather.

“I talked to Bob [on Wednesday] and he said he felt pretty good,” Laviolette said. “He had a day off [Wednesday]. Yeah, you worry about fatigue with all your players. Defensemen play 27 minutes and are out there battling. We had a day off, a break, we come in here fresh.”

Told that, sometimes, a player will confide in a reporter sooner than he would with his own coach about fatigue, Laviolette said he felt if that were the case, then Bobrovsky’s relationship with Reese would hold up since he is the man closest to him on the coaching staff.

“I have more stock in the conversations that take place with Jeff Reese and the conversation I had with Bob yesterday, than hearsay or something that is missed in translation,” Laviolette said when pressed on the issue.

“He has a good relationship with Reeser. I think … was he tired after the Montreal game? Well, he should be. We traveled through the night. We didn’t get in until late. You don’t go to bed until 4 [a.m.]. We played the Canadiens and he played back-to-back games. I’m sure a lot of our guys are tired.

“So we a had day off yesterday and gave them the rest they need to recover. And kept them away from the rink. They didn’t have to listen to me yap. We move forward today.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:44 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Additional quotes:

http://www.csnphilly.com/11/18/10/Fl...097&feedID=695

Quote:
“We came out with the right intentions,” Coach Peter Laviolette said. “When you’re up like that, you expect to close the deal. It didn’t happen like that ... It was one of those wild games. You don’t see 8-7 games in the National Hockey League.

“I don’t think you can dust it under the carpet, either. There’s things we have to take a look at. Too many goals we gave up were just prime scoring chances. We need better coverage on that.”

Things like blowing a two-goal lead three times.

“When you score seven goals, you should win games,” Danny Briere said. “There were a lot of breakdowns.”

There’s no excuse for blowing three two-goal leads.

“Weird game; we felt like we had full control in the first 10 minutes and then let get two
quick ones,” Jody Shelley said. “It was like that the rest of the game. So disappointing. We felt like we let it slip.”

Old
11-18-2010, 11:44 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

In his post game interview they asked him if he needs a rest and he said through his interpreter that he wasn't going to answer that dangerous question....he's learning in more ways than one.

Old
11-18-2010, 11:46 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
In his post game interview they asked him if he needs a rest and he said through his interpreter that he wasn't going to answer that dangerous question....he's learning in more ways than one.
This is how Tim P. quoted Bobrovsky on Twitter:
Quote:
"that's a risky question to answer."

Old
11-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Bob doesnt strike me as the kind of guy who'd ask for a breather.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:05 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
if only that were true..

DAM...
How many people here thought they would lose the game 8-7, when they took a 7-5 lead before the game was halfway over?

That tends to be typical of the high scoring games in this NHL. We've seen a bunch of games that were 4-3, 5-4, I saw a 7-3 game after 2 once, and in the 3rd period only one goal is scored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Bob doesnt strike me as the kind of guy who'd ask for a breather.
Hockey players see themselves as too tough to do a thing like ask for rest. In that sense, that is like any other sport. No one wants to voluntarily give up playing time. That's where the coach has to come in and make a decision, because if he always asks the players he won't always get an honest answer. Bobrovsky knows that he is playing with the house's money, and he doesn't want to willingly leave any of it on the table.

I don't want to bag on Boucher either, but tonight's game also goes along with how the Flyers just don't win with Boucher behind them. For whatever reason. I think that plays into the decision, because there's no need to fix winning.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:19 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

well they can win with Boosh in net against Toronto. but then again...who doesn't win against Toronto?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:22 AM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

7 goals look really good guys! ....... if your not ****ing giving up 8 ****ing goals.

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:23 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
well they can win with Boosh in net against Toronto. but then again...who doesn't win against Toronto?

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:25 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Post-game reaction:

Old
11-19-2010, 12:25 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

On a petty note I'm kind of mad this game screwed up all the Flyers stats which includes their GF vs GA differential and Bob's personal stats..yikes 60% save percentage tonight.

Old
11-19-2010, 12:34 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy View Post

I'm a big fan of self-deprecating humour. Bravo, sir/madam!

Old
11-19-2010, 12:40 AM
Snipsnap12

I didnt have time to read all of the posts, but has anyone mentioned how terrible boucher looked tonight? Did he even make 5 saves..... Honestly we need leighton back to help Bob carry some of the load because boucher just doesnt have what it takes to win games. Bob needs a rest and now we have caps and habs, does bob go back to starting each game? The losses this year have a much bigger impact on me than last year... maybe because I now expect excellence as should the team. Anyway hopefully we can beat the caps in their building saturday because we need to get rolling again

Last edited by Snipsnap12: 11-19-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:53 AM
BernieParent

Boucher made a couple of nice stops early in the 2nd on the PK, but one play jumped out: Boucher slid across with his pads stacked. The commentators remarked on it that nobody does that anymore. It's like Boucher made a save with Windows XP.

Old
11-19-2010, 01:16 AM
mypunkrock

After seeing the game live, here are my reactions:

The lines were all messed up after the first few goals. I know Nodl missed a few shifts, and while no one appeared missing, the line combos were straight up bizarre for long stretches.

Bob did not look good. Boosh did not look good, though to be fair, coming in cold and getting little help defensively, Boosh got put out to dry.

No one was covering Stamkos on his goals. He was literally standing on the ice waiting for the play to come his way.

Genuinely horrible defensive effort, outside of the pk. Very little rhythm to the overall game.

We did not play nearly as physically as we needed to.

The Mez hit was totally clean, and the refs did a rather poor job of officiating the game. Many blown calls in this one.

This is gut check time for the team, because of so many games in so few days. Streaks are nice, but they need to learn from this - hit people, hustle, and keep shooting the puck.

Overall, a bizarre game with a terrible outcome.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:50 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

people need to stop blaming the refs. the refs didnt make all those poor defensive plays tonight, they didnt allow 8 goals, and they didnt blow 3(count em 3) 2 goal leads. Some teams go weeks or more without blowing 3 2goal leads. We managed to do it 3 times in the same damn game. Inexcusable. When this team plays stupid hockey like they did tonight they wont beat anyone. let alone a team with talented players like Stamkos and MSL.
Boucher wasnt good. But to totally blame him is dumb. i mean when was the last time he played in a game? Boucher is as much fault as anyone else.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote