HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Marcel Goc appreciation thread

Old
11-18-2010, 10:26 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
The Official Marcel Goc appreciation thread

He kills penalties.

He scores goals(now tied for team lead, in fewer games).

He scores shorthanded goals.

He's probably our best puck possession forward at this point, and has unveiled a previously unseen arsenal of fancy stickplay.

He's German.

His contract is cheap.

His first name is cool.

His last name is cool.

I think I love you, Marcel Goc.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Suter brought me here, but Goc helps keep me here.

...does that mean I just derailed this thread?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:54 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
The headline on np.com was "OH MY GOC!"

He's playing great, hope he keeps it going all year!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:02 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 788
I was really disappointed when he got that shoulder injury. He was off to a great start, but it's nice to see that he looks to have rebounded well. He really can do it all. I bet we'd have 1-2 more wins had he not been run by that freakin Backstrom.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:08 AM
predfan24

People don't like to give Poile credit for the buy low guys but here is a case where it worked out tremendously. I remember the summer we signed him I believe it was 2 way and it was also the summer we signed Guite and it was generally agreed on that Goc and Guite would be fighting it out over that 4th line spot. That looks redicolous now.

He was drafted 20th overall in his draft year so I assume he had some offense potential all along sometimes it just takes guys longer to realize it. For some reason ever since he had been here it's like something has clicked for him. I watch him play and I think he's a good skater, he's got a pretty good shot, he's a pretty good playmaker, he's pretty smart, he's a good two way player and he works hard. It's almost comical to think even a year ago at this point he and O'Beastly would be our most dangerous offensive players right now.

Now hopefully I didn't just jinx him.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 06:12 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

We look like a different team when Goc is out, almost as much as when some of our more "high profile" players are out.

It's just good to see that a guy who was pretty much written off as a ten goal fourth liner in SJ could have such an impact here. I would not be surprised to see him finish in the 20 goal region this season.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Jarnberg

Goc has been fantastic this year and is up there as one of our best forwards on the ice.

I especially agree with this part, as it is something our other forwards lack:

Quote:
He's probably our best puck possession forward at this point, and has unveiled a previously unseen arsenal of fancy stickplay.
And that he's German

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

I love the production from Goc, it's a pleasant surprise and we would obviously be worse off without him on the roster.

However... the joy that comes in seeing one of our checking line guys doing well offensively also means that our scoring line guys are not getting the job done.

But yes, Goc is awesome! He could definitely be a candidate for an "A" if he sticks around, he's obviously a leader since he captains team germany. What will keep him from making a lengthy career in Nashville is that we have Lombardi, Wilson and O'Reilly ahead of him for scoring line centers, and we won't be able to justify his salary on a checking line.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
People don't like to give Poile credit for the buy low guys but here is a case where it worked out tremendously. I remember the summer we signed him I believe it was 2 way and it was also the summer we signed Guite and it was generally agreed on that Goc and Guite would be fighting it out over that 4th line spot. That looks redicolous now.

He was drafted 20th overall in his draft year so I assume he had some offense potential all along sometimes it just takes guys longer to realize it. For some reason ever since he had been here it's like something has clicked for him. I watch him play and I think he's a good skater, he's got a pretty good shot, he's a pretty good playmaker, he's pretty smart, he's a good two way player and he works hard. It's almost comical to think even a year ago at this point he and O'Beastly would be our most dangerous offensive players right now.

Now hopefully I didn't just jinx him.
For the record, Guite is presently doing a bang-up job with the captaincy in Springfield.

Goc, in terms of circumstances and the role he's found, just reminds me a heck of a lot of Manny Malhotra (who I also loved when he played here). First-round pick, didn't quite reach the potential folks envisioned, but still contributes effectively with the skillset he has been able to bring, and occasionally makes you go .

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Goc lately is like a good Legwand....if Legwand remembered/found/discovered a scoring touch.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:18 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I love the production from Goc, it's a pleasant surprise and we would obviously be worse off without him on the roster.

However... the joy that comes in seeing one of our checking line guys doing well offensively also means that our scoring line guys are not getting the job done.

But yes, Goc is awesome! He could definitely be a candidate for an "A" if he sticks around, he's obviously a leader since he captains team germany. What will keep him from making a lengthy career in Nashville is that we have Lombardi, Wilson and O'Reilly ahead of him for scoring line centers, and we won't be able to justify his salary on a checking line.
with that russian who shall remain unnamed not coming back, wouldn't surprise me to try to hang onto Goc for a few years and keep Wilson at F. We don't necessarily have to roll an "energy" or a "checking" line - we're pretty balanced now and we could roll 4 more balanced lines indefinitely.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 11:06 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Goc lately is like a good Legwand....if Legwand remembered/found/discovered a scoring touch.
That's just what I was thinking...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Webersmashpuck

The things that amaze me about Goc this year is that he was gone and that is when the offense was terrible and now back our offense looks like the middle of the pack. Its strange that Goc may have had that much of an effect on the offense as a whole. The other thing is that players get hot streaks sometimes, but Goc has been showing skill more than luck to get his hot streak, the pass a few days ago to O'Brien and that wrist shot last night were awesome.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:42 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Not to mention his neutral zone takeaway that led to the elusive breakaway goal shorthanded Tuesday.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:19 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Agreed. Last season, I said Goc was 85% of Legwand. This season, he's surpassed him with more consistent offensive play. And he also makes 5x less money. Legwand has started another goal-less streak-- 13 games I believe.

We'll see how Lombardi plays when/if he comes back, but with O'Reilly and Goc playing the way they are, Legwand could be our 4th best center.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:45 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but we should probably stay away from turning the Marcel Goc Appreciation thread into another Legwand debate thread.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor

saw him live against the habs, he played very very well!

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 10:24 AM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

I'm really happy for him. He's such a nice down to earth guy.
And here I thought the wouldn't even be in the NHL anymore in 2010/11 a
few years ago.
Shows how much I know.

JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 11:47 AM
smitty10

Goc is a guy who was drafted in the 1st round and full of potential, but was almost ruined by playing 4th line minutes in San Jose. Honestly, the best thing that has happened to him in his NHL career was coming to Nashville for a fresh start on a solid team. I can see him putting up ~20 goals a year give or take a couple for the next 4-5 years. IMO he is the best German forward in the NHL currently and I think he will captain Germany for a long time. Maybe he will get an A on the Preds too.

Also, David Elsner has drawn comparisons to Goc, but with more grit. Should be nice to have another guy like him if he develops properly over in Germany.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Goc has Fiddleritis . He's gone with the same move three times in a row....to his left/shoot low on both SO attempts and the breakaway the other day.

Old
11-21-2010, 01:48 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Goc has Fiddleritis . He's gone with the same move three times in a row....to his left/shoot low on both SO attempts and the breakaway the other day.
Hey if it works it works. He just needs to change it up sometimes and realize athletic goalies will get over to cover the post and he needs to shoot it high over the pad after he makes that backhand for forehand move. It was open yesterday.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Hey if it works it works. He just needs to change it up sometimes and realize athletic goalies will get over to cover the post and he needs to shoot it high over the pad after he makes that backhand for forehand move. It was open yesterday.
Oh, I know...I was being facetious and it just makes me laugh. As soon as I saw Goc out there I was like "Watch out Goc, you need to go high on Ward!!" He's got plenty of other moves...he's just riding the wave right now.

He's still 2/3 on that move so it's fine.

Old
11-22-2010, 05:16 AM
SilasAdams

Our best player imo.

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote