HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

$64.3M Upper Limit for '11-'12

Old
11-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Richter35

vCash: 500
a conservative lineup, promotion within with some spots to go to FA's. Gilroys a goner, still need more secondary scoring as well but there's capspace for that.

FORWARDS
Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.750m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.100m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.750m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m) / Brian Boyle ($1.500m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
Michal Rozsival ($5.000m) / Marc Staal ($3.975m)
Daniel Girardi ($3.325m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
Pavel Valentenko ($0.550m) / Mike Sauer ($0.650m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) /Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $61,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,900,000; BONUSES: $1,062,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $6,562,500

this leaves space for some deals in FA or one good ($6mill) player, which besides Semin I don't think is available at the moment.

Richter35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 06:28 PM
NYRangers16

If we sign a Richards or Semin, it pretty much would be a trade of Drury for one of them since we'd be free of Drury's contract after next year. And we'd have Drury's OK/FO skills for the year. Would be a tight fit but would be doable if we decide either player is elite enough to be worth it.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 07:47 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Anyone ever notice how the split quote arguments are always irritable?

As far as the team, I suppose its too early to calculate raises for the pack line. If they slow down it may cheapen them.
I dont mind if they are split 2 or 3 times. But the posts that are split 10-15 times I normally just pass over. Its just too time consuming and most of the time it is just bickering between posters(not always).

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstationline View Post
I want no part of Semin. Zero. He has bust written all over him.
He has $7 mill a year for 5 years written all over him. The way he's scoring now... The dude's going to the bank.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:54 PM
darko

X - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Avery - Drury - X
Boogard - Boyle - Prust
Christensen

Staal - Girardi
Del Zotto - Rozsival
Valetenko - Sauer

Resign Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Sauer and Boyle.
Dubinsky - will get between 4 and 5 mill per. Hoping for somewhere in 4 - 4.25 ballpark. Higher $ means more years. I would be happy with say a 5/6 year deal at 5 mill per (or just under)
Callahan - around 3.5 mill per, say 3-4 year deal
Anisimov - 2-2.5 mill per, 2 or 3 year deal
Sauer - just over a mill per, preferably a 2 year deal not 1
Boyle - around 1.5 mill per, 2 year deal

Fedotenko - gone
Eminger - gone
Gilroy - gone
Frolov - ?

We would need a top line LW and RW to play with Avery and Drury. Grachev could fill a hole on 3rd line meaning we would need to get LW to play alongside Stepan and Gaborik. Frolov is a tough one. I want to see how he does alongside Gaborik for the remainder of the season as he could be an option. We could bring him back on a 1 or 2 year deal. If he does well he could price himself out as far as we are concerned.

Noticed couple people putting MZA on 1st line LW. Dont like that at all. People were penciling him in on 2nd line in preseason and look what happened.

Finally - no Richards. No Semin.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 07:14 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Scary to say, but I think the club actually needs Dubinky to slow the pace a bit to be able to afford him. He's on pace for what 78pt season with 46 goals? Same for Callahan, he's right there with him in the stat categories.

Kind of hoping that Sather locks them up long term rather than the 3 yr, or 2 year deals.

Lion Hound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 07:50 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
a conservative lineup, promotion within with some spots to go to FA's. Gilroys a goner, still need more secondary scoring as well but there's capspace for that.

FORWARDS
Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.750m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.100m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.750m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m) / Brian Boyle ($1.500m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
Michal Rozsival ($5.000m) / Marc Staal ($3.975m)
Daniel Girardi ($3.325m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
Pavel Valentenko ($0.550m) / Mike Sauer ($0.650m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) /Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $61,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,900,000; BONUSES: $1,062,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $6,562,500

this leaves space for some deals in FA or one good ($6mill) player, which besides Semin I don't think is available at the moment.
Dubinsky and his camp were asking for $4 million per for 4 years last year...if he finishes with 30+/60+, as he's on pace to do, he gets $4.5 million per...I'd sign on for 5 years/$22 million.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

One thing that really bothers me about the CBA is the lack of incentive to develop your own home grown guys.

Now don't get me wrong a lot of teams are doing it, but look at a team like washington for example. Absolutely awful pre-lockout. Develop 4 stars in Mike Green, Ovi (if you can even say developed lol), Semin and Backstrom. All these guys are warranted big contracts and this offseason Semin may be a goner because Washington can't "afford" him.

I just think its ridiculous that a team puts in so much time, money and effort with certain kids and then just loses them because of the cap.

I mean what happens if all of our kids develop, Kreider, Mcdonagh, McIlrath, MDZ, Dubi, Stepan etc... How are we going to afford to keep all of these guys if they become big game players? Answer is, were not. Some will have to be let go. This really bothers me and is something that should be addressed, similar to the way the NBA deals with it.

I would be really sad to see any of these kids go, especially after they develop into legit NHL'rs just because of cap restrictions.

That said, next year i would dump feds, frolov, gilroy and eminger, sign maybe 1 or 2 FA's and fill other spots internally.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:00 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

CBA expires in 2012 and a lower salary cap is a real possibility.

It's hard to hand out another ridiculous free agent contract when you don't what the rules will be in the next CBA. How much will the players get? Will all one way contracts count against the cap?

Quote:
The uncertainty of what the next collective bargaining agreement will look like in two years has added another challenge.

"We don't even know what the rules will be," Poile said. "If you a sign for the next number of years, what are we signing him into? What system? We can say it's approximately the same system, but what's approximately the same system? Does that have a cap of $53 million or a cap of $60 million, or is it going down to $48 million? Is the players' share at 57 percent or 50 percent? Those are just basic things."
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...key-hall-night

Any idea of the Rangers signing Brad Richards to a stupid free agent contract is absurd. The guy from Newfoundland who has played in major markets such as TB and Dallas is going to have a hard time living up to that new contract. Coming to a new team. New city.

Sign up your key young players. The money is available. When the CBA is settled and you know the rules,then you can add the other pieces. You'll have the expiring contracts of Rozsival and Drury to add those pieces. Expiring contracts are better than gold in the NBA.

Semin or Richards? Some of you never seem to learn your lessons.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:06 PM
NYR Viper

WHat do people think of possibly going after Brooks Laich? He seems like a Torts-type of player and I think he would fit in much better than Frolov does now. I would doubt he would cost THAT much. Maybe around the same thing Frolov makes now? 3-3.5 million. He makes 2.067 now.

On top of all of that the guy has had 3 straight 20+ goal seasons and will be 27.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:31 PM
NYRangers16

Laich is a very solid 2-way player. Other guy I like on the Caps is Bradley..gritty guy.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:43 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
I just think its ridiculous that a team puts in so much time, money and effort with certain kids and then just loses them because of the cap.
Cash-poor teams have been dealing with that for years. Having a cap just means the rich teams sometimes feel the sting too.

And the cap actually puts more emphasis on player development because teams need young, cheap players playing big roles in order to win. Look at the Rangers. We have more homegrown talent in our lineup than we've had since 94. Sather only changed his strategy because the cap gave him no choice.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 06:04 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Kevin Allen of USA Today has a list of the top 15 free agent impact players so far this season

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...terstitialskip

9 players including Fedotenko are signed to 1 year contracts. VALUE. Money Ball. Money Puck.

Quote:
13. Left wing Ruslan Fedotenko (New York Rangers, $1 million): He was minus-17 playing for the Pittsburgh Penguins last season, and he is plus-6 for the surprising Rangers this season. At 31, he's on pace for 50 points, a barrier he has not broken in his NHL career. He has the same point total as Alex Frolov, who makes $2 million more
None of the big money guys. No Kovalchuk. If the Rangers gave Kovalchuk a 15 year/$100 million contract,I would have seriously considered giving up my membership to Rangers nation. No Volchenkov. He looks lost. 6 year deal. Good job Lou. Tallinder didn't get big money but he misses Tyler Myers more than Myers misses him. Another wasted 4 year deal. No Martin and Michalek. $45 million invested in both of them and not a single competent winger to play with either Cindy or Malkin. No Hamhuis. VAN traded for Ballard with 5 years remaining on his contract and he has been a healthy scratch more than once. Aaron Rome and Andrew Alberts are higher on the depth chart than Ballard.

Point is free agency doesn't work. The trading for players with long term deals doesn't work. It's always lets sign this player to a 6 year deal because he's my favorite player and isn't another Gomez or trade for Vinny in TB or Spezza who both have ridiculous contracts.

Go look at the free agent classes since the lockout. You can count the number of good contracts on one hand.

Build through the draft. Develop your players. Sign your players. Pick off a key free agent here and there on the cheap. Better value.

Larry Brooks touched on Dubinsky and Callahan two weeks ago.

Quote:
Dubinsky is in the final year of a two-year deal under which he's earning $1.85 million per. Callahan is in the final year of a two-year deal under which he's earning $2.3 million per. If the Gold Dust twins keep it up the rest of the way, the Rangers have to figure that the combined cap hit on the impending Group II free agents will go from $4.15 million to at least twice that amount on long-term contracts.

That's a primary reason why general manager Glen Sather has to be so careful acquiring players with contracts that go into next year. The 2011 summer cap that will include Wade Redden's $6.5 million charge will loom large in every personnel decision the rest of the way.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz15jFgOq9Y

Old
11-19-2010, 06:30 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Would it be so bad with the Rangers went into the new CBA with a roster consisting of Gaborik,Dubinsky,Callahan,Anisimov,Stepan,Staal,
Girardi,MDZ and Lundqvist as the signed core players?Other young prospects/players ready to contribute. NO BAD CONTRACTS. No Brad Richards,Tomas Kaberle or Joni Pitkanen. MDZ will need a contract in 2012.

The Rangers have $24 million committed for 2012-13. Gaborik. Boogaard. Stepan. Staal. Girardi. Lundqvist. Even if they sign their main guys this summer,they will still have flexibility in the next CBA with the two big expiring contracts. Compliance buyouts for Redden and Boogaard.

Sather extended Lundqvist,Tyutin and Girardi in the winter of 2008. Sather didn't extend Callahan,Dubinsky,Staal and Girardi until they became group II's. Callahan and Girardi filed for arbitration and signed their contracts shortly after filing. Staal and Dubinsky didn't sign until September.

Callahan and Dubinsky plus Boyle and Sauer have until July 5 to file. Hearings don't begin until later that month. It would behoove Sather to get something done with the two main guys before July. Have an idea what it's gonna cost for those two and what money is left over to fill out the roster and re-sign AA.

Old
11-19-2010, 06:30 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Point is free agency doesn't work. The trading for players with long term deals doesn't work. It's always lets sign this player to a 6 year deal because he's my favorite player and isn't another Gomez or trade for Vinny in TB or Spezza who both have ridiculous contracts.
With an 100 per cent certainty I can say that the bolded part is not correct.

-Signing the wrong UFA's don't work.

-Making horrible trades don't work.

-Drafting the wrong player don't work.

Just because Smith and Slats have made horrible UFA signings, you can't assume that UFA's won't work.

I can mention a bunch of teams which have not signed UFA's, and not won. I can mention a bunch of teams which have signed UFA's, and won. Detroit was active on the UFA market. NJD was active on the UFA market. Dallas was active on the UFA market. And so forth and so forth (Not to mention Chicago).

For Boston, a joke of a team, signing Chara and Savard at least got them into the running for a while -- and Chara is still a important part for that team. Lets say that Washington had signed Chara instead of Nyls few years later (and spending money on a bum on the lower lines), would UFA not have worked for them?

Also, we saw a generational shift in the NHL after the lockout. The older vets couldn't adopt + the kids that came in were really really special (Sid, AO, Malkin and many others), you see the same thing in the early 90's with several tremendous drafts (Big E, Forsberg, Bure, JJ, Sundin and many many others went within 3 years or something).

Look;
  • drafting,
  • trading,
  • signing UFA's,
  • trapping, and
  • going all out on the attack;
that sir do not work. Putting a good team on the ice do, however, work. Thats what it is about. You can waste a first overall pick, you can pick up a megastar for a bum in a trade, and you can make a horrible trade. There are no absolute truths. Some teams needs one thing, some teams need another thing.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 06:33 AM
Ola

Quote:
Would it be so bad with the Rangers went into the new CBA with a roster consisting of Gaborik,Dubinsky,Callahan,Anisimov,Stepan,Staal,MD Z,Girardi and Lundqvist as the signed core players?Other young prospects/players ready to contribute. NO BAD CONTRACTS. No Brad Richards,Tomas Kaberle or Joni Pitkanen.

The Rangers have $24 million committed for 2012-13. Gaborik. Boogaard. Stepan. Staal. Girardi. Lundqvist. Even if they sign their main guys this summer,they will still have flexibility in the next CBA with the two big expiring contracts. Compliance buyouts for Redden and Boogaard.

Sather extended Lundqvist,Tyutin and Girardi in the winter of 2008. Sather didn't extend Callahan,Dubinsky,Staal and Girardi until they became group II's. Callahan and Girardi filed for arbitration and signed their contracts shortly after filing. Staal and Dubinsky didn't sign until September.

Callahan and Dubinsky plus Boyle and Sauer have until July 5 to file. Hearings don't begin until later that month. It would behoove Sather to get something done with the two main guys before July. Have an idea what it's gonna cost for those two and what money is left over to fill out the roster and re-sign AA.
That could be a awesome situation for the rangers to enter into the new CBA.

But I wouldn't turn down a guy that makes sense today to have that situation. The key for this team is to get better on the ice.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
With an 100 per cent certainty I can say that the bolded part is not correct.

-Signing the wrong UFA's don't work.

-Making horrible trades don't work.

-Drafting the wrong player don't work.

Just because Smith and Slats have made horrible UFA signings, you can't assume that UFA's won't work.

I can mention a bunch of teams which have not signed UFA's, and not won. I can mention a bunch of teams which have signed UFA's, and won. Detroit was active on the UFA market. NJD was active on the UFA market. Dallas was active on the UFA market. And so forth and so forth (Not to mention Chicago).

For Boston, a joke of a team, signing Chara and Savard at least got them into the running for a while -- and Chara is still a important part for that team. Lets say that Washington had signed Chara instead of Nyls few years later (and spending money on a bum on the lower lines), would UFA not have worked for them?

Also, we saw a generational shift in the NHL after the lockout. The older vets couldn't adopt + the kids that came in were really really special (Sid, AO, Malkin and many others), you see the same thing in the early 90's with several tremendous drafts (Big E, Forsberg, Bure, JJ, Sundin and many many others went within 3 years or something).

Look;
  • drafting,
  • trading,
  • signing UFA's,
  • trapping, and
  • going all out on the attack;
that sir do not work. Putting a good team on the ice do, however, work. Thats what it is about. You can waste a first overall pick, you can pick up a megastar for a bum in a trade, and you can make a horrible trade. There are no absolute truths. Some teams needs one thing, some teams need another thing.
yep.

intelligence is the key. detroit does it every year...they sign big name free agents, they draft well, they do it all.

you can not build through free agency with glen sather as your GM...thats for damn sure.

I still stand firm that Ilya Kovalchuk could have been a great signing for us. His contract would have easily been offset by not bringing back Prospal, nor signing Frolov or Boogaard. IE, the crux of our team would be identical to what it is now...and if we waived White like we should have, its not even a question of him fitting in. His playing style suits Torts' coaching style WAY more than what the Devils preach. too late now though.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 06:23 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

CBA,CBA,CBA

Quote:
Well, you can't mention Stamkos and not the player taken right after him in the 2008 NHL entry draft, Drew Doughty, right? I wrote a few weeks ago that the Kings were drawing up different contract proposals for Doughty's camp. Talks, as far as I can tell, still haven't begun, but one thing I was told Friday is that the Kings at this point are leaning toward a short-term deal instead of the multiyear deals you usually see for these young stars; the reason being that the Kings are weary of the uncertainty of the next CBA. I don't think you can rule out a long-term deal, because, after all, it all depends on the money, but short term is where the Kings are leaning right now.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...rumors-dubious

Very smart by LA but you would think Doughty is the one guy worth anything you pay him. Not a blank check.

Sather didn't go crazy in the summers of 2003 and 2004 before the CBA expired in September 2004. 1 year deal for Martin Rucinsky and then 3 years plus an option for Michael Nylander which ended up being Sather's best free agent signing as Rangers czar. The Rangers had a handful of players signed heading into the lockout.

I read on Friday afternoon Sather was on the Rangers trip. Dubinsky's agent Kurt Overhardt is based in Denver. Agents usually attend games played in by their clients.

Quote:
Brandon Dubinsky was one of the first Rangers off the bus and through the doors on ice level, followed by Glen Sather, unlit cigar in hand---little surprised to see him on this trip---and the rest of the team.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...5?showAll=true

Mike Sauer's agent Ben Hankinson is based on Minnesota and he already tweeted about being at the game last night.

Old
11-21-2010, 09:55 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
yep.

intelligence is the key. detroit does it every year...they sign big name free agents, they draft well, they do it all.

you can not build through free agency with glen sather as your GM...thats for damn sure.

I still stand firm that Ilya Kovalchuk could have been a great signing for us. His contract would have easily been offset by not bringing back Prospal, nor signing Frolov or Boogaard. IE, the crux of our team would be identical to what it is now...and if we waived White like we should have, its not even a question of him fitting in. His playing style suits Torts' coaching style WAY more than what the Devils preach. too late now though.
Agree on everything especially Kovalchuk. He would have been a great fit here, but Richards would be even better, and fill a greater need.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 10:03 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
CBA expires in 2012 and a lower salary cap is a real possibility.

It's hard to hand out another ridiculous free agent contract when you don't what the rules will be in the next CBA. How much will the players get? Will all one way contracts count against the cap?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...key-hall-night

Any idea of the Rangers signing Brad Richards to a stupid free agent contract is absurd. The guy from Newfoundland who has played in major markets such as TB and Dallas is going to have a hard time living up to that new contract. Coming to a new team. New city.

Sign up your key young players. The money is available. When the CBA is settled and you know the rules,then you can add the other pieces. You'll have the expiring contracts of Rozsival and Drury to add those pieces. Expiring contracts are better than gold in the NBA.

Semin or Richards? Some of you never seem to learn your lessons.
But the whole point is that pieces like Richards don't become available very often. You keep talking as if signing Richards is akin to any other free agent signing this team has made. It's not. Not even close. It's apples and oranges. There is no lesson to learn because the free agent mishaps of the past were players that were obviously not worth the money. Why not look at Gaborik? He was a free agent signing. Was that a mistake?

Also, I don't buy the market thing for a second. No one cares about hockey here, but even if there was a lot of pressure...why worry? The key is that unlike Gomez and Drury and Redden, Richards is worth the money, because he is that good. They never were, which is why they should never have been signed in the first place.

No one here is pushing for Richards more than me, but you're responding as if this is what I do every year. I've never supported them signing any big name free agent except for Kovalchuk in the past. The only free agents that you should shell out cash to are the ones that are worth the money, and Richards certainly will be. A combination of Richards and Gaborik would give us one of the top 3-4 first lines in the league. This team's style fits his game perfectly, and he fills the team's biggest need. The Johnny Cakes connection is there, too. It would be a perfect fit.

And again, the question must be asked, who else in the league is going to be able to offer Richards such an enormous contract. He'll definitely get nice money, but it's not going to be as huge a contract as you're afraid of.

Old
11-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
But the whole point is that pieces like Richards don't become available very often. You keep talking as if signing Richards is akin to any other free agent signing this team has made. It's not. Not even close. It's apples and oranges. There is no lesson to learn because the free agent mishaps of the past were players that were obviously not worth the money. Why not look at Gaborik? He was a free agent signing. Was that a mistake?

Also, I don't buy the market thing for a second. No one cares about hockey here, but even if there was a lot of pressure...why worry? The key is that unlike Gomez and Drury and Redden, Richards is worth the money, because he is that good. They never were, which is why they should never have been signed in the first place.

No one here is pushing for Richards more than me, but you're responding as if this is what I do every year. I've never supported them signing any big name free agent except for Kovalchuk in the past. The only free agents that you should shell out cash to are the ones that are worth the money, and Richards certainly will be. A combination of Richards and Gaborik would give us one of the top 3-4 first lines in the league. This team's style fits his game perfectly, and he fills the team's biggest need. The Johnny Cakes connection is there, too. It would be a perfect fit.

And again, the question must be asked, who else in the league is going to be able to offer Richards such an enormous contract. He'll definitely get nice money, but it's not going to be as huge a contract as you're afraid of.
It really all depends on what kind of money he is looking for and how much cap space we will have. Even if he goes for something like 6.5 x 4, do we have the cap space with so many raises due (Dubi, AA, Cally, Boyle, Sauer)?

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Point 1; Richards is 30 years old. If we sign him to a 5 year contract, he will be 35 when it expires.

Point 2; hes gonna get paid. I'd think 6.5 mil at least, possibly 7.5 since this is Slats we're talking about here

Point 3; If we sign him, not only do we neglect bigger problems in terms of a top line LW and RW depth, but we would need to somehow make Drury dissapear, or trade Rozy (Think of the state of our defense) if we wanted to keep all of our RFA's (not including Gilroy)

Having Richards would really help this team. But I think the opportunity cost here is higher than his value would be.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 12:22 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Point 1; Richards is 30 years old. If we sign him to a 5 year contract, he will be 35 when it expires.

Point 2; hes gonna get paid. I'd think 6.5 mil at least, possibly 7.5 since this is Slats we're talking about here

Point 3; If we sign him, not only do we neglect bigger problems in terms of a top line LW and RW depth, but we would need to somehow make Drury dissapear, or trade Rozy (Think of the state of our defense) if we wanted to keep all of our RFA's (not including Gilroy)

Having Richards would really help this team. But I think the opportunity cost here is higher than his value would be.
On what planet are lack of a top line LW and RW depth bigger problems than lack of a #1 center?

This team's biggest needs, in order, are a #1 center and a #1 right-side defenseman. We have Kreider, Thomas, MZA coming soon on the wings.

And yes, I'd definitely trade Rozsival and live with state of our defense to get Richards. That's not even a consideration. Mike Sauer is not a fluke. Valentenko is coming. If we don't trade for Richards and just sign him, we won't have to give up McDonagh. If your top line includes Richards and Gaborik, and your second line is Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan, you have an excellent top two lines, plus all our great bottom six players. You have Lundqvist. You don't need to have the best defense if your goaltender and forwards are both excellent, which would be the case if we had Richards.

Gaborik and Lundqvist are both in their primes now. The team has to take the next step soon. This semi-rebuild can't go on forever. You need a playmaker to win in this league, and Richards is one of the best in the world.

Old
11-21-2010, 12:34 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
On what planet are lack of a top line LW and RW depth bigger problems than lack of a #1 center?

This team's biggest needs, in order, are a #1 center and a #1 right-side defenseman. We have Kreider, Thomas, MZA coming soon on the wings.

And yes, I'd definitely trade Rozsival and live with state of our defense to get Richards. That's not even a consideration. Mike Sauer is not a fluke. Valentenko is coming. If we don't trade for Richards and just sign him, we won't have to give up McDonagh. If your top line includes Richards and Gaborik, and your second line is Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan, you have an excellent top two lines, plus all our great bottom six players. You have Lundqvist. You don't need to have the best defense if your goaltender and forwards are both excellent, which would be the case if we had Richards.

Gaborik and Lundqvist are both in their primes now. The team has to take the next step soon. This semi-rebuild can't go on forever. You need a playmaker to win in this league, and Richards is one of the best in the world.
I'd absolutely give up Rozi for Richards too. In addition to being a legitimate #1C, Richards plays the point on the PP, and is a phenomenal PP quarterback. Bringing in Richards doesn't only improve the first line, it vastly improves the PP.

My only concern is that Richards is supposedly looking for a six to seven year deal. I really wouldn't want to go over five years.

EDIT: Give up Rozi as in his roster spot (due to his cap hit). Obviously Richards costs more than Rozi, even as a rental.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Reason its bigger is because organizationally, Stepan and Anisimov are much closer to becoming a #1 center than anyone we have at LW is to becoming a top line LW.

You get Richards, you've got RIchards, Stepan, Anisimov, Drury, Boyle, Christensen down the middle, and only Dubinsky, Avery, Boogaard down the left hand side.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote