HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

On Boyle, Rozsival - Surprising Stats

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-18-2010, 03:24 PM
  #1
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard
 
Wraparounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,325
vCash: 500
On Boyle, Rozsival - Surprising Stats

http://www.fromtherink.com/2010/11/1...rprising-stats

Quote:
Goals Rangers forward Brian Boyle had four goals in each of his three NHL seasons. This year? The 6-7 center has eight goals in 18 games, including the first two power play tallies of his career.


Quote:
Shots Rangers defenseman Michal Rozsival has more missed shots (13) than shots on goal (12) through 15 games.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:25 PM
  #2
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,844
vCash: 500
Boyle will score 20+ goals and not record an assist.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:39 PM
  #3
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 15,290
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
seems obvious now why Rozy has not been shooting.

Hopefully the shoulder heals enough to let loose from the point more often.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:52 PM
  #4
bscharf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Thats because Rosy is shooting from the blue line.

Hes obviously going to miss from that far out a couple times. you cant knock his shot, its great.

Give the guy a break. Hes played great.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:59 PM
  #5
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
I like the avatar wraparounds.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 06:59 PM
  #6
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
What am I missing with Rozsival, what is it that everyone is in love with?

I do not hate the guy at all. I think he's a class act and he has been a good Ranger.

But people keep throwing around the word good and great when describing aspects of his game, I dont see it.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 07:15 PM
  #7
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
Thats because Rosy is shooting from the blue line.

Hes obviously going to miss from that far out a couple times. you cant knock his shot, its great.

Give the guy a break. Hes played great.
He's played great defense. Honestly though, I think he's terrible at picking when to shoot. His shot itself is well above average but sometimes it looks like he has no idea when to use it.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 07:32 PM
  #8
Evolved83
Registered User
 
Evolved83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
What am I missing with Rozsival, what is it that everyone is in love with?

I do not hate the guy at all. I think he's a class act and he has been a good Ranger.

But people keep throwing around the word good and great when describing aspects of his game, I dont see it.
I am with you on that. I actually have been paying closer attention to him since everyone keeps mentioning what a great job he is doing(prior to injury of coarse), but I don't buy it. Don't get me wrong, I think he is ok, but he is certainly not as good as some people make him out to be.

Hopefully he will shoot more from the point when he gets back...

Evolved83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 08:15 PM
  #9
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved83 View Post
I am with you on that. I actually have been paying closer attention to him since everyone keeps mentioning what a great job he is doing(prior to injury of coarse), but I don't buy it. Don't get me wrong, I think he is ok, but he is certainly not as good as some people make him out to be.

Hopefully he will shoot more from the point when he gets back...
I hear ya man, I have no problem with the guy. I dont think his play is hurting us or that he's a problem on this team (other than the contract). But I just dont see what people are talking about.
When I watch him I always feel like he slow on his skates, he's slow to make passes, he never shoots.
Of course he's almost always in position on D because at even strength he doesn't get involved in the offense at all. He keeps one foot on the blueline afraid to try anything in the offensive zone. He's the definition of average.
Sure it bothers me that people boo him, because he really seems like a good guy, but he's way overhyped here.

People say he'd be hard to replace, but I'd take plenty of cheaper guys over Rozsival.
Lydman, Enstrom, Hainsey, Siedenberg, Leopold, Regehr, Pitkanen, Liles, Toots, Robidas,...... and on and on and on....

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 09:03 AM
  #10
HVPOLARBEARS19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY
Country: Israel
Posts: 2,054
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Rozy drives me crazy. In the Buffalo series a few years back, he really looked good...it looked like he may be turning the corner and become a legit top pairing defender.

However, he has regressed since then. I don't hate him like others do, but he is very frustrating to watch. He takes boneheaded penalties at the most inopportune times, more than anyone else on the team. His shot selection is god awful, and while his shot might be "good", it's not accurate. On defense he's been decent, and I'm not going to hate on him back there, but when he gets the puck at the point, you might as well just give it to the other team because it's going to be wide by 3 feet.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:08 AM
  #11
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,871
vCash: 500
It still boggles my mind how professional hockey players can miss so often when shooting from the point.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:10 AM
  #12
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,233
vCash: 50
Rozy has shot it wide intentionally several times this season.

It is the one area where he frustrates me though. He often takes so long to shoot that the team/goaltender has time to get into position.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:16 AM
  #13
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Rozy has shot it wide intentionally several times this season.

It is the one area where he frustrates me though. He often takes so long to shoot that the team/goaltender has time to get into position.
that's the only area where he frustrates you? I am with these guys. He is slow, indecisive and not nearly physical enough. He is a stick checking machine which takes him to the box way too often. He doesn't sacrifice his body to block shots like a few other d-men and is in my opinion below average. The only thing that makes him serviceable is his experience. I think that last year when the booing began people were too hard on him and now there appears to be a knee jerk reaction in the opposite direction to support him when his game (after a few good ones early) is back to being below average. I hope that Torts sees that we are playing better without him and gives other guys more ice time and reduces Rozi's when he's back. Move him if possible.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:19 AM
  #14
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
that's the only area where he frustrates you? I am with these guys. He is slow, indecisive and not nearly physical enough. He is a stick checking machine which takes him to the box way too often. He doesn't sacrifice his body to block shots like a few other d-men and is in my opinion below average. The only thing that makes him serviceable is his experience. I think that last year when the booing began people were too hard on him and now there appears to be a knee jerk reaction in the opposite direction to support him when his game (after a few good ones early) is back to being below average. I hope that Torts sees that we are playing better without him and gives other guys more ice time and reduces Rozi's when he's back. Move him if possible.

Are you going to hijack every thread with your hatred for Rozy? You don't like the guy we get it, but theres a lot of positives to his game that no one else in the system or on the roster brings to the table right now.

Also, just to note....please break up your posts

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:21 AM
  #15
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
And Rozi at -4 has the worst plus/minus on the team. the only other d-man with a minus is Eminger at -1. He's having a great year; yeah right. Top 4 D-man? not anymore.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:22 AM
  #16
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Are you going to hijack every thread with your hatred for Rozy? You don't like the guy we get it, but theres a lot of positives to his game that no one else in the system or on the roster brings to the table right now.

Also, just to note....please break up your posts
This is a Rozi/Boyle post. why are you so defensive? I would like to see him replaced with a younger d-man with actual potential. Why take it as a negative?

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:23 AM
  #17
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
And Rozi at -4 has the worst plus/minus on the team. the only other d-man with a minus is Eminger at -1. He's having a great year; yeah right. Top 4 D-man? not anymore.
And who in your mind should take his spot.

Plus minus, imo means nothing, especially when its Rozy who has been up against the first lines of the other teams.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:30 AM
  #18
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
And who in your mind should take his spot.

Plus minus, imo means nothing, especially when its Rozy who has been up against the first lines of the other teams.
Let me first say that I do not see us as a contender. With that in mind, I would move Rozi (hopefully free up cap space in the deal), promote either McD, Valentenko or Kundratek and play Gilroy everyday to find out once and for all what he can do. Eminger and the newly promoted D-man would be used based on how they are playing and who were are playing.

to say Rozi is playing against the other team's top line isn't really true. If plus/minus doesn't mean anything why is it the first stat that is quoted come Norris time? And why have Girardi and Staal (who are really playing against the other team's top players) managed to be plus players?

You hit me for being hateful, which I'm not. I would ask you why are you so supportive of this guy? To say that plus/minus doesn't mean anything for a guy who generates nothing on the PP and isn't a great penalty killer seems silly to me.

This will be my last negative post on Rozi because as you said I've made my point and you get it.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:46 AM
  #19
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 7,773
vCash: 500
i find all this rozy stuff rather amusing.

saves me alot of typing...

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:58 AM
  #20
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Let me first say that I do not see us as a contender. With that in mind, I would move Rozi (hopefully free up cap space in the deal), promote either McD, Valentenko or Kundratek and play Gilroy everyday to find out once and for all what he can do. Eminger and the newly promoted D-man would be used based on how they are playing and who were are playing.

to say Rozi is playing against the other team's top line isn't really true. If plus/minus doesn't mean anything why is it the first stat that is quoted come Norris time? And why have Girardi and Staal (who are really playing against the other team's top players) managed to be plus players?

You hit me for being hateful, which I'm not. I would ask you why are you so supportive of this guy? To say that plus/minus doesn't mean anything for a guy who generates nothing on the PP and isn't a great penalty killer seems silly to me.

This will be my last negative post on Rozi because as you said I've made my point and you get it.
Girardi and Staal are not paired together when Rozy is in the lineup. Its Staal and Rozy often times, and they usually do play against the other teams top line.

Second, plus minus is rarely focused upon anymore at all and is definitely not the first stat looked at for Norris contenders. If that was the case then wouldn't Malik have been a contender for numerous years? And also Rozy, because his plus-minus was huge the seasons Jagr was hear. It's a completely misleading stat.

And the reason I am supportive is because Rozy has been one of our best d-men this season, if not the best. The only guy i would say has been better than him is Girardi.

As i said yesterday, regardless of what you think about us being contenders, the Rangers are a team that plays to win, because of management and impatient fans, therefore, we are not going to throw McD or Vtank into the lineup when we have an established d-man like Rozy

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 11:06 AM
  #21
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Girardi and Staal are not paired together when Rozy is in the lineup. Its Staal and Rozy often times, and they usually do play against the other teams top line.

Second, plus minus is rarely focused upon anymore at all and is definitely not the first stat looked at for Norris contenders. If that was the case then wouldn't Malik have been a contender for numerous years? And also Rozy, because his plus-minus was huge the seasons Jagr was hear. It's a completely misleading stat.

And the reason I am supportive is because Rozy has been one of our best d-men this season, if not the best. The only guy i would say has been better than him is Girardi.

As i said yesterday, regardless of what you think about us being contenders, the Rangers are a team that plays to win, because of management and impatient fans, therefore, we are not going to throw McD or Vtank into the lineup when we have an established d-man like Rozy
You say plus/minus is rarely focused on anymore and then use a five year old example. Pretty sure that Lidstrom's, Chara's et al plus/minus is a major contributor to their Norris trophies.

So, aside from your opinion that Rozi has played well what would you point to? has he scored any big goals or set up any important ones. I'm interested in what you value in a defenseman aside from logging minutes.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 11:09 AM
  #22
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Girardi and Staal are not paired together when Rozy is in the lineup. Its Staal and Rozy often times, and they usually do play against the other teams top line.

Second, plus minus is rarely focused upon anymore at all and is definitely not the first stat looked at for Norris contenders. If that was the case then wouldn't Malik have been a contender for numerous years? And also Rozy, because his plus-minus was huge the seasons Jagr was hear. It's a completely misleading stat.

And the reason I am supportive is because Rozy has been one of our best d-men this season, if not the best. The only guy i would say has been better than him is Girardi.

As i said yesterday, regardless of what you think about us being contenders, the Rangers are a team that plays to win, because of management and impatient fans, therefore, we are not going to throw McD or Vtank into the lineup when we have an established d-man like Rozy
Also, Staal and Girardi play together when we face a top heavy team where there is one line that requires alot of attention like the Devils or San Jose or Washington. When we face Pittsburgh with two great centers, Torts breaks them up. Rozi plays with Staal by default because the other right handed d-man is a rookie not because he is a great option. The focus in our D is how do we get Staal and Girardi out against the opposition's best; not Rozi. You must see that.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 11:13 AM
  #23
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
You say plus/minus is rarely focused on anymore and then use a five year old example. Pretty sure that Lidstrom's, Chara's et al plus/minus is a major contributor to their Norris trophies.

So, aside from your opinion that Rozi has played well what would you point to? has he scored any big goals or set up any important ones. I'm interested in what you value in a defenseman aside from logging minutes.

I point to a five year old example because if it wasn't releveant then, why would it be now?

I value a d-man, not on his ability to score goals (unless your a Leetch, Souray, Mike Green type) but on their ability to heck, play D?

Rozy is not Chris Pronger and i never expected him to be, I also expect around 30 points from him a season which he generally gets (barring last year). He has played physical on D this year (yes physical, if you havn't noticed this, than you havn't been watching) and he's been pretty good shut down and in the corners.

He's not the fastest or flashiest guy out there but hes very capable of what he's doing.

Rangers fans always need their whipping boy and apparently this is the guy for most of you.

Im done trying to change your mind. if you can't see through your biased hatred for him and just accept the fact that he's played well this year,. then i don't know what to tell you.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 11:13 AM
  #24
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
we are not going to throw McD or Vtank into the lineup when we have an established d-man like Rozy
But if we trade Rozy, then we can give those guys a shot. Fans are impatient generally, but these days we see the light at the end of the tunnel and any move that makes sense to that 2 or 3 year plan will be acceptable. Plus, Ranger fans appreciate that Rozi logs the minutes but if him being traded helps us move forward I wouldn't expect that torches will be lit and marching will begin.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 11:15 AM
  #25
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,233
vCash: 50
McDonagh and Vtank couldnt even beat out Gilroy, or Eminger this year. No way in hell they could beat out Rozsival

This guy has been one of our best for 5+ years. And we're better playing Gilroy right now? Lol. Hockey anaylsis failure.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.