HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers in talks to acquire Jarome Iginla

Old
11-19-2010, 01:55 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
If there is one player in the league that is in desperate need of a change in scenery, it's Jerome Iginla.

For far too long the Calgary management has been incompetent in icing a good squad. I think Iginla can play til his late 30's and maybe even 40. He's in amazing shape. Better than 90% of the league. He is also the best leader in the game.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
is this sarcasm?
Considering it's Calgary, no.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:56 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
we fleeced him once we can do it again!
Right on brother!!

Sather is a genius when it comes to trades.. and Sutter is well not a genius when it comes to trades!!... This could be another steal of a trade for Sather.. I like the Rangers chances a lot between these (2) GM's doing a deal..

Iginla is 33 years old so he has some years left. He is or was a captain with plenty of skill, grit and leaderhsip who is probably aching to win a cup. Get him Slats!

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:58 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Iginla was a great player. But this isn't 5 years ago. Do we really want to throw 7M at him for the next two seasons? Is he really going to score 30+ goals next year and the year after? If not, we're just trading one Drury for another....not to mention we'll still have the original Drury for half of those years. That's a big gamble...too big imo.
This is exactly how I feel. Iginla is a shell of his former self, and it would be silly to trade for him with that cap hit. It wouldn't be as bad as the Redden signing, but the sentiment is the same... acquiring a player who is past his prime at an absurdly high cap hit.

And I must echo the belief that Drury didn't like Calgary and there's no way in hell he would go back there. I'd be truly shocked if Drury doesn't finish out the duration of his contract here. I don't even think Glen will ever ask him if he would waive his NMC.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:00 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Drurys not going to Calgary.

Where does this cap room come from then?
Potentially, Frolov, White and Gilroy = $7.225 million in cap hits...and, you could waive Christensen. The problem becomes next off-season, and trying to re-sign Dubinsky, Callahan and Anisimov. In reality, you likely have to move Roszival in a separate deal, so we are talking about a lot of roster shuffling. Plus, Iginla is a RW, and you've got Gabs and Cally in the top two RW slots. Cally could move to LW, and Dubi could move up to the line. But, now you're disrupting team chemistry. Even with Iginla, I'm not sure this team jumps to Cup contender status.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:03 PM
NYR Viper

For people trying to prove that the Rangers are going to have cap problems just skip this season. They would be able to fit Iginla this season. Its next season where the problems will occur.

Just sending down White and involving Gilroy in the package = 4.125 million right there. They have 1.5 million in cap space already. Thats 5.625. They would need to clear another 1.375 million to fit him exactly.

Next season, with the raises to Dubi, Anisimov, Boyle and Callahan is where the problems arise.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:04 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Potentially, Frolov, White and Gilroy = $7.225 million in cap hits...and, you could waive Christensen. The problem becomes next off-season, and trying to re-sign Dubinsky, Callahan and Anisimov. In reality, you likely have to move Roszival in a separate deal, so we are talking about a lot of roster shuffling. Plus, Iginla is a RW, and you've got Gabs and Cally in the top two RW slots. Cally could move to LW, and Dubi could move up to the line. But, now you're disrupting team chemistry. Even with Iginla, I'm not sure this team jumps to Cup contender status.
Wow, you and I posted pretty much the same thing.....

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Hah, I can definitely belive the Rangers are shopping Gilroy but there's no way Callahan gets traded for anything less than a young first line player (as part of a package, not straight up).

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:06 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Wow, you and I posted pretty much the same thing.....
SPOO-KY!

Old
11-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

White is one thing. Replacing expiring guys cap hits with Iginla makes signing the pack line very difficult.

Drury isnt going anywhere, especially not the Flames

Rozy, well, unless we get Staios back, and I dont even know if he is an adequate replacement.

If we did White, Rozsival, Gilroy, McDonagh, + for Iginla + Staios,

meh, who knows. I'll believe they are talking when I see it brought up by more than one source.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Marc Staal

Only young Dman I would give up is Gilroy.

To be honest I would just give him and a bad contract to Calgary for free.

Marc Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:12 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan18nyr View Post
Only young Dman I would give up is Gilroy.

Why not Sauer?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:12 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
White is one thing. Replacing expiring guys cap hits with Iginla makes signing the pack line very difficult.

Drury isnt going anywhere, especially not the Flames

Rozy, well, unless we get Staios back, and I dont even know if he is an adequate replacement.

If we did White, Rozsival, Gilroy, McDonagh, + for Iginla + Staios,

meh, who knows. I'll believe they are talking when I see it brought up by more than one source.
The Flames didn't want Gilroy last year. There is only one cheap asset in that deal...try selling that to your fanbase. I would think aside from sending Frolov, you'd have to part with a young non-roster forward, say Grachev, Werek, or even Horak or Hagelin. And, you likely send a D-man that actually interests Calgary...could also be Valentenko or Kundratek. You might even have to add Washington's 2nd round pick. Maybe, it's a three-way deal, where Calgry ends up spinning Roszival for a cheap asset. Maybe Staois comes back in the deal, and then Gilroy gets waived.

Old
11-19-2010, 02:13 PM
TreeSapLlama

Didn't read through the whole thread, but being from the area, I have to suffer through a lot of Flames games.

Iginla looks like a shell of his former self. I won't rule out that he can't return to form, but I would much rather try and get a player like Brad Richards.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:16 PM
lbrowne

Guys I live in Calgary, and I have to say based on what I see here in this city, Jarome still got it and got several years left in the tank.

He DEFINITELY needs a change of scenery considering what has happened around him in the last few years. We're not talking Chris Higgins or Redden change of scenery.

So much blame and negative attention gets directed his way and rightfully so when you're a Captain, but I think it's time for him to move on. Calgary is a sinking ship and the Sutterite colony is going with it. To me so much has gone on that he's now disconnected from the city, it's been a long dry run for him here.

The second he puts on a Ranger sweater he will bleed Ranger blue instantly. His tenacity will be reignited. Book it.

As long as it doesn't involve our young core, I'm all for bringing Iggy here. Everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:17 PM
pwoz

No way Drury waives his NMC, plus lots of players need raises next year PLUS Redden counts on the summer cap.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Claxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
For people trying to prove that the Rangers are going to have cap problems just skip this season. They would be able to fit Iginla this season. Its next season where the problems will occur.

Just sending down White and involving Gilroy in the package = 4.125 million right there. They have 1.5 million in cap space already. Thats 5.625. They would need to clear another 1.375 million to fit him exactly.

Next season, with the raises to Dubi, Anisimov, Boyle and Callahan is where the problems arise.
Thats the real pissoff right there.

Finally good enough to build a supporting cast around or add that over the top elite player but then a sickening shot to the gut as their combined raises will likely be +6-7 million.

And with Wade's 6.5 right back on that summer cap for the next 3 years

Claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:18 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I think this is doable.

I was going to post in some thread the other day that this team is one more legit scoring forward away from being a serious team. I really believe that. You have dubinsky having a monster year. I dont think its a simple hot streak he is on. Dubi has elevated his game to another level this year. Callahan as well building off last year. You already have gabby. Add Iginla to the mix and you have solid scoring. Our D has been solid this year thus far. It really has. Yeah theres been some miscues by MDZ but other than that Girardi looks like a new man out there. Staal is Staal. Rosie is a strong veteran presence.

I dont think your going to see rosie or drury in this deal.

I do believe you'll see either Gilroy or VTank/McD going. Maybe Gilroy AND one of the other two.

I see white either being included or sent down.

And then the rangers throwing a prospect forward, possibly grachev? I love grachev but this might be the time to deal him.

You have to remember that Iginla is 33 with a big contract. He's not 28. Calgary can ask for the moon if they like and thats when you hang up the phone. The deal has to be reasonable. We're also not competing with the devils for him. If he goes to the kings you can live with that.

Preferably I;d go with something like this:

Gilroy
VTank
Grachev
White (or just send him down)

for

Iginla
draft pick

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I'd think Sutter would want Mcdonagh instead of Gilroy. But yeah, its not a good fit. There are cheaper options for us, IMO.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'd think Sutter would want Mcdonagh instead of Gilroy.
I'm sure he would.

11-19-2010, 02:28 PM
ogie

Any trade talks that involve iginla need to be taken with a huge grain of salt. I would assume that if they trade Iggy and don't get something good back in return that the Calgary fans will run the Sutters out of town.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:29 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
Any trade talks that involve iginla need to be taken with a huge grain of salt. I would assume that if they trade Iggy and don't get something good back in return that the Calgary fans will run the Sutters out of town.
I wouldnt be surprised with the way sutter makes deals

Old
11-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Draft Guru

Makes zero sense.

If I'm Sather I wouldn't entertain the thought for a second.

This team needs a #1 center, not another sniper on the wings. We have enough problems trying to figure out who's going to center and set up Gaborik.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Randizzle

If you're going to go after me then please include the stories i broke way before any media outlets & also remember the HATERS are all over Twitter & probably on this site as well > Hi Haters

Oh yeah go check Islanders board, i broke the Gordon firing a full 4 days before it happened & had the day he would be fired etc... Oh yeah i had Moss being traded before any1 > Wade Phillips on October 11th when every1 said "Jerry Jones Does Not Fire Coaches Mid-way Through Year"

So once again as i said on Twitter , 2 Sources have in fact gained information that the Rangers are "interested" in Iginla & when Calgary decides to make a move they will be in it with the Kings & any other teams that might want in on the bidding.

Iginla Will Be Traded > That is 99% according to 1 of the sources (Hockey Lifer with ties to Brent Sutter)

Nothing Imminent!!!

Hi Haters > - Oh WFAN (Francessa) talked Hockey (Islanders) yesterday because of me! Do not underestimate my connections

Last edited by Randizzle: 11-19-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Randizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:33 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Makes zero sense.

If I'm Sather I wouldn't entertain the thought for a second.

This team needs a #1 center, not another sniper on the wings. We have enough problems trying to figure out who's going to center and set up Gaborik.
Gaborik isnt the type of player that needs to be setup. He uses his wrist shot more than his slap shot and rightfully so. He can carry the puck all the way up the ice coast to coast and create space for himself. He creates his own opportunities. He was wide open a few times the other night against Boston. A couple times were from passes by Frolov. I think a lot of people over value the need for a center.

What we need is a second legit scorer to take the load off gaborik. Iginla does that.