HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Khabi placed on IR - Gerber called up

Old
11-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Gusher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakkoTime View Post
No, Gerber just doesn't have to clear regular or re-entry waivers. He is a bit of a unique situation.
Delauriers would have had to clear re-entry.

-Takko
Waivers are quite the unique situation indeed.

But Gerber had to clear waivers to go to OKC at the beginning of the season. But since he didn't play in the NHL last season, perhaps that prevents him from having to go on re-entry waivers.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Hairball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmask83 View Post
TSN is making it seem like we are screwed. LOL. I'll take my chances with Dubnyk. TBH. In the games he's played he's looked fine.
That's what I was thinking.

Worse...or...Better?!

Hairball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 07:52 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

vCash: 50
Gerber is the best goalie in the Oilers organization so I'm looking forward to seeing him in net. Khabby was a ticking injury time bomb... and I'm surprised he lasted this long. Do not pass go... go directly to jail Khabby. He should do his time and put that behind him and hopefully he can mend his injuries and start fresh again down the road.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
Waivers are quite the unique situation indeed.

But Gerber had to clear waivers to go to OKC at the beginning of the season. But since he didn't play in the NHL last season, perhaps that prevents him from having to go on re-entry waivers.
You are correct...that and the fact he doesn't make more than 105k in the minors..

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 08:52 PM
otto84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_Gretzky View Post
Ha, I really don't think it takes a math nerd to figure that one out. 3.75 million / 18 games. Done.
Lol! I was thinking that right after I posted. I should've clarified that it's more out of laziness.

otto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 08:59 PM
barnabyrules

So who is going to get the majority of starts while Khabby is out? Dubnyk seems like the logical choice, but most of you are implying Gerber will get the starts. Which is it? Also, any initial timetable for Khabby?

barnabyrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:01 PM
otto84

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabyrules View Post
So who is going to get the majority of starts while Khabby is out? Dubnyk seems like the logical choice, but most of you are implying Gerber will get the starts. Which is it? Also, any initial timetable for Khabby?
Gotta ask Renney about that one.

otto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:06 PM
orangeshinpads
Katz isa manipulator

Contract aside, I have nothing against Nikolai as a goalie, but it might be good for the team to have a chance to settle in with Dubnik for a while, and see what Gerber's up to as well.

Good time for a change in team terms.

Let's see DD become a top drawer net plug!

orangeshinpads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Giant Moo

When I was little I used to have these books of BASIC games, and one of them was a Evel Knievel game where you jumped a motorcycle and then got various injuries. One of those injuries was "broken pride", which I didn't quite understand as how that could be an injury.

Does Khabibulin have a Broken Pride?

Edit:

I found it!

http://www.atariarchives.org/morebas...e.php?page=111

Last edited by Giant Moo: 11-18-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:13 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
When I was little I used to have these books of BASIC games, and one of them was a Evel Knievel game where you jumped a motorcycle and then got various injuries. One of those injuries was "broken pride", which I didn't quite understand as how that could be an injury.

Does Khabibulin have a Broken Pride?
Not sure if it's Broken Pride, but facing 25 to 30 shots in the first period of every game and looking at Struds/Vand/Gilbert as the only thing stopping the next shot, I'm sure there is something that may eventually break. Perhaps sanity? Geez, for a weaker person I believe this would drive a man to drink!!!!

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:48 AM
SChan*

but...but what about the importance of having good players down in oklaholma so they have a winning franchise?

Now I understand how hard it is to be a fan of an AHL team.

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:15 AM
Jmask83

I think the way the Oilers are allowing shots they could of used 3 goalies. They could have used them like MLB teams use pitchers. Have one guy play each period.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:27 AM
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅||̲̅̅●̲̅̅|

vCash: 300
I wonna see more of Dubnyk anyways.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:33 PM
BernieParent

Just site wandering. Any thought of changing Khabibulin's nickname to the Bulin Well?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:18 PM
yukoner88

vCash: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Just site wandering. Any thought of changing Khabibulin's nickname to the Bulin Well?
the Berlin Wall

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Juice

I hope this time around the coaching staff realizes that this is what is expected of an 37 year old goalie with massive injury problems is bound to do. Same excuses both years; "Khabibulin gives the team the best chance to win". Ok so if that is the case why not try to manage him properly. Last year the team was hell bent on making the playoffs so they played him all the time. This year the team was hell bent on being as competitive as possible in the rebuild so they played him all the time. One has to think that maybe the philosophy of Utilitarianism could of been used here. So in order to try and achieve the teams overall outcome, they manage Khabibulin's starts more carefully and play him in a 60/40 rotation with Devan Dubnyk. That way they can keep him healthy in order to actually stay in goal for more games over an entire season. That being said this is all hypothetical he could of easily have gotten injured 4 games into the year, but strangely he gets injured almost the exact number of games as he played last year.

Overall I think the team just has to realize that the are terrible in front of him(has been the case for the last two years, or more). If they want to be competitive they just actually get some adequate NHL defenceman or forwards who can help in the defensive end, so neither goalie has to face 20 shots a period and 8 breakaways because Jason Strudwick can't make a 10 foot pass or turn backwards. I am pretty sure I am not the only one who realizes that this team cannot play defensive hockey. I just wonder if the coaches and management have realized that by now?

Juice is offline   Reply With Quote