HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LeBrun, ESPN: Price's answer to doubters: winning

Old
11-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Hermamoud

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I think pretty soon people are going to start realizing Timmins isn't bad in the 1st round either.... Kostitsyn playing the way he has, Price as well.

I mean we all can't forget lower picks like Subban and Plekanec either.

Imo the myth needs to be put to rest now. Plus if he had any influence on Pouliot or even Eller... remains to be seen how well these guys can even play yet.
Didn't Savard draft Plekanec?

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 04:43 PM
onice

Quote:
I think pretty soon people are going to start realizing Timmins isn't bad in the 1st round either.... Kostitsyn playing the way he has, Price as well.

I mean we all can't forget lower picks like Subban and Plekanec either.

Imo the myth needs to be put to rest now. Plus if he had any influence on Pouliot or even Eller... remains to be seen how well these guys can even play yet.
Was not a Timmins pick. A. savard picked him.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
Here's the thing. You can play well as a goalie and still not put up great stats because of overall team defense not helping you. You can make key saves/game saving stops and still but up bad numbers. Halak isn't doing that right now.

If you have watched the last 4 to 5 STL games, you will realize that his stats are a combination of injuries, brutal team D and Halak being very ordinary. Even if you disregard his stats, his play isn't up to par right now.
I've seen every Blues game (and Habs game, and Oilers game, and likely a few others... god love hockeystreams.com), and yeah, I realize that. You say Halak has looked ordinary, and I can agree with ordinary - he has looked that way for a couple of games behind the remaining young and inexperienced d-corps. Kriss E says Halak has actually looked quite poor. I think his stats in some games have looked poor, but I don't think he has, necessarily. I mean, Conklin, a career 0.911 as one of the better backups around, was brought in to relieve Halak last game and the Red Wings made him look just as "awful".

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 04:50 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Was not a Timmins pick. A. savard picked him.
I think Savard also picked Kostitsyn. Gainey was made GM around May 2003, so I'm guessing he didn't have much input in that year's draft.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I've seen every Blues game (and Habs game, and Oilers game, and likely a few others... god love hockeystreams.com), and yeah, I realize that. You say Halak has looked ordinary, and I can agree with ordinary - he has looked that way for a couple of games behind the remaining young and inexperienced d-corps. Kriss E says Halak has actually looked quite poor. I think his stats in some games have looked poor, but I don't think he has, necessarily. I mean, Conklin, a career 0.911 as one of the better backups around, was brought in to relieve Halak last game and the Red Wings made him look just as "awful".
Um, Conklin didn't play last game. Halak had the full 60 minutes against the Wings. You are talking about the 7-3 Wings game right?

I don't think Blues and Wings played another game yet.

EDIT: Yea just double checked the box score. Halak did play the full 60. http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2010020263

Were you refering to another game?

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 05:12 PM
LouisJCloutier

Very good read !

I'm very happy for Price. To have been able to perform like this after everything that happen.....you need to be strong to live through that !

LouisJCloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Next Best Thing*

Wow LEBRUN is RIGHT ON.

Watch the video, near the end he compares Carey to Thomas to prove a good point. Sorry I didnt read the article, I must imagine the same thing is eing said? Carey Price is super technical.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Um, Conklin didn't play last game. Halak had the full 60 minutes against the Wings. You are talking about the 7-3 Wings game right?

I don't think Blues and Wings played another game yet.

EDIT: Yea just double checked the box score. Halak did play the full 60. http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2010020263

Were you refering to another game?
He must be talking about the Colombus game, that's the only one I could think of that made sense.

But yes, Halak HAS been playing pretty bad lately, regardless of how his team played in front. Just against the Wings, obviously there was the first goal but that's a fluke that shouldn't happen again for a long time so let's ignore it. But Cleary's first goal was a shot, not tipped, with nobody in front from the board near the blue line. That's a goal that just shouldn't go in. Zetterberg's goal, while the defense was pretty bad in just letting him go in front, is another goal that you would expect a solid goaler to stop since again it was a shot with no one in front (that was actually the problem!) and it was not like a perfect top net shot hitting the inside of the post, it was a shot on the shortside that good positioning should take care of.

And it's not like these 3 goals were the # 5-6-7 and it didn't matter so much anymore. They were all goals that had a significant impact on the momentum of the game.

For the others I won't really criticize him cause blasts from the point with people in front, tipped or not, are just basically random goals. The goaler can't do anything else than take a position and hope it hit him, and then it's a % chance, sometimes you're lucky sometimes you're not, nothing to blame the goaler on.

So ya, he has been pretty weak in the last few games. He seems actually to have the same problem that people criticized Price about : one bad/fluke goal goes in (was it against Colombus that one of the early goals was like a shot from the board that hit his skate and went in when it had no business to?) and then he just seems off his game for the rest of the match.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Andy

Ahh for the love of God can we please stop talking about Halak in threads that deal with Price.

Honestly, get the **** over it.

In his first season Jesus Price came into the nhl in and performed miracles.
In the latter end of the second and the entire third season Jesus Price in the was crucified.
In his fourth season, Jesus Price resurected!

Followers of Jaroslav Allah do not believe that Jesus Price is the saviour. To prove their point they are willing to die for him.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
He must be talking about the Colombus game, that's the only one I could think of that made sense.

But yes, Halak HAS been playing pretty bad lately, regardless of how his team played in front. Just against the Wings, obviously there was the first goal but that's a fluke that shouldn't happen again for a long time so let's ignore it. But Cleary's first goal was a shot, not tipped, with nobody in front from the board near the blue line. That's a goal that just shouldn't go in. Zetterberg's goal, while the defense was pretty bad in just letting him go in front, is another goal that you would expect a solid goaler to stop since again it was a shot with no one in front (that was actually the problem!) and it was not like a perfect top net shot hitting the inside of the post, it was a shot on the shortside that good positioning should take care of.

And it's not like these 3 goals were the # 5-6-7 and it didn't matter so much anymore. They were all goals that had a significant impact on the momentum of the game.

For the others I won't really criticize him cause blasts from the point with people in front, tipped or not, are just basically random goals. The goaler can't do anything else than take a position and hope it hit him, and then it's a % chance, sometimes you're lucky sometimes you're not, nothing to blame the goaler on.

So ya, he has been pretty weak in the last few games. He seems actually to have the same problem that people criticized Price about : one bad/fluke goal goes in (was it against Colombus that one of the early goals was like a shot from the board that hit his skate and went in when it had no business to?) and then he just seems off his game for the rest of the match.
Nah he was referring to Wings game in his post.

And I agree with you on your points concerning the Red Wings game. I'm sure he would like some of those goals back.

Halak isn't solely to blame here. He hasn't helped his cause with some softies but in the end, there's only so much one goalie can do.

Funny, people never gave Price that courtesy last year.

Like Kriss E said, Vezina discussions are definitely on hold for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Ahh for the love of God can we please stop talking about Halak in threads that deal with Price.

In the latter end of the second and the entire third season Jesus Price in the was crucified.

Followers of Jaroslav Allah do not believe that Jesus Price is the saviour. To prove their point they are willing to die for him.
They are like Ying and Yang (wow ******* can you tell I'm Asian? lol). Where one is, the other is will certainly follow.

Old
11-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Good article by Lebrun, was interesting to read his father's comments. I can't imagine how upset he might have been (or still be) at habs fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
I think Savard also picked Kostitsyn. Gainey was made GM around May 2003, so I'm guessing he didn't have much input in that year's draft.
Gainey =/= Timmins.

Pretty sure Timmins was hired by A. Savard...

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Nice to see a young star goalie staying with a Canadian team.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post

"He's doing really well," Price said. "I knew he was going to. That's why I put a lot of preparation into this year. I'm always going to be compared to him; it's just the way it is because of what he did last year. There's no way around it. I'm happy for him that he's doing well."

Personaly, im getting more sick of people always saying "lets stop bringing up halak all the time" because EVEN PRICE acknowledges, not only will they be compared THIs year, but probably FOREVER because of the trade alone. "Its just the way it is" as price said, Halak will always be brought up in these kinds of conversations, and yes it will annoy SOMe people, but theres nothing anyone can do about it, people will bring halak up, and halak will be compared. Im happy price said that.

i hate sometimes that they are compared ona NIGHTLY basis, but to compare year by year for the next couple of seasons, i would not have a problem with

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Nah he was referring to Wings game in his post.
Yeah, but I DID mean the Columbus game (kind of obviously, as it was the last time they split a game). Conklin didn't do very well against the Coyotes the next game either, though. I watched the game yesterday, which is probably why I typed Red Wings.

Old
11-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Yes, I said Halak has played rather poorly and I was referring to his recent stretch. I really don't see why you want to argue that he's been ordinary rather than poor during that stretch.
You don't have to defend Halak every time buddy. He's been having a tough time and it's normal when you have so many key injuries on your team. But he also hasn't been playing as well as he did for us when we went through injuries. I don't care how stats can often be misleading, allowing 17 goals in his last 3 regulation time losses is bad. His own goal translate well his recent cold streak.

And what I meant by inconsistent is that he often had a weaker showing after 4-5 good ones. It certainly isn't horrible, but it's still considered inconsistent. No matter how you want to spin it, he also was an unproven #1 keeper in the league. Neither Price nor Halak were #1 goalies in the league prior to this season.

Anyways, I don't want to have a debate about Halak again. I had a chance to speak with a Scout for the Dallas Stars at the end of the summer and he pretty much confirmed what I just said, that he's still seen as inconsistent and unproven throughout the league.
PS: He also told me we could have had more for Halak had we waited until the season started. But, he's also aware that it meant re-signing both keepers, and that it might not have been something either goalie agreed with. He also acknowledged that it would have made things even harder to manage considering we had to re-sign Plek + fillers.

I'm sure things will get better for Halak. I have little doubt that he will become a good #1 goalie in this league.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:39 AM
BlackStar

I'm very happy with how the Org. has developed Carey Price.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:41 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
Price is looking better than Halak now but I still think they shouldve kept both at least until the deadline to try to get as much as you can.
And what if Halak or/and Price played terrible? For numerous other reasons, it was wise to trade Halak at the time Gauthier did.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:04 AM
TheBourkeIdentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
"He's doing really well," Price said. "I knew he was going to. That's why I put a lot of preparation into this year. I'm always going to be compared to him; it's just the way it is because of what he did last year. There's no way around it. I'm happy for him that he's doing well."

Personaly, im getting more sick of people always saying "lets stop bringing up halak all the time" because EVEN PRICE acknowledges, not only will they be compared THIs year, but probably FOREVER because of the trade alone. "Its just the way it is" as price said, Halak will always be brought up in these kinds of conversations, and yes it will annoy SOMe people, but theres nothing anyone can do about it, people will bring halak up, and halak will be compared. Im happy price said that.

i hate sometimes that they are compared ona NIGHTLY basis, but to compare year by year for the next couple of seasons, i would not have a problem with
I mostly agree. I don't give a rat's ass if people compare them, what I dislike is the way some supporters of each need the other to fail to justify their faith in their choice.

TheBourkeIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
Price is looking better than Halak now but I still think they shouldve kept both at least until the deadline to try to get as much as you can.
I doubt they would have both re signed here. The way Walsh has been he would have wanted Price out of Montreal before re signing with the Habs.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Yes, I said Halak has played rather poorly and I was referring to his recent stretch. I really don't see why you want to argue that he's been ordinary rather than poor during that stretch.
You don't have to defend Halak every time buddy. He's been having a tough time and it's normal when you have so many key injuries on your team. But he also hasn't been playing as well as he did for us when we went through injuries. I don't care how stats can often be misleading, allowing 17 goals in his last 3 regulation time losses is bad. His own goal translate well his recent cold streak.

And what I meant by inconsistent is that he often had a weaker showing after 4-5 good ones. It certainly isn't horrible, but it's still considered inconsistent. No matter how you want to spin it, he also was an unproven #1 keeper in the league. Neither Price nor Halak were #1 goalies in the league prior to this season.

Anyways, I don't want to have a debate about Halak again. I had a chance to speak with a Scout for the Dallas Stars at the end of the summer and he pretty much confirmed what I just said, that he's still seen as inconsistent and unproven throughout the league.
PS: He also told me we could have had more for Halak had we waited until the season started. But, he's also aware that it meant re-signing both keepers, and that it might not have been something either goalie agreed with. He also acknowledged that it would have made things even harder to manage considering we had to re-sign Plek + fillers.

I'm sure things will get better for Halak. I have little doubt that he will become a good #1 goalie in this league.
I don't defend Halak as I tend to reply to, well, errors and misconceptions. First of all, he HAS had a tough time. I've had a tough time, though, realistically picking out too many of these goals that he should be expected to stop.

Secondly, I get the "weaker showing every 4 or 5 games". What is the NHL average, would you say, among starters. And what does "off"/"weaker" mean? I've seen 6 goals allowed where the goalie has looked good the whole way, and I've seen 1 goal games where I was glad for the goalie that more shots didn't make it through.

Thirdly, it doesn't really matter if either had worked their way up to bonafide "starter", I don't think it is a stretch to believe that everyone saw Halak as being at least that 1 half step closer than Price after last season. That means something, too.

Fourthly, we already have verification from Halak that he would have come back and played for the Habs for the same money he got in St. Louis. I don't care about the financials, but obviously Halak was willing to come back to a team that included Price. If you are concerned about whether "the goalies" would agree to it, you might as well just drop the charade and clearly state your concern with whether or not PRICE would agree to it.

And finally, I don't care what some "Dallas scout" offered as far as league-wide opinion on them. That's like someone going on the HF mainboards and offering opinion as if it comes from all Habs fans... just because they read it once or twice on our board first.

Old
11-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Nidema

Ummm why are we talking about Halak in a thread praising Price?

Some people just can't let go of their bias against Price and choose to cover it up with long winded posts.

Old
11-20-2010, 04:44 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Ummm why are we talking about Halak in a thread praising Price?

Some people just can't let go of their bias against Price and choose to cover it up with long winded posts.
Or whatever. Sometimes you just get engaged in conversation.

Old
11-20-2010, 08:27 AM
neofury*

Seriously though I don't mind that they get compared but make a comparison thread then or something. Halak lovers need to stop crashing every pro Price thread.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Andy

Quote:
Seriously though I don't mind that they get compared but make a comparison thread then or something. Halak lovers need to stop crashing every pro Price thread.
I totally agree. It's super annoying that every thread has to become yet another debate where we have to a. talk about Price's play last year b. talk about Halak's PO run 3. Talk about the trade 4. Talk about what we could have got 5. Talk about Halak's play this year.

But we never ever stay on ****ing topic. I've had it with all these ******** Halak fans. I don't mind the comparisons either, but stop bringing him up in ever ****ing Carey Price thread.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote