HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Olesz has broken finger, won't play Saturday

Old
11-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Olesz has broken finger, won't play Saturday

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...nd-is-out.html

Quote:
The Panthers held an optional practice at Northeastern University in Boston today. Rostislav Olesz did sustain a broken middle finger when he took a puck off it last night. He is out for Saturday’s game against the Islanders and will be re-evaluated when the team returns to Florida.
No moves are expected with Darcy Hordichuk and Michal Repik available.
Olesz has one point in the last six games. David Booth has no points in the last six games.

11-19-2010, 05:52 PM
ursavolta

sucks.. would be interesting to see how the cats deal with this one.. olesz to me was one of the few players we have on the team that can contain the puck amongst the boards pretty well..

hopefully booth picks up his game..

not really excited about repik if he were to be called up..

ursavolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursavolta View Post
sucks.. would be interesting to see how the cats deal with this one.. olesz to me was one of the few players we have on the team that can contain the puck amongst the boards pretty well..

hopefully booth picks up his game..

not really excited about repik if he were to be called up..
He's been up, played against Atlanta, and is the 2nd in points in the AHL.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 07:01 PM
ursavolta

yeah i know, i thought he was first in the ahl.. what i meant, was "called up" for the nyi game tomorrow..(i thought he was sent back to rochester for the boston game for some odd reason.. i apparently can't read..)

not really excited about him really..

i wouldn't care if he was amazing in rochester.. saw him when he was playing with us (maybe last year? i forgot.. ) and i wasn't feeling his play..

i liked how he took his weak play in the preseason tryouts and turned it around with a chip on his shoulder..

i would give him a chance on the ice for a couple games..but i really don't think hes going to go far in the nhl..nothing personal.. i hope he tears it up with the cats and proves me wrong.. but ehh.. not feeling him as a player..i think anyone could knock him down with a sneeze..at 5'10 you have to show speed, smarts and goals.. hopefully he can do that... but i don't see him producing that type of effect on the ice..

but thats my opinion.. PFFT what do i know? (nothing if you were wondering)

ursavolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 07:28 PM
I May Be Wrong
Could Be Right?

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursavolta View Post
yeah i know, i thought he was first in the ahl.. what i meant, was "called up" for the nyi game tomorrow..(i thought he was sent back to rochester for the boston game for some odd reason.. i apparently can't read..)

not really excited about him really..

i wouldn't care if he was amazing in rochester.. saw him when he was playing with us (maybe last year? i forgot.. ) and i wasn't feeling his play..

i liked how he took his weak play in the preseason tryouts and turned it around with a chip on his shoulder..

i would give him a chance on the ice for a couple games..but i really don't think hes going to go far in the nhl..nothing personal.. i hope he tears it up with the cats and proves me wrong.. but ehh.. not feeling him as a player..i think anyone could knock him down with a sneeze..at 5'10 you have to show speed, smarts and goals.. hopefully he can do that... but i don't see him producing that type of effect on the ice..

but thats my opinion.. PFFT what do i know? (nothing if you were wondering)
Repik, despite his size is a feisty player. He goes into the corners, and works hard. He isn't really soft. He's naturally gifted with the puck. If he is given time to really play and acclimate, there is no reason why he can't contribute imo.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

According to GR, we're bringing up Bill Thomas from Rochester.

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 07:28 AM
Georgia Panther

Any thoughts on a player with hands of stone that repeatedly injures them?

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 07:58 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
According to GR, we're bringing up Bill Thomas from Rochester.
Who?

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 08:58 AM
KWGoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Any thoughts on a player with hands of stone that repeatedly injures them?
Your joke is a year late. Olesz has been good this year, one of our best with the puck.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
Your joke is a year late. Olesz has been good this year, one of our best with the puck.
How many goals has he scored? Two. That's what i mean by hands of stone. How many open nets has he missed? Of course i could say the same about Booth this year, he has 5 but should have 10 with the chances he has had this season.

Old
11-20-2010, 10:59 AM
KWGoon

Quote:
How many goals has he scored? Two. That's what i mean by hands of stone. How many open nets has he missed? Of course i could say the same about Booth this year, he has 5 but should have 10 with the chances he has had this season.
Last season RO had 29 pts in 78 games, 0.37 ppg. So far he's got 9 in 17, 0.53 ppg, and is 6th on team in points. Big improvement in points, and a bigger improvement in every other area. Anyone who's watched the games knows he's brought a different game and a different attitude. He's finally beginning to play like his contract says he should have for the past 2 years.

I've been one of RO's most vocal critics for years but this year he's not to blame.

Old
11-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Last season RO had 29 pts in 78 games, 0.37 ppg. So far he's got 9 in 17, 0.53 ppg, and is 6th on team in points. Big improvement in points, and a bigger improvement in every other area. Anyone who's watched the games knows he's brought a different game and a different attitude. He's finally beginning to play like his contract says he should have for the past 2 years.

I've been one of RO's most vocal critics for years but this year he's not to blame.
He has to score at least 20 goals to play like his contract says he should. He's on a pace to net 10. Never said Olesz wasn't a useful player, just an overpaid one for what he does. He's the present day Rob Niedermeyer though Niedermeyer at least had 26 goals one season for the Cats.

Old
11-20-2010, 11:20 AM
KWGoon

Quote:
He has to score at least 20 goals to play like his contract says he should. He's on a pace to net 10. Never said Olesz wasn't a useful player, just an overpaid one for what he does. He's the present day Rob Niedermeyer though Niedermeyer at least had 26 goals one season for the Cats.
Absolute bullcrap. Olesz has improved his game more than almost anyone. He's been the primary set up guy on several slick passes that lead to goals, his defense is better, he hits. He still has some distance to go to fully play up to the contract money, that is true, but he's clearly on the right track.

Old
11-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Absolute bullcrap. Olesz has improved his game more than almost anyone. He's been the primary set up guy on several slick passes that lead to goals, his defense is better, he hits. He still has some distance to go to fully play up to the contract money, that is true, but he's clearly on the right track.
That's your opinion. My opinion is unless you're at least a Selke Trophy
nominee, you better net at least 20 goals to justify a $3.125 million dollar salary cap slot for the next four seasons.

Old
11-20-2010, 11:56 AM
KWGoon

Quote:
That's your opinion. My opinion is unless you're at least a Selke Trophy
nominee, you better net at least 20 goals to justify a $3.125 million dollar salary cap slot for the next four seasons.
Yes it is my opinion that your focus on goals only is short sighted in this particular case, when past performance needs to be considered.

I never agreed with the contract he was given, it was a big mistake. However, this season, for the first time, Olesz is lessening the pain considerably and visibly. That's why I said that your whining is a year late.

Old
11-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Laus723
Future Now

I've been happier with Olesz and his performance this season, but I'd still like him off the team sooner than later. Imo, he's not someone who'd going to help this team get over the hump. We need better players, and we need guys to get on this team who can, some players are going to have to go, and he's one I'd like to see go.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote