HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What's your go-to breakaway move?

Old
11-18-2010, 09:10 PM
MatthewT

vCash: 500
go down the right side (lefty) and try to go off the far post or little fake then back to backhand

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 10:21 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
5 hole almost always works for me. Most goalies I play against suck when you make them move laterally and their stick comes off the ice. It feels good when you score cause you're basically telling the goalie he's not that good at his position and I can score on you whenever I want with almost no effort.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 10:47 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
Yeah, that's my go to move when I go for the deke, except I'm right handed. My backhand sucks from further out, but in close on a deke I can roof it very consistently.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Briere Up There*

This or this.

Sometimes I just put the puck in my glove and drop it on the ice, then shoot the glove with the puck in it into the net. Other times I'll just pull out a gun and force the goalie to get out of the way.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:49 PM
puck noob

im a right handed shot, but if the goalie is back in his net, i just snipe wherever is open and if he is on top of the crease I will usually go forehand backhand.

puck noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Wease

I've always liked going top left (so over most goalie's gloves), but my better move is to get closer and move slightly to that side and then go low stick side. Works pretty well and most goalies don't defend well against it...

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:57 AM
keslehr*

Fake shot, go to the forehand, then shoot it 5-hole as the goalie is moving.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Devil Dancer

Almost always five hole. At my level it's usually open.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

The other one I enjoy doing is from in between the circles, ripping a slapshot as hard as possible top left, usually high blocker.

Clarkington III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Scottyk9
I love to hockey.

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Fall over and be embarrassed thats my move

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 11:51 PM
the_speedster

Only in my dreams am I graceful enough to pull this off

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 12:07 AM
10 ft. pole

Fake the shot going right then pull it across and knock the water bottle off with my backhand. Backhand is my best shot.

If I catch a goalie cheating on the short side I like to come down the off wing fast and just chuck it up off the post/crossbar. Always gets the ooohhs and ahhhs.

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 03:39 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Every shootout move I do I start skating a few strides down the right side( I'm a right hander) then I quickly turn and crossover and go completely across the ice and head down the left wing. I got this from watching a feature on Kristain Huselius and he said he likes to get the goalie moving side to side to start to throw him off. Does it work? I have no idea but it sounds good in theory.

Then my go to move is a leg kick to try to tell a shot, go to the backhand and try to sell it and then quickly pull it to my forehand and either try to stuff it if there's room or attempt to lift it over the pad if he has the post covered.

A funny story about this move and shootouts. Over the last 6 months or so I have faced this one goalie in shootouts literally about 6 times and I have scored on him every single time using this move. By now I'm sure he knows it's coming. So this last time I came in like I always do leg kick, backhand to forehand except this time at the last second I brought it back to my backhand. I almost did too many moves and got myself all tangled up. But the goalie bought it hook, line and sinker. I head him say "Oh ****!" when I went back to the backhand. I was off balance and could only muster a dinky little backhand but I literally had the whole net open so it didn't matter. Pretty good feeling when you outsmart the goalie.

That's my move too, leg kick, then if the goalie goes for it I go to the other side and score, if the goalie doesn't buy the fake shot / leg kick, I deke one side, then go back to the other side. Work's almost every time, I'm 2 for 2 in the shootouts for my beer league People call it the Crosby leg kick, but I learned it from a Rock'em Sock'em video. There is a clip of Selanne scoring on a breakaway or penalty shot.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 05:29 PM
OrangeBlue10

come in with speed and snap it high glove

OrangeBlue10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowToHockey View Post
That's my move too, leg kick, then if the goalie goes for it I go to the other side and score, if the goalie doesn't buy the fake shot / leg kick, I deke one side, then go back to the other side. Work's almost every time, I'm 2 for 2 in the shootouts for my beer league People call it the Crosby leg kick, but I learned it from a Rock'em Sock'em video. There is a clip of Selanne scoring on a breakaway or penalty shot.
Ughhh I hate when people call it that. People did that before him! Heck, I was doing it in street hockey before he was in the NHL! Wouldn't be a problem if Crosby didn't annoy the hell out of me

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 09:35 PM
DoYouBeleaf

Come in and go forehand leg kick backhand forehand.

DoYouBeleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Carter View Post
Ughhh I hate when people call it that. People did that before him! Heck, I was doing it in street hockey before he was in the NHL! Wouldn't be a problem if Crosby didn't annoy the hell out of me
My Dad calls it...well, that's too crude. Something akin to "the dog peeing" given how one leg is raised.

I generally like to snipe high glove when I'm on a breakaway. If I don't feel good about that one, I'll do the leg kick and fake as if I'm going to go to the backhand to roof it to try and sucker the goalie to his side. Then I'll snap back to the forehand and(ideally) slide it into the open side of the net. Works most of the time.

When I'm feeling adventurous, I cut in wide as if I'm going to try and cut across the goal mouth and tuck it in, but I slide it back to my backhand and try to roof it on the near side as I'm going backwards through the crease.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 08:49 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I'm right handed and either come in reasonably close and snipe the top right corner (from my POV) or I fake a shot on the forehand to freeze the goalie and immediately deke backhand.
Exactly this.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 03:41 PM
orange is better
Lattelepjandi lopatr

sometimes ill come in to the right post (im right handed), go forehand to backhand, stop dead at the crease and backhand it far side.
but i usually do the backhand toe drag, then forehand to backhand under the arm.
works every time.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Torquenstein

... pretty bad I guess
Deke left, right, und then try to get it high glove or I try to almost go past the goalie on the left side and then chip it in backhand.

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Islander102

If there is a guy chasing me and I have to go at full speed I go backhand, pause until the goalie moves that way, then pull it back to the forehand. If I have a bit more time, I fake a wrister and roof a backhander. I usually score on breakaways, since one of my (few) strengths is being to out wait a goaltender in pressure situations. Thats more important IMO than having sick hands. If you just have the patience to let the goalie bite, then even with a simple forehand backhand or vice versa, if you can out wait the goalie, youre going to get a wide open net.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 11:21 AM
HoneyNutChelios

right handed shot, coming in from the right side, moving towards the left side snap one opposite side low under glove above pad

HoneyNutChelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyNutChelios View Post
right handed shot, coming in from the right side, moving towards the left side snap one opposite side low under glove above pad
I cant ever do that, even though I pretty much always score on breakaways. I try it all the time in practice and cant pull it off quick/accurate enough.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Hounsy

vCash: 572
I'm a goalie myself. I know a couple of right hand shots that combine the ability to pick high catcher or back hand dek and get it over my pad blocker side. That is a deadly combo together IMO.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:27 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounsy View Post
I'm a goalie myself. I know a couple of right hand shots that combine the ability to pick high catcher or back hand dek and get it over my pad blocker side. That is a deadly combo together IMO.
Yup, as already posted I'm a right handed shot and these are my 2 go-to shootout/breakaway moves. Even if the goalie knows you it keeps them guessing, as I come in the same for both moves, but the goalie needs to react totally differently to stop each one. If the goalie comes out to challenge the shot I'll deke, if he's deep in his net I'll shoot, if he's at a mid distance out I just kinda go on instinct, but probably don't score as much in general.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote