HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects you liked (and why) and who failed to make it.

Old
11-20-2010, 02:47 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

vCash: 500
He wasn't one of our draft picks, but Josef Beranek, was one I thought would be good. I think he's still playing over in his homeland still

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
He wasn't one of our draft picks, but Josef Beranek, was one I thought would be good. I think he's still playing over in his homeland still
He had an amazing first half in 1993-94 but didn't do anything in Philly thereafter. He retired after last season.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 03:13 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
Sittler was called the "safest pick in the draft" by THN at the time.
I don't remember hearing that at all. Interesting.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 03:25 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I like Picard a lot, same with Meyer. Thyought both would be top 4 d men.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 04:19 PM
mypunkrock

Don't know why Peter White never made the big time.

And I still want Frank Bialowis to suit up for the Orange and Black...

mypunkrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 04:52 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
I really thought Pitkanen was going to be an absolute stud. He just seemed to have all the tools, but not all the drive.

I always liked Patrick Sharp as well... really wish we wouldn't have moved him so quick.

Pavel Brendl was the player I was most excited about in the Lindros deal. Really thought that the change of scenery would help him become the star everyone thought he would be.

Even though neither were technically prospects, I really loved Dopita and Cechmanek. Cechmanek didn't necessarilly fail, but I wish they would've held onto him and not given him up.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Jumping

Anyone ever hear of Bob Currie? A #1 draft pick in the best Flyer draft in history.

Given who he was drafted ahead of you'd think he would have been a HOFer.

Disappointing that he didn't make it but might be the most forgotten 1st round draft choice ever.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Normand Lacombe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelValParanormal View Post
Cechmanek didn't necessarilly fail, but I wish they would've held onto him and not given him up.
Cechmanek's teammates had lost all respect for him. They hated him ever since the 2002 Ottawa series when Cechmanek, after giving up a goal, skated to the bench and yelled at them to score goals. Cechmanek had to go. He only lasted in LA for one season before going back to Czechoslovakia.

Normand Lacombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 05:57 PM
jb**

Quote:
He had an amazing first half in 1993-94 but didn't do anything in Philly thereafter. He retired after last season.
Bill, what do you know or remember about Chester Gallant? flyers never even signed him.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 06:09 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
Anyone ever hear of Bob Currie? A #1 draft pick in the best Flyer draft in history.
Given who he was drafted ahead of you'd think he would have been a HOFer.

Disappointing that he didn't make it but might be the most forgotten 1st round draft choice ever.
Clarke slipped in the draft because of his diabetes. The Flyers' GM Keith Allen said of Bob Currier, after watching him for a year, that he lacked proper coaching in the juniors or prior AHL (I forget which or both) but that was an issue with his progression or regression. He was recommended by one of the Flyers' scouts as the top draft pick.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-20-2010 at 06:33 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 09:05 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Patrick Sharp: Loved the way he played..
Luca Sbisa: The name, being Italian doesn't hurt.
Bruno St. Jacques: I don't know why, probably just the name.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 10:44 AM
i am dave

My younger self had an unwarranted fascination with Dominic Roussel that lasts still to this day. I still think he was better than Garth Snow, and definitely better than Tommy Soderstrom.

Roman Malek, I feel, was unfairly never brought over because management had had enough of Czech goalies, especially those named Roman.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 10:47 AM
jb**

he won like 35 games and played well on a bad flyers team in 92. Then just dropped out of the picture really.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 11:07 AM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
I was always a Patick Thoresen fan myself.
yup, me too. i'd love to see the flyers get him to replace carcillo after this year.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 11:46 AM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Always been a fan of Kukkonen and Vaananen. As far as players that I thought would be great impact players for us goes, Ryan Parent. Bummer about all the injuries though. As far as guys that I wanted to succeed that never did, Pyorala.
I LOVED Vaananen. I worked so many Final Fantasy 12 jokes off that name it wasn't even funny...Well it wasn't even funny in the first place, so who cares.

Vaan was one of my favorite players when he played here. He was just a serviceable, reliable, positionally sound d-man. Nothing flashy or anything, did his job, no questions asked.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 12:08 PM
FlyerFire

Dmitri Tertyshny for many reasons and no by no means was he a failure.He had super poise for a rookie and I thought he would be the first very successful Russian player we would ever have.In fact I think in many ways he opened the door for other Russians being here. As well as Clarke not being so involved.Pitkanen reminded me a little of him but alas in the end no.

FlyerFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 06:58 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I still say Pitkanen.

I mean, we kind of forget because he is what he is now, but he really had the talent to be an all-world player.

Really not any weakness in his physical gifts, big, strong, a great skater, good shot, good passer, good instincts, etc. He really had a hell of a year in 05-06, even with the injury and at that time he was 22 and looked like he could be heading towards stardom.
Pitkanen is the premier name on this list, the only guy mentioned in this thread who could have been, as you say, "all world".

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 07:08 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
I LOVED Vaananen. I worked so many Final Fantasy 12 jokes off that name it wasn't even funny...Well it wasn't even funny in the first place, so who cares.

Vaan was one of my favorite players when he played here. He was just a serviceable, reliable, positionally sound d-man. Nothing flashy or anything, did his job, no questions asked.
I know Vaananen was not a prospect so maybe does not apply to this thread, but that was one of the most frustrating cases of a player being mishandled here that I can remember outside of Downie. The guy was very reliable and played some decent minutes with good results for the first 15-20 games of the season and then suddenly Stevens turned on him. It was almost inexplicable.

Either way, Vaananen didn't have a long term future here but on another note Stevens really did a lot of damage to this organization when you look back. Downie is an extremely effective player in Tampa that would fit just perfectly on this roster right now instead of a guy like Powe or Zherdev in the top 9. Upshall did everything the team asked of him and would also look perfect on this team right now.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fletcher 29 View Post
Maxime Oullett
Brian Dobbin
Claude Boivin
Pat Murray
Corey Foster
Jiri Latal
Boivin would have been a pretty good player if it weren't for that nasty knee injury. I remember when I moved here in '86 all everybody talked about was Jiri Latal - he sure as hell got his opportunities in Philly.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:56 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Pitkanen is a good call. The guy no doubt has all world set on both sides of the puck. At times he showed a little bit of a mean streak. Maybe the expectations and the draft comparisons to Lidstrom hurt him.
I think if a team like Carolina, or Florida would have drafted him he would of turned out better then he ended up being here. He just could not deal with the critisism and the booing and the pressure of playing in a town like Philadelphia. Even when he was dealt to Edmonton, I didnt think it would work out for him up there. Hes in the perfect place now

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 05:43 AM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Bill, what do you know or remember about Chester Gallant? flyers never even signed him.
Your basic OHL plumber. Clarke talked up his heart and grit, as well as the fact that Gallant had grown up loving the Flyers. I recall Les Bowen writing in the DN that Gallant was thrilled to put on a Flyers jersey at the draft photo op and didn't want to take it off.

Unfortunately, as it turned out, he didn't have the skills to play pro.

Old
11-22-2010, 07:47 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Just hope we don't relive the same thing with JVR.
The difference -- to me -- is that in the year that shall not be named, Pitkanen was the guy. Sure, we had Hatcher back there as a leader, but Pitkanen was our go-to, do everything guy on defense, and I think he couldn't handle that pressure. In 05-06, he was still surrounded by enough talent (especially during the first half, when Desjardins and Johnsson were still around) and years that he didn't have to be #1 all the time.

JVR will never have to be there any time soon. He doesn't get PP time or PK time at all, though I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him get a shift of PP every now and then. There's no reason and no scenario I can think of where he'll have to carry the team or the forwards on his back. I'm hoping that management and Laviolette let him stay in his support role, and I think that Richie's wing is the best place for him.

The question really is whether or not the Flyers give up on him. At this point, I don't see any reason for them to trade him. It's not like he will clear off enough salary, and there's nothing he's gonna get you at this point that you don't already have--assuming you think Bob is your guy.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 08:48 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Pitkanen is the premier name on this list, the only guy mentioned in this thread who could have been, as you say, "all world".
You could add in Renberg to that, maybe on a tier slightly below Pitkanen. The dude had a monster couple of season to start his career, but never really made it to what we all had hoped for after that injury - consistent first line potential all-star.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
You could add in Renberg to that, maybe on a tier slightly below Pitkanen. The dude had a monster couple of season to start his career, but never really made it to what we all had hoped for after that injury - consistent first line potential all-star.
Mikael just could never stay healthy again after those first 2 1/2 seasons. Whenever he'd start to get on a roll, he'd inevitably break a bone, separate a shoulder or re-aggravate the groin injury.

Old
11-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Mikael just could never stay healthy again after those first 2 1/2 seasons. Whenever he'd start to get on a roll, he'd inevitably break a bone, separate a shoulder or re-aggravate the groin injury.
Sad but true. Renberg's was the first jersey I purchased. I was elated when he returned from Tampa, but he was already not the player he used to be when Clarke traded him the first time. *sigh*

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote