HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN INSIDER: Does Moving Rask Make More Sense?

Old
11-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
i'm not sure what people expect to get when they count on espn for hockey info. beyond bucci, lebrun and EJ, it's a bunch of clownshoes. there's like 9 billion other spots to go first.
But its the place to go for golf coverage.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 09:49 PM
misterjaggers

deleted

Last edited by misterjaggers: 11-19-2010 at 10:27 PM.
misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Lisa Needs Braces

Ok, wait, wait.....there are people on here who do not believe that Rask is worth Stamkos? Stamkos....the guy who is being talked about as having the possibility of scoring 50 in 50 this season?

I'm sorry, but if Stamkos is ever on the market you throw everything you have at Tampa to get him. I'd do Seguin and Rask for Stamkos. Two lots of low risk high reward potential for the 3rd best player in the game right now. Yes Rask and Seguin are both POTENTIAL franchise players (god it hurts saying that from a leafs pov) but you have to account for the fact that most players never reach their full potential. Example being Rask may be a good number 1 goalie (He's already a 1b), like say a Marty Turco, but he won't be a franchise goalie like Miller. You have to go with odds in a case like Stamkos because he is THAT special of a player.

As for actually trading Rask, I don't see how that would solve any kind of cap issues. Furthermore, the goalie market is completely saturated right now. This means for trades, goalies are worth zilch. Think the Halak trade as a similar return that would be gotten for Rask. I think the Bruins are much better off keeping the guy. Its not an awful situation having two number 1 goalies on the roster.

Lisa Needs Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 12:45 AM
HumBucker
HFBoards Sponsor

This card-carrying member of the "Thomas crowd" thinks it would be highly illogical and nonsensical to trade Rask.

HumBucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 12:55 AM
Sir Richard 37
311 Has Grassroots.

Who the hell would trade a young, talented goalie like Tuukka Rask? Oh, right. Sorry Leafs fans.

Sir Richard 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 03:41 AM
TooMuchMan

No. No. No. No. No. No.

Anyone at ESPN who wrote this hogwash needs to get their brain examined. If Boston traded Rask for anything short of Stamkos, it would be a travesty.

TooMuchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 06:18 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Needs Braces View Post
Ok, wait, wait.....there are people on here who do not believe that Rask is worth Stamkos? Stamkos....the guy who is being talked about as having the possibility of scoring 50 in 50 this season?

I'm sorry, but if Stamkos is ever on the market you throw everything you have at Tampa to get him. I'd do Seguin and Rask for Stamkos. Two lots of low risk high reward potential for the 3rd best player in the game right now. Yes Rask and Seguin are both POTENTIAL franchise players (god it hurts saying that from a leafs pov) but you have to account for the fact that most players never reach their full potential. Example being Rask may be a good number 1 goalie (He's already a 1b), like say a Marty Turco, but he won't be a franchise goalie like Miller. You have to go with odds in a case like Stamkos because he is THAT special of a player.

As for actually trading Rask, I don't see how that would solve any kind of cap issues. Furthermore, the goalie market is completely saturated right now. This means for trades, goalies are worth zilch. Think the Halak trade as a similar return that would be gotten for Rask. I think the Bruins are much better off keeping the guy. Its not an awful situation having two number 1 goalies on the roster.
There is a person who posted that, no one else agreed.

Rask would have a much greater return than Halak.

I don't think anyone thinks Boston will deal Rask, even the article that started this thread doesn't make it sound like a real possibility but rather an idea that should get kicked around.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 06:38 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
There is a person who posted that, no one else agreed.

Rask would have a much greater return than Halak.

I don't think anyone thinks Boston will deal Rask, even the article that started this thread doesn't make it sound like a real possibility but rather an idea that should get kicked around.
Montreal traded Halak, first and foremost, to kill the goaltender controversy. Halak was shipped way too fast and the return was not good as it could have been. The Halak trade is not a good comparaison by any means.

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 06:57 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Montreal traded Halak, first and foremost, to kill the goaltender controversy. Halak was shipped way too fast and the return was not good as it could have been. The Halak trade is not a good comparaison by any means.
This. Price and Halak are both young goalies. There is no controversy in Boston like there was in Montreal. They had to make a choice which future the were going to bank on. Thomas doesn't have a future, he's closing in on the end of his career. Rask is the future. It's kind of clear cut here. We slowly faze out Thomas and ease Rask into the starters job.

If we trade Rask we have a serious issue 2 years from now when all of our rookies are starting to hit their stride, we have a real shot at a cup and no good goalie in our system. I would be livid if this team traded Rask almost regardless of the return.

It would be remarkably shortsighted.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 07:11 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
This. Price and Halak are both young goalies. There is no controversy in Boston like there was in Montreal. They had to make a choice which future the were going to bank on. Thomas doesn't have a future, he's closing in on the end of his career. Rask is the future. It's kind of clear cut here. We slowly faze out Thomas and ease Rask into the starters job.

If we trade Rask we have a serious issue 2 years from now when all of our rookies are starting to hit their stride, we have a real shot at a cup and no good goalie in our system. I would be livid if this team traded Rask almost regardless of the return.

It would be remarkably shortsighted.
How long do you think Thomas been hearing this?

I'm not for dealing anyone, but a lot can happen in two years to fill any hole that is created today.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

I like the dynamic we have right now way too much to countenance trading either goaltender. If I had to trade one though, as much as I absolutely adore the guy, it would be Thomas.

Once I could make a call that Rask was ready to carry the whole load, yeah you have to deal from surplus to fill needs, but I'd hold out for the kind of return you can get for "a veteran that will put us over the top" which is what a lot of teams will see TT as at the deadline a year or two from now if he's still playing well, especially as his salary is frontloaded making him really fairly attractive to midmarket and small market teams looking for a little extra talent between the pipes to go on a Cinderella run. Thomas might even relish a prospect like that, especially if he's already gotten to lift the cup in Boston between now and then and Rask has largely taken the team over. He's always wanted to be the one who was front and center when the chips were down.

Frankly I think Thomas is a fair bet to age well and retain his value. He's got some years in the league, but not a lot of mileage per year, I believe the minor leagues and Euro league play less games than the NHL. That, and the dude takes care of himself and has a legendary work ethic and is jealously competitive. Barring catastrophic injury he should still be able to play at a very high level when Rask is ready to come into his own, and I don't think any of his own fans want to see him mouldering on the bench once Rask can be a 70-game guy.

So yeah, the chances TT finishes his contract in a Bruins uniform is slight, and his deal actually gets more attractive the longer we wait as long as TT fulfills his end, thanks to the frontloaded contract. He's definitely the guy who goes, as soon as we're sure Tuukka can carry a team. An I have no problem with that as long as his departure is handled with due respect (by which I mean, get something real for the guy like they did with Wideman that reflects the idea that this isn't just a cap move)

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 08:55 PM
C77

Absolute hogwash as far as I'm concerned....

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Daishi

Quote:
Example being Rask may be a good number 1 goalie (He's already a 1b), like say a Marty Turco, but he won't be a franchise goalie like Miller
This has to be a joke. Rask has the potential to have a brighter career than Miller. Ryan Miller is 30 years old and he won the Vezina last year while not being anything close to the 'best goaltender' in the league before that. This season he has already slumped and is down to an SV 9.09 and doesn't even belong to the all-star game. Rask is 23 years old and he already had Miller's number last year in the playoffs. Tuukka's SV % this season is 9.39 (3rd in league).

Daishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 09:14 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
This has to be a joke. Rask has the potential to have a brighter career than Miller. Ryan Miller is 30 years old and he won the Vezina last year while not being anything close to the 'best goaltender' in the league before that. This season he has already slumped and is down to an SV 9.09 and doesn't even belong to the all-star game. Rask is 23 years old and he already had Miller's number last year in the playoffs.
Ryan Millier has been playing hurt all year

finchster is online now   Reply With Quote