HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Price shut down the Leafs 2-0 for Pat !

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

vCash: 500
Mention Pouliot, end up on my ignore list. The guy has been useless this year; there is no song to sing when it comes to 'skinny Latendresse'.

As far as the unsung: Gorges and Pyatt don't get enough credit. Both are steady, both are sold and both genuinely play with a shift-by-shift approach. Halpern, too, is rather unsung. Gill? I find it takes him 60-or-so games before he reaches his peak, though, he has been playing well of late.

Old
11-21-2010, 07:26 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
What evidence is there that Cherry adds to revenue? Surely there are better analysts. He is a one man freakshow. We are desensitized to his idiocy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
there is nothing ethical about making money.

Old
11-21-2010, 07:47 AM
the vinyl version

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
What evidence is there that Cherry adds to revenue? Surely there are better analysts. He is a one man freakshow. We are desensitized to his idiocy.
TV networks generally have a good idea of what brings in money and what doesn't. The fact that coaches corner has it's own sponsors who run ads right before and after it should give you a clue. They know exactly how much money he makes for them.

Old
11-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Aurel Joliat

Personnally I think HNIC make an amazing job. Their intro are always fabulous with saturday night of Nickelback, the new HNIC theme and some clips like last night about the career of Pat Burns and the rivalry between Toronto and Montreal. They are very professionnal.

And watching Don Cherry is a religion for me. We think the same thing about how hockey have to be play

Old
11-21-2010, 07:54 AM
onice

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
Non profit organizations make money in a very ethical manner!
I'm wondering if you picked up on the contradiction in your statement.

Old
11-21-2010, 08:03 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I'm wondering if you picked up on the contradiction in your statement.
To be fair they still generate money but it's a constant state off purchasing, much like a group who decides to improve the business rather then taking money as profit

Old
11-21-2010, 08:13 AM
That Habs Fan
drive for 25's alive

vCash: 400
Nothing more rewarding than watching that game in a bar in Toronto and applauding whenever Price robbed a Loaf or we scored a goal

Old
11-21-2010, 08:21 AM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
You misunderstood me. It is the CBC's job to be unbiased because they are a publicly funded Canadian network. Don Cherry doesn't belong on National broadcasts because he is not impartial.
I would also argue that Cherry specifically does not increase the ratings. Not sure that many people skip the game and just tune in for his 2 minutes and then switch back to something else.
I don't know how Western Canada likes Cherry, but I lived in Toronto for a decade or so and people there like him and believe what he says, no grain of salt. I liked Toronto, and I got along with Leafs fans, but they believe:

-Cherry is right on all topics and a serious hockey authority who does not get enough air time or respect, he knows hockey and talks to the players daily. Really, he's not just a TV personality...
-Everyone everywhere likes the Leafs, even Montrealers/Edmontonians/Calgarians/NewYorkers really love the Leafs, more than, or at least in addtion to, their own teams
-Leafs news is more important and more interesting to people in other cities than their own teams no matter how bad or how dull the current Leafs edition is
-Gretzky and many other stars were built up as part of a collusion against Toronto (and Gretzky was only a so-so hockey player but no one was allowed to check him)
-They (the fan) will be an integral part of the Leafs next SC parade (OK, this is not delusional a Leafs cup would shut down Toronto for days)
-Harold Ballard was a bad, bad, man (quite logical, actually)
-Kerry Fraser stunk (hmm, another one I agree with)

On the broadcasters' (CBC/TSN) side:

-there are 10 million people in and around Toronto; that is a market worth pandering to and they want Cherry and a serious Leafs bias
-People in Western Canada are in a different conference and play later so TSN and the CBC can have a different crew do the games and not trash their teams, no ratings impact
-Habs fans watch RDS or turn the TV volume down and listen to radio play by play so they can be ignored
-Ads work best on the most delusional people, target those Leafs fans
-No Canadian team has won a cup in 17 years. We are all delusional.

Old
11-21-2010, 08:22 AM
habfaninvictoria

It's too late now but I wonder if Komi would have come on the ice if the fans voted for him as a star....

Old
11-21-2010, 08:54 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
The CBC knows what makes money lol? Revenues have to be compared to the alternative which would be better than Cherry. (Hopefully lol).
Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
TV networks generally have a good idea of what brings in money and what doesn't. The fact that coaches corner has it's own sponsors who run ads right before and after it should give you a clue. They know exactly how much money he makes for them.

Old
11-21-2010, 08:55 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I think all our defensive players are unsung heroes this season.

Hamrlik, Spacek, Pyatt, Darche, Moen, Picard, and Pouliot have all played under the radar.

Pouliot has gotten a little love from his offense, but he's playing solid in all aspects of the game. The other six guys have all been great too.

Hamrlik never gets enough credit. He's arguably our #1 defenseman with Markov out. He's a +4 on the season with 8 points. Spacek, who gets a lot of hate is a +3 with 8 points as well.

Picard has also been logging extra minutes since his return. He was averaging about 14 1/2 minutes per game before, and since his return he's averaging 18 minutes per game. He's a +8 in 12 games.

The other players have been contributing very well offensively, while playing a smart game or having been great defensively with very few weaknesses.

I hate that these types of players never get much hype.

I will say Lapierre played well tonight, but its his first good game in awhile. Probably because he was removed from a "scoring" line.
Good post. Agree with everything.

Old
11-21-2010, 09:09 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
The CBC knows what makes money lol? Revenues have to be compared to the alternative which would be better than Cherry. (Hopefully lol).
Give those 2-3 minutes to Scotty Bowman and you'd see sponsors lining up to pay. There are a number of great hockey minds out there with an ability to articulate thoughts in a coherent manner. The late Pat Burns would have been perfect in that role.

Old
11-21-2010, 09:13 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Give those 2-3 minutes to Scotty Bowman and you'd see sponsors lining up to pay. There are a number of great hockey minds out there with an ability to articulate thoughts in a coherent manner. The late Pat Burns would have been perfect in that role.
Coaches corner makes a killing because look at when its on, saturday night at around 9pm, who goes to bed around 9pm? 5-10 year olds with there dads. I should know thats how I remember it all those years ago id sit on the couch with my dad and we'd watch coaches corner and then i had to go to bed. They are primarily advertising to the fathers of these children, hence why you get both moores ads and slightly more expensive liquor

Old
11-21-2010, 09:31 AM
the vinyl version

Quote:
HNIC makes massive amounts of money. That's a fact.
By your logic all TV shows should take off their top rated shows because something else could do better.
You're an outsider. You have no idea what goes into gauging the success of a television program or segment. Don't pretend you do.

Old
11-21-2010, 09:37 AM
No Team Needed

Mike Komisarek's father Roman was there for a Friday fathers and sons event in Montreal.

One must wonder if he was glad to be in Montreal again

Old
11-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Turboflex*

absolute domination by the habs, the leafs looked pathetic last night. The difference in talent really shows.

The stats make the game look respectably close, but in reality it was all the CH. The Leafs got a few extra PPs which padded their shot total, otherwise they'd have like 20. It woulda been like 5-0 if the Habs had any kind of clutch from all the times they were buzzing the Leafs' net and missing open net setups.

Too bad the NHL doesn't keep time of possession stats, cuz it would probably be something like 45:15 in the Habs favour. The Habs' superior talent really showed, they were ont he attack most of the match, skating circles around Toronto in their zone, and when Toronto did get a chance to counter attack it would be 1 or 2 guys vs. 3-4 habs, and they'd have to change lines.

Toronto is a lottery team, just brutally bad.

Old
11-21-2010, 10:16 AM
sampollock

nice to see the figs lose,

and the figs suck, nice work komi

Old
11-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
HNIC makes massive amounts of money. That's a fact.
By your logic all TV shows should take off their top rated shows because something else could do better.
You're an outsider. You have no idea what goes into gauging the success of a television program or segment. Don't pretend you do.
You're talking about Saturday night Hockey. You could put a blind paraplegic donkey on the ice, CBC would still earn some money.
But considering they're not that dumb, bring in a younger, savvier hockey mind, and you'll probably end up having more sponsors.

RDS switched from annoying Pedneault to moronic Brunet, does it look like they're losing money or listeners??..

It's not like the people have the choice of watching a different channel to see people discuss hockey. Same thing with CBC.

No matter who is the host, analyst, cameraman, director or wtv, people will keep watching saturday night hockey on CBC.

Old
11-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I think through the first quarter of the season it should be pretty unanimous that Price has been the best goaltender in the NHL. Some will argue Thomas, but really he is only a part time starter and as such Price's minutes make his stats much more impressive imo.

Old
11-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I think through the first quarter of the season it should be pretty unanimous that Price has been the best goaltender in the NHL. Some will argue Thomas, but really he is only a part time starter and as such Price's minutes make his stats much more impressive imo.
Thomas has played about 3x the amount of Rask...that isn't really what I call a part time starter.

But I do agree, there's no doubt, Price has been the best in the NHL. Mainly because of the crazy pressure that was on his shoulders. Being booed in the 1st period of the 1st preseason game and coming out like he did was incredible.

I never understood why people questioned his mental toughness. What this kid had accomplished in his previous years at such young age required remarkable mental toughness. Yet, many, or should I say most, didn't think he had the mental strength to succeed in our market. I think they just forgot that this guy was just a 20yo kid, barely out of his teenage years, and that maturity comes with age.

It's still not a given though, we're only 20games into the season. Long way to go. But he's looking amazing, no doubt.

I had told my friend after Martin's signing here, expect our goalies to look amazing. Halak showed it last year, Price is doing an even better job this year.

Old
11-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
More like it would be unanimous that the Montreal Canadiens through the first quarter of the season are the team that have made the deepest committment to team defense, and that combined with a quantum leap in Price's personal performance, and playing within the weakest offensive division in the NHL, has made Montreal one of the leagues strongest defensive squads.

Old
11-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Bigfinn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
Ooops Carey did it again!
should be Ooops Komi did it again lol

plz take him back haha

Old
11-21-2010, 02:21 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Milles View Post
Mention Pouliot, end up on my ignore list. The guy has been useless this year; there is no song to sing when it comes to 'skinny Latendresse'.

As far as the unsung: Gorges and Pyatt don't get enough credit. Both are steady, both are sold and both genuinely play with a shift-by-shift approach. Halpern, too, is rather unsung. Gill? I find it takes him 60-or-so games before he reaches his peak, though, he has been playing well of late.
Yes, nine 9 points in 20 games for a bottom six player playing in his second full NHL season is terrible.

Old
11-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You're talking about Saturday night Hockey. You could put a blind paraplegic donkey on the ice, CBC would still earn some money.
But considering they're not that dumb, bring in a younger, savvier hockey mind, and you'll probably end up having more sponsors.

RDS switched from annoying Pedneault to moronic Brunet, does it look like they're losing money or listeners??..

It's not like the people have the choice of watching a different channel to see people discuss hockey. Same thing with CBC.

No matter who is the host, analyst, cameraman, director or wtv, people will keep watching saturday night hockey on CBC.
Really? Cuz I am an anglo who watches RDS over CBC. RDS has way better camera quality & announcers.

I am sure I am not the only one.

Old
11-21-2010, 02:40 PM
HabstuckinTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Really? Cuz I am an anglo who watches RDS over CBC. RDS has way better camera quality & announcers.

I am sure I am not the only one.
+1 for sure

Closed Thread