HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What were your thoughts of the Roy incident?

Old
11-20-2010, 05:32 AM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
1st mistake : Corey hiring Houle and co

2nd mistake : by the rookie coach, trying to humiliate and/or "break" the guy that will deliver good enough performances each game for you to have a long career as a coach.

While we can say all had to share the blame, at the end of the day the one saving the other two their job was Roy. So he should have been the one who stayed. The other two ? bye bye!
Not sure how he was saving them their job, he played 16 games under Houle/Tremblay and actually played pretty average, Thibault actually had better stats on the regular season in Montreal than Roy did in Montreal or in Colorado.

I'm not saying he was better or they were right just that Roy wasn't saving anyone their jobs at the moment.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 05:53 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfe View Post
Not sure how he was saving them their job, he played 16 games under Houle/Tremblay and actually played pretty average, Thibault actually had better stats on the regular season in Montreal than Roy did in Montreal or in Colorado.

I'm not saying he was better or they were right just that Roy wasn't saving anyone their jobs at the moment.

There's your awnser.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 08:17 AM
neofury*

Thank god for the Gainey and now Gauthier eras where imo for the most part we've seen some really good hockey. Looks like more to come too

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 08:44 AM
LastChancePrice

People will never forget Tremblay, because i still dont. He made us lose the best goaltender i have ever saw.

I cant beleive RDS hired him, and the other day, i love so much when Bergeron punch the incident back a bit live on television, it show us that Tremblay is mark forever with that incident and he will ever be to get out of this, whatver he try to do.

Boooo Tremblay, and the organisation at that time. That was the worst day of the entire habs organisation history.

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Habs13

Roy should have been pulled, but his reaction was insanely childish and selfish and caused termoil to our team for years and years to come. Montreal was a great team before that incident and his trade set us back into the darkest period of Habs history. Patrick Roy was one of my favorite players growing up, and now I can't stand to even hear his name. Toppled with his post-NHL carear exploits as well as those of his offspring.... yeah, to hell with #33.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 09:05 AM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Roy should have been pulled, but his reaction was insanely childish and selfish and caused termoil to our team for years and years to come. Montreal was a great team before that incident and his trade set us back into the darkest period of Habs history. Patrick Roy was one of my favorite players growing up, and now I can't stand to even hear his name. Toppled with his post-NHL carear exploits as well as those of his offspring.... yeah, to hell with #33.
I wouldn't say they were a great team, they missed the playoffs the year before and started very slowly in 95-96, actually the trade at the time seemed to be a bit of a spark, as funny as it sounds, Thibault out produced Roy, Rucinsky was over a PPG and Kovalenko scored 20. Obviously in hindsight it was a huge loss but Roy was starting to struggle a bit in Montreal, something like 3 of his last 4 regular seasons were sub par and around when he was to be inducted to the HOF he said it was because Montreal was starting to him down. I think long term getting out was the best thing for him, the problem is A. the circumstances around him leaving pissed fans off and B. despite a promising start the trade really, really didn't work out. If Thibault had developed as projected and/or Rucinsky kept scoring at that rate people may have been reasonably comfortable with it.

It's an emotional subject for many fans so you're not going to get much perspective on the issue.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 10:13 AM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
If it had not been for Patrick Roy, we would be talking about the Canadiens not having won a Stanley Cup since 1979. If Mario Tremblay had kept his mouth shut, Scotty Bowman would not have been so inclined to run the score up against Montreal that night.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

It wouldn't have shocked me if this had happened anyway. In some other less-dramatic fashion, at some point in the season. Roy wasn't entirely himself going back before the whole Tremblay/Houle addition. I think it might have been an entirely fair move for a hard-ass coach to come in and want to clean out the country club atmosphere that had developed. Tremblay was probably a bad choice as that hard-ass, because he was so inexperienced that nobody at Roy's level could really respect him. And that he already had a bad relationship with Roy almost had to be a sign that others above him were already thinking about it when they made Tremblay his coach.

But even still, past that incident and the trade, Thibault had a better record and better numbers than Roy's last couple tries as a Hab. The team made the playoffs. (Demers' last one didn't). There were some fun and refreshing things about Tremblay's team. That we tend to forget or overlook.

It was all tainted by the sheer idiocy of the way the trade unfolded, the rush, the paltry return, however.

I'm not really going to blame Tremblay. He was offered his dream job and he took it, and he did it the way he might have been expected to, given his character. I'm certainly not going to blame Roy. He got what he wanted anyway. Houle... well, sort of like Tremblay, it's hard to blame him exactly. But he might have been in a slightly better position to refuse the job offer? And the trade was soooooo poorly executed. Tremblay's coaching record wasn't so godawful, if you look at that bottom line. Houle's record... well.

Anyway, it was all orchestrated by Corey, one presumes, so he gets the real blame. Change *was* needed, Savard had become an incompetent anachronism too, and Demers' schtick has a limited shelf-life that got us the ultimate prize at its peak, but was spent. Corey just made dumb choices for the transition. Perhaps unsurprisingly.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 10:33 AM
dralaf

Quote:
is that the face of a guy who just made a coaching decision with the good of the team at hearth or is that the face of a guy who just used his position of power as a coach for his personal agenda?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tremblay-roy.jpg‎ (9.5 KB, 17 views)

dralaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
1st mistake : Corey hiring Houle and co

2nd mistake : by the rookie coach, trying to humiliate and/or "break" the guy that will deliver good enough performances each game for you to have a long career as a coach.

While we can say all had to share the blame, at the end of the day the one saving the other two their job was Roy. So he should have been the one who stayed. The other two ? bye bye!
Who hired Corey? Molson?

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 10:51 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:

If you haven't figured it out already, some of the greatest talents in the world have a matching ego to go along with it.

Would you prefer a medical surgery from an average humble surgeon or from a cocky doctor who is known as the best and who has the ego to match?

I never understood why people criticize superstars for their egos. Sure, the superstar without the ego is maybe the one you rather be friends with, but most people with exceptional talent are off the rocker to begin with, and most of them have flaws in their personality.

Besides, I kind of like the idea of a goalie having a huge ego, flooded with arrogance and over confidence... I'm sure even Mike Richards wouldn't mind.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

People have such a short memory. Sure Tremblay acted like an idiot. Sure Houle was the worst GM we've ever had. But the truth of the matter is, the fans couldn't stand Roy anymore. And the way he was laughed at in the stands that lead to Roy going bunkers was a blow off of something that had been building for quite a while. Not only Patrick had become bigger than the team but he was treated like king even though he wasn't as good anymore. Sure he's had a great career after he left but we're talking about going to the juggernaut that was the Colorado Avalanches. But Roy had to leave, even without that incident. It's just that the Houle moron got crap in return.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 11:34 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
People have such a short memory. Sure Tremblay acted like an idiot. Sure Houle was the worst GM we've ever had. But the truth of the matter is, the fans couldn't stand Roy anymore. And the way he was laughed at in the stands that lead to Roy going bunkers was a blow off of something that had been building for quite a while. Not only Patrick had become bigger than the team but he was treated like king even though he wasn't as good anymore. Sure he's had a great career after he left but we're talking about going to the juggernaut that was the Colorado Avalanches. But Roy had to leave, even without that incident. It's just that the Houle moron got crap in return.
that trade reflects the competency of not only houle but of the organization in general.

One idiot hires another, one idiot makes a mistake and the 2nd makes a bigger etc

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 11:48 AM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dralaf View Post
is that the face of a guy who just made a coaching decision with the good of the team at hearth or is that the face of a guy who just used his position of power as a coach for his personal agenda?
I think you right. Roy had been taking up too much room and Roy and Tremblay did not like each other. Tremblay needed to gain full control of the dressing room and took advantage of this blow out to teach Roy a lesson, well this backfired big time. The sign of a great coach is that he gets the very best out of his players. Well Tremblay got the very worst out of Roy out of this thing. All the other GM's and coaches in the NHL learned how NOT to handle special players in this NHL. Who was at fault??? well their was plenty to go around, but the GAF was done by Tremblay. He did not ever think that Roy would react like that and then the HABS were backed right into a corner with no way out. Habs had to trade Roy for 1/2 his worth just to save face. The coaches job is to find ways to get the best out and also be the best diplomat in doing that. He has to get the player to WANT to be GREAT not try to FORCE the player to be great. SO it all comes down to Tremblay's lack of coaching ability that lead to this disaster.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:09 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
I think you right. Roy had been taking up too much room and Roy and Tremblay did not like each other. Tremblay needed to gain full control of the dressing room and took advantage of this blow out to teach Roy a lesson, well this backfired big time. The sign of a great coach is that he gets the very best out of his players. Well Tremblay got the very worst out of Roy out of this thing. All the other GM's and coaches in the NHL learned how NOT to handle special players in this NHL. Who was at fault??? well their was plenty to go around, but the GAF was done by Tremblay. He did not ever think that Roy would react like that and then the HABS were backed right into a corner with no way out. Habs had to trade Roy for 1/2 his worth just to save face. The coaches job is to find ways to get the best out and also be the best diplomat in doing that. He has to get the player to WANT to be GREAT not try to FORCE the player to be great. SO it all comes down to Tremblay's lack of coaching ability that lead to this disaster.
And to think people on this forum want to bench Gomez to teach him a lesson. You don't treat your leaders that way. I don't think Gomez is a special person but Gomez is probably equally as looked upon by his teammates in the room as Roy was. Considering how people here to seem to think that Roy was too big for the team.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:26 AM
CarrePrisme

Quote:
I agree. I was just fifteen back then but I remember pretty well the sentiment back then. Roy was far from a fan favorite at this point. You're right on the money when you mention his God treatment vs his average performance. Even Thibeault who we got in return faired better than Roy that season. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000451996.html

People romanticize the past way too much.

CarrePrisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:31 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
If it had not been for Patrick Roy, we would be talking about the Canadiens not having won a Stanley Cup since 1979. If Mario Tremblay had kept his mouth shut, Scotty Bowman would not have been so inclined to run the score up against Montreal that night.
And karma being what it was, it came back and bit Scotty in the backside. The Wings would have walked to the cup that year if Roy doesn't go to Denver.

On another note, I don't think Pierre Lacroix was innocent in the matter. My gut tells me he probably through some channel let Roy know he was trying to acquire him well before the blowup and that Roy would end up on his feet there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrePrisme View Post
I agree. I was just fifteen back then but I remember pretty well the sentiment back then. Roy was far from a fan favorite at this point. You're right on the money when you mention his God treatment vs his average performance. Even Thibeault who we got in return faired better than Roy that season. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000451996.html

People romanticize the past way too much.
Colorado won the Cup that year. With TBO in Denver, the Wings win the Cup. Roy was a proven playoff goalie, that's where the romance came from. With Roy you always thought you had a chance to win the Cup.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Mr. Hab

I still don't get why some fans (not all) booed Roy?
(gave us major bragging rights with 2 Cups in 86+93 AND 1 Cup Final in 89 vs Flames).

We'll never know, but...we may have missed one more Cup if Roy stayed AND if Tremblay was the one who finally left...

And, why couldn't Roy himself just skate back to the bench after 5 or 6 goals? just ignoring Tremblay to keep him out there to further humiliate him...

I still can't believe Tremblay was the coach of our CH

Tremblay + Houle + Corey=

Those were very depressing days for us Hab fans,imo.

Sooooooooo glad those days are in the past and super glad that the future looks very bright (Price, PK Subban, Gorges, Pleks, Eller, Tinordi, Kristo, etc...).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 10:42 AM
nORRis8*

When I still lived in Saskatchewan we went to an Oilers/Habs game in Edmonton afew weeks before the Detroit incident.
One of my buddys worked at the same place in Vegerville as Rejean Houles cousin.
She made some arrangements for 3:00 in the afternoon to come up to meet him at his suite at the Hotel MacDonald where the team was staying.
Sure enough ...we went and he invited us is in. Stayed for about an hour and had a beer. {He said "Do you boys want a pop?"} Chit-chatted about about his career and other memorable moments, took a few snapshots plus he showed off his '73 Cup ring.
My buddy who is a Habs fan asked who was going to be playing tonite, Rejean chuckled and said "Patrick.He has made a lot of big save for us this year. He's very valuable to us a we turn things around."

3 weeks later or a month later, Patrick was gone.

nORRis8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 10:53 AM
No Team Needed

I wasn't following the Canadiens much at the time but when it happened, me and my friends wondered if it was pre-determined. Like they were waiting for Roy to collapse in a game to deal him. I couldn't understand why they would want to run out their number one star so badly. When everyone talked about getting a guy like Roy, we thought the price would be expensive. When we saw the return, we couldn't believe it. I thought it was the worst trade I had heard of in a long time.

Then the Habs upped it with the Turgeon trade.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 12:12 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB86 View Post
Going back some years here, but just curious as you what your feelings were on the Patrick Roy incident?

I am speaking of the game against Detroit in which they scored 9 goals on him.

I remember watching it and wondering why in the world they wouldn't pull him after the first few, was there bad blood between him and the coach at the time? I remember reading something where Roy said the coach kept him in the humiliate him.

I have to wonder how many good runs at the cup they would have had if they had never had to trade Roy.
it was actually 6.

All Ronald Corey's fault. He picked up the wrong GM (Houle) who picked up the wrong coach (Tremblay). And they panicked and traded Roy. instead of just letting the boys cool off their engines for few days.

Anyway. even Serge savard wanted to trade Roy. that,s one of the reason why he was fired. Just a big ****ing mess....

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
This was my reality back then. Of course, we knew something was going to happen from the moment Tremblay was hired after Roy laughed when a reporter asked him what he would think of Le Bleuet becoming head coach.

During that Detroit game, no doubt Roy asked to be pulled after the 2nd period and Tremblay thought this was the opportunity to show his goalie who the real boss was. Hence Mario's provocative look when Patrick walked in front of him.

But in the end, we all found out that Serge Savard who was a pretty good GM had a deal in place with Colorado and that the return was going to be Stephane Fiset and Owen Nolan. I am of the opinion that Nolan as a Hab would have helped much more than what we ended up with.

So yes, Roy was on his way out anyway.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 04:07 PM
HabsUnited

I remember watching the game thinking Tremblay was a giant ****** for not pulling Roy after it was obvious the boys were mailing it in, then by sneering at him in such a way that anyone would have a hard time not punching him in the face, only for Roy to eclipse his douchebaggery by publicly stating he'd played his last game (of course we didn't know exactly what he'd said at the time, but it was obvious something bad had happened) and screwing the Habs over as he did so. I'm sure it was spontaneous, but he had to have known his rash actions on national TV would land him elsewhere, what with the Canadiens' obsession with their image. Even so, I just couldn't understand why they couldn't sweep it under the rug when he apologized publicly and asked to stay.

And then I remember thinking the return was AWFUL, and that was before I knew we gave away Keane as well.

HabsUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 04:10 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

i too, was surprised to see tremblay being paid to be on french hockey television. i thought the public would have reacted harshly actually.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 04:16 PM
JRB86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
it was actually 6.

All Ronald Corey's fault. He picked up the wrong GM (Houle) who picked up the wrong coach (Tremblay). And they panicked and traded Roy. instead of just letting the boys cool off their engines for few days.

Anyway. even Serge savard wanted to trade Roy. that,s one of the reason why he was fired. Just a big ****ing mess....
Quote:
On December 2, 1995, Roy was in net against the Detroit Red Wings during Montreal's worst home game in franchise history, an 11-1 loss.[9] Roy allowed nine goals on 26 shots, and the crowd jeered him whenever he made an easy save. In response, Roy raised his arms in mock celebration. When coach Mario Tremblay finally pulled Roy in the middle of the second period, Roy stormed past him and told team president Ronald Corey "It's my last game in Montreal."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Roy

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=393424

no it was 9.

JRB86 is offline   Reply With Quote