HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards/Mike Ribeiro Are They Options?

Old
11-21-2010, 01:50 PM
CanyonofBlueshirts

vCash: 500
Brad Richards/Mike Ribeiro Are They Options?

Bruce Garrioch:

Quote:
The whisper among NHL executives is that both New York and Toronto are interested in Dallas Cs Mike Ribeiro and Brad Richards if Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk decides to make a move.

Richards would be the easier of the two to move because he can become an unrestricted free agent July 1, while Ribeiro has two years remaining on his deal with a cap hit of $5 million (all terms US) per season, which makes him a lot tougher to deal.

With the Stars ownership in a state of flux, Dallas likely canít afford to keep Richards. He will be the top UFA available next summer and could fetch the club some prospects.
http://coblueshirts.blogspot.com/201...ors-begin.html

Quote:
Unfortunately for the Rangers, Richards goes UFA one summer too early. Next year both Michal Rozsival and Chris Drury would be coming off the books (clearing about $13 million in space) & this summer Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, and Brian Boyle are due hefty raises. It's more important for the organization to lock those guys up than it is to acquire Richards.

The only way for Richards to make cap sense would be for Michal Rozsival to be moved. It's very likely a team will take him with only one year left on his deal & $3 million in salary due. But that begs the question of who is going to play those minutes on the blueline? It sure doesn't seem like Ryan McDonagh or Pavel Valentenko will be ready for the show next year. That means the Rangers will once again need to dip into free agency. The logistics of acquiring Richards this summer are extremely complicated and for all we know Derek Stepan may prove to be a viable solution.
Figured it mine as well be talked about. Seems as though Richards is going to keep coming up in trade rumors w/ the Rnagers. I dont know about Ribeiro although for cap reasons he may make more sense and probably wouldn't take a whole lot to get him out of Dallas.

CanyonofBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:52 PM
asparkoflife

Unless they want Drury or Redden back this isn't possible.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:52 PM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstationline View Post
Unless they want Drury or Redden back this isn't possible.
doesn't redden's cap hit resurface this summer?

Old
11-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Again, Rozy seems the only option to be moved.

Or White+Gilroy's cap hits involved in a Riberio deal, but they would have no intent of re-signing him.

I really think Torts wants Richards here.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

If we continue this strong play till the end of the year id pick him up just for the playoffs.

Barring giving up anything of to much value. He would improve our team ten fold though.

Really sucks we have drury for one more year

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM3RR27 View Post
doesn't redden's cap hit resurface this summer?
thats his point

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:58 PM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
thats his point
what's the summer cap rules does anybody know? i know the summer cap is higher than the actual cap will be during the year

Old
11-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
what's the summer cap rules does anybody know? i know the summer cap is higher than the actual cap will be during the year
10% over at any point. If the cap is 65 mil, its 6.5 mil over, which is Reddens summer hit.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Sports Archaeologist

Richards - I'd be interested as long as the salaries worked out
Riberio - Do not want

Sports Archaeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:03 PM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
10% over at any point. If the cap is 65 mil, its 6.5 mil over, which is Reddens summer hit.
still feasible if they take rozsival, big concern who would play those minutes next season tho.. really frickin sucks that drury is on the books one more year, damnit. take him back buffalo

Old
11-21-2010, 02:06 PM
asparkoflife

Quote:
still feasible if they take rozsival, big concern who would play those minutes next season tho.. really frickin sucks that drury is on the books one more year, damnit. take him back buffalo
WHY would we want to get rid of rozsival? Who's going to play his 25+ minutes every night? Haven't we seen how good DZ is in that position. Get off the Rozsival bit.

Old
11-21-2010, 02:08 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I'd like to keep rosie. He is a top defenseman on this team

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:09 PM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:
WHY would we want to get rid of rozsival? Who's going to play his 25+ minutes every night? Haven't we seen how good DZ is in that position. Get off the Rozsival bit.
dude i just said who would play those minutes? thats a problem. READ

Old
11-21-2010, 02:10 PM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I'd like to keep rosie. He is a top defenseman on this team
he's played a helluva lot better this year now that his hip is fully recovered. i think that really hurt his play last year. he's not my favorite guy in the world, but he's an important cog on that backline if he keeps playing the way he has

Old
11-21-2010, 02:13 PM
asparkoflife

Quote:
dude i just said who would play those minutes? thats a problem. READ
you still implied you wanted him traded. I DID READ.

Old
11-21-2010, 02:13 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

The best thing for this franchise would be replacing Drury w/ Richards. However, with new ownership coming in I'm no so sure how they look at Drury and Richards respectively.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:14 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

This article by Garroich was posted last night. Wondered how long it would take to surface here.

Pierre LeBrun has written and said on the CBC Hotstove segment just last that he feels Richards will not be traded if the Stars are battling for a playoff spot. I read a chat with Mike Heika in the Dallas Morning News where he stated the Stars want to find a way to re-sign Richards. They are paying Richards nearly $8 million within their $45 million budget.

Where does Garroich gets his info from? Richards is still going to be very expensive. $7.8 million cap hit. 186 day season. Deadline is 40 days away the end of the season. $1,677,419 remaining cap hit.

Ribeiro has two more years remaining on his contract. $5 million cap hit. How are the Rangers fitting that cap number into their team looking at all of their group II's? Last summer there was not much interest in Ribeiro due to his contract and not much has changed.

Not sure why Redden's $6.5 million is even being brought up. He is not going to be on the team next season. The Rangers will just assign him to the AHL again or loan him to a team in Europe. The Rangers cap issues are still going to be there with Drury's $7.05 million cap hit and NO MOVEMENT CLAUSE.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:15 PM
azrok22

I'm more than willing to move Rozsival and/or buyout Drury if it means Richards can be brought in.

Drury's buyout would cost us:
2011-2012: $3,716,667
2012-2013: $1,666,667

EDIT: Ribiero = do not want.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

What would it even take to get Ribeiro? He's a solid player that I think is a little underrated right now. Definitely a big upgrade over Christensen and I think his style could complement Gabby pretty well. Would not advise giving up Stepan, anyone from the Pack Line, DZ, etc., though.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:
you still implied you wanted him traded. I DID READ.
i didn't imply anything, i said rozy could be moved, i said it would pose a problem for the team if he was. it was a flat statement.

Old
11-21-2010, 02:17 PM
asparkoflife

Quote:
i didn't imply anything, i said rozy could be moved, i said it would pose a problem for the team if he was. it was a flat statement.
right.

Old
11-21-2010, 02:17 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

If the Rangers can include Roszival in the deal, Richards is a possibility. Between moving Rozi, and waiving White and Christensen, (who becomes a non-entity by acquiring an actual #1 center), Richards' salary fits under the cap. Re-signing him is another issue.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:21 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
If the Rangers can include Roszival in the deal, Richards is a possibility. Between moving Rozi, and waiving White and Christensen, (who becomes a non-entity by acquiring an actual #1 center), Richards' salary fits under the cap. Re-signing him is another issue.
Before resigning Richards the bigger isue is who logs the minutes on our backend. Who plays with a calming influence back there? Del Zotto? Gilroy

Without a replacement for Rozsy you're in BIG trouble. It's not easy to replace a guy like him.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:23 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
This article by Garroich was posted last night. Wondered how long it would take to surface here.

Pierre LeBrun has written and said on the CBC Hotstove segment just last that he feels Richards will not be traded if the Stars are battling for a playoff spot. I read a chat with Mike Heika in the Dallas Morning News where he stated the Stars want to find a way to re-sign Richards. They are paying Richards nearly $8 million within their $45 million budget.

Where does Garroich gets his info from? Richards is still going to be very expensive. $7.8 million cap hit. 186 day season. Deadline is 40 days away the end of the season. $1,677,419 remaining cap hit.

Ribeiro has two more years remaining on his contract. $5 million cap hit. How are the Rangers fitting that cap number into their team looking at all of their group II's? Last summer there was not much interest in Ribeiro due to his contract and not much has changed.

Not sure why Redden's $6.5 million is even being brought up. He is not going to be on the team next season. The Rangers will just assign him to the AHL again or loan him to a team in Europe. The Rangers cap issues are still going to be there with Drury's $7.05 million cap hit and NO MOVEMENT CLAUSE.

Because as of July 1 Redden's salary goes back on NYR cap; this effectively eliminates any major free agent signing/trade; even with 10% rule we are stymied.

nrf83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:24 PM
asparkoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Before resigning Richards the bigger isue is who logs the minutes on our backend. Who plays with a calming influence back there? Del Zotto? Gilroy

Without a replacement for Rozsy you're in BIG trouble. It's not easy to replace a guy like him.
NO. Don't you realize if we get Rozsival off this team and add Richards we will be a shoe in for the cup!?! Who needs defense when you have Richards!?