HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards/Mike Ribeiro Are They Options?

Old
11-21-2010, 01:26 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Ribeiro? **** that. We don't need to trade for a good option. We need a great option. It's Richards or nothing.

Richards for Rozsival, 2011 1st, Todd White (cap hit purposes), and a good prospect like McDonagh or Grachev (personally, I'd suggest McIlrath but I know that won't happen).

Losing Rozsival hurts our defense, but I think it's plain ludicrous to suggest that the negative of losing Rozsival outweighs the positive of gaining Richards. Rozsival is a slightly above average second pairing defenseman. Richards is one of the top 5-10 playmakers in the game in a league where offense is king.

Or just deal Rozsival after this season and sign Richards as a free agent. Obviously that would be preferable, but I don't mind giving up a good prospect and a first to get him if it ensures he will re-sign and not hit the free agent market. Give him a month plus a playoff run to settle with the room and the players and get uses to the MSG luxuries, and he won't want to leave.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:29 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Ribeiro? **** that. We don't need to trade for a good option. We need a great option. It's Richards or nothing.

Richards for Rozsival, 2011 1st, Todd White (cap hit purposes), and a good prospect like McDonagh or Grachev (personally, I'd suggest McIlrath but I know that won't happen).

Losing Rozsival hurts our defense, but I think it's plain ludicrous to suggest that the negative of losing Rozsival outweighs the positive of gaining Richards. Rozsival is a slightly above average second pairing defenseman. Richards is one of the top 5-10 playmakers in the game in a league where offense is king.

Or just deal Rozsival after this season and sign Richards as a free agent. Obviously that would be preferable, but I don't mind giving up a good prospect and a first to get him if it ensures he will re-sign and not hit the free agent market. Give him a month plus a playoff run to settle with the room and the players and get uses to the MSG luxuries, and he won't want to leave.
You're right. Let's hope the league passes legislation that it's 3 on 3 hockey and defense isn't part of the game anymore.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:32 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

If it came down to Rosy, i think i'd have to move him for Richards too, but you can't say "offense is king" when the two teams in the SCF this year had two of the best defenses. If offense was king, the Capitals would've won the cup last year, and maybe even the year before that. Goaltending and solid defense is just as important. The only reason i'd move Roszival is because most of our forwards are also very good at the defensive side of the game, but I don't agree with your train of thought.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:34 PM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Agreed, Riberio doesn't have nearly the consistency Richards has, and plus Torts knows Richards and his game.

Also agree about Rozsival. Yes, it will put a hole in the D, but not one so big that adding Richards isn't worth it. It would hurt more if he was acquired at the deadline rather than in FA. I think next season his spot could be filled by Sauer if he keeps his game up. Then you can call up V-tank or sign a cheap bottom pairing replacement. Whatever works.

I'm against most FA signings, but I have faith in Richards.

Honestly though, I don't think it happens either way. So whatever.

11-21-2010, 01:35 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
You're right. Let's hope the league passes legislation that it's 3 on 3 hockey and defense isn't part of the game anymore.
I didn't say defense isn't part of the game, but this isn't 2000. It's 2010, and every single one of the top teams in this league is dominant offensively. The big point here is that you aren't losing Drew Doughty. It's Michal Rozsival. Yes, he's a solid player, and yes, for a season we might have a downgrade on the blueline. I'll gladly take that in exchange for Brad Richards. There's nothing to even consider. It's a no-brainer.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:44 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
I didn't say defense isn't part of the game, but this isn't 2000. It's 2010, and every single one of the top teams in this league is dominant offensively. The big point here is that you aren't losing Drew Doughty. It's Michal Rozsival. Yes, he's a solid player, and yes, for a season we might have a downgrade on the blueline. I'll gladly take that in exchange for Brad Richards. There's nothing to even consider. It's a no-brainer.
The top teams in this league aren't just dominant offensively. They are moreso dominant on the back end.

Chicago and Philadelphia are 2 of the teams. Keith, Seabrook, Barker(taded) , Pronger, Timmonen, Mezsaros, Coburn.

There's a reason why Washington can't get past that wedge. In a grinding playoff atmosphere their d-men can't withstand it.

Old
11-21-2010, 01:45 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
C'mon, Sting, there's no way the Rangers can survive defensively without Roszival in the lineup.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:46 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

You watch and see how far the Canucks are going to go in the playoffs. I have them slotted as coming out of the west.

Their d-men are beyond solid: Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis , Ehroff, Ballard.

Old
11-21-2010, 01:48 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
C'mon, Sting, there's no way the Rangers can survive defensively without Roszival in the lineup.
Who needs defense. We can just try what the devils did. Lets get Richards at the expense of the teams defense...Rozsy, McDonagh etc.

Old
11-21-2010, 01:55 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Who needs defense. We can just try what the devils did. Lets get Richards at the expense of the teams defense...Rozsy, McDonagh etc.
The addition of a 1st line center improves this more than than the loss of a 2nd pairing D-man weakens it.

Old
11-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Let's be realistic, as long as Chris Drury is eating $7,500,000 of cap space, there will be zero significant additions to this roster.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:01 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
The addition of a 1st line center improves this more than than the loss of a 2nd pairing D-man weakens it.
The devils though the addition of a sniper would do the same.

Old
11-21-2010, 02:04 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
The Devils spent more money per season on defense this off-season on the UFA market than offense. Volchenkov + Tallinder. They went after the wrong players on the back-end and their coach has no idea how to utilize Kovalchuk. They are a very old team(Arnott, Langenbrunner, Elias, Brodeur).

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

defense wins championships

p.s ribiero sucks

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:12 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Umm...signing Kovalchuk did not prevent the Debbies from attempting bolster their D. They still signed Volchenkov and Tallinder. The Debbies problems are much bigger than what can be attriburted to the Kovalchuk signing. Plus, Richards would fill an actual need. The two situations are completely dissimilar.

Old
11-21-2010, 02:17 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
The Devils spent more money per season on defense this off-season on the UFA market than offense. Volchenkov + Tallinder. They went after the wrong players on the back-end and their coach has no idea how to utilize Kovalchuk. They are a very old team(Arnott, Langenbrunner, Elias, Brodeur).
Uh-oh, viper, similar posts again...

Old
11-21-2010, 02:18 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Uh-oh, viper, similar posts again...

What is this, 2 in 2 days?

Old
11-21-2010, 02:25 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Umm...signing Kovalchuk did not prevent the Debbies from attempting bolster their D. They still signed Volchenkov and Tallinder. The Debbies problems are much bigger than what can be attriburted to the Kovalchuk signing. Plus, Richards would fill an actual need. The two situations are completely dissimilar.
Really? The trade for Kovalchuk did nothing to the Devils defense? Are you sure? Yea, Volchenkov and Tallinder are great upgrades over Martin and Oduya.

Replacing 2 very good skating and mobile d-men with 2 very average to below average skating d-men definitely did wonders for the Devils. Sorry, that's not going to work in this NHL.

Old
11-21-2010, 02:27 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
The Devils lost Martin. Martin alone is probably better than Tallinder and Volchenkov.

Old
11-21-2010, 02:38 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Let's be realistic, as long as Chris Drury is eating $7,500,000 of cap space, there will be zero significant additions to this roster.
Drudy has already missed a quarter of the season. By the time he gets back it will be a third. I like Drury better than most here but I've got to think that his role in the leadership dynamic of the team has changed and this is becoming the Callahan/Dubinsky Rangers. As it should be.

NMC clause aside, I think it's very possible the Rangers work with Drury to move him to a place this summer where cap issues are of less concern and he can finish his career with dignity. Could be a deal like the White-Brashear-Rissmillier trade where there's cap benefit for both teams. Colorado might be possible.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:43 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
The Devils lost Martin. Martin alone is probably better than Tallinder and Volchenkov.
Martin barely played last season. He has injury concerns. Oduya was under-performing last season and was not cheap for the services he provided for the Devils.

Kovalchuk was not the reason for the Devils change in their defense. That was Lou. They could have paid Martin and they could have involved another player like maybe Clarkson last year in the trade.

Old
11-21-2010, 02:45 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Martin barely played last season. He has injury concerns. Oduya was under-performing last season and was not cheap for the services he provided for the Devils.

Kovalchuk was not the reason for the Devils change in their defense. That was Lou. They could have paid Martin and they could have involved another player like maybe Clarkson last year in the trade.
My stance on this is that I wouldn't go after a player in the expense of the teams defense. That's just me though. Specifics aside, Rozsy aside, Kovalchuk aside..all that aside.

Old
11-21-2010, 02:54 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Especially when you won't have any cap space to address the defense issue & will probably be forced to play rookies.

These were the same reasons I was against getting Kovalchuk. It doesn't allow you to address other areas of concern.

Old
11-21-2010, 02:59 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Really? The trade for Kovalchuk did nothing to the Devils defense? Are you sure? Yea, Volchenkov and Tallinder are great upgrades over Martin and Oduya.

Replacing 2 very good skating and mobile d-men with 2 very average to below average skating d-men definitely did wonders for the Devils. Sorry, that's not going to work in this NHL.
Moving the goalposts, are we? They didn't re-sign Martin because he didn't to re-sign with them. And, Volchenkov was considered one of the top UFA D-men available last summer. Signing did not prevent the Debbies from having the money from addressing their defense. The question of whether they made the appropriate choices is a different and unrelated issue.

Old
11-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Leetch3

i'd love to get brad richards as long as we can work out the cap issues (not sure how) and don't have to give up the farm for him...but i want no part of riberio. i'd rather have stepan on the top line

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote