HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Back Yard Ice Rinks

Old
01-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Bumps? What kind of bumps. small little bumps or big hump type LUMPS.

For small bumps I would use one of these, it comes with a sharpened edge made for scraping up floor tiles. About $30 each in just about any hardware store worth anything. I would then sweep the ice chips up with a push broom.

One of the most important things to do to a home rink is to CLEAN IT AFTER EVERY USE with a shovel scraper and then a push broom before reflooding.

I swear if you do that you will always have a mirror surface if you do not have a home zamboni type thingie.

I second HF68:The ice scraper is a great idea. Works wonders on just about everything except when the kids shovel slushy snow off of parts of the rink, but not all of it!

This year, I got a new pushbroom, with a squeegee on the flipside. I discovered that suing the squeegee side is about five times faster, and just about as effective as sweeping. You don't get the snow/scrapings falling outof the broom every time you set it down in a new place.

I also last year made a home-made resurfacer out of PVC. I made a tee about three feet wide, with a handle about 4 1/2 feet. On the tee, I drilled holes about every inch or so, and on the "stem", I added a connector so I could screw my hose right to it. I also tied on a towel with zip ties, to evenly spread the water as i drag it behind me. Connect the hose to the laundry hot water with a Y-connector, and it works like a champ. There's a commercial version - Rinkrake, I think - that's about 80-100 bucks. Mine was less than 10!

And this year has been great so far for skating. Friday's going to get up to about 45F or so - I hope it doesn't take too long to recover.

And btw, I have just a small, 24 x 28 rink. I have pretty level yard and just use pressure treated 2x12's as the frame and use a liner I get through my local ice rink. I butt the frame boards together and plate join them with a 1 foot length of PT 2x12, screwing through the plate into each longer board.

Dang, now I want to cut out from work and go skate!

Ference the Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 04:05 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
save that day for trade deadline day

I always do

Leaf Lander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 11:09 AM
jefff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
i had a great backyard rink in connecticut. but here in winnipeg the park down the block has three outdoor rinks so i don't really need my own .
Where did you get your liner?

jefff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Sockosensei

Wow, I've been scanning the backyard rink threads and you guys are doing incredible work.

Question: Has anyone here built a rink with artificial ice or skated on it a lot?

My area of Japan doesn't get cold enough for a proper ice rink, but I'd consider building one with artificial ice (EZ Glide 350, etc.) if that's the best I can do. Thing is, I've never actually skated on artificial ice, and I'd hate to make a huge investment if it completely sucks. Given my situation, do you think it's a worthwhile substitute?

I'd love to hear what you have to say. Thanks!

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:12 AM
bruinsfan08

What is the best/easiest way to start building a rink? How does one determine the slope of the area where the rink will be? Should the boards be put into the ground? That may be tough since the ground is frozen now. We are currently getting freezing temperatures here in Alberta with snow so I figured I should start on my rink. Since this is my 1st year building and I'm a complete rookie at this, I had a few questions.

bruinsfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:04 AM
DwightKSchrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
i had a great backyard rink in connecticut. but here in winnipeg the park down the block has three outdoor rinks so i don't really need my own .
How many times you smash that window behind the rink lol

DwightKSchrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan08 View Post
What is the best/easiest way to start building a rink? How does one determine the slope of the area where the rink will be? Should the boards be put into the ground? That may be tough since the ground is frozen now. We are currently getting freezing temperatures here in Alberta with snow so I figured I should start on my rink. Since this is my 1st year building and I'm a complete rookie at this, I had a few questions.
Use a level. String levels work well, or a long straight board with a level on top. Don't guess, as this has a big effect on how high and solid your boards should be, and how critical and leakproof your tarp must be.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 12:43 PM
trtaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefff View Post
Where did you get your liner?
Liner sources

trtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 03:08 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

Hopefully this year I have some luck. Last year was a first time experience and I learned from my many mistakes. Just as I fixed my problems, got my boards good and had it level and was just 1 flood away from a good rink. Then the wave of cold (-10 celsius on average during the day) went away and the winter heat wave came the day of my last flood .

Hopefully this year I have better luck.

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
*sigh* Damn Vancouver's temperate climate. I can never make a perfect rink! We tried during one of the colder winter's two years ago, it almost worked.

This winter is supposed to be the coldest one in 50 years, so here's hoping to a beauty rink.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Gags89

I've only been able to find poly in 10' width. How should I go about joining the pieces or could I get away with just overlapping them?

Gags89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:55 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Anyone ever build one in New Jersey?

I'd love to try this once it gets real cold, however I don't think it will work. Weather here isn't cold enough.

Also, would putting a liner on top of cement work? I'm thinking no.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
When I was younger, a couple years after we build a new shed on our farm, before we poured concrete/heated floors in our shed my dad put an ice rink in it. The rink took up a little bit less than half the shed, and was 50 feet by 60 ft. (approx) Dad owns his own construction, so he had lots of wood for us to use, and we laid a plastic tarp underneath.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:40 PM
IDuck

been cold up here and my pond is frozen...its about 200 yards from my house and i just got back from checking it...cant freaking wait to play some pond hockey all day tomorrow and eat some turkey

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 03:01 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Hey guys, I don't have my own rink but I love seeing pics of what others have done. Anyways if you are looking for tips or for a gallery of ton of backyard rinks check out this website: www.backyardrinks.ca

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 03:02 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDuck View Post
been cold up here and my pond is frozen...its about 200 yards from my house and i just got back from checking it...cant freaking wait to play some pond hockey all day tomorrow and eat some turkey
You're a lucky guy!

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 05:44 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
It's kinda surprising how hard it is to make a rink. You figure it's basically water + cold = ice. Done. But ice is damn finicky eh?

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Ozolinsh_27

After reading this thread, I wanna make one for next winter after I buy my house this coming summer.

New idea for when I do my house shopping: flat & level backyard -might be a stretch but even if its close to being level & flat

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 12:14 PM
wraezor

I've got a pond cleared near our house already. Unfortunately it's too far away for extension cords or water hoses, so I have to get creative with flooding and lighting.

I think I've got a plan for flooding, but has anyone used battery powered lights that they could recommend in Alberta? I don't really want to buy a generator just for some light.

Would something like this work with some cheap flood lights?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Thanks in advance.

wraezor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 07:01 PM
rinkrat22

me and the kids just came in from our first skate on the backyard rink. hopefully we will get back out after dinner.

hope the weather in Chicago holds out!

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:10 AM
ImmortalsC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
me and the kids just came in from our first skate on the backyard rink. hopefully we will get back out after dinner.

hope the weather in Chicago holds out!
Count me jealous. I'm in the SW burbs, itching to make a rink, but I think I have to wait a year till my eldest is old enough to skate before the wife will approve the backyard project...

ImmortalsC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:02 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalsC View Post
Count me jealous. I'm in the SW burbs, itching to make a rink, but I think I have to wait a year till my eldest is old enough to skate before the wife will approve the backyard project...
actually I'm in Joliet, but nobody knows where that's at.

Old
12-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
need to buy some tape to piece my liner together ..any recommendations?

Leaf Lander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 02:29 PM
rinkrat22

Did you just send me a message on Facebook? if not try the tape for tyvek. at a building supply.

Old
12-19-2010, 08:23 PM
EShack

Hey guys, I posted this shot in the other thread, and didn't see this one. I just built this for the first time this year, I thought I might share a little info on how to save some cash. I looked at the NiceRink liners and a few other brands, but I found some stuff called Dura-Skrim that worked fine. It's construction material, basically a vapor barrier but designed to be nailed and stapled for people working outdoors that want to avoid the wind. Most stuff rips, but this material has fabric strands in it to make it more durable.

I picked up a 100'x40' roll for about $250. I got mine at a concrete supply house, I'm guessing a similar establishment anywhere in the country would have it. If you live in a region where backyard rinks aren't too common you might want to do a little research before you go, the guys at the counter knew exactly what I wanted as soon as I mentioned a backyard rink, apparently they sell tons of it for that purpose. Otherwise I might not have gotten the right stuff.

EShack is offline   Reply With Quote