HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev for a Sunday afternoon

Old
11-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Jumping

vCash: 500
Zherdev for a Sunday afternoon

So a few of the more respected commentators on this Board think he should be gone.
I think he has value so where would you send him? My opinion is that the Flyers need some big bodies who can score a goal in their farm system and who could come up and help out if there are (the inevitable) injuries.
Here are 3 thoughts:
1) Toronto - because it is not a trade scenario unless the Maple Leafs are involved. I do not think he fits their style, but they need a goal scorer.
2) Nashville - needs goal scorers but aren't fans of Russians. Maybe for a prospect like Taylor Beck and a pick.
3) Minnesota - needs goal scorers but are without much cap space. Once again, a decent sized forward - Colton Gillies, Cody Almond, Casey Wellman. One of the three and a mid round pick.

I don't think Zherdev has that much value at this point except to teams starving for goals. Then again, the Flyers could always keep him.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:43 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I'd much rather keep him and use our roster to it's fullest with Powe on the 4th line and Zherdev + Nodl + JVR in the top 9.

I think Wellwood looked great, but we shouldn't jump to conclusions just yet.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Garbage Goal

Zherdev's still near a 30 goal pace even with his **** ice-time and benching. If someone wants him and is willing to give a good return for him then, yeah, trade him. Otherwise, just keep him on board. Our forward lines are setup in a way to have scoring threats coming from all over the roster so there's no reason to get rid of an offensive threat/tool like Zherdev just because the coach won't give him top minutes.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I think he should play out the rest of his contract. He will not be re-singed. If you don't play defense on Laviolette's team you will not see ice time. It's a shame because he has so much talent but he just doesn't work hard. If he had the work ethic of Mike Richards he would be one of the best players in the world.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:01 PM
boodangleroo28

Ive noticed more passion and desire out of him the last few games. I remember a few times i thought he was going to get his lazy stick in the way to make it look like he was doing something, but to my surprise he skated right through the defender with a nice body check. He's a fairly decent sized forward i think if lavy can get him to start throwing his weight around on the for-check he can become very useful. I believe we also need to use his particular skills better. His dangles and creativity are off the charts, we need to let him play more like zherdev instead of thinking hes going to learn to play defense like betts n lappy

boodangleroo28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodangleroo28 View Post
Ive noticed more passion and desire out of him the last few games. I remember a few times i thought he was going to get his lazy stick in the way to make it look like he was doing something, but to my surprise he skated right through the defender with a nice body check. He's a fairly decent sized forward i think if lavy can get him to start throwing his weight around on the for-check he can become very useful. I believe we also need to use his particular skills better. His dangles and creativity are off the charts, we need to let him play more like zherdev instead of thinking hes going to learn to play defense like betts n lappy
Bingo. Stop trying to change the player that he is. The guy is working his ass off, he's not the best defensivly, but god damn he's trying. I'm fed up of people calling him out for being lazy, or not back-checking. There is a difference between being lazy, and not trying. Zherdev has played very well in the last 3 games, and yet he's on the fourth line. Give me a break

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
as much as he pisses me off at stretches, i'd rather keep him for the season and see where it goes.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:22 PM
lancer247

I can see Zherdev or Carcillo getting moved for a veteran forward that will not be a problem in the lockerroom if he is the 13th forward or somone doesn't need to play everyday to keep his game sharp. Maybe a Craig Conroy type that will relish one last cup run.

In all likelyhood, Shelly won't be playing regularly deep into the playoffs so you definitely need 13 NHL level forwards long term. The Flyers just need to determine if Carcillo or Z will be a malcontent in the room if they are a healthy scratch or if JVR is the odd man out then how does that effect his development.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:24 PM
jb**

it is inevitable that he will not finish the season here and be gome sooner than later imo. Sad as i think he canhelp this team. He will be moved for a 4th line grinder no doubt. I honestly believe the coach has no idea on how to use him and def doesnt have much if any faith in him. Wonder if he was even on board with this signing as you know what his shortcomings are at this point. wish they would work on his strengths instead of always harping on the d end of his game.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:25 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodangleroo28 View Post
This.

He can flat out score, we all know this, Lavi isn't letting him go so to speak, but when High and Wide causes turn overs, he is STILL on the ice. *sigh*

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:29 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I agree that Zherdev is trying very hard, its weird Lavi is punishing him so much

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
This.

He can flat out score, we all know this, Lavi isn't letting him go so to speak, but when High and Wide causes turn overs, he is STILL on the ice. *sigh*
Carter>>>Z

Come on now.

Carter is our best faceoff man, scorer, and one of our best two-way forwards.

Old
11-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I agree that Zherdev is trying very hard, its weird Lavi is punishing him so much
In stretches he does.. I also do agree Lavi is also to blame as well.

Z should be on the powerplay. His creativity with the puck is off the chart. Plus his shot is lethal.

Old
11-21-2010, 02:34 PM
lancer247

I she punishing him or is it the result of a deep forward crop. There are only so many spots open.

Last night JVR and Nodl were playing really well. I don't think Zherdev played poorly but those two just played better. If you don't have defined role on this team (Shelly, Betts) then you better be playing your Agame and hope that the other 9 forwards aren't playing better then you.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Stockholm Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
Carter>>>Z

Come on now.

Carter is our best faceoff man, scorer, and one of our best two-way forwards.
OT, but Carter has the best faceoff percentage in the league with 92 of 143 faceoffs won for 63.4%

Last night, Beninati said something to the effect of how Backstrom hates faceoffs with Carter because he has the hardest right handed draw in the league.

Last edited by Stockholm Syndrome: 11-21-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Stockholm Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:40 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Since Lavi seems to want to keep Powe in the top 9, ask yourself this...

Is Zherdev playing a better all-around game than Nodl and JVR right now?

If you assume that Powe is guaranteed top 9, the answer becomes fairly obvious.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Since Lavi seems to want to keep Powe in the top 9, ask yourself this...

Is Zherdev playing a better all-around game than Nodl and JVR right now?

If you assume that Powe is guaranteed top 9, the answer becomes fairly obvious.
If you ignore defense for Laviolette, you don't play. Plain and simple. Doesn't matter what Zherdev is doing offensively or on the Top 9.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:46 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If you ignore defense for Laviolette, you don't play. Plain and simple. Doesn't matter what Zherdev is doing offensively or on the Top 9.
you keep saying this, but Zherdev has been trying on D at least. Also he only has 4 giveaways

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:47 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Well then why did the Flyers sign him? Zherdev is what he is and that isn't going to change. An enigmatic offensive threat when he wants to be. It's pointless trying to alter Zherdev's mechanisms.

So the question becomes one of trying to utilize his Offensive talent.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:55 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
you keep saying this, but Zherdev has been trying on D at least. Also he only has 4 giveaways
I think gkj is right here. I won't disagree that the guy seems to be giving it his best but he's simply bad defensively. Worse than Briere.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:57 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Zherdev's still near a 30 goal pace even with his **** ice-time and benching. If someone wants him and is willing to give a good return for him then, yeah, trade him. Otherwise, just keep him on board. Our forward lines are setup in a way to have scoring threats coming from all over the roster so there's no reason to get rid of an offensive threat/tool like Zherdev just because the coach won't give him top minutes.
Great post. I agree.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 03:15 PM
vera1964

Just look at damn stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Ihe's simply bad defensively. Worse than Briere.
Then how come his ESGA is one of the best on the team?

Also consider this:

Stamkos: 9 ESG, 13 ESGA, 298 ESTOI
Crosby: 9 ESG, 22 ESGA, 331 ESTOI
Ovechkin: 8 ESG, 16 ESGA, 343 ESTOI
Zherdev: 7 ESG, 6 ESGA, 208 ESTOI

Just look at the damn stats, and use your elementary school skills to figure out where would Zherdev be now if he had decent ice time.

Up to this point everybody was talking about his potential. Look at the f-ing stats, he IS delivering right now, and he is delivering big time, despite all the sh-t he is getting from the flyers organization in general, and from Laviolette in particular.

It's ridiculous when he is being compared to Nodl, Powe, or JVR. It's beyond retarded.

Just use him or trade him Flyers -- you are just embarassing yourselves. Really.

Last edited by vera1964: 11-21-2010 at 03:43 PM.
vera1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera1964 View Post
Then how come his ESGA is one of the best on the team?
Cuz it's only been 19 games... O'Donnell has a 0.40 GAON/60 right now, which is utterly ABSURD.

Richards is also among the worst on the team in GAON/60 at even strength right now... think he sucks defensively?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Bingo. Stop trying to change the player that he is. The guy is working his ass off, he's not the best defensivly, but god damn he's trying. I'm fed up of people calling him out for being lazy, or not back-checking. There is a difference between being lazy, and not trying. Zherdev has played very well in the last 3 games, and yet he's on the fourth line. Give me a break

i agree you cant change a leopards spots..

surely they knew his play style before signing him.. pesonaly i think Z is worth every penny were paying him,

stop leaving his ass to chill on the bench, instead make use of what he DOES bring.. and thats speed/moves and extremyl skilled hands..

he would be amazing with the right players on a PP, i would bet money on that...

and our PP def needs help, come on...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 03:41 PM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Cuz it's only been 19 games...
I think if all he did was turning puck over, floating, and cherry-picking, as many on this board represent this, it would very well show in 19 games. Since it doesn't, and even quite opposite, I assume it is not that bad.

At least not as bad to keep the guy on the bench who is tied tor 13th in the league ESG despite all the crap he is getting from the coach.

vera1964 is offline   Reply With Quote