HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

David Desharnais

Old
11-21-2010, 04:17 PM
suezane carpenter

vCash: 500
David Desharnais

I think the Habs should call him up because he can really make something out of nothing.

suezane carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 04:18 PM
gusfring

And play where?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 04:19 PM
dcyhabs

They have to give him a shot some time. He may not be St-Louis, but I don't think he is Corey Locke, either.

Top 6 winger on some NHL team (but probably with two big linemates Montreal does not have).

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

Our young guns in the farm are doing good, the big club is doing more than just fine, so why change anything?

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 04:20 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
And play where?
desharnais will create a fifth line out of nothing, it seems.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

To me, if they're going to call up Weber and use him as a forward... well, they might as well not bother disrupting Weber's development, and they might as well have called up Desharnais instead.

Granted, it's a teensy bit unfair there, since we didn't exactly rack up the PP's for Weber to play point on against the Leafs. I think it's nice to encourage Weber and get a little goodwill money in his pocket at some point. But I don't think it's a good idea to keep him around long playing 4th line forward minutes.

Desharnais should be rewarded with a little of the same money and goodwill, and who knows, maybe he can light a little (no pun intended) fire on our 2nd line. He's also further along in his pro development and IMHO is more ready to be presented with the next level of challenge (or conversely, his development benefits less from continuing to play top minutes in the AHL).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Get Pyatt out of the lineup and bring Desharnais

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
And get scored on on the PK, while putting up the same amount of goals as now? Seems like a good move.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I like what Pyatt brings to the team, he hustles and he's solid defensively, but I think that Desharnais could bring the same defensive game as Pyatt and he would be strong offensively too.

Even when he had a poor game today vs. the Marlies he still stood out as a player who's much faster and more dedicated to every play than everyone else on the ice.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

IMO a team like the Flyers would make ground meat out of Desharnais.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 07:39 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

small ,slow, mad skills; career ahl'er

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 08:36 PM
MarkovsKnee

I'm not sure about calling up Desharnais against the Flyers. He's small, and not that quick, although I agree he has a lot of talent.

As long as Weber is up they don't have roster space anyway, since I don't believe they've even put Markov on Injured Reserve yet, so he's still a part of the roster.

It doesn't look like the Habs plan on making any changes for the Flyers game.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 08:43 PM
HabsoluteFate

Eller can go back down to the minors...the only reason he's still here is because he was supposed to be the main piece for Halak.

i would like to see Desharnais on the 2nd line. I heard not long ago that montreal has a few players that next year if brought down to the minors can be taken off waivers...i don't want to lose him that way without a real chance first

they are going to screw up Eller's career the way he's handled...but hey its not like we've never seen this before. If his upside is that much then learn from keeping Pk Subban in the minors and have him play and get his confidence back.

i still cant believe some people thought Eller would end up with more points than Subban and be a candidate for rookie of the year...i didn't see it but then again i didnt see him being as bad as he's been offensively....going down to the minors is not a bad long term plan

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 08:45 PM
habtastic

Desharnais has loads of talent, but to suggest that we don't need Pyatt is insane. He's a an important cog in the wheel. Now, having him fill the Weber/Darche position and moving him up to the second line, while...Moen?...plays on a checking line would be interesting IF playing with 3 shorties could work. It's not impossible and they should give it a try. Darche has been doing such a good job this year though, he's really shown that every player on the roster in there for a reason.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 08:47 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate View Post
Eller can go back down to the minors...the only reason he's still here is because he was supposed to be the main piece for Halak.

i would like to see Desharnais on the 2nd line. I heard not long ago that montreal has a few players that next year if brought down to the minors can be taken off waivers...i don't want to lose him that way without a real chance first

they are going to screw up Eller's career the way he's handled...but hey its not like we've never seen this before. If his upside is that much then learn from keeping Pk Subban in the minors and have him play and get his confidence back.

i still cant believe some people thought Eller would end up with more points than Subban and be a candidate for rookie of the year...i didn't see it but then again i didnt see him being as bad as he's been offensively....going down to the minors is not a bad long term plan
whoa. I was scared. Up until that sentence I thought you actually watched the habs play.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Bieber fever

5'7 177lbs . Nuff said.

we don't need another small player

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 09:04 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

I don't hate pyatt i mean he is a smart player and is good defensively . It's just that it would be nice if he would put up some numbers some time and if he could actually finish.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Ncrdrg

Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
Oh boy. Are you listening to yourselves? Desharnais being good defensively? LOL. He's not replacing Pyatt's defensive role at all.

If you wish to replace Eller, he's fair game but Eller's game has been coming around and Desharnais didn't prove enough at the camp to justify a callup.
Besides, it's not like the team needs desperate help from a rookie right now.

Ncrdrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 09:17 PM
NewHabsEra*

I dont think DD belong to the NHL, his lack of size and speed really hurt his overall game..

Pyatt is fast, strong on the puck, gritty and pretty good defensively, while I think he should bring a little more offensively, he still is someone pretty reliable to use in important situations, especially on the PK.. He fits pretty well in Jacques Martin's system, we need this type of players to win games.. DD is just too much flawed and doesnt fit in our line-up at all..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Pyatt is the top PKer on the best PK in the NHL... and you want to bench him? Sure he can't produce offensively, but we don't need him to. Saying Desharnais will bring the same defensive game as pyatt is just short sighted.

Like someone already said, this team is winning, and so is Hamilton. Why change anything? Barring injury or a couple of losses, we should stay put and enjoy!!

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 10:23 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I like what Pyatt brings to the team, he hustles and he's solid defensively, but I think that Desharnais could bring the same defensive game as Pyatt and he would be strong offensively too.

Even when he had a poor game today vs. the Marlies he still stood out as a player who's much faster and more dedicated to every play than everyone else on the ice.
It's difficult to tell what games you watch.

Desharnais will ABSOLUTELY NOT bring the same defensive game as Pyatt. Pyatt was a TWO-time WJC champion, while Desharnais went undrafted. Not many players play on Team Canada at 18, usually just the top draft choices. But Pyatt was so strong defensively that he made the squad and did very well, too.

If you think Desharnais is SO FAST, then Pyatt is lightning. Desharnais' big problem is PRECISELY that he is NOT fast enough to make up for his incredible lack of size.

Will Desharnais be able to bring NHL level offence? I doubt it, but here I could be wrong. He might be another Grabovski, a player who can play 2nd line center on a WEAK team.

Not only do I prefer Pyatt to Desharnais (by a mile), but I'm not sure Desharnais can even generate more offence than Boyd or Darche at the NHL level.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
To me, if they're going to call up Weber and use him as a forward... well, they might as well not bother disrupting Weber's development, and they might as well have called up Desharnais instead.

Granted, it's a teensy bit unfair there, since we didn't exactly rack up the PP's for Weber to play point on against the Leafs. I think it's nice to encourage Weber and get a little goodwill money in his pocket at some point. But I don't think it's a good idea to keep him around long playing 4th line forward minutes.

Desharnais should be rewarded with a little of the same money and goodwill, and who knows, maybe he can light a little (no pun intended) fire on our 2nd line. He's also further along in his pro development and IMHO is more ready to be presented with the next level of challenge (or conversely, his development benefits less from continuing to play top minutes in the AHL).
I really don't understand why they did that. Weber is having a career year in the AHL and they call him up to play him as a Forward and put him on the 2nd wave of our PP.
I really fail to see how this will help him, in any way. I understand that, as you say, we didn't add up the PPs but seeing how the Refs were, why put Weber on the 2nd wave when his bread and butter is the PP?..But wtv, we didn't have much time there anyways.

I do get that they needed to call up a D in case one of ours gets injured or sick, but there's no need to bring a hot young prospect if we won't use him properly, I'd rather they called Henry up.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post

Desharnais will ABSOLUTELY NOT bring the same defensive game as Pyatt. Pyatt was a TWO-time WJC champion, while Desharnais went undrafted. Not many players play on Team Canada at 18, usually just the top draft choices. But Pyatt was so strong defensively that he made the squad and did very well, too.

If you think Desharnais is SO FAST, then Pyatt is lightning. Desharnais' big problem is PRECISELY that he is NOT fast enough to make up for his incredible lack of size.

Will Desharnais be able to bring NHL level offence? I doubt it, but here I could be wrong. He might be another Grabovski, a player who can play 2nd line center on a WEAK team.

Not only do I prefer Pyatt to Desharnais (by a mile), but I'm not sure Desharnais can even generate more offence than Boyd or Darche at the NHL level.
Of course Pyatt is faster, it's his strongest point and it's why he's so great on the PK. Don't discredit DD's speed though because it's one of the big reasons he's managed a pro career at all. The difference between them is that Desharnais is really crafty offensively. He has a great hockey IQ and he'll set up plays and crash the net.

You make it seem as if I was bashing Pyatt but I wasn't, I like him as a player but at this point why would it hurt to get DD in to try a few games in his place? He could fill in for him on the PK (he plays PK with the dogs) and contribute much more offensively. We're not talking about benching first line players, there's no harm in switchin' around guys who are going to play under 10 minutes a game.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Thinkbig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post

thanks!!! desharnais is perfect for europe or the ahl.. not the nhl.

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 10:45 PM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate View Post
I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one thinking exactly the same.
Eller is as good (as invisible) as Maxwell.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote