HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers re-acquire Syvret + prospect for Maroon & Laliberte

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2010, 02:53 PM
  #51
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Nothing for nothing trade. You cold do worse than Syvret as an AHL callup in a pinch. He might become useful come late season or playoff time. Maroon and Laliberte had close to no chance of being useful, so i think its a plus.
Maroon is the only real potential player in this deal, and at this point, he was worthless to us. This was a nothing-nothing deal for Philadelphia and a potential steal and a half for Anaheim.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:56 PM
  #52
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 11,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Maroon is the only real potential player in this deal, and at this point, he was worthless to us. This was a nothing-nothing deal for Philadelphia and a potential steal and a half for Anaheim.
Definitely. I like the move from Anaheim's perspective, but from our viewpoint we weren't going to get anything for Maroon, and theres no chance he would suit up again, so I'm OK with the move.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 03:00 PM
  #53
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin
 
Vinegar Strokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Collins
Country: United States
Posts: 5,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
He can win the puck along the wall, he's got soft hands so he can certainly pass/cycle, and he uses his size very well.

He'd probably player very well with Getzlaf and Perry. Most players would, particularly ones with net presence and incredible hands.
Well that's at least exciting in theory. Hopefully he gets his chance with them, it would really help our scoring depth if he could contribute.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 04:27 PM
  #54
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dreams View Post
How's Maroon's cycle game? I'm interested to see how he'd fare on a line with Getzlaf and Perry. They usually work well with big bodied players that go to the net hard and have decent hands and that would allow Ryan to go back to carrying his own line.

Thanks in advance.
Big body, really has soft hands around the net. Good when he is deep in the offensive zone. Skating is still below average at best. Stamina is still a issue. Is not the crash and banger you would expect for a man his size. Will get caught in the offensive zone by quick outlet passes. It is a shame it did not work out for him here because he is a intriguing individual. Maybe you guys will find out what he did here to piss the Flyers brass off. Whatever it was he was done here. Good Luck.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 04:28 PM
  #55
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 500
They actually got more for Maroon than I thought. At least Syvret knows the org and could be a callup and is a great AHL D.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 04:30 PM
  #56
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
It will be interesting to see if syvret cuts in to the pp time of the 2 studs on the back end gustaffson and Lehtivouri. Then again their whole d is a mess. Bourdon has played well of late i heard.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 04:48 PM
  #57
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,925
vCash: 955
Meh.

Syvret will never be an NHL regular. I don't know anything about Bordson.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 04:56 PM
  #58
Emerald Duck
Registered User
 
Emerald Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Big body, really has soft hands around the net. Good when he is deep in the offensive zone. Skating is still below average at best. Stamina is still a issue. Is not the crash and banger you would expect for a man his size. Will get caught in the offensive zone by quick outlet passes. It is a shame it did not work out for him here because he is a intriguing individual. Maybe you guys will find out what he did here to piss the Flyers brass off. Whatever it was he was done here. Good Luck.
Sounds like Dustin Penner 2.0 for the Ducks organization. Hopefully he'll develop into an NHL power forward and will find the game to play with Getzlaf/Perry as a true LW with a left-handed shot.

What's the story with Laliberte ? Can't find much information on him and he's not listed in the HF's prospects section for the Flyers.

Emerald Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 04:59 PM
  #59
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Duck View Post
Sounds like Dustin Penner 2.0 for the Ducks organization. Hopefully he'll develop into an NHL power forward and will find the game to play with Getzlaf/Perry as a true LW with a left-handed shot.

What's the story with Laliberte ? Can't find much information on him and he's not listed in the HF's prospects section for the Flyers.
Laliberte is a career AHLer that can jump up into the fold at times and be moderately successful I guess.

He's a goal-scorer. He's said before he patterns his game off Gagne, but Gagne was always ahead of the rush. Laliberte lags behind the rush in the AHL and is generally invisible. He's not as good as Gagne at anything. He's pretty mediocre all around.

Good luck with Maroon. The Ducks are my team from the West, and I'm happy he ended up with them as opposed to a lot of other teams.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 05:00 PM
  #60
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Laliberte is a floater

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 05:24 PM
  #61
Bill_Meltzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 457
vCash: 500
Maroon has NHL caliber hands, but is a subpar skater and a defensive liability. Add in the issues he had with coaches and at least two teammates and it was pretty much a no-brainer that he needed to go, despite his stats.

BTW, last season I was told off the record by a member of the Flyers organization that he didn't think Maroon was going to make it to the NHL because of his skating and a lack of commitment to working on the areas they wanted to see him improve.

Personally, I think he had worked hard to turn around the conditioning issues that were the biggest knock on him and had also improved a bit defensively, but I guess not as much as the organization wanted.


Last edited by Bill_Meltzer: 11-21-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 05:43 PM
  #62
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,968
vCash: 500
That makes sense, but I doubt him not progressing enough for the Flyers' liking is a reason for him to be removed from the club. That's a pretty bizarre precedent to set.

I highly doubt that's the reason for these issues or even at the base of these issues.

Maroon seemingly progressed every year, particularly in terms of his skating.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 05:56 PM
  #63
Bill_Meltzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
That makes sense, but I doubt him not progressing enough for the Flyers' liking is a reason for him to be removed from the club. That's a pretty bizarre precedent to set.

I highly doubt that's the reason for these issues or even at the base of these issues.

Maroon seemingly progressed every year, particularly in terms of his skating.

He was removed because of his problems with coaches -- which apparently predated Gilbert -- and he was also not particularly well-liked in the locker room for reasons that I don't know. For that matter, I don't know the specific nature of the problems with the coaches, either, and no one will talk about it.

When the club talked up Testwuide and Holmstrom before the season and never mentioned him as a potential callup, it was already a red flag.

As I noted above, a member of the organization said privately last year that he didn't see Maroon making it but referred only to on-ice reasons.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 06:13 PM
  #64
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,968
vCash: 500
His troubles definitely predate Gilbert? Because I've never heard anything to suggest that.

I first heard about these issues at the end of last season, which applies for most people here I assume.

I do find it bizarre then, if that's the case, that he was so highly discussed as a potential Flyer before 2009-10 when he missed a lot of camp due to injury.

It didn't appear at that point if there was anything wrong. He was even promoted through articles on Flyers.NHL.com, something that's noticeable when Flyers think highly of specific prospects.

Kalinski was as well for that matter, and he has disappeared from the spotlight as well. I'm not sure, but I think Legein had an article as well.

It's not as if every Flyers' prospect gets a high profile article on the Flyers' website, so I consider that a pretty telling point about how the organization feels about a specific prospect.

Of course, recently there was a report that Maroon, Legein, and Kalinski were involved negatively with the coach.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 09:47 PM
  #65
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,050
vCash: 500
Regarding Rob Bordson, he's a 6'2" playmaking centre, which we need more of on the Phantoms.

Don't know much about him, but a 22 yr old college kid who plays C with skill will fit right in with the current crop. He has as much chance of playing for the Flyers as the rest of the guys in this deal.

Who knows, maybe he was on our scouts' radar when he signed as a Jr with the Ducks.

Edit: memo to self: buy a lottery ticket.

http://www.csnphilly.com/11/21/10/Fl...701&feedID=704

Bordson, 22, is in his first year of professional hockey, having signed with Anaheim following three seasons at the University of Minnesota-Duluth. He appeared in 15 games for the Ducks’ AHL affiliate, the Syracuse Crunch, where he had a goal and two assists.

"He’s a guy we actually tried to sign last spring after his college season ended," Holmgren said. "And he ended up playing with Anaheim. He’s a good kid, we call him a prospect."


Here's a decent profile:
http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2010/3...ut-rob-bordson

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=99475

http://www.hockeyforum.com/hockey-tr...eim-ducks.html


Last edited by Larry44: 11-21-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 10:00 PM
  #66
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,252
vCash: 156
hmm. I can't decide if I care or not. Will this really have any impact, or was it just an attempt to get something for Maroon?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 10:02 PM
  #67
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
So ends the saga of Patrick Maroon. Have fun with him Ana.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:07 AM
  #68
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,610
vCash: 50
should of traded Klotz in that trade as well. He has negative trade value anyway. other then that, Meh. Maroon was never going to play for us anyway. so whatever.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 01:45 AM
  #69
goalby66
Registered User
 
goalby66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to goalby66
With Syracuse in the same division as the Phatoms, it ought to be interesting to see how Maroon plays against us. Won't see him back in Glens Falls again until early February though

goalby66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 04:06 AM
  #70
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
He was removed because of his problems with coaches -- which apparently predated Gilbert -- and he was also not particularly well-liked in the locker room for reasons that I don't know. For that matter, I don't know the specific nature of the problems with the coaches, either, and no one will talk about it.

When the club talked up Testwuide and Holmstrom before the season and never mentioned him as a potential callup, it was already a red flag.

As I noted above, a member of the organization said privately last year that he didn't see Maroon making it but referred only to on-ice reasons.
Today's Daily News sites "Behavioral Issues and Attitude Problems" I too thought is was strange this past summer when his name was never mentioned. If I remember correctly he did not play much in the pre season either. Oh well time to move on.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 06:14 AM
  #71
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
His troubles definitely predate Gilbert? Because I've never heard anything to suggest that.

I first heard about these issues at the end of last season, which applies for most people here I assume.

I do find it bizarre then, if that's the case, that he was so highly discussed as a potential Flyer before 2009-10 when he missed a lot of camp due to injury.

It didn't appear at that point if there was anything wrong. He was even promoted through articles on Flyers.NHL.com, something that's noticeable when Flyers think highly of specific prospects.

Kalinski was as well for that matter, and he has disappeared from the spotlight as well. I'm not sure, but I think Legein had an article as well.

It's not as if every Flyers' prospect gets a high profile article on the Flyers' website, so I consider that a pretty telling point about how the organization feels about a specific prospect.

Of course, recently there was a report that Maroon, Legein, and Kalinski were involved negatively with the coach.
It cant be true then Cliff, you didnt get the memo. Such a shock to see maroon traded. Gee who didnt see that coming in the summer.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 06:29 AM
  #72
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Today's Daily News sites "Behavioral Issues and Attitude Problems" I too thought is was strange this past summer when his name was never mentioned. If I remember correctly he did not play much in the pre season either. Oh well time to move on.
Let's see if I can summarize:
Homer: Pat, we want you to spend the summer working on your skating and partying a bit less.

Pat: Sorry, I'm going to play in the world roller hockey championships and drink beer with my buddies.

Homer: But it's the bad cherrypicking habits and poor, upright skating stride you learned playing roller hockey that are holding back your chances of making the NHL.

Pat: Cheers!

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 07:18 AM
  #73
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
The staff is discussing Maroon right now and how he might be able to jump onto the Ducks' roster immediately.

It's a little frustrating hearing him get praised so much.
This reminds me of the Patrick Sharp trade in that it is giving up potential for not a whole lot in return. Sure, Maroon might be nothing, but Syvret is not going to make the big club except as an emergency.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 08:04 AM
  #74
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,790
vCash: 500
Welcome back Syvy.

I love this kid's attitude, and I think he'll be a tweener forever. Reliable callup in case of injury, solid AHL'er the rest of the time.

At least they got something for Maroon, and here's hoping for Maroon's sake that he's learned a couple of valuable lessons that will serve him well elsewhere. You had to wonder when he didn't even get a shot at a preseason game, when a lot of others with less talent did. I'm hoping Legein doesn't fall into the same category - I'm really pulling for that kid.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 08:23 AM
  #75
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
This reminds me of the Patrick Sharp trade in that it is giving up potential for not a whole lot in return. Sure, Maroon might be nothing, but Syvret is not going to make the big club except as an emergency.
Traded under diff circumstances though. They did get Ellison back who was still a prospect and did have some nhl experience under his belt. Wonder how his game these days in Russia, if he has improved at all. He just didnít pan out. In this instance they are getting a long shot prospect and ahl vet to help stabilize the young bucks on the farm. Wonder how happy syvret is at this point and if the flyers talked to him before the deal was made?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.