HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings Leaning Towards Short-Term With Doughty

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2010, 11:33 AM
  #1
ukyo
Registered User
 
ukyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Country: United States
Posts: 1,746
vCash: 500
Kings Leaning Towards Short-Term With Doughty

Didn't see this posted yet:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...rumors-dubious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre LeBrun
Doughty talks not begun

Well, you can't mention Stamkos and not the player taken right after him in the 2008 NHL entry draft, Drew Doughty, right? I wrote a few weeks ago that the Kings were drawing up different contract proposals for Doughty's camp. Talks, as far as I can tell, still haven't begun, but one thing I was told Friday is that the Kings at this point are leaning toward a short-term deal instead of the multiyear deals you usually see for these young stars; the reason being that the Kings are weary of the uncertainty of the next CBA. I don't think you can rule out a long-term deal, because, after all, it all depends on the money, but short term is where the Kings are leaning right now.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 11:54 AM
  #2
null33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo View Post

Lombardi's big on fitness and expects players to work very hard at it. He seems to consider it a mark of professionalism and commitment. He mentions it all the time.

Maybe this is what happens when you show up at camp out of shape.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 12:06 PM
  #3
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars H View Post
Lombardi's big on fitness and expects players to work very hard at it. He seems to consider it a mark of professionalism and commitment. He mentions it all the time.

Maybe this is what happens when you show up at camp out of shape.
No maybe about it, but we will see. I doubt short-term deals would even be proposed by the Kings if the maturity and commitment were there on Doughty's part.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:29 PM
  #4
RightKinger
Registered User
 
RightKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars H View Post
Lombardi's big on fitness and expects players to work very hard at it. He seems to consider it a mark of professionalism and commitment. He mentions it all the time.

Maybe this is what happens when you show up at camp out of shape.
Wait, how do we know Doughty is out of shape again? I must have missed something because that's what everyone on this board is saying now. Where did this come from?

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:34 PM
  #5
OK Computer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hollywood
Country: Armenia
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
Wait, how do we know Doughty is out of shape again? I must have missed something because that's what everyone on this board is saying now. Where did this come from?
he looks fat, slow, and out of position half the time. he needs to get his ish together

OK Computer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:09 PM
  #6
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,736
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
Wait, how do we know Doughty is out of shape again? I must have missed something because that's what everyone on this board is saying now. Where did this come from?
Have you watched a single game this year? Drew Doughtinflas looks like he swallowed Cleveland.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:35 PM
  #7
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion
 
Coach Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,652
vCash: 500
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see LA keep it short-term. I like Doughty more than Phaneuf but everyone was willing to tie down Dion for serious money when he had his first two successful seasons. Intriguing situation in LA with the defensive depth. I am really curious to see what Doughty commands on a short deal.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:52 PM
  #8
wicker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Have you watched a single game this year? Drew Doughtinflas looks like he swallowed Cleveland.
While a lot of the criticism is true, I honestly don't think he is fatter this season. Last season, he had a more pronounced double chin going, and in some of the recent pics/vids we've seen, he looks skinny, actually.

The problem is that he is not in game shape, and while it would be nice to blame that on the few weeks he spent recovering from a concussion, it isn't like he was playing very well before it occurred.

He needs to take working out seriously, bottom line. Since Lombardi was so quick to call out Kopitar for not being in shape, I hope that he will/has called Doughty out, at least privately.

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:54 PM
  #9
wicker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see LA keep it short-term. I like Doughty more than Phaneuf but everyone was willing to tie down Dion for serious money when he had his first two successful seasons. Intriguing situation in LA with the defensive depth. I am really curious to see what Doughty commands on a short deal.
The one thing that Phaneuf lacks now and has always lacked, is elite hockey IQ. Doughty has that in spades, so the comparison isn't one I take seriously. If DD seriously starts working on his conditioning, then this should be a blip in the radar.

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:57 PM
  #10
KingNothing4
Registered User
 
KingNothing4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Basement of Staples
Country: United States
Posts: 850
vCash: 500
He definitely needs to take his conditioning and healthy eating more serious. He is still a kid, but he needs someone to help turn him into a "professional" quicker....more quick...more quicker...w/e. Made me think of that video of Greene, Stoll, Doughty @ Yard House. How many Diet Cokes did he drink? Around 10 if I remember right... Still Ithink, and hope, as he grows older he will just get better at the "professioanlism" and he still plays damn good hockey.

Maybe this is Dean using that logic that they have to earn that big 3rd contract?


Last edited by KingNothing4: 11-21-2010 at 03:03 PM.
KingNothing4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 03:11 PM
  #11
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,391
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Drew looks like a different player, no doubt about it. I don't bring it up because you are sure to be flamed for saying anything about the second coming. My first repsonse to his slow start was more about attitude than conditioning. He looks like a guy who has bought into his own hype and just expects great things to happen for him without putting in the effort. Stamkos was mentored by Gary Roberts, a player who was pretty good then realized he would have to take his conditioning to Jerry Rice-like levels if he wanted a long career. Now Stamkos has a guy like Marty St Louis who has had to work his butt off to get to where he is at and stay there. Who does LA have like either of those 2 players? Kopitar? Another player who has to be told to stay away from pizza and cheeseburgers. Stoll is the only player on LA who strikes me as a guy who takes it to another level, not just doing what is expected of him. Some of you guys come into contact with these guys in street clothes, it would be interesting if anybody has noticed anything. And this conditioning problem which SEEMS to be going on in LA sure could use a guy like Jerome Iginla to show the other players jsut eating right and hitting the gym doesn't cut it. You've got to take it to another level.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 03:19 PM
  #12
DAkings20
Kings can't score
 
DAkings20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valencia, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,975
vCash: 500
Once a fatty always a fatty. Short-term or not I wanna know the amount, I'm sure DL will try his best to get a bargain.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 03:29 PM
  #13
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Drew looks like a different player, no doubt about it. I don't bring it up because you are sure to be flamed for saying anything about the second coming. My first repsonse to his slow start was more about attitude than conditioning. He looks like a guy who has bought into his own hype and just expects great things to happen for him without putting in the effort. Stamkos was mentored by Gary Roberts, a player who was pretty good then realized he would have to take his conditioning to Jerry Rice-like levels if he wanted a long career. Now Stamkos has a guy like Marty St Louis who has had to work his butt off to get to where he is at and stay there. Who does LA have like either of those 2 players? Kopitar? Another player who has to be told to stay away from pizza and cheeseburgers. Stoll is the only player on LA who strikes me as a guy who takes it to another level, not just doing what is expected of him. Some of you guys come into contact with these guys in street clothes, it would be interesting if anybody has noticed anything. And this conditioning problem which SEEMS to be going on in LA sure could use a guy like Jerome Iginla to show the other players jsut eating right and hitting the gym doesn't cut it. You've got to take it to another level.
The whole team has looked that way the past 4 games.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 03:29 PM
  #14
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme
 
King Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Riverside, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,051
vCash: 500
i ate a brownie as i read this thread true story

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 04:03 PM
  #15
Willard
Kings All The Way
 
Willard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Just Off Highway 1
Posts: 2,508
vCash: 500
IMO The most plausible reason to want to sign Doughty short-term to make sure he is RFA, not UFA at the end of the contract.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 04:12 PM
  #16
riseandfall9
Registered User
 
riseandfall9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,386
vCash: 500
I think its too early to crap on Doughty.

The whole team is playing bad. Even the players who most of you say are playing bad.

Doughty will pick up in the next few weeks and all will be back to normal until sometime in February when we take another slide.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 04:37 PM
  #17
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,736
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
I think its too early to crap on Doughty.

The whole team is playing bad. Even the players who most of you say are playing bad.

Doughty will pick up in the next few weeks and all will be back to normal until sometime in February when we take another slide.
I don't think he's been playing that bad he's just out of game shape.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 04:37 PM
  #18
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
I haven't any doubts that DD and his people have recently been in discussions with DL/Kings about a long term deal. I feel that there number expectations on both sides are simply being batted about right now but I also feel that soon they will start putting things down in earnest.

In my opinion.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 04:56 PM
  #19
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14
 
CTKingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 2,361
vCash: 500
I think Doughty "problems" are more so that he is no secret anymore. He's the biggest name on the team now and he's gotta adjust to that... The pressure on Doughty is being ramped up by the other team. He'll find his away eventually... I thought Doughty for the most part has look pretty dang solid defensively... (with the exception past few games...) His offensive numbers are what are low and that's where he's getting the new extra pressure on him. Other teams now know that Doughty can shoot the puck. So the pressure is on.

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 05:12 PM
  #20
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,391
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingOmatic View Post
I think Doughty "problems" are more so that he is no secret anymore. He's the biggest name on the team now and he's gotta adjust to that... The pressure on Doughty is being ramped up by the other team. He'll find his away eventually... I thought Doughty for the most part has look pretty dang solid defensively... (with the exception past few games...) His offensive numbers are what are low and that's where he's getting the new extra pressure on him. Other teams now know that Doughty can shoot the puck. So the pressure is on.
I agree, Fox and Miller pointed that out I believe in the last game where you could see the other team kind of shading towards Dought and Kopitar to get the puck to other players. The result is big offensive numbers from Stoll, Williams and Johnson. But, I also believe there is something going on with Doughty. It's all speculation whether or not it's hitting the chocolate donuts again or he needs an attitude adjustment, maybe The Insider can do some digging for us poor fans stuck out in the cold?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 05:14 PM
  #21
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion
 
Coach Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker View Post
The one thing that Phaneuf lacks now and has always lacked, is elite hockey IQ. Doughty has that in spades, so the comparison isn't one I take seriously. If DD seriously starts working on his conditioning, then this should be a blip in the radar.
It wasn't meant to be a comparison of the two players but rather what can happen when a team invests long-term in a player who has two outstanding years of his ELC. Phaneuf was Norris Candidate and 'defenceman of the future' in Calgary. Hell, he was even their 'franchise player' but quickly fell out of favor and his contract was moved at a cost rather than a commodity.

DL always seems to be extra cautious with his spending and contract negotiations so I can see him being reluctant to put any contract on the table that is high in years.

As an aside, who do you think gets more: Weber or Doughty on the next contract?

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 05:21 PM
  #22
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
But, I also believe there is something going on with Doughty. It's all speculation whether or not it's hitting the chocolate donuts again or he needs an attitude adjustment, maybe The Insider can do some digging for us poor fans stuck out in the cold?
... Could it be that, aside from the extra checking attention he's received, the fact that he shouldn't have had his defensive pairing with Scuderi dissolved, and that maybe he still isn't 100% recovered from his concussion? And yet, with all that, he's on pace for around 45 points and is a +7 after 13 games.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 05:32 PM
  #23
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Could it be tht, aside from the extra checking attention he's received, the fact that he shouldn't have had his defensive pairing with Scuderi dissolved, and that maybe he still isn't 100% recovered from his concussion? And yet, with all that, he's on pace for around 45 points and is a +7 after 13 games.
All possible. The concussion argument holds less weight tho because he didn't look much better before the concussion. The d pairing argument is purely a comfort thing. He has also been playing with Scuds since Mitchell got injured so there goes that. Doughty isn't playing poorly for an NHL defenseman. But he is playing poorly for the next Ray Borque and we know for a fact he came to campput of shape. .

As for Tikkanens comment about the insider doing some digging for us... lol.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 05:45 PM
  #24
BigBrown
They did it again!
 
BigBrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
All possible. The concussion argument holds less weight tho because he didn't look much better before the concussion. The d pairing argument is purely a comfort thing. He has also been playing with Scuds since Mitchell got injured so there goes that. Doughty isn't playing poorly for an NHL defenseman. But he is playing poorly for the next Ray Borque and we know for a fact he came to campput of shape. .

As for Tikkanens comment about the insider doing some digging for us... lol.
How do we know he came to camp out of shape? Everybody seems to be mentioning this but where does that information come from? Didn't he lose a bunch of weight over the summer? If it's a fact as you say, please provide a link because I must have missed it.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 05:48 PM
  #25
Chazz Reinhold
Registered User
 
Chazz Reinhold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Stanley Cup
Country: United States
Posts: 6,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
How do we know he came to camp out of shape? Everybody seems to be mentioning this but where does that information come from? Didn't he lose a bunch of weight over the summer? If it's a fact as you say, please provide a link because I must have missed it.
He failed the fitness tests at the beginning of training camp the first time around. He had to retake them. That's pretty good evidence right there.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.