Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Central Europe Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Italy

Marko Daňo

Old
11-21-2010, 01:43 PM
slovakiasnextone

vCash: 500
Marko Daňo

I thought he deserves his own thread on here. A late 94 birth (born on November the 30th), the son of a former Slovak NT player Jozef Daňo he seems to be the next Dukla Trenčín star forward in the making. Last season as 14/15 year old he had a fine rookie U18 campaign with 25 points in 36 games, but this season it seems he´s really broken out. In his few games in the U18 league he scored at a 2PPG pace and his 14 points in 7 games earned him a promotion to Dukla Trenčín´s U20 team. And he´s doing really well there as well scoring 9 goals and 6 assists for 15 points in 13 games for a pretty average Dukla team (who usually are dominating, but now are only 6th in the standings)- actually his PPG average numbers are very similar to those that Tomáš Jurčo put up for Košice at the same age. Also, he has scored pretty much in every U17 national team game he´s played this season. He seems to be pretty well built for his age as well at 180cm/80kg.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 05:52 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

I saw him play the US at a recent U17 tournament. I would say he was certainly the most noticeable Slovak skater. He scored their only goal on a bomb of a slap shot and displayed a good amount of skill with the puck. The only shortcoming might have been his tendency to try and stick handle through everyone on his own, though the inability of his linemates to present him with more options might have made him appear more selfish than he would have been otherwise.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 03:16 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
I thought he deserves his own thread on here...
He and others like Paulovic, Török ...

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:38 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I saw him play the US at a recent U17 tournament. I would say he was certainly the most noticeable Slovak skater. He scored their only goal on a bomb of a slap shot and displayed a good amount of skill with the puck. The only shortcoming might have been his tendency to try and stick handle through everyone on his own, though the inability of his linemates to present him with more options might have made him appear more selfish than he would have been otherwise.
Thanks for the insight, cagney. I think that it might be very well a bit of both- the inability of his linemates and being selfish. It hardly is a rarity with Slovak young players, but I guess it is understandable that a player is more likely to be or at least look selfish growing up in the Slovak hockey environment, where the skills of his peers and sometimes even of older kids doesn´t match the ones of the individual than for example a kid growing up in the Swedish hockey system. But it´s nothing that couldn´t change especially with a 15 soon to be 16 years old.

Old
12-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Lukko4

I first saw Marko Dano about 4 years ago in the summer during a practice, and he was dominating. Has a heavy shot, and a real passion for the game, the kid does not like to lose. Comes from a good family and is a pretty good kid himself.

Lukko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:10 AM
Indian

Yesterday, being only 16 years 1 month and 21 days old, he played his first senior game for Trencin in a 3:2 win over U20 Orange team as a third youngest player ever in Slovak extraliga after Marian Gaborik and Andrej Meszaros.

Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:21 PM
slovakiasnextone

And he played his 2nd game tonight against Zvolen, I managed to see at least the third period, but only online on huste, from what I saw he played on the PP and I think I even saw a glimpse of him on the PP once, he looked okay, managed to win a few face-offs, but sometimes the opposition knocked him off the puck way too easily, but it´s really tough to get a real impression on him from such a game, because: Dukla was bad. No, erase that Zvolen was bad in that one period I saw. Like really, really bad. Astoundingly Dukla managed to be even worse than that. They´re 4th line actually managed to look less pathetic than their 1st one. Oh my, how far the mighty have fallen.

EDIT: Now I see that Marko actually had his 1st point tonight before I started watching, an assist on Dukla´s only goal.

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 01-21-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old
03-29-2011, 04:04 PM
slovakiasnextone

I thought this was pretty fun, from Dukla Trenčín´s official website:

That´s Marko Daňo as a little boy together with his dad Jozef and two other Slovak players Ľubomír Sekerᚠand Branislav Jánoš, while all three played for Czech Extraliga team Třínec. This season Daňo Jr. has played with the two latter named in Trenčín....

Old
09-17-2011, 09:11 AM
slovakiasnextone

He started the 2011/2012 season with Dukla´s senior team. Funny thing, looking at the roster at SZĽH, they have him listed at 179cm/79kg, so a 1cm smaller and a 1kg lighter than last year.

Old
09-18-2011, 01:49 PM
slovakiasnextone

He got his first two goals tonight in the 7-0 blowout of Martin.

Old
09-20-2011, 03:29 AM
Indian

There is a nice interview with Marko on sme.sk. Btw I didn't realize he scored those two goals within 79 seconds, sounds even more impressive now.

Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 05:15 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
There is a nice interview with Marko on sme.sk. Btw I didn't realize he scored those two goals within 79 seconds, sounds even more impressive now.
Yep, a really good interview, sounds like a smart kid

EDIT: Šport has one too: http://denniksport.sk/article/187801...rsky-sampionat

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 09-20-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old
09-21-2011, 03:36 AM
alko

lets not be over hyped...
Its a great talent, but like his couch said - he has a lot work to do....

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:40 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
lets not be over hyped...
Its a great talent, but like his couch said - he has a lot work to do....
He does still have a lot work to do, just like any talented 16 year old hockey player in the world has, but I just don´t see how anyone´s OVERhyping him, so far he´s deserved the hype he´s got.

Old
11-05-2011, 03:01 AM
slovakiasnextone

Update

For the past few games Marko has been playing on Trenčín´s first line together with Ján Pardavý and Tibor Melichárek (both of whom are more than twice as old as he is btw lol) and has been flying ou there and has been one of his team´s most noticeable players and has 4 assists in his last 4 games. I remember that cagney mentioned when he saw him at a U17 tourney that he tried to stickhandle through everyone too much, from what I´ve seen lately he can make some unbelievably smart passes for a kid his age (sometimes too smart for his own teammates though), he´s also forechecking all the time and can win the puck this way. He hasn´t scored since the game against Martin at the start of the season, but he´s getting loads of shots on goal from all kinds of positions, so it is bound to come eventually. As you´d expect from a skilled Slovak forward he can stickhandle through his opponents. He´s also been playing both the PP and the PK. Even though he is trying to play D as well, he seems a bit lost in his own zone some time, but so does the whole of Dukla Trenčín right now as they are in a slump after they´re good start of the season. Sadly there are no stats on either the TOI or the FO% in the Slovak league, but I´d say he has been playing around 15+ minutes lately.

Next weekend he will play at his first international U20 tournament and it will be interesting to see how he deals with that kind of competition, he needs to put on a big show in order to secure a spot on the WJC team.

Btw while I realize that this was back when this was a totally different league back then, but just for the sake of keeping records, I guess the scoring record for a 16/17 year old in the league is Gáborík´s 20 points in 30 games in 98/99 season, right? Think Daňo can beat it? I think beating the point total is by no means a stretch, though the PPG pace might be a different matter.

Old
11-05-2011, 09:57 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Nice to hear he's showing that kind of ability. The game I saw him really wasn't the best to assess his talents as the Slovak team really, really struggled.

There really haven't been many Slovak players with Dano's talent level who've stayed in Slovakia at his age in the recent past. The only player I can think of is Tatar. When he was Dano's age he played exclusively in juniors so it would seem safe to assume Dano is more advanced at the same point in development.

I do hope that he makes the U20 team for the world juniors as it will be the only major international tournament he'll be able to participate in this year (assuming he doesn't make the mens team, which seems unlikely).

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:52 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Nice to hear he's showing that kind of ability. The game I saw him really wasn't the best to assess his talents as the Slovak team really, really struggled.

There really haven't been many Slovak players with Dano's talent level who've stayed in Slovakia at his age in the recent past. The only player I can think of is Tatar. When he was Dano's age he played exclusively in juniors so it would seem safe to assume Dano is more advanced at the same point in development.

I do hope that he makes the U20 team for the world juniors as it will be the only major international tournament he'll be able to participate in this year (assuming he doesn't make the mens team, which seems unlikely).
I don´t the comparison with Tatar is a good one since Tatar was kind of a late bloomer and also as far a I can remember it were amongst other things also SZĽH regulations that prevented him from getting some Extraliga time earlier- at this point of time he was still contracted to his youth team Dubnica and played in Trenčín on loan, and except for Trenčín´s Jr. and U18 teams he also played for Dubnica´s U18 team in the lower division in order to help them achieve promotion to the U18 Extraliga and therefore couldn´t play the men´s Extraliga.

I think the only player that came close lately was Wings prospect Marek Tvrdoň who got a few games with Nitra in the 09/10 season. He would have played in the league as an 17/18 year old had he not chosen to go to the WHL.

I don´t really think there´s much to compare with, I´m not even sure whether any forward actually played a whole season in the league the year before his draft year, which Daňo most probably will. Gabby only played 33 regular season and 3 play-off games and the only other guy playing that young I could dig up was Tvrdoň´s cousin Štefan Ružička, who got 19 games for Nitra in 01/02 season. But that´s all 10 years ago anyway.

Well, I´m hoping to see him make the WJC roster as well, talented young centers have always been rare in Slovak hockey, even in much better times than in these. Forgetting the age thing based just on poor talent- Tvrdoň-Daňo-Jurčo could ba an even more talented line than Tatar- Viedenský-Pánik used to be. But I doubt we´ll see them play together. As for the men´s NT considering the recent politics of the selection he will have to wait about two decades to get selected.

Old
01-06-2012, 02:20 AM
Kamzik

From the Hockey News Hot List of Impressive Juniors:

Marko Dano, RW – Dukla Trencin (Svk.)
A late 1994 birthday, Dano is one of the youngest players in the tournament, but he didn't play like it. Feisty, physical and confident, he threw big hits and made sound plays against the Finns in a quarterfinal loss. With the game getting out of hand, he earned more offensive opportunities, but even before that he was trusted with penalty kill duties and saw power play time as well. In a supporting role, he tallied three points in five games, including a goal against Finland. Draft eligible in 2013.

Kamzik is offline   Reply With Quote