HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2010, 07:31 PM
RabidBadger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
I guess those 7 that they have are a figment of my imagination.

So does your assistant captain Smith have some mental issues? What the hell was he thinking when he tried to toss the net on Blood saturday nite? I would like to thank him for the powerplay goal though.
Well, ya know, I always try to have a smarmy answer for every situation but I'm pretty stumped about that one. Your Tyler Hirsch (that poor schmo) reference is not off-base. That was some off-the-wall s**t!

Old
11-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Badger36

Quote:
So does your assistant captain Smith have some mental issues? What the hell was he thinking when he tried to toss the net on Blood saturday nite? I would like to thank him for the powerplay goal though.
Blood said something to Smith right before he threw the goal. Id love to know exactly what he said because Ive never seen Smith lose it like that. He is known for being a hothead though and Eaves benched him for the rest of the game for that one.
Ive got to admit, that was one of the most awesome things Ive seen at a Badger hockey game. It isnt every day you see a player throw the goal at another player.

Old
11-16-2010, 05:39 AM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchiefwantdacup View Post
Blood said something to Smith right before he threw the goal. Id love to know exactly what he said because Ive never seen Smith lose it like that. He is known for being a hothead though and Eaves benched him for the rest of the game for that one.
Ive got to admit, that was one of the most awesome things Ive seen at a Badger hockey game. It isnt every day you see a player throw the goal at another player.
Think if a Sioux player had done that.You would be all over him for being a goon.

Old
11-16-2010, 07:41 AM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Think if a Sioux player had done that.You would be all over him for being a goon.
Now what makes you think the "gentlemen" on this board would do that?

It took me a couple watched to realize Smith was trying to take out Blood with the goal. That fact does make me feel better the move was not complete insanity.

Last edited by RabidBadger: 11-16-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old
11-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Badger36

Quote:
If it had been a Sioux player it wouldnt even be news because thats what we all expect from them.
Im fine with what Smith did. Apparently Sue teaches her players that tackling is allowed in hockey and the refs werent calling it, so Smith did what he felt he needed to.
I cant remember the last time that I saw a player get speared on a breakaway attempt right in front of the ref and it wasnt a penalty for interference, but apparently that the level of officiating in the WCHA.
I can also recall at least 4 or 5 instances where UW players blew right by NoDak players on a breakaway and the NoDak player responded by grabbing the Badger by the ankle and dragging him to the ice but again, no call. When you play North Dakota you know thats what they are going to do try to do to you, so its not exactly a big shock but the blown calls by the WCHA refs is was a disappointment.
Just like in the case of that NoDak goal that got overturned. The ref saw the NoDak player in the crease and still said it was a good goal. I dont know who the refs were that officiated that game, but I hope the WCHA assigns them elsewhere in the future.
I can understand Smith's frustration, although it was a pretty stupid penalty.

Last edited by Badger36: 11-16-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old
11-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Dakota Sioux

Somebody needs a crying towel.
Did the player in the cease actually interfere with the goalie? Debatable but hey they didn't need it obviously cause that was an ass kickin.

Old
11-16-2010, 06:34 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
If it had been a Sioux player it wouldnt even be news because thats what we all expect from them.
Im fine with what Smith did. Apparently Sue teaches her players that tackling is allowed in hockey and the refs werent calling it, so Smith did what he felt he needed to.
I cant remember the last time that I saw a player get speared on a breakaway attempt right in front of the ref and it wasnt a penalty for interference, but apparently that the level of officiating in the WCHA.
I can also recall at least 4 or 5 instances where UW players blew right by NoDak players on a breakaway and the NoDak player responded by grabbing the Badger by the ankle and dragging him to the ice but again, no call. When you play North Dakota you know thats what they are going to do try to do to you, so its not exactly a big shock but the blown calls by the WCHA refs is was a disappointment.
Just like in the case of that NoDak goal that got overturned. The ref saw the NoDak player in the crease and still said it was a good goal. I dont know who the refs were that officiated that game, but I hope the WCHA assigns them elsewhere in the future.
I can understand Smith's frustration, although it was a pretty stupid penalty.
The weekend was pretty one sided in the favor of The Green Giouxns...the refs had nothing to do with the outcome. I know both of us, as well as all Badger fans, expected more from a team that has overachieved to this point, against a seasoned team primed for a FF run. Even if the instances you cited were called, Bucky still would have been swept. Like we said before, good learning experience for a young team. I have no doubt Eavers will have the troops ready for the rematch when Broadmoor time rolls around, if not the NCAAs, which is still not out of the question.

The responce against Duh-luth this weekend will be huge in terms of the resolve of this team. Personally I'm expecting a good weekend and season to follow. I can't throw in the towel on a season based on one weekend when the team was clearly overmatched.

I'm not fine with what Smith did at the time he did it since the game was still in the balance. If he did that at a time when Bucky had the game won it would have been awesome I don't mind a little goonery from my team from time to time! You gotta have some attitude to survive in The W, after all.

Old
11-17-2010, 05:31 AM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
The weekend was pretty one sided in the favor of The Green Giouxns...the refs had nothing to do with the outcome. I know both of us, as well as all Badger fans, expected more from a team that has overachieved to this point, against a seasoned team primed for a FF run. Even if the instances you cited were called, Bucky still would have been swept. Like we said before, good learning experience for a young team. I have no doubt Eavers will have the troops ready for the rematch when Broadmoor time rolls around, if not the NCAAs, which is still not out of the question.

The responce against Duh-luth this weekend will be huge in terms of the resolve of this team. Personally I'm expecting a good weekend and season to follow. I can't throw in the towel on a season based on one weekend when the team was clearly overmatched.

I'm not fine with what Smith did at the time he did it since the game was still in the balance. If he did that at a time when Bucky had the game won it would have been awesome I don't mind a little goonery from my team from time to time! You gotta have some attitude to survive in The W, after all.
This is another post why I like you as a poster.You are reasonable.Let's face it,refs miss calls on both teams every weekend and last weekend was no different.As we all know the WCHA refs suck.Thanks RabidBadger and good luck to your team against the Dogs.

Old
11-17-2010, 02:39 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
This is another post why I like you as a poster.You are reasonable.Let's face it,refs miss calls on both teams every weekend and last weekend was no different.As we all know the WCHA refs suck.Thanks RabidBadger and good luck to your team against the Dogs.
It goes both ways; in fact the posting is very reasonable on these boards when you consider the mix of fans that come here. I appreciate the kudos, it's always been mutual between us even if we've had...moments. Good luck to the Sioux as well. They will have their hands full with Blais and company. Omaha is a team I deeply underestimated.

Old
11-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Somebody needs a crying towel.
Not at all. Just calling it as I saw it. I honestly expected NoDak to sweep us and was reasonably pleased that the score was as close as it was.
Quote:
Did the player in the cease actually interfere with the goalie? Debatable but hey they didn't need it obviously cause that was an ass kickin.
Indeed he did, thats why the goal as waived off. You are right though that Sue didnt need it.
At least we can agree that the refs in the WCHA suck.

Last edited by Badger36: 11-17-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old
11-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...111610aac.html
Quote:
Wisconsin men’s hockey head coach Mike Eaves announced today the signing of five student-athletes to National Letters of Intent. The future group of Badgers includes forwards Tyler Lapic (New Prague, Minn.), Matt Paape (Appleton, Wis.), Cody Strang (Madison, Wis.) and Brendan Woods (Palmyra, Pa.), as well as goaltender Joel Rumpel (Swift Current, Saskatchewan).
Looks like a talented group of young players who have a lot of potential. The idea of having a freshman goalie concerns me a bit, but Rumpel sounds like a great athlete so we'll see.
Its nice to see Eaves recruiting in-state players as well.

Last edited by Badger36: 11-17-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old
11-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...111710aaa.html
Quote:
La Bahn Arena is officially a "go."

The Wisconsin State Building Commission on Wednesday gave final approval to a multi-level, hockey and swimming competition and training facility to be constructed adjacent to the Kohl Center on the UW-Madison campus. La Bahn Arena will be named after Charles (UW-Madison '49) and Mary Ann La Bahn, the lead donors for the project.
La Bahn Arena will be a tri-level complex that will include the following:

• 90' by 200' ice sheet for men's and women's hockey practice and women's competition, with seating for approximately 2,400 spectators
• Men's and women's hockey team locker rooms and a visiting team locker room

• Women's hockey office suite and associated support spaces
Currently the Wisconsin women's hockey program plays its home games at the Kohl Center, but the team's practice facility and locker rooms are at the Shell next to Camp Randall Stadium.

The men's hockey team currently practices at the Bob Johnson Hockey Facility adjacent to the Alliant Energy Center in Madison, but has its locker room at the Kohl Center where it plays its home
games.
Im glad to see this project is finally going to become a reality. When the basketball and hockey teams are all playing at home on the same weekend, there can be some serious scheduling conflicts at the Kohl Center.

Old
11-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Not at all. Just calling it as I saw it. I honestly expected NoDak to sweep us and was reasonably pleased that the score was as close as it was.

Indeed he did, thats why the goal as waived off. You are right though that Sue didnt need it.
At least we can agree that the refs in the WCHA suck.
I won't debate the in the crease call but it kind of reminded me of the 99' Stanley Cup when Hull had his foot in the crease on the Cup clinching goal and they didn't wave it off.
But yes we do agree on the horseshyt reffing in the WCHA.They seem to get worse every year.

Old
11-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Badger36

More talk about the new rink in Madison:
http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c002e0.html
Quote:
Mike Eaves doesn't know how many recruits he's lost as University of Wisconsin men's hockey coach due to the lack of an established on-campus practice facility.

"It's hard to measure," he said, "but it was a factor."
Quote:
"It means a lot," said Eaves, whose club currently practices three miles away from campus at the Alliant Energy Center, a place most players reach via scooter. "It's the final jewel in the crown that we have as a hockey program."

Old
11-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Badger36

Well, this weekend Bucky hosts #1 ranked Minnesota-Duluth at the Kohl Center.
Im expecting to see a split this weekend. Just like last year when the Badgers hosted #1 Denver at the Kohl, you can bet the house will be rocking and the Badger fans will make their presence known, which will hopefully give the Badgers a boost (and take UMD off their game).
In the, "meaningless stat that is kind of cool" category, heres something to keep in mind:
http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...-M-Hockey.html
Quote:
The Badgers are 7-2-2 against No. 1 teams under Head Coach Mike Eaves, including 6-1-2 at the Kohl Center.

Old
11-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Badger36

Also, the Badger women head to Pittsburgh this weekend to take on Robert Morris.
It should be a pretty easy 4 point weekend for the Badgers, as they currently have a 9-1-0 record, whereas RMU has a 2-9-0 record.

Old
11-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Badger36

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.co...-reminder.html
Quote:
Bob Barker would like to remind you to have your pets spayed and neutered.

Especially if that pet happens to be a bulldog of some sort. Neuter the bejeesus out it.

Old
11-20-2010, 09:40 AM
RabidBadger

You know, it's getting to be a real p*sser that UW seems to be the brunt of the most infamous WCHA officiating eff-ups. Last night was no different when Jake Gardiner was blatantly tripped which allowed UMD to get the puck and waltz to the net. This has cost the team points against BU and UMD, two of the top teams....pretty important pairwise points. People who know me here know I'm not someone who spouts off about officiating for losses. Runnin' With The Dogs was on The Badgers live chat last night and even she said that was BS way for Duluth to win. Check out her blog, by the way. It's quite good.

For the most part last night was a good bounce back from last week. Hopefully the refs let the teams decide the outcome tonight.

Rest In Peace, Pat Burns. He passed away after battling cancer. He was a good, old school NHL coach who, I thought, was a real benefit to the game.

Last edited by RabidBadger: 11-20-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old
11-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
You know, it's getting to be a real p*sser that UW seems to be the brunt of the most infamous WCHA officiating eff-ups. Last night was no different when Jake Gardiner was blatantly tripped which allowed UMD to get the puck and waltz to the net. This has cost the team points against BU and UMD, two of the top teams....pretty important pairwise points. People who know me here know I'm not someone who spouts off about officiating for losses. Runnin' With The Dogs was on The Badgers live chat last night and even she said that was BS way for Duluth to win. Check out her blog, by the way. It's quite good.

For the most part last night was a good bounce back from last week. Hopefully the refs let the teams decide the outcome tonight.

Rest In Peace, Pat Burns. He passed away after battling cancer. He was a good, old school NHL coach who, I thought, was a real benefit to the game.
No doubt your team has gotten hosed by the horseshyt reffing that is the WCHA. I caught the overtime period when I got home from my girls game and that was as a blatant of a trip as they come.How in the hell do they not call that? No doubt you got robbed of point there.

And yes RIP Pat Burns.My kind of coach,old school.

Old
11-20-2010, 11:41 AM
RabidBadger

Quote:
No doubt your team has gotten hosed by the horseshyt reffing that is the WCHA. I caught the overtime period when I got home from my girls game and that was as a blatant of a trip as they come.How in the hell do they not call that? No doubt you got robbed of point there.

And yes RIP Pat Burns.My kind of coach,old school.
Thanks, bro. It's vindication when other fans support your claims. So there was last night, 2 goals called off against BU, and the now infamous DU game a couple years ago that cost Randy Schmidt his job...I hope there is at least a suspension resulting from last night.

Nice win by your boys in Omaha last night!

Old
11-21-2010, 12:57 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Well with the Gophers in bora bora. I watched the friday night game. Wow, what a non call. If the refs are scared to make a call with 30 seconds left they should not be refs. Worst case, or the chicken way, call a trip and a dive, but you have to call something there. Calling a dive would have been brutal too.

Can the WCHA just to a fresh start with refs.

Old
11-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Badger36

Well, folks, I could sit here and say that the Badgers got screwed by the refs (which they did) but what I take away from this weekend is that as young and inexperiened as this team is, they took the #1 team in the country to overtime 2 nights in a row and played very well against them.
To me, thats something to be happy about.
Hopefully the Badgers keep this in mind and dont get down about losing 4 games in a row.
It doesnt get much easier next weekend with Michigan and Michigan State coming to town. Bucky should be able to get at least 2 points out of that weekend and if they play well they could very well take 4 points from this weekend. Michigan State isnt very good but Michigan is a pretty good.

Old
11-21-2010, 07:48 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Well, folks, I could sit here and say that the Badgers got screwed by the refs (which they did) but what I take away from this weekend is that as young and inexperiened as this team is, they took the #1 team in the country to overtime 2 nights in a row and played very well against them.
To me, thats something to be happy about.
Hopefully the Badgers keep this in mind and dont get down about losing 4 games in a row.
It doesnt get much easier next weekend with Michigan and Michigan State coming to town. Bucky should be able to get at least 2 points out of that weekend and if they play well they could very well take 4 points from this weekend. Michigan State isnt very good but Michigan is a pretty good.
I'm with you about being pleased with the effort. The only team that has really shown the inexperience of Bucky this year had been NoDak...no shame in that. I'm also pretty displeased with the ref-job; when Gopher and Sioux fans show up on your board in a show of support (thanks MN_Goph and D-Sioux) you know you've been screwed. The OT futility needs to stop as well. I think the last OT win was against St. Cloud in '07. One win will open the floodgates...as will a goal for Jason Clark, who is way too talented to only have 1 assist in 9 games.

Hopefully the College Hockey Showcase (one of my favorite series of the year) will see the team right itself after 4 tough losses. I never underestimate Sparty because I think Rick Comley is the best coach in the game after Jerry York; he always gets the most out of his teams regardless of the depth. I wish the dude would coach at the WJCs. Fortunately Bucky has faired pretty well against them in recent years. And yeah, Michigan is Michigan. It's always a big deal to beat them in any given year.

Old
11-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
I'm with you about being pleased with the effort. The only team that has really shown the inexperience of Bucky this year had been NoDak...no shame in that. I'm also pretty displeased with the ref-job; when Gopher and Sioux fans show up on your board in a show of support (thanks MN_Goph and D-Sioux) you know you've been screwed. The OT futility needs to stop as well. I think the last OT win was against St. Cloud in '07. One win will open the floodgates...as will a goal for Jason Clark, who is way too talented to only have 1 assist in 9 games.

Hopefully the College Hockey Showcase (one of my favorite series of the year) will see the team right itself after 4 tough losses. I never underestimate Sparty because I think Rick Comley is the best coach in the game after Jerry York; he always gets the most out of his teams regardless of the depth. I wish the dude would coach at the WJCs. Fortunately Bucky has faired pretty well against them in recent years. And yeah, Michigan is Michigan. It's always a big deal to beat them in any given year.
Gonna disagree with on the best coach after York. I would put York,Berenson,and Blais in a category by themselves. After those 3 I'm not to sure who follows.

Old
11-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Badger36

Quote:
And yeah, Michigan is Michigan. It's always a big deal to beat them in any given year.
Amen to that, beating Michigan never gets old. I also agree that Michigan State is not to be taken lightly. They are kind of like Michigan Tech in that while they arent very good, they are just good enough to be annoying and could beat you if you dont make a point of putting them away early.
BTW, if anyone reading this is planning on going to the game on Saturday, the start time has been pushed back an hour due to the Badger football game. The hockey game starts at 8pm.

Last edited by Badger36: 11-22-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Closed Thread