HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which is more valuable to Poile? 4 first round picks or Shea Weber???

Old
11-21-2010, 09:05 AM
MattPreds37

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Not only do we have Blum and Josi with HUGE potential, but we also have Ryan Ellis! I think he is going to be something very special once he gets in the NHL. I think if we have to let go of Suter (because Weber is the face of the franchise), and we can get an elite game breaking forward, that would be great!! We have soo much talent coming up for defense.
We also have Charles- Olivier Roussel who no one ever brings up and play on team QMJHL against the Russians recently..we have tons of defense.

MattPreds37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 12:09 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPreds37 View Post
We also have Charles- Olivier Roussel who no one ever brings up and play on team QMJHL against the Russians recently..we have tons of defense.
No doubt eh,

Thats why I am all for dealing defense for offense!

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 07:53 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
From what I've heard\read, COR has taken some big steps back over the past year or so. Badmouthing other members of the organization to the Montreal media is probably frowned upon as well.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 08:06 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

COR and Ellis are at least three years away. Blum and Josi have an outside shot at a bottom pairing next season but based on what I saw of them last night, they're not quite ready yet.

There is a reason why message board posters aren't GMs ... we'd cripple every franchise with myopic vision and knee-jerk moves.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 09:18 PM
MattPreds37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
COR and Ellis are at least three years away. Blum and Josi have an outside shot at a bottom pairing next season but based on what I saw of them last night, they're not quite ready yet.

There is a reason why message board posters aren't GMs ... we'd cripple every franchise with myopic vision and knee-jerk moves.
This is probably right, but we could use a sniper at all costs. All in all ill be happy adding some solid veteran talent come deadline time...

MattPreds37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 05:53 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
This is probably right, but we could use a sniper at all costs. All in all ill be happy adding some solid veteran talent come deadline time...
I see us needing to get healthy at all costs ... then we can see what the roster needs as far as personnel changes. Only seven forwards have played every game and we're just 18 games into the season. It's hard to assess when SK74 started the season with a broken foot, Lombardi has been out almost all season with his concussion, Legwand is out, Erat missed seven games, Goc missed a few games.

So far it's another season of mid pack 5-on-5 scoring with a drought on the man advantage. Eerily familiar.

Basically, even if we lose Shea to an offer sheet (that rarity when it comes to the FA world) the odds of us getting that NHL ready "sniper" that fans keep clamoring for are slim.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Greg1420

I like Suter over Weber and think he'd be an ideal "face of the franchise" here in TN. I think he's a better leader on the ice than Weber and I just assume based on his composure he'd make a better captain off the ice as well. The fact that (as mentioned earlier) he's an American is important to me. His small town I'm just a country boy charm could go a long way with attracting new fans if marketed well. I don't think current fans or potential fans are turned off to the team if Weber goes. I'd be disappointed, but I'm not about to give up my tickets over it

Greg1420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 05:34 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Ive been away from the boards for a while... why the (&()*&(%* is this a four page thread?

This should fall under the definition of an Axiom (n): Something that cannot be proven but is nonetheless self-evident and is accepted as fact.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:01 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1420 View Post
I like Suter over Weber and think he'd be an ideal "face of the franchise" here in TN. I think he's a better leader on the ice than Weber and I just assume based on his composure he'd make a better captain off the ice as well. The fact that (as mentioned earlier) he's an American is important to me. His small town I'm just a country boy charm could go a long way with attracting new fans if marketed well. I don't think current fans or potential fans are turned off to the team if Weber goes. I'd be disappointed, but I'm not about to give up my tickets over it
Well Weber was named captain, not Suter.

Weber signed a deal that makes him a RFA, while Suter's deal expires into UFA.

Those are some very important facts that most likely say if we keep one of the two, its Weber hands down.

Weber is probably the most sought after defenseman in the NHL.

Old
11-23-2010, 02:32 AM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
besides, Poile would just stock pile dmen and we'd still be in the same position.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Ive been away from the boards for a while... why the (&()*&(%* is this a four page thread?

This should fall under the definition of an Axiom (n): Something that cannot be proven but is nonetheless self-evident and is accepted as fact.

I don't understand either a bunch of Tools (that can't find Nashville TN on a Map) starts this crap and everyone is bent outta shape over it. If we believed the Canadian Media our team would be in Hamilton right now. They we assuming that Weber is a UFA from what I understand. That's the only way we would trade him for peanuts at the deadline. Weber to the Leafs for a 3rd round pick (in their dreams).

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
I don't understand either a bunch of Tools (that can't find Nashville TN on a Map) starts this crap and everyone is bent outta shape over it. If we believed the Canadian Media our team would be in Hamilton right now. They we assuming that Weber is a UFA from what I understand. That's the only way we would trade him for peanuts at the deadline. Weber to the Leafs for a 3rd round pick (in their dreams).
The Columbus Blue Jackets offer a 2nd in addition to a 3rd. To make up for the fact that we're in the same division, y'know.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 10:00 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
The Columbus Blue Jackets offer a 2nd in addition to a 3rd. To make up for the fact that we're in the same division, y'know.

win one division game in 11 years and all of a sudden a comedian emerges...

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:51 AM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Yeah, as much as Toronto media give journalism a bad name (assuming they had a good name to begin with) I think this discussion isn't about being bent out of shape about thinking the Preds can't hold on to Weber so much as a very real debate about whether the team can be made stronger by trading from the strength on defense to improve a weakness on offense.

I don't even see it as Nashville "having" to trade one of them, it's if to take the next step Nashville might "want" to trade one of them. I'm not in favour of it, but if you put one of Weber or Suter on the trade block, I can almost guarantee Nashville would get some doozies of offers that would find a lot of people tempted to bite the forbidden fruit.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:22 AM
TMI
Global Moderator

I think to trade Weber (or Suter for that matter) is to tell your players, coaching staff, owners, and fans that we are locked into a rebuild for three years. I don't think we can afford that at this point. Changes that were made to operations are just beginning to translate into ticket sales. Of course then you have the problem of the team potentially being bad anyway, and new faces running away screaming. The real questions is, what do you bet on? The attendance not being a fluke so far this season, and the team staying competitive enough over the next three or four seasons to shore up strong average numbers; or a rebuild not taking us two or three steps back at the gate?

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:28 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

besides to trade weber or suter means the preds have to re do the calandar they are giving away tonight. do you really want david legwand and his just got out of bed hairdo and jerred smithsons molestastache being the cover boys for this team?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
win one division game in 11 years and all of a sudden a comedian emerges...
I resent that, sir. I have always been our comedian, and we've won at least two. Maybe even three.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 07:23 PM
lightning_legwand*

[QUOTE=token grinder;29145093]besides to trade weber or suter means the preds have to re do the calandar they are giving away tonight. do you really want david legwand and his just got out of bed hairdo and jerred smithsons molestastache being the cover boys for this team?[/QUOTE]

Old
11-24-2010, 10:47 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
I don't really know much about the financial situation of the Nashville Predators, but I think Weber is going to be looking for $6M or more. If there's no way they're willing to give that to Weber, then trading him becomes a real possibility.

If they do end up deciding they'll move him, I think they'd be smart to trade him rather than taking the draft picks because waiting for an offer sheet to come by takes you out of the driver's seat. In the end, it all comes down to what you can get for him.

If I'm the Oilers, and I'm sitting there with the 3rd pick in the draft, I'd be on the phone with Poile to see if we could work out a deal for Weber. And definitely if I'm outside the top 3.

Of course, I just can't see the Preds letting him go.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 04:52 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I don't really know much about the financial situation of the Nashville Predators, but I think Weber is going to be looking for $6M or more. If there's no way they're willing to give that to Weber, then trading him becomes a real possibility.
If they do end up deciding they'll move him, I think they'd be smart to trade him rather than taking the draft picks because waiting for an offer sheet to come by takes you out of the driver's seat. In the end, it all comes down to what you can get for him.

If I'm the Oilers, and I'm sitting there with the 3rd pick in the draft, I'd be on the phone with Poile to see if we could work out a deal for Weber. And definitely if I'm outside the top 3.

If Poile will not pay a guy like Weber $6 million, we may as well pack up and ship out! You cannot win a cup with an entire team of no players making $6 million at least. Let alone only one.

If Weber walks because of financial reasons, that is the worst thing to ever happen to Nashville, EVER!

Old
11-29-2010, 09:21 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post

We pay Erat 6 million a year, and Legwand close to it. I don't see the Preds flinching at anything below 7 for Weber.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 08:31 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
I do think the Weber speculation is somewhat poiles fault for making it sound like he expected to get an extension done as soon as Weber showed up for camp.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote