HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I'm done with Easton, Help please.

Old
11-15-2010, 11:16 PM
canuck44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
A little OT, I'm just curious here, but any idea why the pros like STs so much? If it's as durable as many say then it seems like a great stick for your average player, performance is not bad, but if I was getting sticks for free I'd be using a more high performance but fragile stick like a one95 without a doubt.
I heard because the ST's have been around for so long, players have gotten used to it and don't want to/feel the need to change to a new stick. And it seems like their sticks explode all the time anyway as it is, not sure they'd actually be happy with a stick that's even more fragile

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 06:18 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
A little OT, I'm just curious here, but any idea why the pros like STs so much? If it's as durable as many say then it seems like a great stick for your average player, performance is not bad, but if I was getting sticks for free I'd be using a more high performance but fragile stick like a one95 without a doubt.
The ST is really close to the original Synergy which a lot of guys used as their first composite. Balance is great, performance is decent, durability is decent... it's not a bad stick by any means.

Pros are weird though, many don't like change. Look at St Louis, he HAS to have an all-yellow stick, it's a freaking color... btw, he's another Easton ST user. Also he uses the original Brad Richards pro pattern still. The Richards pattern was one of the early choices for Easton pro sticks and many pros still use the pattern.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 08:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm always amused that us schlubs are buying $200 sticks with advanced technology while the pros are using close to the same sticks that were out almost 10 years ago.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 08:49 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm always amused that us schlubs are buying $200 sticks with advanced technology while the pros are using close to the same sticks that were out almost 10 years ago.
It really is funny. I buy maybe one costly stick a year, if that. The rest, I wait for a sale on a year old model or go off what I have.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

All the sticks I'm using now are pretty basic, nothing fancy. Aside from the One95, none of the new sticks seem mind bendingly amazing to me.

Old
11-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Did you mean the S13? I've not heard of an S14.

I would pick up some 2-piece sticks. Dolomite 2-pieces are $160-170, but if you break the shaft, you can just replace it and save the cost of a new blade.

The only toe curves I know are the Harrow #4 (pretty mild) and the Base Hossa pro (bigger open toe curve).
http://totalhockey.com/Product.aspx?...5322&div_id=41

New stick this year that sucked ass. I knew another kid who had one and broke it immediately too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Carter View Post
Why not get another ST? The '09 models were pretty beast. Then you can stick with the Sakic curve (my fave curve as well)
I actually had an ST '09 model (look, ive basically had every damn upper-echelon Easton '09 model) and it broke after, I THINK, 2 months at the max. I remember my buddy winning the faceoff, i'm a dman so i curled it back while skating backwards and went to throw it on net and it snapped in half. Mind you, that was my first shift of the game, it was fine in warm-ups, and no one hit me. Explain that one (not being a ********, dont take that tone wrong.)

My ST I still have is the '06 model or later. I dont remember because its been that long but the blade is breaking so its purely backup. The thickness of that stick is unreal and its really, really not that heavy. I'd perfer 50-100 more grams on my stick and stronger durability then some weak ass stick that breaks. Honestly, the comparison in thickness to that ST to the '09 model was insane. It was like comparing the thickness of a piece of paper to cardboard. My dad looked at it when I showed him, the guy knows nothing about hockey, and couldn't believe how thick the old one is compared to the new one. Shockingly he could see why it would break.

For the record, I bought a Warrior Kronik for 120... Draper curve. Thanks everyone for the comments. At least I know I'm not in the same boat. Btw, I play Roller hockey so these sticks should NEVER be breaking.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What's your height and weight and what flex are you using? Do a lot of stick work?

Old
11-16-2010, 11:59 AM
**** Farise

Just adding a Sakic clone that I haven't seen mentioned...Sherwoods P6087/Crosby curve. I use Warrior shafts all the time and I've only had 1 break on me in the last like 14 months.

**** Farise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Wease

I gave up on the $200+ one pieces last year and went back to a two piece SE16. I broke two S17's and a SE16 one piece within like a three month time frame. And I'm not hard on my sticks at all. The bottoms of the blades cracked on all of them. I was so mad. I think I've gone through 4 blades with my current setup in about a year or so, and one of them was because I got it caught in the door and it snapped. I won't spend that much on a one piece ever again...

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

I've had 3 Easton's break on me. The last broke on a simple pass. I treat my sticks perfectly fine when not on the ice (and still somewhat baby them on the ice), so it isn't my fault. After the third I gave up and bought a Warrior Dolomite and it has yet to break on me after some good wear and tear on it. The shaft of it is really sturdy.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Fleuryoutside29

It's tough finding identical curves. I went through the same problem when I switched from Easton to Nike Bauer.

If you have been breaking them with slapshots, have you considered changing your technique a bit?

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:49 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I still have 2 Easton ST Gaborik curves, 85 flex is orange and 100 flex is blue. They definetely hold up but they don't perform as well as the Stealth line. The problem I have is when I used to use the Gaborik Stealth line when I shot it was like holy *hit this is the greatest thing ever so when it breaks you have to go out and buy another. I'm really hoping the EQ50 has some changes in the durability because the SE's were not known for durability. I have 3 games this weekend so I'll find out real quick.

The Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleuryoutside29 View Post
It's tough finding identical curves. I went through the same problem when I switched from Easton to Nike Bauer.

If you have been breaking them with slapshots, have you considered changing your technique a bit?
100 flex.

Quote:
What's your height and weight and what flex are you using? Do a lot of stick work?
I'm not breaking them on slap shots.. I think i broke maybe 2 on a slap shot but they connected on the puck and broke like a twig. Believe me, its not my technique thats the problem. When I got a 4-5 year old ST that's a tank and still works, that basically means its the sick and not my technique. they make them so damn thin now that they end up becoming pieces of ****.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 07:51 PM
ThorNton Apologist
Jumbo needs a cup

Kinda OT here.. but does anyone know were i can get a bauer vapor XX or XXX?
I used this stick about 4 years ago and it was my favorite stick i have ever used. I have only used the synergy and ccm vector though. If anyone knows were i can get a XX or XXX the old model.. not the new X20 crap i twould be greatley appreciated

ThorNton Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
$50 sticks have the added benefit of being a bit stronger than $200 ones, I've had my $50 one pieces last full seasons of 2-3 hours a week of ice.

Also, screw Easton. I bought a stick bag a year ago that started falling apart immediately, and has had to be repaired multiple times. And my easton skates fit real nice, but they've gotten soft after only 15 months of skating. Eyelets popping out too

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 08:52 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
http://totalhockey.com/Product.aspx?...5322&div_id=41

New stick this year that sucked ass. I knew another kid who had one and broke it immediately too.

I actually had an ST '09 model (look, ive basically had every damn upper-echelon Easton '09 model) and it broke after, I THINK, 2 months at the max. I remember my buddy winning the faceoff, i'm a dman so i curled it back while skating backwards and went to throw it on net and it snapped in half. Mind you, that was my first shift of the game, it was fine in warm-ups, and no one hit me. Explain that one (not being a ********, dont take that tone wrong.)

My ST I still have is the '06 model or later. I dont remember because its been that long but the blade is breaking so its purely backup. The thickness of that stick is unreal and its really, really not that heavy. I'd perfer 50-100 more grams on my stick and stronger durability then some weak ass stick that breaks. Honestly, the comparison in thickness to that ST to the '09 model was insane. It was like comparing the thickness of a piece of paper to cardboard. My dad looked at it when I showed him, the guy knows nothing about hockey, and couldn't believe how thick the old one is compared to the new one. Shockingly he could see why it would break.

For the record, I bought a Warrior Kronik for 120... Draper curve. Thanks everyone for the comments. At least I know I'm not in the same boat. Btw, I play Roller hockey so these sticks should NEVER be breaking.
Your old ST that you say is getting run down a bit, is it the blade or the shaft that's dying? If it's just the blade then the shaft should still be fine with a new blade. If you ever break that Warrior you should consider chopping off the blade on your old ST and putting a new blade in. Cut it off at the point where you'd like the new blade to join, try to put the new blade in that end, if it doesn't fit flip it around and try the blade in the top (actually try the replacement blade in the top before cutting of the existing blade just to be sure). Even if you get a nice blade like a one95 blade it'll be around $50-60, much cheaper than buying an entire new stick, and hopefully much more durable too! Just did this with a cheap old Sherwood one piece that I hated for ice hockey, chopped off the blade and threw in an ABS blade, makes for a great road hockey stick now.

Last edited by ponder: 11-21-2010 at 08:58 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 09:14 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post
$50 sticks have the added benefit of being a bit stronger than $200 ones, I've had my $50 one pieces last full seasons of 2-3 hours a week of ice.

Also, screw Easton. I bought a stick bag a year ago that started falling apart immediately, and has had to be repaired multiple times. And my easton skates fit real nice, but they've gotten soft after only 15 months of skating. Eyelets popping out too
Well I disagree, my one95 blades/shafts last much longer than my lower end sticks did in that price range.

I will say my one easton blade got tore up quick and my backup which is a easton also has the toe starting to wear away...BUT those are square toes....those seem to get eatin through along the boards.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 09:21 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Well I disagree, my one95 blades/shafts last much longer than my lower end sticks did in that price range.

I will say my one easton blade got tore up quick and my backup which is a easton also has the toe starting to wear away...BUT those are square toes....those seem to get eatin through along the boards.
Taping over the toe can help with this, I tape over the toe on all my sticks.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 09:23 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Taping over the toe can help with this, I tape over the toe on all my sticks.
I do too, just didnt make a difference for me.

Old
11-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I've had a Dolomite I have been very careless with in terms of slashing and whatnot. A couple months later it barely has any marks. It may hinder my slapshot a bit but I still will look towards a one-piece on clearance again in the future.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 11:44 PM
canuck44

I'm thinking about picking up a INT synergy ST (scared of them breaking, but I want to try the INT flex and the ST is supposed to be the most durable so I figured I'll try that one). Hopefully I have better luck than you

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 01:26 AM
Lario Melieux*

Had two S17's. Both garbage, both broke within two months. Had an S19 that lasted a pretty long while though.

But, I bought some Easton S12 skates last year... Absolutely garbage. I liked them initially because they were light, but what I should have realized was that they probably weren't made well. In a little over a year, I've had both blades come loose (so has my teammate), so I just used a little bit of lock-tite on the screws and it seemed to solve the problem. I've had to have about half the rivets replaced because they rusted out, and yes I do take out my insoles to dry them after using them. My blade cracked about an inch from the front tip last week. The outer material is starting to split away from the inner material at the edges. Horrible skates.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:02 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lario Melieux View Post
Had two S17's. Both garbage, both broke within two months. Had an S19 that lasted a pretty long while though.

But, I bought some Easton S12 skates last year... Absolutely garbage. I liked them initially because they were light, but what I should have realized was that they probably weren't made well. In a little over a year, I've had both blades come loose (so has my teammate), so I just used a little bit of lock-tite on the screws and it seemed to solve the problem. I've had to have about half the rivets replaced because they rusted out, and yes I do take out my insoles to dry them after using them. My blade cracked about an inch from the front tip last week. The outer material is starting to split away from the inner material at the edges. Horrible skates.
Thats BRUTAL about the skates, glad I dont got a wide foot so no need for Eastons

Old
11-22-2010, 10:53 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
First game with the EQ50=3 goals. 2nd game with the EQ50=4 goals. 7 goals in a day is a pretty good start, obviously it's not just due to the stick but it performed pretty good now I just need to see if it's more durable than high end Easton sticks I've owned in the past. I've also owned 3 pairs of Easton skates and never had a problem with durability. I think when it comes to certain types of gear and certain body types some equipment just doesn't mesh well.

The Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 12:03 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firegarrett View Post
Kinda OT here.. but does anyone know were i can get a bauer vapor XX or XXX?
I used this stick about 4 years ago and it was my favorite stick i have ever used. I have only used the synergy and ccm vector though. If anyone knows were i can get a XX or XXX the old model.. not the new X20 crap i twould be greatley appreciated
The original Vapor XX and the Vapor XXX were made by Innovative, which was bought by Warrior. The Vapor XX is now the Dolomite(different blade now) and the XXX became the Mac Daddy/Kronik(different blade).

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote