HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

1-on-1 with Mike Richards (Interview)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-20-2010, 04:40 PM
  #51
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Elias probably wasn't asked about it by the media, either.
Shhhhh.

Let him live in his own world for a while.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 07:24 PM
  #52
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,943
vCash: 500
Cherry just defended Richards again. He said Subban started his mouthiness when he was in Hamilton in the AHL.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 10:42 PM
  #53
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,029
vCash: 500
Must be tough being a Flyers fan up in Canada ? LOL[/QUOTE]

I work for a wholesaler that sells hats to retail stores in Canada. And I can say that Philly is one of the top 4 requested US teams that stores want. The others wold be Pittsburgh, Detroit and Boston. So there are lots of fans up here...probably because they always have good "Canadian" players on the Flyers. Oh, and as a Flyers fan myself, I love it!!

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 12:44 AM
  #54
FlyersWillRockU
Too Old? Rookies
 
FlyersWillRockU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
You'd be surprised how many Flyers jerseys I see around here, and there are a good amount at every Leafs game and Sabres game.

While the Bullies' era is long gone, the Flyers still have the reputation of being a tough team to play against -- and I love that.
Couldnt agree more.Everybody asks me why I am a Flyer fan up here and I tell them it is because year after year they are competitive (besides the season that shall not be named), hard to play against and they hate to lose. OLD TIME HOCKEY BABY!! I miss the days before the instigator rule. When you were lipping off you would get pummeled profusely or at least have to answer the bell. Pretty much like everyday life used to be. Nowadays it seems everything gets so blown out of proportion and alot of people need a good OLD fashioned drink of shut the he11 up or back it up.

The day the FLYERS become a bunch of pansies....no matter how big they are... is the day I will have to find a new team to cheer for


Last edited by FlyersWillRockU: 11-21-2010 at 01:01 AM.
FlyersWillRockU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:07 AM
  #55
FlyersWillRockU
Too Old? Rookies
 
FlyersWillRockU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Ya, the only difference being that Elias spoke to Richards personally and any reaction you conveniently claim you would have is all hearsay.

What would happen if Jeter from the Yankees called out X rookie on the phillies, or if Tom Brady called out X rookie player on the Eagles... The same exact reaction would occur as the one in Montreal.

Calling out a high profile rookie to the media, whether volunteered or asked, is certainly going to to stir a reaction in a market where that sport is followed and supported with such a high degree of passion and intensity, where it is the "main show" in town or the uncontested number 1 sport...

You make it sound like the reaction comes as a surprise and you're trying to defend his comments by making it look like Montreal fans are hyper-sensitive and insecure... The reality is that you are clearly defensive of Mike Richards and are looking to redirect that defensive mechanism of yours, all while ignoring the realities that is Montreal (Hockey Mecca, whether you like to accept that or not).

Don't blame the media and certainly don't blame the fans for Mike Richards actions... unless of course you are going to start pointing the blame on the situation on the fact that Montreal is overly passionate about hockey (which would be about as ridiculous as your bias).

If Mike Richards had a message for PK Subban he could have told him on the ice, and he most certainly could of kept it on the ice.
Have you ever been in a situation at work where there is some inexperienced person that is very cocky and you just want to tell him to shut the **** up and listen......... same kind of thing. I have run into people like that numerous times and as much as you want to tell them just that NOWADAYS you cant for fear of reprimand. Confidence is one thing but cockiness is another. Kids or inexperienced people for that matter... need to learn where to draw the line and earn respect just as Richards said that he had to with players like Elias etc. No more...No Less..

FlyersWillRockU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 11:52 PM
  #56
MooseOllini
BobBarker
 
MooseOllini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersWillRockU View Post
Have you ever been in a situation at work where there is some inexperienced person that is very cocky and you just want to tell him to shut the **** up and listen......... same kind of thing. I have run into people like that numerous times and as much as you want to tell them just that NOWADAYS you cant for fear of reprimand. Confidence is one thing but cockiness is another. Kids or inexperienced people for that matter... need to learn where to draw the line and earn respect just as Richards said that he had to with players like Elias etc. No more...No Less..
No but in this case it would be some1 more experienced yet as cocky who tries to tell me to ****. Why the hell would I listen to that guy lol. Richards should look in a mirror before shooting any statements that makes him look like a crybaby. He's a great energetic player that can shift game's momentum at any moment but man.. he's got to quit that /crying and those cheapshots he does after the whistle behind the back of the refs; he can keep them for himself..

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:07 AM
  #57
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,252
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
he's got to quit that /crying and those cheapshots he does after the whistle behind the back of the refs; he can keep them for himself..
what the hell are you talking about?

edit: no, seriously, do you watch the flyers? or do you just form an opinion of them based on what they were like in the 70s, and then imagine things? that seems to happen a lot around these forums.

let's try that for montreal: the Habs are a bunch of dirty cheapshot artists who love assaulting other players with their sticks for any damned reason at all.


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 11-22-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:17 AM
  #58
Slowbro
Registered User
 
Slowbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
********, he was one of the stars of Team Canada. The top line of Iggy/Crosby/Staal wasn't very good outside of Crosby scoring the GWG and a shootout goal vs SWI. The SJ line also didn't produce much. Richie/Toews/Nash were the ones that did everything from winning faceoffs, hitting and scoring goals. Everyone up here loves what he did for Canada so you can try to diminish the Olympics all you want but it's not true. As for it being easier to win the Olympics than the Stanley Cup, it isn't easier. Canada won it in SLC and then didn't do a damned thing in Torino. They won it in Vancouver but outside of that, nothing.

If you remember his post game interviews after Chicago won, he was devastated. This interview took place months later so the pain of losing is greatly diminished. It's not like he meant "oh well, we lost but I got my gold medal".
i am not putting down the olympics or canada's medal..

just that compared the long haul of the nhl season makes it harder, not to mention statistically more difficult than playing 7 or so games for a gold medal.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 04:23 AM
  #59
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Regarding PK:

There was no reason for Mike to talk about that to the media. I actually agree with MTL fans about that. Mike is usually pretty honest with his comments and he probably should have kept that one to himself. Feel free to disagree.

However, it doesn't make what he said less true.

Running your mouth makes you a target. If you choose to incorporate that aspect into your game, you had better keep your head up.

That goes for ANY player in the NHL.


Last edited by Flyerfan808: 11-22-2010 at 04:24 AM. Reason: did that come off as more of a threat or a warning?
Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 05:28 AM
  #60
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,469
vCash: 500
PK has a pretty big mouth. He really doesn't back anything up. This is how he has been when he was in the juniors. As his NHL career continues you will continue to see him constantly run his mouth and never back it up.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 06:00 AM
  #61
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
i am not putting down the olympics or canada's medal..

just that compared the long haul of the nhl season makes it harder, not to mention statistically more difficult than playing 7 or so games for a gold medal.
I disagree. Especially when the games are in your own country and you have the pressure of every citizen expecting nothing less than gold. Also, if you're really lucky, you have 3 shots at ever making an Olympic team here because our talent pool is so deep but for most really good players it's probably 2 chances. in the NHL in Richards' career so far he's been in the playoffs 3 times, I believe, and with varying degrees of success.

You can't understand it because you don't want to but the fact is he had the chance to win it in his own country and he did. That chance will never come again. The next Olympics will be in Russia and the one after that won't be here either and by then he'll be 33 so who knows if he'll even be playing hockey anymore.

Those guys were under more pressure than any other athlete or team at the Olympics and he was a huge part of it.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 06:23 AM
  #62
Drive425
Registered User
 
Drive425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St Louis Du Haha
Country: Malta
Posts: 1,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
what the hell are you talking about?

edit: no, seriously, do you watch the flyers? or do you just form an opinion of them based on what they were like in the 70s, and then imagine things? that seems to happen a lot around these forums.

let's try that for montreal: the Habs are a bunch of dirty cheapshot artists who love assaulting other players with their sticks for any damned reason at all.
I wonder what Booth and Krejci think of Mr Richards.

Dirty, gutless acts are a Flyers trademark. Cherry is a knob when he defends a headshot artist looking for respect. Mark my words, if the game is out of reach the Flyers will put a cheapshot clinic on.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 06:33 AM
  #63
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
I wonder what Booth and Krejci think of Mr Richards.

Dirty, gutless acts are a Flyers trademark. Cherry is a knob when he defends a headshot artist looking for respect. Mark my words, if the game is out of reach the Flyers will put a cheapshot clinic on.
Just run along.

We don't need idiots talking over here.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 07:00 AM
  #64
Clyde Donovan
Registered User
 
Clyde Donovan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 1,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
I wonder what Booth and Krejci think of Mr Richards.

Dirty, gutless acts are a Flyers trademark. Cherry is a knob when he defends a headshot artist looking for respect. Mark my words, if the game is out of reach the Flyers will put a cheapshot clinic on.
Lol mentioning the Krejci hit, you just confirmed how clueless about the game of hockey you really are.

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 07:50 AM
  #65
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
I wonder what Booth and Krejci think of Mr Richards.

Dirty, gutless acts are a Flyers trademark. Cherry is a knob when he defends a headshot artist looking for respect. Mark my words, if the game is out of reach the Flyers will put a cheapshot clinic on.
This is ridiculous haha.

We watch the Flyers every single game, of every single season. We have seen many, many games that are out of hand. Very rarely do we see a "cheapshot clinc". You are so stuck in the "Flyers are goons" mantra, it's absurd. You either have incredible luck, and happen to catch every boneheaded Hartnell moment, hotheaded Carcillo moment, or spearing Briere incident which aren't nearly as often as people like to think.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 07:56 AM
  #66
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
I wonder what Booth and Krejci think of Mr Richards.

Dirty, gutless acts are a Flyers trademark. Cherry is a knob when he defends a headshot artist looking for respect. Mark my words, if the game is out of reach the Flyers will put a cheapshot clinic on.
Bwahahaha! Now you're reaching! Krejci was the recipient of a north/south hit. The Booth hit was legal at the time. If you are afraid of hitting I suggest you watch ballet instead. Go away.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 08:42 AM
  #67
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Regarding PK:

There was no reason for Mike to talk about that to the media. I actually agree with MTL fans about that. Mike is usually pretty honest with his comments and he probably should have kept that one to himself. Feel free to disagree.

However, it doesn't make what he said less true.

Running your mouth makes you a target. If you choose to incorporate that aspect into your game, you had better keep your head up.

That goes for ANY player in the NHL.
He was asked about it. If this isn't a good enough reason, we all need to stop complaining about the vanilla nature of hockey player interviews immediately. Richards just did exactly what we wish every hockey player would do: answer a question without a damn cliche.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 08:42 AM
  #68
CanadianFlyersFan18
Registered User
 
CanadianFlyersFan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
I wonder what Booth and Krejci think of Mr Richards.

Dirty, gutless acts are a Flyers trademark. Cherry is a knob when he defends a headshot artist looking for respect. Mark my words, if the game is out of reach the Flyers will put a cheapshot clinic on.
Im sorry but as a Flyers fan I am hard pressed to feel for any player who skates with their head down in open ice. Eric ****ING Lindros was one of if not the most dominate player of the 90's and Flyer fans collectively got to see his career diminished because of blindside, headhunting checks. Say what you want but Mike Richards is the forward version of Scott Stevens. He's plays on an edge, and is very talented at the same time. What do you want, Mike Richards to stop throwing big checks? Its a part of hockey, since ****ing tim-bits hockey, before checking is put into the game, kids are taught to keep THEIR head up! I guess Scott Stevens was the most feared player of his time because he had an offensive upside? Theres a reason few guys cut up the middle with their head down with Stevens on the ice, because if they did they more than likely ended up like the Big E. Guys might not fear Richards the same, but their sure as hell aware when he's on the ice that he has the ability to blanket a whole offence, score a timely and-or SH goal, along with throwing that big legal momentum changing hit that you and other butt-hurt NHL fans seem to dislike for what ever reason.

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 08:45 AM
  #69
CanadianFlyersFan18
Registered User
 
CanadianFlyersFan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
I wonder what Booth and Krejci think of Mr Richards.

Dirty, gutless acts are a Flyers trademark. Cherry is a knob when he defends a headshot artist looking for respect. Mark my words, if the game is out of reach the Flyers will put a cheapshot clinic on.
Im sorry but as a Flyers fan I am hard pressed to feel for any player who skates with their head down in open ice. Eric ****ING Lindros was one of if not the most dominate players of the 90's and all Flyer fans had to collectively see his career diminished because of blindside, headhunting checks. Say what you want but Mike Richards is the forward version of Scott Stevens. He's plays on an edge, and is very talented at the same time. What do you want, Mike Richards to stop throwing big checks? Its a part of hockey, since ****ing tim-bits hockey, before checking is put into the game, kids are taught to keep THEIR head up! I guess Scott Stevens was the most feared player of his time because he had an offensive upside? Theres a reason few guys cut up the middle with their head down when Stevens was on the ice, because if they did they more than likely ended up like the Big E. Guys might not fear Richards in the same retrospect, but their sure as hell aware when he's on the ice that he has the ability to blanket a whole offence, score a timely and-or SH goal, along with throwing that big legal momentum changing hit that you and other butt-hurt NHL fans seem to dislike for what ever reason.

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 09:15 AM
  #70
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Elias probably wasn't asked about it by the media, either.
So when asked any question, no matter what it is, you have to answer it? Better than that, make a long sound bite out of it.

I'd have a lot more respect for Richards if what was said on the ice stayed on the ice.

I have a strong suspicion if the Flyers won that game we would have heard nothing about the episode. In fact there might not even have been an episode at all

Let me put into perspective. I was at a Pens Flyers game Crosby's first year. The game was in Pittsburgh. Crosby was doing quite a bit of diving. After drawing a penalty with yet another dive, Forsberg stepped up a went nose to nose with Sid. He was obviously schooling him. Funny thing was everybody, Pens included, stood back when this went on. For his troubles Forsberg got an FU from Sid

After the game Forsberg didn't babble about what was said. I suspect that if asked about it he would not have said a word. THAT is the right way to do things, and I think Richards could learn a thing or two about respect himself if he learned from that example


Last edited by JrHockeyFan: 11-22-2010 at 09:26 AM.
JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 09:27 AM
  #71
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
So when asked any question, no matter what it is, you have to answer it? Better than that, make a long sound bite out of it.

I'd have a lot more respect for Richards if what was said on the ice stayed on the ice.

I have a strong suspicion if the Flyers won that game we would have heard nothing about the episode. In fact there might not even have been an episode at all
So we want our players to just not answer questions? They are required to give these interviews you know.

I have no issue with anything that happened; both with PK and Richards. It's hockey. Moreover, it's a job. There will always be a young person who thinks they know everything. There will always be someone that thinks they're wrong. Would I do what PK did? No. But so what?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 09:29 AM
  #72
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post

Let me put into perspective. I was at a Pens Flyers game Crosby's first year. The game was in Pittsburgh. Crosby was doing quite a bit of diving. After drawing a penalty with yet another dive, Forsberg stepped up a went nose to nose with Sid. He was obviously schooling him. Funny thing was everybody, Pens included, stood back when this went on. For his troubles Forsberg got an FU from Sid

After the game Forsberg didn't babble about what was said. I suspect that if asked about it he would not have said a word. THAT is the right way to do things, and I think Richards could learn a thing or two about respect himself if he learned from that example
Your entire point is pased on your "suspicion". I know what you're tring to say, but you don't know any of that. Unless you have specific incidents of players being asked similar questions and saying they'd rather not get into it, I don't think you have much to stand on.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 09:39 AM
  #73
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Your entire point is pased on your "suspicion". I know what you're tring to say, but you don't know any of that. Unless you have specific incidents of players being asked similar questions and saying they'd rather not get into it, I don't think you have much to stand on.
Swell, but you are side-stepping the issue. The point is there is a right way to do things. You honestly think Richards chose the right way?

I do know that Forsberg did not blab to the media afterward

I've heard many interviews where players when asked about specifics simply replied that "that's between us". Interviews after the game are not the grand jury.

Did anybody actually know that Elias schooled Richards before Richards brought it up?


Last edited by JrHockeyFan: 11-22-2010 at 09:48 AM.
JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 09:49 AM
  #74
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,847
vCash: 500
Well, I guess it's a good thing Richards is a Flyer and hasn't sullied the pristine reputation of the Habs then.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 09:51 AM
  #75
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Swell, but you are side-stepping the issue. The point is there is a right way to do things. You honestly think Richards chose the right way?

I do know that Forsberg did not blab to the media afterward

I've heard many interviews where players when asked about specifics simply replied that "that's between us". Interviews after the game are not the grand jury.
I'm not side-stepping it at all. I stated initially that I think the entire thing is stupid and not a big deal.

Forsberg didn't blab to the media unprovoked, neither did Richards.

I've also heard many interviews where players were asked and replied with details. What about the, surprisingly frequent, occurances of biting incidents?

To act as if Richards is the only person to ever give his thoughts when asked a question isn't fair. There have been people that have chosen not to answer such specific questions, just as there have been people that have gotten into detail.

Again I say. WHO CARES?! (on both ends) It's pathetic that so many people are getting up in arms about one guy talking trash and another guy saying he doesn't like it.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.