HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plekanec @ 5mill vs Marleau @ 6mill vs Kovalchuk @ 8mill

View Poll Results: Which one?
Plekanec - 5mill 119 33.15%
Marleau - 6mill 130 36.21%
Kovalchuk - 8mill 88 24.51%
None of these players are worth the salaries listed 22 6.13%
Voters: 359. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-22-2010, 11:09 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It's not about his bad start, hence why I said I wouldn't even take Crosby/Ovechkin with that contract.

Signing someone for 14years is simply not a risk I'm willing to take. You just don't know if that person will be able to keep producing at a high level. You don't know if that person will be a success on your team. You don't know if that person will be happy. You don't know if he'll get injured and suffer long term from it. There's so many things that can go wrong, I just wouldn't want to risk it.
To be honest there are three players I'd consider signing to a contract like that:

Stamkos, Crosby, Ovechkin.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
To be honest there are three players I'd consider signing to a contract like that:

Stamkos, Crosby, Ovechkin.
Like I said, I wouldn't sign any player that long. It's just too freaking long. All this to save about 1-2M off the cap???..No thanks. I rather wait a year and have that extra 1-2M of added space from the cap increase.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 02:01 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Like I said, I wouldn't sign any player that long. It's just too freaking long. All this to save about 1-2M off the cap???..No thanks. I rather wait a year and have that extra 1-2M of added space from the cap increase.
Valid point but when it's a question of "this is my chance to sign Crosby" I doubt that's what's on the mind

Like I said I would never even sign Price to a 15 year deal but when one of those guys comes along I'd possibly re-consider.

Reason I say it is because I think the number of cups having a guy like Crosby on our team could help us get compared to the years he wouldn't be worth the salary hugely outweighs the negatives

Of course you could also not win the cup too

Switch Crosby out in Gomez place though and I think we'd be a contender for years to come and not just where Pittsburgh is in the standings, I think we'd do much better.

I'm guessing your point is that even Crosby could get a knee injury and then never be the same, which is valid. I think in the new NHL though it takes a few risks to win a cup in most cases.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 03:27 PM
RNiner

Well, and there's even a difference in signing a 23 y/o to a 12 year deal then a 27 y/o.

I'd sign Sid, Ovechkin or Stamkos to a 12 year deal... but not once they were 25 y/o. I just don't want to be paying anyone 9 mil at 37 years of age, based on how good they were at 24. Makes no sense. If he's still good at 37 you can re-sign him.

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
In an ideal world you'd be right, but it's not about saving 1-2M off the cap, it's to give the best contract offer to the player to make him sign with your club. If a player has two offers on the table, one is 5 years 10M per year, the other is 15 years, 6.5M per years. In the end one contract is worth 50M while the other's worth 97.5M. Easy choice. Not everything revolves around cap management.

Spy is offline   Reply With Quote