HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

1-on-1 with Mike Richards (Interview)

Old
11-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
I wonder what Booth and Krejci think of Mr Richards.

Dirty, gutless acts are a Flyers trademark. Cherry is a knob when he defends a headshot artist looking for respect. Mark my words, if the game is out of reach the Flyers will put a cheapshot clinic on.
The Booth hit was legal, and it also severely affected Richards. For some time afterwards, he was a different player. In the next meeting with Florida, Richards had an opportunity to hit Weiss even harder than he hit Booth, and he did his damndest to avoid hitting him instead of laying him out.

If you think anything was wrong with the Krecji hit, then hockey isn't the sport for you. hell, golf might be too physical. maybe you should try knitting.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:00 AM
DUHockey9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If you think anything was wrong with the Krecji hit, then hockey isn't the sport for you. hell, golf might be too physical. maybe you should try knitting.
It must say something that...I can't even remember this Krejci hit he is referencing haha.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
Im sorry but as a Flyers fan I am hard pressed to feel for any player who skates with their head down in open ice. Eric ****ING Lindros was one of if not the most dominate players of the 90's and all Flyer fans had to collectively see his career diminished because of blindside, headhunting checks. Say what you want but Mike Richards is the forward version of Scott Stevens. He's plays on an edge, and is very talented at the same time. What do you want, Mike Richards to stop throwing big checks? Its a part of hockey, since ****ing tim-bits hockey, before checking is put into the game, kids are taught to keep THEIR head up! I guess Scott Stevens was the most feared player of his time because he had an offensive upside? Theres a reason few guys cut up the middle with their head down when Stevens was on the ice, because if they did they more than likely ended up like the Big E. Guys might not fear Richards in the same retrospect, but their sure as hell aware when he's on the ice that he has the ability to blanket a whole offence, score a timely and-or SH goal, along with throwing that big legal momentum changing hit that you and other butt-hurt NHL fans seem to dislike for what ever reason.

Hitting a guy and taking him out are 2 very different things. The Lindros hit made me sick, just like the Booth and Savard hits...they are not meant to interrupt the play they are meant to injure. Powe elbowed Gorges on a hit from the side and then ran Halpern into the glass. I'm sure Flyers fans loved it but as far as I'm concerned it's dirty. Same with Giroux chopping at Subban after the "Richards Incident", it's a dirty play. Let's see how things turn out tonight.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:46 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Hitting a guy and taking him out are 2 very different things. The Lindros hit made me sick, just like the Booth and Savard hits...they are not meant to interrupt the play they are meant to injure. Powe elbowed Gorges on a hit from the side and then ran Halpern into the glass. I'm sure Flyers fans loved it but as far as I'm concerned it's dirty. Same with Giroux chopping at Subban after the "Richards Incident", it's a dirty play. Let's see how things turn out tonight.
You're from one of the all time great names for town -- love when we drive through and see the signs for Saint Louis du Ha! Ha! (complete with exclamation marks).

Powe's hit on Gorges was not an elbow - it was a clean, solid hit. The hit on Halpern deserved 2 minutes.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:51 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
It wasn't an elbow, the announcers even agreed it wasn't. At full speed it looked like one, but it wasn't.

That said, Powe does have a tendency to go through mini stretches where he makes questionable hits.

Are we at the point where we complain about someone chopping at someone? I can't believe I'm making this argument but...grow a pair man. This is hockey. If you can't take someone taking a whack at you, get out of the game. If you have an issue, whack him back, drop the gloves, you have any number of options. If Subban whacks Giroux I expect Giroux to do something about it. If he doesn't, I expect Subban to continue to do it. And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the very reason Subban is running his mouth is so that someone will take a whack at him and they can get a PP?

Come on dude. Stop complaining about every tiny thing. You must revel in games filled with 10 PPs.

Old
11-22-2010, 10:56 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
So when asked any question, no matter what it is, you have to answer it? Better than that, make a long sound bite out of it.

I'd have a lot more respect for Richards if what was said on the ice stayed on the ice.

I have a strong suspicion if the Flyers won that game we would have heard nothing about the episode. In fact there might not even have been an episode at all

Let me put into perspective. I was at a Pens Flyers game Crosby's first year. The game was in Pittsburgh. Crosby was doing quite a bit of diving. After drawing a penalty with yet another dive, Forsberg stepped up a went nose to nose with Sid. He was obviously schooling him. Funny thing was everybody, Pens included, stood back when this went on. For his troubles Forsberg got an FU from Sid

After the game Forsberg didn't babble about what was said. I suspect that if asked about it he would not have said a word. THAT is the right way to do things, and I think Richards could learn a thing or two about respect himself if he learned from that example
I actually have more respect for someone who isn't afraid to answer a question honestly. A large number of people loved Roenick for this and now Richards is being crucified for it. He probably knows that people are going to cry about it but he really doesn't give a **** what people think outside his locker room. It's one of the large reasons Philadelphians love the guy. He shares our outlook on life: if you're not one of us, we don't care if you like us or hate us.

Quote:
Swell, but you are side-stepping the issue. The point is there is a right way to do things. You honestly think Richards chose the right way?

I do know that Forsberg did not blab to the media afterward

I've heard many interviews where players when asked about specifics simply replied that "that's between us". Interviews after the game are not the grand jury.

Did anybody actually know that Elias schooled Richards before Richards brought it up?
The thing you're all missing is that the "right" and "wrong" way to do things isn't so black and white. The obvious right way is to handle it on the ice. Richards did that. Who cares if he says something to the media afterward? It's not like he's trying to avoid any responsibility to handle things himself.

As for the Forsberg comparisons... Forsberg was generally pretty candid with the media. He was also one of Richards's first captains in the NHL. Maybe that's where he learned it? Speculating is fun and I can do it too!

And about Elias... again, did anyone ask Elias? Nobody would have known what Richards was saying to Subban if he wasn't asked.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:07 AM
JuJu Mobb

J.Roenick on Fan590 talking about Subban and respect

Quote:
J.R. said in brief that he loves the way Subban plays, everything he does has nothing to do with disrespect....he never slashed, hit from behind, or suckerpunched anyone. He went up to Richards man on man and said to him... your the top dog and I'm gonna take you out" Richards just couldn't take it

In short was saying this kid backs up his talk with his skills and is amazing for the game.
Thanks to happyhab for the quote.

JuJu Mobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:12 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I'm not side-stepping it at all. I stated initially that I think the entire thing is stupid and not a big deal.

Forsberg didn't blab to the media unprovoked, neither did Richards.

I've also heard many interviews where players were asked and replied with details. What about the, surprisingly frequent, occurances of biting incidents?

To act as if Richards is the only person to ever give his thoughts when asked a question isn't fair. There have been people that have chosen not to answer such specific questions, just as there have been people that have gotten into detail.

Again I say. WHO CARES?! (on both ends) It's pathetic that so many people are getting up in arms about one guy talking trash and another guy saying he doesn't like it.
"Unprovoked"? LOL. You are kidding yourself

You know exactly what the issue is, whether it is a big deal or not is irrelevant. Just because the media asks is no excuse. Nobody is forced (or provoked LOL) to be indiscreet.

Sure there are some that reveal details and others that do not. Just as there are some who choose the right way to do things and others that do not

If this is a players code of conduct issue that is something that is strictly between players. . . . . well you figure out the rest

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:16 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
"Unprovoked"? LOL. You are kidding yourself

You know exactly what the issue is, whether it is a big deal or not is irrelevant. Just because the media asks is no excuse. Nobody is forced (or provoked LOL) to be indiscreet.

Sure there are some that reveal details and others that do not. Just as there are some who choose the right way to do things and others that do not

If this is a players code of conduct issue that is something that is strictly between players. . . . . well you figure out the rest
What aren't you understanding what I'm saying?

Richards didn't go to the media and say "Let me tell you a little something about PK Subban..." That would be unprovoked.

That's my only point. The entire thing is just silly.

Old
11-22-2010, 11:17 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu Mobb View Post
JR is great -- always says it as how he sees it.

And this coming from a guy who has been involved in a few media issues of his own.... Sure helps put things in perspective

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:19 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:

Richards didn't go to the media and say "Let me tell you a little something about PK Subban..." That would be unprovoked.

Ok, so lets encourage "trash talking" in front of the camera, so long as the reporters asks for his comment beforehand.

Brilliant!

Old
11-22-2010, 11:21 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Ok, so lets encourage "trash talking" in front of the camera, so long as the reporters asks for his comment beforehand.

Brilliant!
As long as you condemn every other player that does the same thing. Because it happens. It's your right to do so. Mike Richards is not the first player to ever give his thoughts about something a player did when asked about it.

Old
11-22-2010, 11:22 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
JR is great -- always says it as how he sees it.

And this coming from a guy who has been involved in a few media issues of his own.... Sure helps put things in perspective
That's one thing we can agree on for sure. JR is the man.

Old
11-22-2010, 11:22 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I actually have more respect for someone who isn't afraid to answer a question honestly. A large number of people loved Roenick for this and now Richards is being crucified for it. He probably knows that people are going to cry about it but he really doesn't give a **** what people think outside his locker room. It's one of the large reasons Philadelphians love the guy. He shares our outlook on life: if you're not one of us, we don't care if you like us or hate us.

The thing you're all missing is that the "right" and "wrong" way to do things isn't so black and white. The obvious right way is to handle it on the ice. Richards did that. Who cares if he says something to the media afterward? It's not like he's trying to avoid any responsibility to handle things himself.

As for the Forsberg comparisons... Forsberg was generally pretty candid with the media. He was also one of Richards's first captains in the NHL. Maybe that's where he learned it? Speculating is fun and I can do it too!

And about Elias... again, did anyone ask Elias? Nobody would have known what Richards was saying to Subban if he wasn't asked.
The common thread in defending Richards is that when the media asks, you have to answer. It's more honest? Don't kid yourself.

You know as well as I do that in every city, including Philly, reporters have been told to hit the road in no uncertain terms.

Old
11-22-2010, 11:26 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
As long as you condemn every other player that does the same thing. Because it happens. It's your right to do so. Mike Richards is not the first player to ever give his thoughts about something a player did when asked about it.
Ya, Mike Richards is not the 1st player to call out another, the only difference being that PK didn't commit any crime whatsoever. Players call out other players if the other said something racists on the ice, or if their was a cheap shot or dirty play.

Calling out a player for TALKING on the ice, or being cocky is absurd and it's great that a guy like Roenick confirms that.

Old
11-22-2010, 11:27 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu Mobb View Post
Sounds like a lot of BS to me.

Quote:
Ya, Mike Richards is not the 1st player to call out another, the only difference being that PK didn't commit any crime whatsoever. Players call out other players if the other said something racists on the ice, or if their was a cheap shot or dirty play.

Calling out a player for TALKING on the ice, or being cocky is absurd and it's great that a guy like Roenick confirms that.
Oh my god!

FREE SUBBAN!

Dude, grow up. Are you Subban? I'm sure he cares a lot less than you do.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:29 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:

So if a guy blabs without being asked, that is bad. If asked, a guy can spill his guts, and that okay because he was provoked. That is essentially what your point is

Yes the entire thing is silly. Exactly why Richards should have just kept quiet

Old
11-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Athlétique_Canadien

The TSN Richards interview was a nice way to top off all of this Subban stuff. As expected, Don Cherry did the "I told you so" on Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday. I wish he'd stop that. Richards was cool and I liked what he said about the Subban issue. As far as I'm concerned - it's a dead issue! Maybe it won't be tonight at the Walk-Over-You Centre amongst fans and perhaps even the Flyers. I am tired of it all and it'll be interesting to see if anything develops on the ice.

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:33 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
So if a guy blabs without being asked, that is bad. If asked, a guy can spill his guts, and that okay because he was provoked. That is essentially what your point is

Yes the entire thing is silly. Exactly why Richards should have just kept quiet
That wasn't the point I was making.

We got on the topic because it was suggested, in a specific Forsberg example, that Forsberg never blabbed about something similar. I was merely stating that the 2 situations aren't comparable. If one person is explicitly asked, and the other isn't, you can't just assume one player would have handled it differently than the other.

I agree Richards should have kept quiet. I certainly wouldn't have said anything if it were me. Or if he really felt the need to say something, he could have done so more eloquently without appearing to be complaining so much. It came off as emotional, and emotional ramblings are never taken well haha.

Old
11-22-2010, 11:35 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Sounds like a lot of BS to me.

You're the one calling BS to what Roenick said. Denial much ? Yet you want ME to grow up. Gotchya.

Old
11-22-2010, 11:36 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHLÉTIQUE_CANADIEN View Post
The TSN Richards interview was a nice way to top off all of this Subban stuff. As expected, Don Cherry did the "I told you so" on Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday. I wish he'd stop that. Richards was cool and I liked what he said about the Subban issue. As far as I'm concerned - it's a dead issue! Maybe it won't be tonight at the Walk-Over-You Centre amongst fans and perhaps even the Flyers. I am tired of it all and it'll be interesting to see if anything develops on the ice.
I agree. I don't really get why it was so talked about in the first place.

I hope they fight just to put the entire thing to bed.

Old
11-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Athlétique_Canadien

DUHockey9 - your avatar is interesting. I never have seen Giroux's face - he looks ALOT like Bobby did when he was a kid. They could pass off easily as father and son.

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Richards was called out ON THE ICE.

Elias did not need the microphone.
Yeah, but dude, in Montreal you need to say everything in both French and English and that gets really longwinded while on the ice...

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:23 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post

Funny you should say that. JR when asked about this incident sided with Subban and praised him. Still love JR's honesty?

Old
11-22-2010, 12:24 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
That wasn't the point I was making.

We got on the topic because it was suggested, in a specific Forsberg example, that Forsberg never blabbed about something similar. I was merely stating that the 2 situations aren't comparable. If one person is explicitly asked, and the other isn't, you can't just assume one player would have handled it differently than the other.

I agree Richards should have kept quiet. I certainly wouldn't have said anything if it were me. Or if he really felt the need to say something, he could have done so more eloquently without appearing to be complaining so much. It came off as emotional, and emotional ramblings are never taken well haha.
Are you a lawyer?