HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Patrick O'Sullivan

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Patrick O'Sullivan

Yep, I'm today's contestant in "Raid the Waiver Wire! Habs Forums Edition."

But for this one, I make an exception.

Patrick O'Sullivan is a former high draft pick who had a couple good NHL years, then one bad one, before being cast off. His fall from grace has genuinely confused me given how fast he went from a 50 point complimentary scorer to a buyout/camp pickup/waiver wire candidate. He had 20 goals three seasons ago, just under that two seasons ago... and then came last year's debacle in Edmonton. Guys of his calibre don't just stop having talent over night. This guy will be a good secondary scorer for someone.

He's somewhat soft, and small, which is why I doubt Montreal looks hard at him, but he has a record of providing secondary scoring.

This year in Carolina he's either been scratched or not played, so he didn't exactly get the fresh start some had expected him to get after all.

The team desperately, desperately needs someone who can drop into the top six. O'Sullivan, especially if he can play wing, would be capable of providing that production given good line mates and half a chance.

His defensive shortcomings would be offset by a Gionta/Gomez pairing who are both very good in their own end. He got lit up in Edmonton, but so did that entire team.

He's on waivers today and has only a one year deal at near the league minimum. I believe it may even be a two-way deal.

There is literally no risk. Bring him in, give him a tryout there, and if he flops... waivers and to the ECHL for all I care. He's off the books at the end of the year.

There are lots of waiver wire threads, so I know this gets old, but in this case I see O'Sullivan as an equal calibre prospect to Pouliot. I hope someone claims him for his sake, and I think Montreal has a hole that he could fill.

Old
11-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I always liked O'Sullivan, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot however in the last 2 years he has been very disappointing. Not sure if he would be the solution as I don't think he is much better then Pouliot. I still think we need a better player to fill that spot, maybe around the trade deadline as we are playing well now and still winning not needing to rush and make a move

Old
11-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Kriss E

Rather sign a guy like Nolan that at least brings size.

Before signing anybody though, I would like to try out guys like Palushaj or MaxPac.

Old
11-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Interesting choice, he's shown talent in the past. I don't know what happened to cause his stock to plummet so much.

Old
11-22-2010, 11:54 AM
smon

His cap hit is 600k at the NHL level.

Could take a flier on him and demote Boyd. He didn't get much of a chance with fourth-line minutes in Carolina, but it's troubling that he couldn't make their team out of training camp.

The problem is, unlike Pouliot, he cannot slide into a third or fourth line role. He needs to be in the top six to have any positive impact, and I don't know if he's got the skills necessary. He did have one good year, but posted fairly weak numbers the two years after it despite getting decent icetime.

Old
11-22-2010, 11:56 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
I pass. Already 4 teams, that's ring a bell for me.

Old
11-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
That's one of my biggest concerns as well. I saw this kid play in juniors and he was quite talented. So there has to be other issues involved to explain why he's bounced around so much.

Old
11-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
All depends what those teams were expecting from him, he had a good year in LA and a decent one last year for the Oilers despite them being the worse team in the league

Old
11-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Mad Habber

Since we are doing good right now, I think the best thing to do is just to sit tight and save the cap space. We aren't in danger of falling out of the playoff race right now anyways.

Wait until the deadline and pick up a guy like Langenbrunner who could be slotted into a top 6 or even top 9 position.

Old
11-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
His cap hit is 600k at the NHL level.

Could take a flier on him and demote Boyd. He didn't get much of a chance with fourth-line minutes in Carolina, but it's troubling that he couldn't make their team out of training camp.

The problem is, unlike Pouliot, he cannot slide into a third or fourth line role. He needs to be in the top six to have any positive impact, and I don't know if he's got the skills necessary. He did have one good year, but posted fairly weak numbers the two years after it despite getting decent icetime.
Actually it was the same thing with Pouliot. That's why last year he looked so bad when placed on bottom lines.
This year, he's a lot more defensively responsible.

Martin is doing this with every single player of his. That's why I believed Martin/Gainey went after guys like Gomez, Gionta and Cammy. They had already played in defensive systems (NJ for Gomez-Gionta and CGY for Cammy).
He wants every single one of his forwards to know how to play in the neutral and defensive zone.

Old
11-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I think the key evaluation would be on whatever character/training/etc issues are perceived to exist which account for his downfall. If there aren't any really big problems there, then what the heck, anything's worth a try at this point.

Although I'd still prefer Nolan or even Satan I guess as more veteran/proven zero-cost hail mary attempts.

Old
11-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
That's one of my biggest concerns as well. I saw this kid play in juniors and he was quite talented. So there has to be other issues involved to explain why he's bounced around so much.
From what I've pieced together over the years of following him, there were some maturity issues early (thus we went to LA). I got the impression Edmonton specifically wanted him though, which is why he moved again. Think more Lars Eller on that one. Sometimes you give up someone good.

Then he got bought out because he made too much money and the Oilers were bringing in three top flight forward prospects.

Thus his 4th team.

The one troubling part, I agree, is his inability to crack the top six in Carolina, but unlike most teams, Montreal has a giant, Max Lapierre shaped hole in that top six... so why not?

I'd prefer someone bigger too, but unlike Nolan, this guy has a future in the league if it works out. Nolan would be at best a one or two year solution.

Plus, claiming him off waivers doesn't exactly change anything. If it doesn't work, Nolan is still out there.

Kriss E is right though... Martin might eat him alive.

Old
11-22-2010, 12:09 PM
alexstream

Brian Savage
Peter Schafer
Patrick O'Sullivan

guys who need a top Playmaker & a guy who goes in the corner on their lines and they then need lots of icetime to get to 25 goals and they do not do nor bring anything else to the table. Ryder is a notch above. I will add Guillaume Latendresse to that category in a couple of years.

Old
11-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
Brian Savage
Peter Schafer
Patrick O'Sullivan

guys who need a top Playmaker & a guy who goes in the corner on their lines and they then need lots of icetime to get to 25 goals and they do not do nor bring anything else to the table. Ryder is a notch above. I will add Guillaume Latendresse to that category in a couple of years.
If Brian Savage was still playing, I'd take him over Max Lapierre (in the top six).

Old
11-22-2010, 12:23 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Any known chemistry with Cammalleri? They did come from the same organization and have spent a whole season together.

Old
11-22-2010, 12:25 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

If we needed someone like him I'd rather give a shot to Palushaj or Desharnais. Cheaper and they (especially Desharnais) deserve a shot at the NHL more than POS deserves to be kept there.

Old
11-22-2010, 12:26 PM
E = CH²

Just gonna post this in case people don't know..

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/whoselifeisit/story.html

Don't know if that's why he's struggling or not.

Old
11-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
Any known chemistry with Cammalleri? They did come from the same organization and have spent a whole season together.
A quick google check says no.

That was Cammy's worst year. He got hurt, and O'Sullivan actually took his job, leading to his trip to Calgary that summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Just gonna post this in case people don't know..

Don't know if that's why he's struggling or not.
I thought I remembered this, but I couldn't remember the details so I left it off.

Sad story, and strange he went to Carolina this summer (where his Dad lived, as of 2004 at least), but shouldn't matter either way. If O'Sullivan is fully invested in playing, that should be the only question.

The thing is... is he even struggling? He had one off year! He has barely played this year in any real role, and even then, it's only 10 games.

One bad season on a horrific team (and he still had 30+ points) is not enough to write off a former top prospect, in my books.

Last edited by Lucius: 11-22-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old
11-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Interesting choice, he's shown talent in the past. I don't know what happened to cause his stock to plummet so much.

Quote:
CATHIE MARTIN: It was verbal abuse. John's very, very loud, so when he would yell at the hockey rink, everybody could hear it and he was the coach on the bench.

As Patrick's game got better, his father's behaviour got worse. After one game, John stopped the car a mile from home and made Patrick run as punishment for not playing good enough.

Cathie Martin says the abuse started early, at the age of nine.

CATHIE MARTIN: Hitting, pushing, kicking, punching, throwing stuff. If you got in the way of it, tough luck. He didn't care what he did to hurt.

The O'Sullivan family focused on Patrick's hockey career.

At 15 Patrick was chosen one of the top players in America and named to Team USA. His new coach NHL veteran Moe Mantha, remembers that Patrick had a rare talent and passion for the game. But he also saw that his father, John O'Sullivan, was obsessed.
This would (I imagine) scare certain teams away.

Old
11-22-2010, 12:35 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I'm a big Sullivan fan, and even though hes bounced around he could take off with us. Happend with Matt Carle, and now hes playing great in Philly, yes he has Pronger but still.

Old
11-22-2010, 12:39 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I'm sympathetic towards the troubles O'Sullivan's had with his father, but people really need to stop bringing it up as if it's an explanation why he hasn't reached his potential. He's a grown man in the NHL (well for the time being), it's not like he's still being driven to the rink by his dad. I understand that kind of stuff weighs heavily and doesn't go away easily but at the end of the day...maybe he's just not as good a hockey player as everyone thought?

Old
11-22-2010, 12:40 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHLÉTIQUE_CANADIEN View Post

This would (I imagine) scare certain teams away.
When he was 18 maybe, but the guy is an adult and I doubt his dad has time to be at every game and really impose his will at the NHL level. It's like saying Bobby Ryan is screwed now cuz of his history. It's the past.

As for patrick....well...I like his talent and skillset and his price tag, free in terms of compensation and league min salary are worth a try IMO.

Old
11-22-2010, 12:44 PM
neofury*

I see the habs targeting Langenbrunner to be honest. Might even be before deadline.

With the team we have, NJD position and his salary/years left, to me it seems almost like something that would be stupid of the habs to pass up.

Equally stupid of NJD to not shop the guy.

Old
11-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Lucius

Another note, and we'd need to ask an Oilers fan to be sure, but I'm like 95% sure he used to play the point on the PP too.

I am a huge Weber fan, but I'd rather O'Sullivan in the line-up at forward

Old
11-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Lucius

I guess we'll never know.

Minnesota grabbed him, and they have a higher waiver priority than Montreal.

Closed Thread