HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards/Mike Ribeiro Are They Options?

Old
11-22-2010, 01:54 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
And, again, you keep broadening the argument. Again, I never defended the Debbies signing Kovalchuk. All I disputed was that it did not keep the Debbies from addressing the issues on defense. Again, whether or not they made the correct choices was not what I argued. The Kovalchuk signing caused other problems, but, those weren't the issues that were being discussed. And, the Debbies' problem run deeper than just the Kovalchuk signing. Start with the inability to draft and develop quality young D-men, and then throw in the prior poor signings of players like Elias, who's not worth his contract and Zubrus...plenty of cap-choking contracts. Brodeur has been awful in the playoffs. I never thought Kovalchuk was a good fit for the Debbies last year. And, I am not disputing anything you just posted. But, again, none of that was what was being debated.
Thje argument has to be broader. In a salary cap world, one move often dictates several others.

Me? I'm thrilled Lou has made such a mess -- this isn't the first time he's mismanaged contracts (i.e. Rafalski, Madden) or the cap (i.e. Malahov) yet he is still so revered. I don't know why.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Vitto79

I remember when they were tight on the cap they got Morris for Prucha, Dawes and Kalinin and Kalinin was an obvios salary move to make it happen then he went to the KHL as a UFA

sooooo in theory they could move Frolov and Rozsival at 9 million and combine that with Christensen , Gilroy ,picks and a top prospect like Grachev for Richards and a guy like Daley who can slot into Rozies spot?

Talking out of my rear but it would work dollar wise no?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 02:03 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I remember when they were tight on the cap they got Morris for Prucha, Dawes and Kalinin and Kalinin was an obvios salary move to make it happen then he went to the KHL as a UFA

sooooo in theory they could move Frolov and Rozsival at 9 million and combine that with Christensen , Gilroy ,picks and a top prospect like Grachev for Richards and a guy like Daley who can slot into Rozies spot?

Talking out of my rear but it would work dollar wise no?
Boy that offer does nothing for the Stars. Christensen and Gilroy are not the basis for a package. They are throw ins. The only thing that has less value than Christensen or Gilroy is Christensen and Gilroy.

11-22-2010, 02:06 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Any trade with the Stars for Richards is going to see Rozsival and McDonagh, among other things, going the other way. They need young defense, we can afford to move McDonagh, and we need to move Rozsival to make the numbers work.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 02:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Any trade with the Stars for Richards is going to see Rozsival and McDonagh, among other things, going the other way. They need young defense, we can afford to move McDonagh, and we need to move Rozsival to make the numbers work.
And that's assuming that they want Rozsival.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 02:12 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't see why they wouldn't, to be honest. Their defense is paltry, they have financial issues, and his real salary is less than his cap hit. Plus, he's off the books after next season, so if they don't like him they can let him go or move him at the deadline next year as a rental.

Old
11-22-2010, 02:35 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
You probably have to include a forward prospect not named Kreider, and perhaps the Caps 2nd rounder, especially if you don't want to include a #1.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 02:37 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
If Steve Eminger is a permanent fixture on one of our top 2 defensive pairings for an entire season, lord help us all!

That will not fly....
Richards & Eminger >>> Roszival & Christensen

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Yeah I don't see what the big uproar is about moving Rozsival. Sauer and Eminger are both there at RD to absorb minutes if needed. I would love to be able to move both his and Drury's salaries though. That would be ... freedom.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
being realistic on their end they are not going to find many teams that have the cap space sothey literally have to take a contract back. Rozy is a 5 million cap hit but only 3 million in actual dollars...........I can see the Stars liking that

this rumor is going to carry on all year until the inevitable and Richards is moved

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 03:27 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
You probably have to include a forward prospect not named Kreider, and perhaps the Caps 2nd rounder, especially if you don't want to include a #1.
Grachev would be the obvious, and I'd be fine with that. I don't want to trade any of Kreider, Thomas, Werek, Horak, Stepan, Sauer, or Valentenko.

McDonagh, Grachev, McIlrath, Kundratek, Hagelin, or Bourque...take any 2 plus Rozsival and White and it's a deal.

Or take Rozsival, White, McDonagh and 2011 first. I'd be all right with that, because we'll be a playoff team this season, especially if we get Richards, and our system is fairly deep and our team is very young.

Old
11-22-2010, 03:30 PM
MSG the place to be*

If we are actually (as opposed to wishful thinking) well positioned to be a Stanley Cup contender once we shed some contracts and add some star-power, why are we gonna blow that on Brad Richards or Mike Ribeiro.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 03:30 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
being realistic on their end they are not going to find many teams that have the cap space sothey literally have to take a contract back. Rozy is a 5 million cap hit but only 3 million in actual dollars...........I can see the Stars liking that

this rumor is going to carry on all year until the inevitable and Richards is moved
So it's assuming they want Rozsival.....

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 03:35 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Yeah I don't see what the big uproar is about moving Rozsival. Sauer and Eminger are both there at RD to absorb minutes if needed. I would love to be able to move both his and Drury's salaries though. That would be ... freedom.
Don't even think about it as Eminger replacing him. Just Sauer, because so far, Sauer has not shown himself to be incapable of doing that. He's not a kid fresh out of juniors or the NCAA. He's been in the A for a while. He knows what he's doing. So if you don't think Eminger should be part of the future, then nothing has really changed. He's still a third-pairing guy you want to get upgrade at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
If we are actually (as opposed to wishful thinking) well positioned to be a Stanley Cup contender once we shed some contracts and add some star-power, why are we gonna blow that on Brad Richards or Mike Ribeiro.
Mike Ribeiro would be blowing it. Brad Richards, one of the top 10 playmakers in the league, fills our biggest need and is tailor made to play with Marian Gaborik.

Can you imagine Richards and Gaborik on the Power Play? Gaborik would be up at 50-55 every year.

Old
11-22-2010, 04:02 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

But then what happens if Richards doesn't resign? We're kind of ****ed.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 04:24 PM
XLJ

The more I think about it the more it makes sense to go after Richards at the deadline. I like Rozy but people here cant be serious about not wanting to dump him to get Richards. Eminger has played better and you increase Sauer role a little bit.

Richards brings in high end skill something we are lacking. THe year after when Drury and Rozsival contracts expire there really aren't any impact players as free agents. They got to make a run at Richards now. You put Richards on this current rangers team they will become very dangerous.

From what I read Dallas loves McIlrath and would of drafted him if we didn't. I would do something like Grachev, McIlrath or McDonagh, some picks and maybe another young forward prospect for Richards. And find a team that will take Rozsival & send White to hartford. Richards and Torts get along real well he will resign if we get him.

And if we have to buyout Drury in the summer to make sure we resign Dubinsky & Callahan so be it.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 04:28 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
The more I think about it the more it makes sense to go after Richards at the deadline. I like Rozy but people here cant be serious about not wanting to dump him to get Richards. Eminger has played better and you increase Sauer role a little bit.

Richards brings in high end skill something we are lacking. THe year after when Drury and Rozsival contracts expire there really aren't any impact players as free agents. They got to make a run at Richards now. You put Richards on this current rangers team they will become very dangerous.

From what I read Dallas loves McIlrath and would of drafted him if we didn't. I would do something like Grachev, McIlrath or McDonagh, some picks and maybe another young forward prospect for Richards. And find a team that will take Rozsival & send White to hartford. Richards and Torts get along real well he will resign if we get him.

And if we have to buyout Drury in the summer to make sure we resign Dubinsky & Callahan so be it.

If we give up Mcilrath for a rental who will be hard to resign it would be a disaster. Not based on what I think of Mcilrath, but based on what the organization is supposed to think of him.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Yeah, to resign Richards, we'd have to move even more salary. Not to mention that I would expect the Stars to ask for Stepan/Anisimov, who I would ABSOLUTELY NOT give up. Then we have to resign him and might be forced to give away Dubi/Cally who are both expecting raises. Ribeiro wouldn't cost us nearly as much and has been right around a PPG the last three years as a playmaker which is exactly what we need for Gabby. It allows the Stars to keep Richards.

Rangers Send:

Rozsival
Frolov
McDonagh

Dallas Sends:

Ribeiro
Karlis Skrastins

The cap hit we'd be sending is a little higher but the real salaries are nearly even for this year. They can dump Frolov after this year to save 3 million, not to mention that Rozie only makes 3 next year and McDonagh can start on their defense right away on an ELC. This moves improves their defense and lets them keep Richards.

For us, we downgrade our defense with Skrastins but he's an expiring after this year. Plus, we can definitely make a move for a D-Man at the deadline this year. Rozie is good but there are names out there that can step in as replacements. Just by looking at upcoming free agents on poor teams, here's some names.

Ian White, Steve Staios, Mark Giordano, Kaberle, McCabe, Pitkanen, Babchuk, Brent Sopel.

Dubinksy-Ribeiro-Gaborik
Prospal-Anisimov-Callahan
Fedotenko-Stepan-Drury
Avery-Boyle-Prust
Extras: Boogie, EC

Staal-Girardi
MDZ-Eminger
Sauer-Skrastins/Gilroy

With the option to grade a deadline D-Man for cheap.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 05:05 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Rozsival, McDonagh, Valentenko, Sauer...send em all packing. Who needs defense.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote